PDA

View Full Version : What can a Bonner and Mason package get us?

twilo73
06-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Enough to trade for a quality big man like Camby? Anyone else?

Before you guys flip out that Manu can't play 40 minutes at SG, we will always have option there with Hill, Finley, FA, or Draft.

Steve-O-Matic
06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Enough to trade for a quality big man like Camby?

Not even close.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Not even close.

They were willling to trade Camby for Mike Miller. And Ric Bucher stated a week ago they were on the verge of giving him to the Thunder for nothing. It is possible.

manufan10
06-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Don't forget, it is the Clippers and Donald Sterling we're talking about. As well as Mike Dunleavy. They make a lot of head scratching moves, so it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 10:41 AM
If Finley opts to stay, then you have $9 mil to trade and can conceivably take back a $10 mil salary by dealing Bonner, Mason, and Finley. If the Spurs find a no-brainer deal like the Jefferson one, sure. Mainly I'd be hesitant to move Mason unless it improves the team. Free agency should be used to address the bigman rotation.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
They were willling to trade Camby for Mike Miller. And Ric Bucher stated a week ago they were on the verge of giving him to the Thunder for nothing. It is possible.

Mike Miller is a better player than Roger Mason.

That being said, if the Clippers are willing to give us Camby for Mason/Bonner/Williams, I'm 100% in favor of it.

fyatuk
06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Before you guys flip out that Manu can't play 40 minutes at SG, we will always have option there with Hill, Finley, FA, or Draft.

Finley should NEVER play 2 guard. He just can't do it anymore for anything other than spot duty. Might find a gem in the draft, but not likely even anything serviceable for this coming season.

As far as FA goes, we're probably looking at Hairston, Williams, or a long-in-the-tooth-vet-min player to be named later for filling what wing spots are left. The question is do you trust either of thos options realizing that Manu should not play more than 25-30 minutes a game, and Hill will likely get no more than 5-10 minutes at 2, if that (aka you need somewhere around 10-15 minutes, not including any empty space at 3).

vander
06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't trade either Bonner or Mason for Camby, that guy's a joke.

Bonner and Mason will be our best 3 point shooters next year, we will need them.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Not by much. Mason had a better year last year if you take last year in consideration. Not to mention I like how you ignored how I said Ric Bucher stated via Twitter that Clippers were willing to trade Camby to the Thunder for nothing.

angel_luv
06-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I want to keep Mason.

I like Bonner too. But would part with him if the the right offer was made.
I want to give Mason more time with us though.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure that a trade is where we need to go to find a big, unless it's someone that is better, and healthier than Camby A couple of years ago, I would have wanted Camby. Today, not so much.

I think using the LLE and MLE to get a big is our best option.

twilo73
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Any other trades we can pull with those two?

rayray2k8
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Getting rid of dead weight. (Bonner)
Mason becomes trade bait at this point and as well as Finely if he picks up
his option...

manufan10
06-24-2009, 10:51 AM

That being said, if the Clippers are willing to give us Camby for Mason/Bonner/Williams, I'm 100% in favor of it.

Looking at the stats, they are very similar players.

Mike Miller Roger Mason
32 min 30 min
10 ppg 12 ppg
48% FG 43% FG
38% 3p 42% 3p
73% FT 89% FT
7 RPG 3 RGP
5 APG 2 APG
2 TO 1 TO

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Clippers were willing to trade Camby for Mike Miller straight up(Miller has an expiring contract). Clippers first offered the Twolves Kaman for Miller and Twolves were more than willing to get the trade done. When that happened Clippers countered with Camby instead and the Twolves then turned their attention to the Wizards deal. That being said, Clippers need two guard help and Mason would provide that and help Eric Gordon out at the two spot. Mason had a better year last year than Miller and they both have expiring contracts. It was also stated by Ric Bucher that Camby was close to being traded to the Thunder for nothing a week ago.

All that being considered, I believe Mason+ Bonner + Marcus Williams could bring Camby to SA. IMO

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Miller's stats last year are a poor indication because Kevin McHale is a dumbass and didn't know how to use him. Miller's still a guy capable of putting up 16+ ppg.

twilo73
Do the LLE and MLE count against the luxury tax?

