PDA

View Full Version : Manu and Tony's Egos Vs. RJ's Salary

BillMc
06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
I am very excited by the Jefferson signing. Way to go RC and Holt and Pop!!

Our team has historically ever since the days of Robinson been great at holding egos in check. But, does anyone worry that with Jefferson now the second highest paid player on the team, and no championships, that 3 time winners Manu and Tony will be secretly bugged??? They're total pros but they're also human and competitors.

I'm sure Pop and Timmy will keep everyone inline but petty jealousies have ruined many a talent-laden team.

And while I'm bringing this up, it IS worth every risk and most think Jefferson is a good guy and good teammate so it should help the cause.

And, on a side, note I look forward to seeing Bowen's uniform again this season. Either on him playing for the Spurs or hoisted up into the rafters at a retirement ceremony.

Go Spurs Go!!!

samikeyp
06-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't.

rascal
06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Should not be a problem. They are class professionals and know Jefferson helps the team.

timvp
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
No, those two won't care. Everyone knows RJ is overpaid and that's why the Spurs were able to get him.

EricB
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Ginobili could care less, and Parker seemed excited when they got him, and I gauranteed they both know what he makes, so its a total 100% non issue.

bdictjames
06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't think money is an issue for any of our Big 3.

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Manu and Tony want more rings..they're gonna get more money than they'll ever need. RJ helps them get what they want.

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 01:43 PM
I can't see much chance that Manu or Tony will be affected by RJ's contract.

Their agents, on the other hand, are probably dancing for joy.

TMTTRIO
06-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Well if Manu wasn't bugged by having to come off the bench for everybody from Hedo (although I know at the time Manu did admit it bothered him a little) to Brent to Finley and then to Mason during his prime time when he should've been an AS at least one other time then I know it doesn't bother him. All they care about is winning in the end. I remember Manu saying something like he's never going to remember any of the individual things he accomplished later on after he retires like the 6MOY (I bet :lol) or the only AS game that he made but he's going to remember the rings and the medals that he won.

CGD
06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
No, those two won't care. Everyone knows RJ is overpaid and that's why the Spurs were able to get him.

This is right on point. The interesting question will be if RJ is reasonable about his salary expectations once its time to sign him in 2011...

buttsR4rebounding
06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Both of these guys are close to gods in their home countries. That's why it is so important to them to keep playing on their national teams. Money comes into the equation, but there is a whole lot more to it that RJ doesn't come close to either of these two. (And it probably doesn't matter to him. He is probably just pinching himself just to be out of Milwalkee!)

Supergirl
06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
because the Spurs have never had an overpaid scorer come in and fit right in on the team? Michael Finley never existed?

Seriously though, the Spurs are about as un-ego of a team as you can get. RJ will fit it great, and he is EXACTLY what the Spurs needed. I'm glad we didn't have to give up Manu for a player of his caliber.

CGD
06-24-2009, 02:25 PM
The beauty of the Finley deal was that Cuban picked up the tab...

rayray2k8
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Manu and Tony have egos??

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
No chance..Ginobili and Parker are accustomed to winning, that's the beauty of having such a successful franchise..they know the taste, they love it, and they clearly want more..

ShoogarBear
06-24-2009, 02:45 PM
The beauty of the Finley deal was that Cuban picked up the tab...

Maybe RC can talk Cuban into footing part of the bill for RJ. You know, for old times' sake.

ICE3000
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
well if manu wasn't bugged by having to come off the bench for everybody from hedo (although i know at the time manu did admit it bothered him a little) to brent to finley and then to mason during his prime time when he should've been an as at least one other time then i know it doesn't bother him. All they care about is winning in the end. I remember manu saying something like he's never going to remember any of the individual things he accomplished later on after he retires like the 6moy (i bet :lol) or the only as game that he made but he's going to remember the rings and the medals that he won.

you forgot s-jax

Stump
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
It was the Nets, not the Spurs, that signed him to that deal, so I don't see how it could be used as leverage.

urunobili
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Ginobili could care less, and Parker seemed excited when they got him, and I gauranteed they both know what he makes, so its a total 100% non issue.

link to where i can see that?

duncan228
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
link to where i can see that?

It was in a couple of the articles yesterday. There may have been a little more to the quote, I'll see what I can find.

“He’s a great wing,” said Parker, speaking to reporters before the trade for Jefferson became official Tuesday. “It’s something we don’t have on our team.”

ShoogarBear
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
“He’s a great wing,” said Parker, speaking to reporters before the trade for Jefferson became official Tuesday. “It’s something we don’t have on our team.”

Parker hates Ginobili.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Parker hates Ginobili.

