PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ainge's reaction to Spurs trade

lurker23
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
In an interview with the Dennis & Callahan Show, Celtics G.M. Danny Ainge gave his thoughts on the Spurs-Bucks trade:

"Did you guys see that Richard Jefferson trade yesterday? Holy cow. San Antonio, they send all the bad contracts away and they get an All-Star caliber player. The Lakers are sweating. That's a great acquisition for San Antonio."

information via Project Spurs, @spurs on Twitter, and WEEI.

http://projectspurs.com/

https://twitter.com/spurs

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2009/06/24/transcript-danny-ainge-on-dc/

BlackSwordsMan
06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
if he really wants to make lakers sweat send KG over here for bonner

whottt
06-24-2009, 01:13 PM
DA is a LakerHater, both personally and it's also demanded of him by his job and probably isn't the most subjective opinion all things considered.

That said...I hope he's right.

Brazil
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM

:lol

Spursmania
06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
if he really wants to make lakers sweat send kg over here for bonner

+2

anjlbitz
06-24-2009, 01:21 PM
KG would be asking too much.. Perkins for Bonner maybe?

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Man, Perkins would be a perfect starting 5 for this team.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Perkins would be absolutely perfect, but there's no chance in Hell.

ambchang
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
How were those bad contracts? I thought those were all expiring. The RJ contract was THE bad contract.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 01:29 PM
He can send us Perkins for Bonner, if he really hates LA.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Ainge is astonished that trades like that can be made without a previous member of your organization on the other end.

BillMc
06-24-2009, 02:12 PM

Hilarious!:lol

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Ainge is astonished that trades like that can be made without a previous member of your organization on the other end.

Supergirl
06-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Y'all are overrating Perkins. He looks a lot better playing next to KG, but he's not really that good. He's gotten better defensively, but he makes a lot of stupid mistakes, and his offense is pretty inconsistent, and he's a mediocre rebounder. Bonner is much better offensively, so Perkins is at most a lateral trade. If we're gonna give up Bonner it needs to be for a defensively solid, excellent rebounding big man. But those are pretty hard to come by.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Y'all are overrating Perkins. He looks a lot better playing next to KG, but he's not really that good. He's gotten better defensively, but he makes a lot of stupid mistakes, and his offense is pretty inconsistent, and he's a mediocre rebounder. Bonner is much better offensively, so Perkins is at most a lateral trade. If we're gonna give up Bonner it needs to be for a defensively solid, excellent rebounding big man. But those are pretty hard to come by.

I hope this is sarcasm..

Perkins is easily one of the best 1 on 1 post defenders in the NBA, and he's arguably the best defensive ROLE PLAYER in the entire league..he's tough, strong, and never backs down..

nkdlunch
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM

:bang

is that why Perkins looked so good in the playoffs with Garnett sidelined??

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Bonner for Perkins a lateral move? Are you drunk right now? Perkins sets great screens, gives hard fouls, can rebound, and is big enough to bull his way to a couple of baskets on the block. Perkins also seems to relish being the bad guy. Perkins reminds me a lot of Rick Fox and Bruce Bowen; players everyone hates but his own teammates love because he's just dirty enough to keep the other team intimidated without going full-out and getting suspended for it. As for the rebounding garbage you brought, he averaged 11 and a half boards against Dwight Howard in the playoffs and for the regular season had 8 boards a night in just under 30 minutes. Perkins looked pretty effective without KG this entire playoffs.

Perkins 11.6 boards vs Dwight Howard
- or -
Bonner 3.2 boards vs Dirk Nowitzki

???

Perkins over Bonner is almost as huge of an upgrade as Jefferson over Finley.

bigfan
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM

SouthTexasRancher
06-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Damn, I like your way of thinking!

BlackSwordsMan For President...!

SouthTexasRancher
06-24-2009, 03:17 PM

We'll throw in Vaughn & Udoka to make sure we get KG.

iilluzioN
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
DAYUM! KG with us?

WildcardManu
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Perkins did pretty well in the playoffs w/o KG.

lefty
06-24-2009, 04:46 PM
da is a lakerhater, both personally and it's also demanded of him by his job and probably isn't the most subjective opinion all things considered.

That said...i hope he's right.
+1

Agloco
06-24-2009, 04:57 PM

+1

While he's at it ,might as well throw in Pierce for Mason.

Agloco
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Fail.

Trainwreck2100
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I doubt the lakers are sweating

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Lakers still have to sign their own 2 guys..they're going to be paying extreme luxury tax..

InRareForm
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Lakers still have to sign their own 2 guys..they're going to be paying extreme luxury tax..

even tho they were going to anyway, i feel like this cements them (buss) from absolutely doing it.

temujin
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
The Kobe-Lakers had their share this year.
Stern has other hungry hearts to feed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Yes, a team with Manu, Parker, Jefferson, and Duncan needs scoring from the five, what were we all thinking?