TheDarkSide.
probably no bench, that's what it'll get us.

Rover82
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
The danger in continuing to package a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 player is that it a) takes a huge hit on quality depth and b) stacks big salaries on 5 or 6 players with the rest of the squad around the league minimum. The spurs are not going to go this route.

Look for the rights to a foreigner, draft pics, etc. and maybe one player to be involved in a trade. You could maybe trade a bonner and the 37th pick for a late first rounder. Or perhaps a Splitter and 2nd rounder for late first.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Do the LLE and MLE count against the luxury tax?

Only if we use them.

Texas_Ranger
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Finley & Bonner & Williams for Camby

galvatron3000
06-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Manu diesn't need to play 40 minutes no one does unless they are on a bad team and that's the only chance they have at winnning. Manu has a quality rotation guy in the mix with Mason and you can put Hill (possibly Bowen) in too so 25-30 reg. season and 30+ in playoffs is all Manu needs if that's not enough the team we have has other problems.

Bonner and Mason will probably get you a LOL!!!!!! for a quality big man. Who knows maybe there's another Memphis out there.

lefty
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Mason has to stay

He is fucking clutch

hater
06-24-2009, 11:00 AM
yeah, I don't know if I would let Mason go. Mason + Hill make our backcourt one of the deepest in the NBA.

We could resign Oberto and then we'd just need 1 solid big to have a solid team:
Duncan
Sheed/Splitter/??
Ian
Gist
Oberto
Bonner

bigdog
06-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Finley & Bonner & Williams for Camby

Why would the Clippers take Williams back AGAIN? They already paid him(bought him out) to leave, so why would they do that again?

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Why would the Clippers take Williams back AGAIN? They already paid him(bought him out) to leave, so why would they do that again?

Clippers were willing to trade Camby for Mike Miller straight up(Miller has an expiring contract). Clippers first offered the Twolves Kaman for Miller and Twolves were more than willing to get the trade done. When that happened Clippers countered with Camby instead and the Twolves then turned their attention to the Wizards deal. That being said, Clippers need two guard help and Mason would provide that and help Eric Gordon out at the two spot. Mason had a better year last year than Miller and they both have expiring contracts. It was also stated by Ric Bucher that Camby was close to being traded to the Thunder for nothing a week ago.

All that being considered, I believe Mason+ Bonner + Marcus Williams could bring Camby to SA. IMO

Mason would be the main component of the trade in the Clippers eyes. Williams would just be a plug in to make the trade work.

Texas_Ranger
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Mason has to stay

He is fucking clutch

:tu

BacktoBasics
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
If you can get Finley back in the fold then there wouldn't be any real pressing need to include Mason. Mason really isn't a problem to begin with and I think he's a great fit on this team. I'd concentrate on Bonner and Finley for anyone wanting to unload salary or partial salary plus a pick.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I want to keep Mason.

Yea depending on what resources are used to bolster our front line I would be predisposed to keep both too.

Last year they were forced to take on bigger roles than they were suited for and during the playoffs were over matched.

Now they have a years worth more of experience playing at a higher level, which makes me think they will be even better and more confident than your typical role player.

Definitely they will be our snipers.

poop
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Bonner = the albatross

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Our best option from a winning perspective would be to sign a Free Agent and pay the tax, but obviously that may not be completely realistic when looking at it from the owner's perspective..that would be my first option though..

if that doesn't work out, then we should be able to get SOMETHING for Mason/Bonner/Finley..Mason and Bonner aren't just contracts, both guys can be very useful for any team, if not our own..

as for depth..Hill can play the 2, so can Jefferson..we can also stick in one of our other swingmen, whether it's Hairston or Williams or whoever else..it would obviously be better to keep Roger though, but we'll see..

lack of depth is one of the main causes of injury, so I'm sure that's being considered as well..

lefty
06-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Mavs fan following the Rj trade:
"I know the trade made by the Spurs today might cause some of you to panic, but don't worry. There's a few Ukrainian prospects that can contribute to a championship team immediately. Nobody knows about them but me.
Stay tuned"
hahahahahahahhahahaa

Stupid Mavs fans
:lmao

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Bonner = the albatross

Bonner's not an albatross. He's just not someone we want being our second best big man. As long as the Spurs find a PF/C who fits next to Duncan elsewhere I've got no problems with Bonner being on the team. He's a capable role player.

