PDA

View Full Version : Something wishful Spurs fans forget about McDyess

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Do you really think he's changed his mind about leaving Detroit? He refused to report to Denver because he didn't want to leave Detroit. When he was then bought out, he refused to join the Spurs, Boston, and even Cleveland. That was less than a year ago. Maybe the trade of RJ would change his mind, but I highly doubt it given the fact he had the chance to join onto a contender to win a title less than a year ago.

That said I believe McDyess has less than a 5% chance on being a Spur next year. IMO

What do y'all think?

galvatron3000
06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
thats not why he refused to report, he hates Denver

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 07:42 PM
:tu

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 07:43 PM

He had offers from over 15 teams when Denver released him. All the contenders offered him the same deal he signed with Detroit. So if playing for a title was so important he wouldn't have stayed with the Pistons. He had a choice to go anywhere.

Chieflion
06-24-2009, 07:43 PM
He hates Denver, which was why. The Nuggets were also kind enough to release him. The team may look like a bunch of thugs but they are classy, I will give you that.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 07:45 PM
He hates Denver, which was why. The Nuggets were also kind enough to release him. The team may look like a bunch of thugs but they are classy, I will give you that.

I know he didn't like Denver, but he had the chance to latch on any contender. And they all wanted him. He made it apparent he did not want to leave Detroit.

McDyess hating Denver is irrelevant with what I'm trying to say.

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 07:47 PM
I know he didn't like Denver, but he had the chance to latch on any contender. And they all wanted him. He made it apparent he did not want to leave Detroit.

McDyess hating Denver is irrelevant with what I'm trying to say.
Yes..but he probably didn't want to go somewhere when the season was almost over when he already had cohesiveness in Detroit. Beginning of the season is different than the end of the season...you have the preseason and even before to get acquainted with your teammates.

EricB
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Detroit has no desire in bringing him back

They are going after Boozer and Ariza and Odom.

crc21209
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Because Detroit doesnt want him and Detroit isnt going anywhere anytime soon anyway...why would he wanna go there?

objective
06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Yes..but he probably didn't want to go somewhere when the season was almost over when he already had cohesiveness in Detroit. Beginning of the season is different than the end of the season...you have the preseason and even before to get acquainted with your teammates.

didn't that trade happen only about 4 games into the season?

Man In Black
06-24-2009, 07:53 PM
No, it's the same as Brent Barry's situation. He assessed that he wanted to go where he was comfortable with teammates and the system. He felt that the Pistons still had pieces to go deep. He is loyal. Now, since his time is limited, it's about the ring now and staying in Detroit doesn't give him the best chance.

For me, he's Top 3 for list of Bigs the Spurs should consider.

Wallace
Splitter
McDyess
Gortat
Nesterovic
Andersen

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Detroit has no desire in bringing him back

They are going after Boozer and Ariza and Odom.

They can only afford two of them. And Detroit does have McDyess' bird rights which means they could add McDyess easily if they were to sign two of those players.

Don't get me wrong I would like McDyess, I just don't think he's as a realistic possibility as other fans may believe.

I was just trying to remind fans that McDyess had the opportunity to latch onto any team in the beginning of the year last year. And he told all the teams that wanted him that he wasn't going to leave Detroit.

EricB
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
They can only afford two of them. And Detroit does have McDyess' bird rights which means they could add McDyess easily if they were to sign two of those players.

Don't get me wrong I would like McDyess, I just don't think he's as a realistic possibility as other fans may.

:lol

How is it unrealistic?

He went back only cause he thought the Pistons had a chance to do something and didnt feel like messing things up in the middle of the year.

The seasons done and theres an offseason.

The PIstons won't get to McDeyss till probobly August, so it would be perfect for the Spurs to go get him.

Man In Black
06-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Detroit does have McDyess' bird rights which means they could add McDyess easily...

That's if they wanted to and Dumars hasn't publicly indicated anything like that yet.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Unless he's going to play for free, I don't see how he is going back to Detroit - they have other plans (Odom, Ariza, Boozer, etc.)

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
:lol

How is it unrealistic?

It is somewhat realistic, but more unrealistic than realistic. I'd say 70 percent unrealistic and 30 percent realistic.

I hope I'm wrong though.

MaNu4Tres
Unless he's going to play for free, I don't see how he is going back to Detroit - they have other plans (Odom, Ariza, Boozer, etc.)

it's called bird rights

Yuixafun
I think Dice felt indebted to Detroit and Dumars for giving him a chance after suffering some severe injuries. So when he was bought out, no way was he going to any other team.
Dice returned to the Motor City full of good will and ready to give his all during the playoffs.

I doubt he anticipated that Detroit would implode the way it did, shamefully so.