TMTTRIO
06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
This is what Manu said on his Facebook the other night. He didn't really say anything about Jefferson though.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ManuGinobili?ref=nf

Fab and Bruce are leaving. Damn! We know it happens but is hard anyways. We are all gonna miss them. Gotta see the bright side tho, I had the opportunity to meet and play w/a great guy and get to know better one of my favorite teammates ever.

InK
06-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Manu and Parker haven't been and never will be about the money. They could care less. They want another ring and I am sure they are as happy as us to have RJ on the team. Money is secondary to them, their 4th ring is their goal.:lobt2:

All lies. If money was secondary, and titles was the only thing these two cared about, then they would sign for minimum along with Duncan ( who probably only cares about winning as well). That would ensure titles, it would be a 100% closed deal. Athletes care about money, that is their first priority and rightfully so.

Spurtacus
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Is it possible the Spurs can work with RJ to restructure his contract?

bdictjames
06-24-2009, 05:29 PM
All lies. If money was secondary, and titles was the only thing these two cared about, then they would sign for minimum along with Duncan ( who probably only cares about winning as well). That would ensure titles, it would be a 100% closed deal. Athletes care about money, that is their first priority and rightfully so.
International players are different; money's a concern, but winning is important as well. Manu and Parker winning championships and getting the praise of their respective countries is more important than them being rich.

ulosturedge
06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Well Manu and Tony's fame within' their respective countries I think would always be a source of revenue for those guys for years to come.

chasky
06-25-2009, 02:38 AM
This is what Manu said on his Facebook the other night. He didn't really say anything about Jefferson though.

Fab and Bruce are leaving. Damn! We know it happens but is hard anyways. We are all gonna miss them. Gotta see the bright side tho, I had the opportunity to meet and play w/a great guy and get to know better one of my favorite teammates ever.

Manu on his Facebook:

Yesterday it was about the ones gone, today I'd like to welcome RJ to the Spurs family and I really hope you guys, too. Thrilled to have such a great player with us!

timtonymanu
06-25-2009, 02:43 AM

it seems like no one is sad that kurt is leaving. I guess it's because Fab and Bruce have been around longer.

timtonymanu
06-25-2009, 02:44 AM
and also it's not Kobe we're dealing with. Manu and Tony care about winning more than anything else.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2009, 05:52 AM

Manu accepted a lower paying contract to stay with the spurs instead of signing a bigger contract with another team. Also, the way you're saying it is absolutely lopsided. If you were as prolific of a scorer as parker or ginobili you're telling me that you would sign the minimum? Get out of here...

carina_gino20
06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I won't be worried. Tony and Manu have healthy egos. Winning another ring would be the most important thing for them, especially for Manu who's window will be closing soon. Anyway, what's so good about the Spurs is that they always get the new guy to buy into their program.

raspsa
06-25-2009, 09:24 PM
Athletes who reach superatar status earn several times their basic salary from endorsements and other deals. The most important thing is for them to have continued success in their respective sports so their earning power remains undiminished. Championships and individual awards translate into big $$$.

SouthTexasRancher
06-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I am very excited by the Jefferson signing. Way to go RC and Holt and Pop!!

Our team has historically ever since the days of Robinson been great at holding egos in check. But, does anyone worry that with Jefferson now the second highest paid player on the team, and no championships, that 3 time winners Manu and Tony will be secretly bugged??? They're total pros but they're also human and competitors.

I'm sure Pop and Timmy will keep everyone inline but petty jealousies have ruined many a talent-laden team.

And while I'm bringing this up, it IS worth every risk and most think Jefferson is a good guy and good teammate so it should help the cause.

And, on a side, note I look forward to seeing Bowen's uniform again this season. Either on him playing for the Spurs or hoisted up into the rafters at a retirement ceremony.

Go Spurs Go!!!

When coming to the Spurs organization 'Ego' is a thing of the past, i.e. ancient f*ing history! There is NO room for ego's when playing for the Spurs. Tim, Tony & Manu will be fine...especially at the end of next season when Jefferson and Sheed and/or Camby helps us get

Sorry, forgot to check my 'ego' at the door!

Man In Black
06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
When it get's down to it, you have to look at economies of scale. In America, Manu's contract is a relative bargain. In Argentina, when Manu signed that contract, it was reported that Manu is the highest paid Argentine in any sport league in the world.
Lionel Messi of Barcelona would be the 2nd highest paid at 5M euros which currently is 7M USD.

DAF86
06-25-2009, 09:45 PM
It was in a couple of the articles yesterday. There may have been a little more to the quote, I'll see what I can find.

Are you fucking kidding me? Did he trully say that?