PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Read Disc errors

jcrod
04-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Anybody know how to fix this? All my games are not working. :( Know anybody who fixes PS2's?

I'm reading on the net about taking it apart and cleaning and adjusting some disc, just don't know though. :bang

Tres_Till_it_MHz
04-02-2005, 03:28 AM
Are they backup disks or originals?

Tres_Till_it_MHz
04-02-2005, 03:44 AM
I have a PS2 repair guide (PDF) if I can find it I will email it to you. SOunds like a faulty lense however. Ill start searching, I assume it isn't under warranty cuz you might have to crack it open.

Experiment2100
04-02-2005, 04:48 AM
You may want to call playstations help center that happened to mine when it was 2 years old and all i had to do was send it to them. You have to pay for shipping, but they'll fix it free.

Shelly
04-02-2005, 08:54 AM
nooo! We get this all the time. Go to Wal-Mart and buy Philips Laser Lens Cleaner. It's a disc that you put in. It says not to be used with gaming systems (specifically names X-box), but I've used it several times and it's always fixed the error. I think it was about $11.

King
04-02-2005, 10:37 AM
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/79/62/

Be careful, because as soon as you open it, the warranty is voided. I did this, and it worked for a bit, but there were bigger problems with mine. I ended up taking it to gamerz off of 1000 Oaks and Perrin Beitel. This thing is actually very easy to do...it's just a matter of whether or not that's what's actually wrong with your console.

Man Sauce
04-02-2005, 11:48 AM
There is a place on the southside where they fix PS2's and Xbox's its on military drive right near the corner of Pleasanton across from Peter Piper Pizza. I forgot the name of it sorry.

SequSpur
04-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Go buy a PS2 cleaner. Easy solution.

Once your PS2 starts that crap, its time for a new one.

Useruser666
04-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Go buy a new PS2 at Best Buy. Take your old one and put in the new ones box. Then take your old one back and get a refund. TA DA! You now have a brand new PS2! This works all the time. Best Buy simply sends it back to Sony and gets a refund. Sony eats it, as well they should for producing something that craps up. You don't have to wait for anyone to repair it or shipping it back and forth from Sony. You are only temporarily out the cost of a PS2 for a day or so, but otherwise it's almost free.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, that kinda works, but if they take a look inside and it's a totaly different model style, then you're kinda fucked as well.

Clandestino
04-02-2005, 02:12 PM
that is user's solution for everything! hahah..

Useruser666
04-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, that kinda works, but if they take a look inside and it's a totaly different model style, then you're kinda fucked as well.

IF your playstation is a million years old then yeah that won't work. But it works like a charm if it's even close. One thing to remember is that there is a million to one chance that the person at the return counter even knows or could tell the difference. They most likely won't even compare it to the ones in stock.

jcrod
04-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks Tres.

Exper, How long is the Warranty? I think I bought it about 3-4 yrs ago.

Shelly, sounds good, but you've had to do this several times. Apparently its not working for long, how often do you wind repeating the process?

King, how much did they charge you? Which did you do first and what ended up being the problem?

User, tempting......let me think about that one. Have to go make sure mine is not old looking.

MannyIsGod
04-02-2005, 02:20 PM
Jcrod, if yours is 3-4 years, it's going to look pretty different, I wouldn't do what Chris said. They've modified the cases quite a bit since then, and I think actually the only PS2's they are selling now are the super slim ones, but I could be wrong about that.

You're warranty is long gone as well. I would try what Shelly says, but honestly the life of your machine is pretty much up. Sony builds them very badly, and I'm suprised yours lasted as long as it did.

Shelly
04-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Shelly, sounds good, but you've had to do this several times. Apparently its not working for long, how often do you wind repeating the process?

I shouldn't have said all the time...

I've done it probably twice in the past year. I think it just gets dust in there. The disc has tiny brushes on it.

When it first happened we thought maybe the game had a scratch on it because my kids are notorious for never putting games back in the cases. I bought another because it was one of their favorite games. Still got the error. Put the cleaner and problem solved. This was last summer.

A few weeks ago, my husband was playing GT4 and as PS2 was saving his game, the game froze up. Kept rebooting and nada. Put the disc cleaner cd in and voila! Game continued as normal. Luckily, GT4 has an auto save feature because he had just won an awesome car!

Seriously, try this first and if doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks. But I bet it does.

King
04-02-2005, 06:04 PM
King, how much did they charge you? Which did you do first and what ended up being the problem?

I think it was about 25-35, I don't really remember. I did the thing from the link I sent you, and it worked fine for about another month. I finally took it in, and they replaced the reader eye. It worked well, but it was about three years old. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a new one. Honestly, if yours is a couple years old, you might want to just do that. If it's doing the disk read error, and either you fix it or have it fixed, it's just a temporary solution. It'll probably do it again within a few weeks. You could just try taking it into the place and seeing what they recommend. It won't cost anything.

I ended up going to target and getting a new one, complete with the online attachment for like 150.

Costco is selling a slimline PS2, plus controller, plus memory card, and two games (Gran Turismo and Jak) for like 219. Be careful with the slimline, though, because I know a lot of them were recalled due to overheating. I'm not sure if what Manny said is correct or not about them only selling the slimlines. I bought my new one (a regular sized one) about five months ago, after the slims were already out.

And then there's always User's suggestion, if that's your thing.

E20
04-02-2005, 10:34 PM
If you bought a newer version it should do less Disc Read Error, if you're thinking of buying a new console consider buying a modded one.

Useruser666
04-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Manny, you could put a toaster in the box at best buy and then wouldn't notice.