If I was Dice, and I came back to that bullshit, then I would feel that my debt has been paid in full and its time to move on.

Just from a personal man stand point, I don't know the situation with his family or whatever else he has going on with the city itself, but I would not want to play for the Pistons anymore?

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I liked McDyess a lot more before he blew is knee, now he reminds me more of Kurt Thomas for which we would not want to overpay again. Detroit is a dump, have to wonder about anyone that would want to stay there.

EricB
06-24-2009, 08:00 PM
it's called bird rights

Yeah Detroit, a city in depression, is gonna go over the luxury tax :lol

Manu,

hes not going back, he wants to win now, not down the road.

EricB
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
I liked McDyess a lot more before he blew is knee, now he reminds me more of Kurt Thomas for which we would not want to overpay again. Detroit is a dump, have to wonder about anyone that would want to stay there.

uhhh he averaged close to double digit rebounds.

Has a great jump shot.

Hes way better than Kurt Thomas....

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah Detroit, a city in depression, is gonna go over the luxury tax :lol

Manu,

hes not going back, he wants to win now, not down the road.

Who says Boozer and another top free agent is going to Detroit anyway? It's not a sure thing.

That said McDyess could very well end up staying in Detroit like when he chose to less than a year ago. You know when every team in contention of a championship was begging him to join.

EricB
06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Who says Boozer and another top free agent is going to Detroit anyway? It's not a sure thing.

That said McDyess could very well end up staying in Detroit like he chose to less than a year ago when every team in contention of a championship was begging him to join.

They are the best team with the most cap space to offer Boozer and Ariza and Odom money.

Boozer to Detroit has been going around for months.

blizz
06-24-2009, 08:04 PM
i don't get the big deal about the guy. we're trying to get younger aren't we? what exactly is he good for? he's a jump shooter these days, we already have that in tim and bonner. we need someone who can score it down low if need be, defend, block shots and board the ball. spurs fans need to get over McDyess. i'd rather have gortat or birdman.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
A man keeps his word, maybe he made a promise.

coyotes_geek
06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
it's called bird rights

Detroit does not have Bird rights on McDyess. When McDyess got traded to Denver, his Bird rights went with him. When Denver waived him, those bird rights disappeared.

EricB
06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
i don't get the big deal about the guy. we're trying to get younger aren't we? what exactly is he good for? he's a jump shooter these days, we already have that in tim and bonner. we need someone who can score it down low if need be, defend, block shots and board the ball. spurs fans need to get over McDyess.

Name me the players available that can rebound and score like him.

McDeyss can get into the box as well.

McDeyss would automatically become the best big the Spurs have ever had post Robinson.

Screw getting young, its about winning NOW, there isn't a younger better 4 out there available right now than McDeyss.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 08:06 PM
They are the best team with the most cap space to offer Boozer and Ariza and Odom money.

Boozer to Detroit has been going around for months.

Everyone knows that Detroit has cap space and everyone knows that Detroit is going to go after Boozer. It's still not a sure thing. Even with adding Boozer they would still not even be close to the luxury tax.

I'm just trying to be rational about McDyess and his situation. He proved the point I'm trying to make not even a year ago. That's all I'm trying to say.

blizz
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
i just don't get why everyone is so in love with the guy...he's an 8 and 8 guy these days...actually that's not that bad and we'd be good with that...i'm just not getting all the love for the guy. he's good and all but i hope we don't just settle for him and call it an off-season. what happens when/if he breaks down?

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 08:07 PM
didn't that trade happen only about 4 games into the season?
what trade? No trade happened.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
He's a glue guy, a grit guy, he's not going to hurt you and he will give max effort.

We don't need any more stars just solid players.

Dice is that dude.

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 08:18 PM
it's called bird rights
Hello old friend.

First, you're absolutely right about McDyess' situation last year. He accepted a buyout that cost him 7-9M in guaranteed money, depending on what story you read. He had offers from half the NBA and some of them would have allowed him to recoup all or most of the lost guaranteed money. Instead, he went back to Detroit for the pro-rated vet min and expressed his loyalty to Dumars for taking a chance on him when he was down.

If he gets an MLE sized deal, he will have replaced most of what he gave up. He may well still have a preference for Detroit. The tricky part now is if Detroit will want him back.

