PDA

View Full Version : Hawks are getting Jamal Crawford (Via Espn)

Red Hawk #21
06-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Sources: Hawks to deal two to Warriors
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Atlanta Hawks and Golden State Warriors are closing in on a trade that would find a new home for Jamal Crawford.

More NBA draft

Want the latest buzz from around the NBA draft? Our daily Draft Buzz and Rumor Central entries have it.
Buzz Insider | Rumors Insider

NBA front-office sources say that the Warriors and Hawks will soon complete a deal sending Crawford to Atlanta for Acie Law and Speedy Claxton.

Warriors coach Don Nelson made no secret of the fact that Crawford wasn't in his future plans. By shedding Crawford's longer contract and by virtue of insurance payments that will cover some of the costs of Claxton, Golden State would secure a decent measure of payroll relief with the trade.

Less clear is what impact the move will have on Atlanta's forthcoming negotiations with free agent-to-be Mike Bibby. Although Crawford is not a pure point guard, he's a prolific scorer whose arrival could affect the sort of contract offer Bibby expected to command from the Hawks.

My thoughts: Crawford is good and all but Im not sure what to think of him. Ive seen him hit clutch shots but Ive also seen him take ill advised shots, I've seen him break ankles and I've seen him make dumb turnovers while over dribbling. He's a good player and everything but there has to be a reason why Crawford has Never been on a winning team.

Banzai
06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
How do you think Jamal will play on the Hawks?

mardigan
06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Crawford freaking blows.

LeBronMVPjames
06-24-2009, 04:11 PM
How do you think Jamal will play on the Hawks?

hope he plays good

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I think Golden State got the better end of this deal. Acie Law has a great future.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Seems like there would be a lot of overlap, i.e. conflict, between Crawford and Johnson's game.

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Seems like there would be a lot of overlap, i.e. conflict, between Crawford and Johnson's game.
could be.

Red Hawk #21
06-24-2009, 04:25 PM

I don't think so, I expect Jamal to be our 6th man. He'll back up Joe at the 2 and he'll play a bit of the 1. What really pains is me that I think Acie's gunna be a beast under Don Nelson's system. :depressed

sonic21
06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
This may be the first winning team of Crawford's career

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think so, I expect Jamal to be our 6th man. He'll back up Joe at the 2 and he'll play a bit of the 1. What really pains is me that I think Acie's gunna be a beast under Don Nelson's system. :depressed

I hope it works out for you guys. I like the Hawks.

Acie needed to get out of Atlanta. I agree that Don Nelson will be good for his career.

Spurminator
06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Jamal is a good addition to Mike Woodson's "Let Everyone Take Turns Creating His Own Shot" offense.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Jamal is a good addition to Mike Woodson's "Let Everyone Take Turns Creating His Own Shot" offense.

True, but it Woodson's defense there's about 20 other coaches in the NBA who do the same thing.

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Acie's gunna be a beast under Don Nelson's system. :depressed
yes..yes he is. Acie's gonna be a very good player. Has a LOT of potential.

JamStone
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Crawford might be the clutchest bad player in the league. Then again, it depends on how you look at it. He probably shoots around 25% on clutch shots but he takes so many of them, he ends up making more than the average player. He sucks, but one thing he isn't is a shy shooter, no matter what the situation. He does have talent though. Misused, undisciplined, wild, and imprudent, but he does have some.

CGD
06-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I question the Hawks FO's timing. With Law and Clax gone, Bibby gains significant leverage in negotiations. Hawks may end up overpaying him, unless they really buy that Crawford is a pure PG. In that case it may be difficult to keep both William (RFA), or Zaza (UFA) if in fact the Hawks are pinching pennys as has been reported.

crc21209
06-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I think this is a great trade for the Hawks. Law and Speedy didnt do much there anyway, and they always lacked a little more scoring last year and now they got it in Jamal Crawford.

Chieflion
06-24-2009, 07:11 PM
One of those steals you are talking about, but wrong timing.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
I question the Hawks FO's timing. With Law and Clax gone, Bibby gains significant leverage in negotiations. Hawks may end up overpaying him, unless they really buy that Crawford is a pure PG. In that case it may be difficult to keep both William (RFA), or Zaza (UFA) if in fact the Hawks are pinching pennys as has been reported.

Looks like they had to make the deal now because until July 1st trades still get made using the 08-09 salaries to calculate the whole matching bit. On July 1st the 09-10 salaries kick in. Law+Claxton for Crawford works with the 08-09 salaries, but not the 09-10 ones. So they had to make the deal now while it was legal.

You're right though that this doesn't help their cause with Bibby.

iggypop123
06-24-2009, 08:49 PM
another dump steal. hawks have a nice bench now. from before when it was nothing

bigdog
06-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, this helps both teams. It probably helps with Bibby's re-signing in Atlanta, as well as giving the Hawks a solid 6th man in Crawford (although he could opt out early), and it also rids them of Claxton, who hasn't played in a while, but the biggest plus could be what the Warriors are getting in Acie Law. This will undoubtedly help his career, and hopefully give him a chance to play a lot more under Nelson.

Rogue
06-24-2009, 09:06 PM
The Hawks didn't get shit from this trade but two garbage expirings belonging to two craps in Law and Claxton, but Donnie Nelson was negotiating with Blazers on exchanging draft picks while the Hawks were robbing the Warriors.

iggypop123
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
The Hawks didn't get shit from this trade but two garbage expirings belonging to two craps in Law and Claxton, but Donnie Nelson was negotiating with Blazers on exchanging draft picks while the Hawks were robbing the Warriors.

he is holding stackhouse hostage cause he must have a huge deal in the works otherwise letting jefferson and crawford go by without trying would be stupid

afireinside20
06-25-2009, 07:00 AM
lol another money player going to a sorry ass team, and not really caring about winning championships.

manufan10
06-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I hope what some of you are saying about Law is true. As an Aggie fan, I hope Law will become a better player under Nelson. Hopefully, he'll get some more PT.