Mavs<Spurs
06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
SuperGirl drunk, giving up an Epic Fail

Bonner as good as Perkins, lol !:rollin

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/Anderskorn/Demotivator__Epic_Fail.jpg

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Perkins was an all-out dirty rotten thug in the playoffs. No thanks.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 10:04 PM
When somebody thinks you're a "dirty rotten thug" on the court, that means you're doing your job correctly..see: Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry..

manufan10
06-24-2009, 11:07 PM

Duncan>>>>>>>>>>>>KG

Therefore, Perkins would be an NBA All-Star or on the All-NBA team playing alongside Duncan. All this by using your analogy.

Da Spurs
06-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Can somebody answer a question for me? I always thought total contract dollars had to equal each other on both sides of a trade. How was this trade done then? Doesn't Jefferson make like $14 mil?

lurker23
06-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Can somebody answer a question for me? I always thought total contract dollars had to equal each other on both sides of a trade. How was this trade done then? Doesn't Jefferson make like $14 mil?

Since this trade was done before July 1st, the 2008-2009 salary figures are used when calculating whether a trade can be done under the collective bargaining agreement.

Oberto- $3,600,000
Thomas- $4,000,000
Bowen- $4,000,000

Total: $11.6 million

Jefferson: $13.2 million

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q68

"Teams can acquire up to 125% plus $100,000 of the salaries they are trading in a simultaneous trade. For example, a team trading a $5 million player in a simultaneous trade can receive one or more players whose salary is no more than 125% of $5 million, plus $100,000, or $6.35 million in return."

So, the max salary that the Spurs could obtain with those three contracts was:

$11.6 million x 1.25 + $100,000 = $14.6 million.

Since Jefferson's salary was less than this amount, the trade was successful.

(Note: Some of the salaries quoted above are off by somewhere around $200,000, since there were trade kickers and such involved.)

duncan228
06-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the breakdown lurker23. Trade details can get confusing, it's helpful to see it spelled out clearly. :tu

lurker23
06-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the breakdown lurker23. Trade details can get confusing, it's helpful to see it spelled out clearly. :tu

Sure, always happy to help. :)

ambchang
06-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Bowen: 4 million
Oberto: 3.5
Thomas: 4.3

I believe those numbers are close. Either way Bruce hardly played last season and didn't earn that money, Fab has had heart issues and probably would not have played too much and Thomas was just getting old.

You realize that we did trade three old way past their prime players in exchange for an all star basically right?

And you do know that these contracts expire summer of 10, right? The Bucks saved something like $20M through this trade.

The only reason RJ was had for this cheap was because of his absolutely horrible contract. But hey, I love the trade!

TJastal
06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
And you do know that these contracts expire summer of 10, right? The Bucks saved something like $20M through this trade.

The only reason RJ was had for this cheap was because of his absolutely horrible contract. But hey, I love the trade!

Horrible contract? RJ maybe a mil or 2 overpaid and but he's defenitely worth 10m a year at minimum.

Look at Rashard Lewis's 22 million or so contract, now that is a "horrible" contract.

Jefferson is a guy that can give you 20 a game in a variety of ways, can play some defense against the game's best wings, and has been rock solid in attendance the past couple years and you have a player that is exactly... and I mean EXACTLY what the spurs have needed.

Now they just need to convince McDyess to forget Detroit and come sign a contract and the rest of the league will be paralyzed in fear of the spurs. :hat

elbamba
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Perkins would look pretty damn good playing next to Tim Duncan

ambchang
06-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Horrible contract? RJ maybe a mil or 2 overpaid and but he's defenitely worth 10m a year at minimum.

Look at Rashard Lewis's 22 million or so contract, now that is a "horrible" contract.

Jefferson is a guy that can give you 20 a game in a variety of ways, can play some defense against the game's best wings, and has been rock solid in attendance the past couple years and you have a player that is exactly... and I mean EXACTLY what the spurs have needed.

Now they just need to convince McDyess to forget Detroit and come sign a contract and the rest of the league will be paralyzed in fear of the spurs. :hat

Jefferson is owed $14.2 M this year, and has a player option for $15M next year. He would be crazy (or monstrously willing to win) to not get the $15M. Compared that to Bowen, Oberto and Thomas's contract for a combined $9M or so, I just can't see how the Spurs got the better contract, especially when Jefferson is the clear 4th option.

Of course there are worse salaries in the league, and I am not saying that Jefferson's is the worst, just that it is still horrible.

ShoogarBear
06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Rashard Lewis is not making $22 million a year, if that's what you were trying to say.