With Detroit so far under the cap, the fact that they hold his Bird Rights doesn't matter. They can only spend up to the cap, whether to sign new FAs or resign their own. It becomes a zero-sum game. If they sign McDyess for a deal starting at 5-6M, that will come out of their available cap space. Now if he's willing to stay there for the vet min, then he won't affect their pursuit of other FAs. Otherwise, every dollar they spend on him will be one dollar less they can spend on another FA.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
McDyess fits what you want in a bigman starting alongside TD, other than the shotblocking. He can rebound and score, and more importantly, knows how to play the game and had been tested. Also, he's not a knucklehead. Like Jefferson, he'd be a very good acquisition because he fills a need and won't have a problem buying into Pop's program. An offseason with Jefferson and McDyess added will be a major success by itself, before we consider other possible additions through the draft, free agency, and the players who the Spurs currently have draft rights on. McDyess would be such a solid fing addition to a Spurs team looking to contend for a title now.

Tully365
06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
At this point, without knowing the details of what Holt has said to RC Buford, it's almost impossible to say what the Spurs will do. According to Hoopshype, the payroll for the Spurs now stands at about 68.9 mil, and that's with only 7 or 8 players locked in. So they need at the very least to work out the terms of 5 or so more players. There's no question that they'll have to pay luxury tax, but the real question is how far is Holt willing to let it go... 73 mil? 75? Without knowing that, there's really no way to argue what they will do.

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I did some more research and like McDyess a bit more now. No doubt we need a guy who can mix it up underneath, and McDyess is clearly got more in the tank then Kurt Thomas ($4 million man). Hoopshype shows him playing for $995-k for Detroit, WOW if that is correct. For LLE-type $ I would love AM on our team. 9.6 PPG and 9.8 RPG, that rocks. I agree we still need another big and Wallace/Gortat/Splitter or even Bird man, + McDyess, man that would be kickass.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Hello old friend.

First, you're absolutely right about McDyess' situation last year. He accepted a buyout that cost him 7-9M in guaranteed money, depending on what story you read. He had offers from half the NBA and some of them would have allowed him to recoup all or most of the lost guaranteed money. Instead, he went back to Detroit for the pro-rated vet min and expressed his loyalty to Dumars for taking a chance on him when he was down.

If he gets an MLE sized deal, he will have replaced most of what he gave up. He may well still have a preference for Detroit. The tricky part now is if Detroit will want him back.

With Detroit so far under the cap, the fact that they hold his Bird Rights doesn't matter. They can only spend up to the cap, whether to sign new FAs or resign their own. It becomes a zero-sum game. If they sign McDyess for a deal starting at 5-6M, that will come out of their available cap space. Now if he's willing to stay there for the vet min, then he won't affect their pursuit of other FAs. Otherwise, every dollar they spend on him will be one dollar less they can spend on another FA.

Hey sweetheart,

I have a question though. Say if Detroit added Boozer for instance and other players to fill up their cap before they signed McDyess. Then wouldn't McDyess not count against their cap and wouldn't the pistons not have to use the MLE to resign him? Meaning they could still resign him for 4-5 million even if their cap is used up.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Hello old friend.

And thank you for understanding what I was trying to remind the Spurs faithful about McDyess.

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey sweetheart,

I have a question though. Say if Detroit added Boozer for instance and other players to fill up their cap before they signed McDyess. Then wouldn't McDyess not count against their cap and they wouldn't have to use the MLE to resign him?

No, the CBA specifically prohibits that sort of maneuver. In any given season, a team may use cap space or the MLE, but never both.

This is why I never believed there was a 2010 plan. If such a plan had been executed, the Spurs would have been 10-12M under the lux tax level in 2010 and would have been at an even greater payroll disadvantage.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 08:31 PM
No, the CBA specifically prohibits that sort of maneuver. In any given season, a team may use cap space or the MLE, but never both.

This is why I never believed there was a 2010 plan. If such a plan had been executed, the Spurs would have been 10-12M under the lux tax level in 2010 and would have been at an even greater payroll disadvantage.

Gotcha thanks. But say if the cap is used up, wouldn't the Pistons be able to add Mcdyess still for 4-5 million because of his bird rights?

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Gotcha thanks. But say if the cap is used up, wouldn't the Pistons be able to add Mcdyess still for 4-5 million because of his bird rights?

Nope, when you're under the cap everything counts. Once they used their cap space, the only exception they could use on McDyess is the vet min exception.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Nope, when you're under the cap everything counts. Once they used their cap space, the only exception they could use on McDyess is the vet min exception.

Gotcha thanks bro.

objective
06-24-2009, 08:47 PM
what trade? No trade happened.

What trade?

LOL

The trade that got McDyess WAIVED. That trade. The Billups-Iverson trade.

Something for those acting like the season was almost over or half over when McDyess was bought out and a free agent.

He was officially waived November 10th and free to sign after that (and clearing waivers of course).

There were 76 games left in the season for Detroit at that point. 76 left for Denver. 77 left for San Antonio. Basically 92-94% of the season was left for every team in the league. Plenty of time to learn a system and get comfortable with new teammates and a city.

Mel_13
06-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Gotcha thanks bro.

