PDA

View Full Version : spurs FO picked a perfect player in RJ

spurspokesman
06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
As much as I have been critical of some of the moves the FO has made I think its only right to give them props when they make a good move. I was thrilled to see rj to the spurs scrolling across the bottom of my screen. He instantly makes this team better. 1.he can get his own shot and he can take pressure off of the B3 with his flat out scoring ability.

2. He is a well rounded defender(notgreat) that hustles and also does a good job on the boards.

3. Good personality that will blend right in with the system and team.He's not a me player and believes in team concept.

4.He comes with experience and wants to win.

5. He aint ancient(not the youngest but still has many good years left.) And is for the most part pretty durable.

I'm expecting good things for these spurs this coming year. Hope the FO remains active because were one move away from being the force we once were. Let's go spurs

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 08:11 AM
+1.

There's no way anyone could crap on this trade. 100% upgrade to the SF position.

Chieflion
06-24-2009, 08:28 AM
All parts except the rebounding part is correct. Heard from Bucks fan (they don't have many but still), when Bogut was injured, your rebounding totals should increase, however, his rebounding still hovered around 4.5 per game. That is pretty bad. His PER was quite average but it could improve if he is in a better offensive system. We will see what happens in the preseason.

ginobilized
06-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Great acquisition by the Spurs. Props to RC, Pop, and the ownership!
One thing I like about RJ is his speed and ability to run on fastbreak opportunities. This will get us more points having a 3 that can keep up with TP and Manu. We haven't had that since Stephen Jackson.

I can hardly wait to see what's next in RC's "exciting" moves during the draft and free agency.

What a pleasant surprise to see the Spurs make the first big move of the off-season. That says a lot about our organization and a commitment to winning.

GO SPURS!

hater
06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
he's also gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that

nkdlunch
06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
he's far from perfect. His defense is mediocre at best. And he is way too inconsistent.

But still, it's a great start to Spurs season. They are going all out for this and next year. And they should because it's probably the last 2 years of the big 3 having a chance at a title.

THey still need to make a couple of big moves to get them to compete vs. Lakers though.

kace
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
he's far from perfect. His defense is mediocre at best. And he is way too inconsistent.

But still, it's a great start to Spurs season. They are going all out for this and next year. And they should because it's probably the last 2 years of the big 3 having a chance at a title.

THey still need to make a couple of big moves to get them to compete vs. Lakers though.

you, and a lot of others fans here, are crazy to think that we're so far from the lakers. It's just BS, sorry.

with the big 3 healthy, we're not that much weaker than them. with the big 3 + RJ, we are, talent wise, at their level without a doubt.

Add a reliable big and i just don't see any team more talented than us. We would be there with the best teams of the league. and i'm not even talking about experience and clutchness, areas where we're better than most of others contenders.

Health and Luck would be, as always, the last steps to the fifth title then.

nkdlunch
06-24-2009, 09:15 AM
you, and a lot of others fans here, are crazy to think that we're so far from the lakers. It's just BS, sorry.

with the big 3 healthy, we're not that much weaker than them. with the big 3 + RJ, we are, talent wise, at their level without a doubt.

Add a reliable big and i just don't see any team more talented than us. We would be there with the best teams of the league. and i'm not even talking about experience and clutchness, areas where we're better than most of others contenders.

Health and Luck would be, as always, the last steps to the fifth title then.

huh, yes we are much weaker. WHo the hell is gonna guart Odom/Gasol/Bynum??? Bonner? a rookie Ian??? :rolleyes

with big 3 health we lose to Lakers in 4 maybe 5. With RJ, in 6 at most.

which means we need a couple of big moves to even compete. :bang

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Jefferson is NOT a #1 option. Yet he was forced into that role last season, after injuries depleted the Bucks. Fortunately, he doesn't have to be that on this team.

Is his salary excessive for a player like him? Probably. Can he be a better defender? Absolutely. Should he be expected to pound the glass more? Sure.

