PDA

View Full Version : the likelihood of Mahinmi coming?

Halberto
06-24-2009, 06:38 AM
I think it will finally happen. A few points:

The need for a big man - obvious
Cost to bring him in? nothing.... big plus
Although being injured, he's shown some promise in the past summer leagues and D-league play. It would only make him better to practice with Duncan
We have a lot of roster spots available now, why not? Especially if the Spurs trade two players for a good center.
Risk involved = none, if he's struggling ... make him a Darko
There is a good chance he'll be better than anyone we can get in the second round
I don't see the Spurs signing 2 other big men because of the luxury tax

I don't think he will be more than a 6ppg and 4rpg in 10mpg guy, but still he's a body we could use.

timvp
06-24-2009, 06:40 AM
the likelihood of Mahinmi coming?He's already here. It's just a matter of staying healthy.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-24-2009, 06:44 AM
I don't think he will be more than a 6ppg and 4rpg in 10mpg guy, but still he's a body we could use.

If he's able to get these numbers or similar for the whole season, he would be exceeding all expectations.

z0sa
06-24-2009, 06:47 AM
I'd say Ian definitely averages 12-15mpg. All I need is solid defense and rebounding, Some shotblocking would be great, too, but from what I've read and seen he seems a bit foul-prone. But, we'll see what happens now that he can truly come in and fill a role as 4th or even 3rd big.

stxspurs
06-24-2009, 07:03 AM
I think it will finally happen. A few points:

The need for a big man - obvious
Cost to bring him in? nothing.... big plus
Although being injured, he's shown some promise in the past summer leagues and D-league play. It would only make him better to practice with Duncan
We have a lot of roster spots available now, why not? Especially if the Spurs trade two players for a good center.
Risk involved = none, if he's struggling ... make him a Darko
There is a good chance he'll be better than anyone we can get in the second round
I don't see the Spurs signing 2 other big men because of the luxury tax

bring him in?? where the hell have u been

Halberto
06-24-2009, 07:07 AM
I know he's been injured all season, but hasn't he technically been on the Toros?

colargol
06-24-2009, 07:17 AM
i bet Ian gonna have more minutes than expected.....
i really think he was in the Pop game plan last year and his injury cost the Spurs a lot more than wee think....his injury explain a lot about the Spurs last year shitty rotations.
I am far from a Mahimi homer but it was the only reason i found to explain our so-so 2008 season....

bigfan
06-24-2009, 08:05 AM
The Spurs need to play this dude and if he cant stay healthy, dump him at the end of his contract.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 08:16 AM
I know he's been injured all season, but hasn't he technically been on the Toros?

Doesn't matter. He's on an NBA contract.

spursfan1000
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
We never knowbut Ian Mahhami can turn into a success sort of what Bynum was for the lakers, but thats a real slim possibility,hopefully all this time the Spurs waited for him will pay off.:flag:

manufan10
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
The Spurs should start Ian, and bring Bonner off the bench (if they don't bring in another quality big). Play them both quality or even minutes at the beginning of the season. If Ian proves to be a good asset, give him more minutes as the season progresses. If he doesn't get better or prove to be a valuable asset to the team, look for a good trade near the trade deadline to bring in a new big. That is, of course, if the FO doesn't bring in someone or sign someone that can be of good service.

Chieflion
06-24-2009, 08:37 AM
We just need another guy like Kurt Thomas back at a cheaper price who can rebound and defend. Just need Ian to fill in that role.

Obstructed_View
06-24-2009, 12:32 PM

No, to be on the Toros he occupies a roster spot with the Spurs. He's under contract. The point you were making was more about contribution, though, and it's a good point. We've been debating this one for a while.

The suggestion that he's a china doll is premature. The biggest questions he faces this year are can he be aggressive, can he rebound and give energy and can he stay out of foul trouble and Pop's doghouse.

Supergirl
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
if Mahinmi is healthy, our big man problem is solved. But that's a big if.

boutons_deux
06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
health is only one item keeping him off the court, the other is excessive fouling.

EricB
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I keep hearing all these great things about this guy. Cliche: Time to put up or shut up.
I mean he warms the bench in those expensive suits better than I've seen anyone since Bateer, but I need to see this guy play already! It's now or never.

Put up for shut up?

The guys like 22....

nkdlunch
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Put up for shut up?

The guys like 22....

he has lost 2 years due to injuries

El Fuego
06-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I love this block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm7-f76h0s

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 03:20 PM
As of today I don't see how the Spurs can be counting on Mahinmi to fill a role. He's still an unknown at the NBA level. We're all hoping for the best, but in terms of filling out the roster the Spurs need to be assuming Mahinmi won't be in the rotation.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm sure they have a plan for a starting big man, so I don't think that'll be the case..assuming Ian will be in the top 12 isn't really a risky prediction though, since those last few spots can be changed around..

Spurtacus
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I love this block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm7-f76h0s

That got me fired up. He has lots of potential; just needs to stay healthy!

bigdog
06-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Mahinmi would barely be enterting the draft this year had he been in the states, and went to college for 4 years. there is no reason to be giving up on him right now. The dude is only 22. He still has a LOT of time to prove what he's worth.

Russ
06-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I wonder if Pop and Mahinmi can coexist over the long haul. Mahinmi doesn't seem like he would be adept at picking up rotations and other Spurs basketball commandments. Could be an interesting and entertaining relationship while it lasts.

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 07:16 PM
If we have Manu healthy, TP, Timmy, and RJ in the lineup, we don't need an All Star big. All we need is a guy who can play defense and get rebounds. Ian can do that. Though a Rasheed or McDyess would be a hell of an add on.

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I think Ian will be solid, we just need to get a little insurance. Might as well load up as much as we can, the momentum is now on our side to get the necessary players after the RJ heist.