No problem. The more I think about it, there is one way for Detroit to bring in new players that fill the space up to the salary cap and still give McDyess a fair market deal.

Detroit doesn't have cap space until they renounce Iverson and Rasheed (or until they sign with another team). They could conceivably use both players in S&Ts. If the players they received in return brought them close to the cap, then they could sign McDyess to a fair deal.

Probably not too likely, but I think it is possible.

Pistons < Spurs
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Dice is one of the classiest dudes in the league. And IMO he'd be a perfect fit for the Spurs. His focus and professionalism is off the charts.

As others mentioned, he returned to Detroit out of a sense of personal obligation to Dumars for believing in him when most of the league figured he was done. Having a level of comfort with his teammates/coaches/organization was also big on his reasons. He also thought the world of strength and conditioning coach Arnie Kander (the same guy Grant Hill wanted to pay to come to Orlando), crediting him for his return to revelance as a player. He could have gone anywhere. Plenty of teams wanted him, including legit contenders.

And despite his desire to win a ring, he's said over and over that he's not going to be one of these guys that chases a ring at the end of his career. In some ways I almost think he's come to terms with the idea that he'll end up finishing his career w/out a Championship. He's had his opportunities, and that's that.

With the Pistons expected to heavily pursue Boozer and another FA (Ben Gordon) with their $20M, there's likely no money left for Dice. So he'll either retire or find a team where he and his family will feel comfortable.

If we don't get Boozer ... and he's yet to opt out ... there's a very good chance we sign him to a one year deal, allowing him to recoup the money he lost in the Billups trade.

He's still got alot of game left in him. More than I expected. His lateral quickness isn't the best. His hands aren't great. He's more of a jump shooter than a true post player. But he doesn't quit, fights for rebounds, and understands the game.

I'd love to see him sign w/ the Spurs, win it all, and finally be recognized as the Champion he is.

Extra Stout
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
One difference between November and now:

In November, Dice might not have put two and two together and understood that the departure of Chauncey Billups was the end of Detroit's being a contender.

Now it's obvious the Pistons are in rebuilding mode.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm starting to like the idea of McDyess on the Spurs more and more. It all depends on his loyalty to Detroit and Joe Dumars.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Dice is one of the classiest dudes in the league. And IMO he'd be a perfect fit for the Spurs. His focus and professionalism is off the charts.

As others mentioned, he returned to Detroit out of a sense of personal obligation to Dumars for believing in him when most of the league figured he was done. Having a level of comfort with his teammates/coaches/organization was also big on his reasons. He also thought the world of strength and conditioning coach Arnie Kander (the same guy Grant Hill wanted to pay to come to Orlando), crediting him for his return to revelance as a player. He could have gone anywhere. Plenty of teams wanted him, including legit contenders.

And despite his desire to win a ring, he's said over and over that he's not going to be one of these guys that chases a ring at the end of his career. In some ways I almost think he's come to terms with the idea that he'll end up finishing his career w/out a Championship. He's had his opportunities, and that's that.

With the Pistons expected to heavily pursue Boozer and another FA (Ben Gordon) with their $20M, there's likely no money left for Dice. So he'll either retire or find a team where he and his family will feel comfortable.

If we don't get Boozer ... and he's yet to opt out ... there's a very good chance we sign him to a one year deal, allowing him to recoup the money he lost in the Billups trade.

He's still got alot of game left in him. More than I expected. His lateral quickness isn't the best. His hands aren't great. He's more of a jump shooter than a true post player. But he doesn't quit, fights for rebounds, and understands the game.

I'd love to see him sign w/ the Spurs, win it all, and finally be recognized as the Champion he is.

San Antonio is a great place to raise a family.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
it's called bird rights

It's called luxury tax.

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
It's called luxury tax.

It's called way to avoid my whole point of the thread.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
From another thread:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/06/26/activity_all_around_celtics_in_east/?rss_id=Boston.com+--%20+Boston+Celtics+news

An NBA source said the Celtics will keep an eye on such free agents as Detroit forward-center Rasheed Wallace, Phoenix forward Grant Hill, and Toronto swingman Anthony Parker. Denver center Chris Andersen (likely to re-sign), Detroit forward Antonio McDyess (likely to re-sign), Denver forward Linas Kleiza, Detroit forward Francisco Oberto (expected to be bought out), and Milwaukee forward Bruce Bowen (expected to be bought out) are also considerations.

So Rasheed is a big possibility!

:lobt2:

galvatron3000
06-26-2009, 06:14 PM
what I'm saying is that's not why he refuse to report to Denver, him liking Detroit maybe a factor but not reporting to Denver was reported on the news by insiders, he hates Denver thus never even reported to their team.