PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Popovich: Jefferson As Elliott

duncan228
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Popovich: Jefferson as Elliott (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/buckharvey/2009/06/popovich-look-for-the-arizona.html)
By Buck Harvey

They played for the University of Arizona in different eras, but that didn't stop Sean Elliott from going against Richard Jefferson. When Elliott played for the Spurs, he would return to Tucson in the summer and scrimmage.

This is what Elliott said in 2001 of Jefferson: "He's a much better defender than I was in college, and a much better athlete."

All of which makes Gregg Popovich's analysis more telling. When asked the last time the Spurs had a player with Jefferson's kind of athletic ability, Popovich said Elliott.

"They are different. Jefferson is stronger at the rim than Sean was, and Jefferson runs better than Sean did," Popovich said. "He likes getting out on the break. But Sean had a really quick first step, and he could post up. We haven't had that since. Other teams post their wings on us, and now other teams will have something else to prepare for against us."

Another comparison: Just as Popovich had to retool Elliott to become a defensive stopper, he will do the same with Jefferson.

"We'll have to bring him back defensively," Popovich said, "and that will be a different kind of challenge for him."

Popovich is comfortable with all of this. He coached Jefferson in international play over two summers. And though he has seen Jefferson change -- his 3-point shooting has improved -- Popovich has a handle on who Jefferson is.

"He has a great sense of humor," Popovich said. "There's a give and take, and it's the kind of personality that fits with the way we do things. He was his own man. He didn't follow anyone else in Puerto Rico or Athens. He came and did his work, and he was pleasant about it. He was coachable."

Again, like Elliott.

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks D228

Pop sounds like a hungry man looking at a juicy steak. He can't wait for training camp to start so he can dig in.

Spursmania
06-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Sounds like Jefferson is going to fit in perfectly with the Spurs.
Now, let's go get a big...

doobs
06-24-2009, 03:25 PM
How many dunk shots will he make under Pop?

xtremesteven33
06-24-2009, 03:26 PM
The Parker/Jefferson era?

doobs
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
The Parker/Jefferson era?

:rollin

ginobilized
06-24-2009, 03:29 PM

I expect many dunks in 2-1 and 3-2 fastbreaks.....he's very fast and finishes well at the rim.

ginobilized
06-24-2009, 03:31 PM

I expect many dunks in 2-1 and 3-2 fastbreaks.....he's very fast and finishes well at the rim. He'll be able to run with TP.

EricB
06-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Sounds like pop has found his new man crush.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2009, 03:36 PM
This has probably already been discussed in one of the zillion RJ threads, but ESPN ran a graphic showing the percentage of RJ's points scored off of jump shots over the years:

Four years ago it was around 17%, and there's been a steady increasing trend until last year it was something like 30%.

The good news is that indicates that Jefferson can fit into Pop's perimeter shooting strategies. The bad news is that it could tempt Pop into miniizing the slashing aspect of RJ's game, which is something the Spurs need more of.

Dex
06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
This is perfect.

Maybe with Pop busy drooling over RJ, he will finally let go of his mancrush on Finley.

Better fish, Pop!

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Some of that is just the natural progression all players go through. When you're young you can take it to the hole every time you touch it, but as you get older you've got to save your energy and pick your spots. That means shooting more j's.

timvp
06-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Defensively, Jefferson used to be known as a fierce competitor. While that aspect of his game has regressed in recent years, the 29-year-old from the University of Arizona should have no problem refocusing on a winning, defense-first team.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story/Analysis-Addition-of-Jefferson-big-win-for-Spurs/bAmHloyVZkO_8qCQn4jCRg.cspx

"We'll have to bring him back defensively," Popovich said, "and that will be a different kind of challenge for him."
Sounds like Pop agrees.

With the Spurs, Jefferson should be able to dedicated a lot more of his energy on the defensive end. That in itself should allow him to become an above average defender once again. If Pop challenges him day in and day out, there's a chance he could become an elite defender.

rayray2k8
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Any comment from Jefferson yet?

DBMethos
06-24-2009, 03:44 PM
This is perfect.

Maybe with Pop busy drooling over RJ, he will finally let go of his mancrush on Finley.

Better fish, Pop!

True. If nothing else, this trade should at least bring an end to the Pop/Finley love affair. That alone is worth celebrating.

galvatron3000
06-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I find Sean's and Jefferson game to be very similiar on some levels.

galvatron3000
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Elliott's

baseline bum
06-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Damn, Tony, Manu, and RJ should give this team a fucking nasty fast break next season. Now the Spurs desperately need a rebounder at the 5 to put next to Tim to get those breaks started. God I hope the Spurs bring Bruce back though, so we can finally have a good combo to throw at Dirk & Howard.

MoSpur
06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Sean Elliott was my favorite Spur when he was playing. I agree that Jefferson reminds me a lot of Elliott. This is a good thing.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Jefferson does remind me a lot of Elliott. I'm excited to see what he will bring to the team.

doobs
06-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Jefferson does remind me a lot of Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_. I'm excited to see what he will bring to the team.

spursnatic
06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I can't wait to see Jefferson in a SPURS uniform next year?...I think he will be a perfect fit?...Look how he handled being traded to one of the most shitty teams in the league last year...He didn't say one negative thing..He just went out and did his job night in and night out...That is the kind of players that fit in with this franchise so well!!!..I am loving this pickup, I just hope we can get Bowen back?...

EricB
06-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds like Pop agrees.