Spurs16212
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
What about Finley, Mason and Bonner for Samuel Dalembert...... Fills the void in the Center Department and allows Timmy to play the four..... Spurs get active in the draft, hopefully get Bowen back and use their mid-level exception on another quality big......

twilo73
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Dalembert is interesting, but I consider Camby more of a sure thing (last year he averaged 10 points, 11 rebounds, and 2+ blocks). Plus Dalembert is signed beyond next year.

Does anyone know why Dalembert struggled somewhat last year?

Spurs16212
06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Dalembert is only 28 years old and would provide a defensive presence alongside Timmy and Mason could be a good addition along with Bonner for Phily...... Finley could be a filler in the deal.....

I like Camby and everything he provides but I like the fact that Dalembert is younger and I feel like there is an upside to him if he plays next to Tim

Stump
06-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't think we can both afford a fifth $10+ million contract and fill our bench with capable roleplayers.

The Spurs' priorities should be to get a starting level center with the MLE or less and fill out the bench.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Dalembert is only 28 years old and would provide a defensive presence alongside Timmy and Mason could be a good addition along with Bonner for Phily...... Finley could be a filler in the deal.....

I like Camby and everything he provides but I like the fact that Dalembert is younger and I feel like there is an upside to him if he plays next to Tim

Dalembert makes no sense financially.

urunobili
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
No to Oberto... he's done...

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Dalmbert wouldn't fit at all with this team..he would be in Pop's doghouse before he even arrived in San Antonio..very low IQ, horrible attitude, and a very emotional player..

Brazil
06-24-2009, 12:54 PM
If possible I would keep Mason, he has been very good at all except playing back up PG and he is clutch we need him.

Vic Petro
06-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Camby is perfect for this basketball team.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd prefer to keep Mason as well. But, it all depends on what we could get in return.

Bruno
06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Unless Spurs decide to play a lot of small ball, Mason won't be able to play a lot of minutes.
I would like to see Spurs keeping Mason but if trading him allow Spurs to get a solid PF/C, he had to be traded.

silk
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
yes, but traded for who ?

i don't really see what are our options, we just need one startin caliber pf, c

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 01:18 PM

I think Camby is the only realistic option via trade. That's just my opinion.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM

Marcus Camby, particularly now that Miller was sent out by the TWolves to Washington. That trade avenue for the Clips is now gone.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I think the only real option for a trade would be Camby, right now. Any other option would have to be in Free Agency.

Spursmania
06-24-2009, 01:45 PM
I want to keep Mason.

+1
I think Mason would do much better at his natural position. Hopefully, no more PG roles for Mason.

As for Bonner though, if he stays, I just hope he is our backup and not a starter. I wouldn't mind parting with him at all if the Spurs had better options.

timvp
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm not a big Camby fan. He's overrated defensively and it's not accident that the Nuggets got better when they let him go.

That said, I'd be fine with a Camby trade as long as it doesn't involve Hill this time. Camby can rebound and block shots ... two things the Spurs need right now. He also has a good enough outside shot to keep teams from sagging too far away.

He's an injury risk but his contract is very reasonable and he'd fill the hole in the middle.

06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
spurs shouldn't be too quick to trade mason. trading mason equals the return of finley and udoka since the spurs will only have two wings remaining. mason at third string point guard is also better than the return of jacque vaughn. spurs have an adequate amount of bigs with duncan, bonner, mahinmi, and possibly gist, only needing to sign one or two off the FA.

mason will be able to play good minutes next to jefferson since he will be open more often. right now the spurs only need to plug a small hole at the center spot and should not create more holes trying to fill it. a healthy duo of parker and ginobili is the best backcourt in the NBA and hill + mason would be great backups.

kace
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Unless Spurs decide to play a lot of small ball, Mason won't be able to play a lot of minutes.
I would like to see Spurs keeping Mason but if trading him allow Spurs to get a solid PF/C, he had to be traded.

well, assuming manu plays 28 mpg, RJ 34 mpg and Hill 8 mpg (at the 2), that's still 26 mpg left for other(s) player(s) in RS at the 2 and 3 positions.