Folks, we can dwell on some of RJ's flaws, but in doing so, we'd be missing the point of this trade. The Spurs have been grossly overmatched at the SF position in virtually every game and against every opponent. RJ provides an immediate upgrade for that spot. He bolsters the offense and will present another perimeter threat that can get to the line - something the Spurs have not been very good at. He's an athletic player, capable defender and dependable 3-pt shooter, than anyone we've had since Sean Elliott. This is a 20 ppg starter that the Spurs got for basically nil.

He's not a perfect player, nor is he a superstar. However, he will fit perfectly into the role the Spurs are expecting from him. Unless, of course, you'd would rather continue to see Finley get 36 mpg at the position, while watching guys like Durant, Roy and Carmelo wipe the floor with him for another year.

spursfaninla
06-24-2009, 10:24 AM
huh, yes we are much weaker. WHo the hell is gonna guart Odom/Gasol/Bynum??? Bonner? a rookie Ian??? :rolleyes

with big 3 health we lose to Lakers in 4 maybe 5. With RJ, in 6 at most.

which means we need a couple of big moves to even compete. :bang

Maybe you didn't watch the lakers this year, but they didn't play their big front line all together. This was for a reason other than Bynum just getting back.

It is because Odom is not as good a defender as Ariza, and there is only 1 ball. Odom is their 6th man, a good scorer, but we don't have to worry about guarding all 3 at once.

Tim can guard either of Bynum/Gasol. RJ will guard the SF on the floor: sure, Odom is too big for him, but he was too big for anyone on our team near that position last year, and the year before.

Which of them will guard Tim?

Who guards Tony?

Sure, we need a better front court defender, and Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Ariza/Bynum is better than Tony/Duncan/Manu/RJ, but one more trade of cap relief contracts for a bigman, or an addition with the MLE, and I think we are at least even with them.

Remember, they really have no PG who is CLOSE to keeping up with TP.

spurspokesman
06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
All parts except the rebounding part is correct. Heard from Bucks fan (they don't have many but still), when Bogut was injured, your rebounding totals should increase, however, his rebounding still hovered around 4.5 per game. That is pretty bad. His PER was quite average but it could improve if he is in a better offensive system. We will see what happens in the preseason.
Agree but he is superior to our wings in rebounding and he will improve in our system as you mentioned

spurspokesman
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Jefferson is NOT a #1 option. Yet he was forced into that role last season, after injuries depleted the Bucks. Fortunately, he doesn't have to be that on this team.

Is his salary excessive for a player like him? Probably. Can he be a better defender? Absolutely. Should he be expected to pound the glass more? Sure.

Folks, we can dwell on some of RJ's flaws, but in doing so, we'd be missing the point of this trade. The Spurs have been grossly overmatched at the SF position in virtually every game and against every opponent. RJ provides an immediate upgrade for that spot. He bolsters the offense and will present another perimeter threat that can get to the line - something the Spurs have not been very good at. He's an athletic player, capable defender and dependable 3-pt shooter, than anyone we've had since Sean Elliott. This is a 20 ppg starter that the Spurs got for basically nil.

He's not a perfect player, nor is he a superstar. However, he will fit perfectly into the role the Spurs are expecting from him. Unless, of course, you'd would rather continue to see Finley get 36 mpg at the position, while watching guys like Durant, Roy and Carmelo wipe the floor with him for another year.
+1. Thank you. Finally the spurs get a wing that can actually ball and contribute right away and the underappreciation starts. Wow. Who cares about his sex preference or anything else. I respect him as a player and its what he does in that silver and black uni that matters to me. He is a perfect fit and thank god the FO was aware of it and snagged him. End of story

rayray2k8
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
You couldn't put his in one of the Jefferson threads?

spurspokesman
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
You couldn't put his in one of the Jefferson threads?
Nah.

silk
06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Are these face to face players anlysis really all that valuable, i mean, it's the team play and chemistry which make a difference, even in some of our title years, there were some teams with a startin five more talented on paper, that hasn't stopped us from beatin' the crap out of them