With the Spurs, Jefferson should be able to dedicated a lot more of his energy on the defensive end. That in itself should allow him to become an above average defender once again. If Pop challenges him day in and day out, there's a chance he could become an elite defender.

With pop kicking his ass and if Bowen comes back to give him some pointers?

With that body frame he could be DAMN good.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Some of that is just the natural progression all players go through. When you're young you can take it to the hole every time you touch it, but as you get older you've got to save your energy and pick your spots. That means shooting more j's.

Also much more important for helping your body and avoiding injuries..

Jefferson is going to be a 4th option, playing with 4 great playmakers..there will be plenty of opportunities to finish..

superbigtime
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I think RJ will have a higher scoring average than Manu and maybe Tim too. Tim's minutes will be limited and he will probably average in the high teens. RJ will get more PT than Manu I bet. He's going to be more important than just a 4th 'option.'

doobs
06-24-2009, 05:36 PM
I think RJ will have a higher scoring average than Manu and maybe Tim too. Tim's minutes will be limited and he will probably average in the high teens. RJ will get more PT than Manu I bet. He's going to be more important than just a 4th 'option.'

It's impossible to tell right now because the Spurs will make more moves. No one knows what the team will look like in two weeks. But as it currently stands, I would guess:

TP - 22.5 ppg
TD - 19.8 ppg
RJ - 16.0 ppg
Manu - 15.5 ppg
Mason - 12.0 ppg

Manu's minutes will be limited. The Spurs will protect him during the season.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Ah. It's only been 1 day, but the possibilities of this acquisition keep getting better and better.

Finally! The athletic SF that we've needed since Jack left the building. :elephant

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/pod_090615.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 07:07 PM
:lol

superbigtime
06-24-2009, 08:00 PM
It's impossible to tell right now because the Spurs will make more moves. No one knows what the team will look like in two weeks. But as it currently stands, I would guess:

TP - 22.5 ppg
TD - 19.8 ppg
RJ - 16.0 ppg
Manu - 15.5 ppg
Mason - 12.0 ppg

Manu's minutes will be limited. The Spurs will protect him during the season.

Impossible but fun to speculate.
TP 23
RJ 19
TD 17.5
Manu 15.5
Mason 11 ? If we have him?

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Finally the drop off from the 3rd best player to the 4th best player won't be so great.

I think Mason will thrive on a team with the current top four, provided Pop plays him as a 2 and doesn't try to make him into a backup point.

Spurs Brazil
06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
RJ had more FTA than anyone on Spurs roster last season

RJ - 518
TD - 483

benefactor
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
The good news is that indicates that Jefferson can fit into Pop's perimeter shooting strategies. The bad news is that it could tempt Pop into miniizing the slashing aspect of RJ's game, which is something the Spurs need more of.
After watching what he did with Hill last season(sticking him in the corner and leaving him there)...this is something that went through my mind when I was thinking about all the things that RJ could do to help this team. The opposite side of that coin is that Bruce started to use the fake more and more which led to a pretty easy drive to the basket. I see RJ doing the same except with much better results.

pawe
06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
I just hope Pop wont mess him up like what he did to Mason. As the poster above said, he will thrive in the system because the Spurs love to pass on corners and he can pump fake and get to the rim like what Bowen has been recently doing.

GSH
06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
This has probably already been discussed in one of the zillion RJ threads, but ESPN ran a graphic showing the percentage of RJ's points scored off of jump shots over the years:

Four years ago it was around 17%, and there's been a steady increasing trend until last year it was something like 30%.

Do you have a link to the article, ShoogaBear? I'd like to read it. I'm not questioning you at all, but I think they missed with their numbers. Your point is well taken, though, that his role as a slasher is where he is most valuable.

The big change in his numbers really happened last season. He took more 3P attempts, as a percentage of total shots - but then again, he also hit a much higher percentage of his 3P shots. His career 3P% had been .337, and last year he shot .397 from outside the arc. (Raised his career 3P% to .353 in the process.) He shot more 3's and he hit more - both of those will skew the point distribution.

On the surface, shooting more 3's might look like a good thing when he is hitting almost 40% of his attempts. But everything he gained by hitting 3-pointers, he lost because of a lower overall shooting percentage, and because he got fewer FTA's. In fact, his career Points/FGA had been 1.377; last season it was 1.315. That's a pretty sizable change. His career FG% had been .475, and last year it dipped to .439 - also because of shooting more 3-pointers. That's also a very sizable change.

For most players, shooting 40% from the 3P line would be an improvement. For Jefferson, it decreased his overall scoring proficiency. Bottom line - he makes a high percentage of his shots when driving, and gets a lot of FTA's in the process. To use him as a perimeter shooter would be a serious waste.

One interesting side-note: Jefferson has always been good about getting to the FT line. For his career, his FTA/FGA percentage has been .489 (about 1 FTA for every two shots taken). Last season it dipped to .423, because of all the extra 3P attempts - but still a very good rate of getting to the line. Tony Parker's career FTA/FGA has been .297 (less than 1 FTA for ever 3 shots taken). Last season it actually dipped to .287, even though he took it to the rim so often. Remember that stat, once the season starts, and Jefferson's drops to below .400, even though it's never been below .420 in his career (even in his rookie year). Mark my words, he won't get the same amount of whistles in a Spurs jersey.

Texas_Ranger
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Oh man, can't wait to see him play for us... He'll have more dunks in the first game than Oberto and Thomas had the whole Spurs carrer.