Bowen, if back, could share that with Hairston maybe.(13 mpg each one)

but in PO, these minutes left will decrease, as you mentionned, and that's true that won't let too many minutes to play for a fourth player (Mason ie).

Mason is done i think if we're going to trade some players for a big.

peter_slb
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Mason has to stay

He is fucking clutch

we don't need a player that is "fucking clutch" in 3/4 games of the season, we need a player that can take the pressure of playing in the Playoffs for a team that wants to win the championship. Mason was our second worst player in the Playoffs (only Bonner was worse), so if he has value for what he has done in the rest of the season, I would trade him without thinking twice.

bigfan
06-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Bonner, Finley and Mason are trade-bait. I'd like to keep Mason too, but thats exactly why if we can get the right guy he'll be gone, his market value is as high right now as it will get.

Trainwreck2100
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
a pack of skittles

Spurtacus
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
we don't need a player that is "fucking clutch" in 3/4 games of the season, we need a player that can take the pressure of playing in the Playoffs for a team that wants to win the championship. Mason was our second worst player in the Playoffs (only Bonner was worse), so if he has value for what he has done in the rest of the season, I would trade him without thinking twice.

Mason's performance is Pop's fault. He's not a PG.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 06:16 PM

I was as disappointed in Mason as anyone in the playoffs, but the fact remains that was a product of Pop f'ing up his head by moving him to PG.

GSH
06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
I wanted to see Camby play with the Spurs in the worst way, 3-4 years ago. Right now, he would be a great addition, if we got to keep everyone else. But he's not enough to put the Spurs over the top on his own. I'm hopeful that RMJ will be better next season, on both ends of the floor. Who else could the Spurs move into that spot that wouldn't be in learning mode?

wut
06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
If the Spurs want to land a Camby type big man, the only way it happens is by losing Manu.

galvatron3000
06-24-2009, 07:04 PM
CAmby and Rasheed are the top two I can think of at the moment. I'd also like for Pops to return, I love his energy and coming off the bench as a spark plug could prove useful, more useful than resigning Oberto. I don't see the point in resigning him honestly, I like him but not enough to bring him back. His time with us and winning have run their course.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
If the Spurs want to land a Camby type big man, the only way it happens is by losing Manu.

Mason + Bonner +Williams would work for Camby.

Go For Tree
06-24-2009, 07:17 PM
A package of these two would send Penn & Teller to the Spurs. Those are the only 2 that could guarantee a disappearing act in the playoffs.....

spursbird
06-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Why do you all wanna trade Mason? If he's traded, who will be benched for Manu?

elbamba
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Oberto is done and is having heart problems. I do not want him back even for the least amount of money available

timtonymanu
06-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Mason has to stay. Now that the Spurs have an athletic wing, Mason can be put in the Finley role. They should trade Bonner and Finley's contracts.

mingus
06-24-2009, 08:50 PM
i don't think you trade mason if you're the Spurs. he's a good player. problem is he was starting and playing a position he shouldn't (or can't) play, which is pg. with RJ and Manu back, Mason's role as a back-up for Manu is etched out for him - if Pop realizes next year he's not a pg. Mason off the bench would be great. go for big through FA.

PG Parker
SG Ginobili
SF Jefferson
PF Duncan
C McDyess, Wallace or Gortat

Bench
PG Hill
SG Mason
SF Gist (or possibly Bowen if he comes back)
PF Bonner (like mason, forced to start, which he shouldn't be one championship team. he'd be very good 9th option though, esp. since he knows the system)
C Mahinmi

Getting rid of Bonner and Mason would get rid of the potential depth that this ^ team can have.

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I think Duncan + a FA big + Mahinmi is not enough. We need more depth and insurance than that, one more decent big. If it has to be Oberto at the veteran's minimum, then that would be liveable and make sense to me. I think we can and will do better though.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
I think Duncan + a FA big + Mahinmi is not enough. We need more depth and insurance than that, one more decent big. If it has to be Oberto at the veteran's minimum, then that would be liveable and make sense to me. I think we can and will do better though.

That's where a player like a Nesterovic comes in, who could very well be had at the minimum.