PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Glad To Be With ‘Relevant’ Spurs

duncan228
06-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Jefferson glad to be with ‘relevant’ Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txspursjefferson&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Paul J. Weber

When Tim Duncan found out Richard Jefferson didn’t return a phone call from Gregg Popovich after the Spurs coach traded for the Bucks star, he fired a text message to his new teammate.

“Don’t get traded twice in one day.”

Popovich, gruff? Not after this sweet of a deal for San Antonio.

The Spurs introduced Jefferson on Wednesday after getting the scoring swingman from Milwaukee the previous day in exchange for parting with three aging bench players - an easy swap for the NBA’s oldest team, which needed younger legs and offense and got both in one deal.

“I’m thrilled to get that caliber of a player now,” Popovich said.

Jefferson, 29, is just as happy to be back on a winning team. He arrived in Milwaukee last year upset that New Jersey traded him after seven seasons and two trips to the NBA finals. He then had to carry the rebuilding Bucks after injuries to Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut.

Jefferson averaged 19.6 points and learned to like Milwaukee. But in San Antonio, Jefferson is reunited with his 2004 Olympic teammate in Duncan and is back with a contending team.

“People don’t understand, you just want to be relevant again,” Jefferson said. “I didn’t understand how fortunate I was when I came into the league and went to two straight finals.”

The Spurs gave up Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto to get the 6-foot-7 forward from the Bucks, who were eager to unload the $29.2 million owed to Jefferson over the next two seasons. Milwaukee wanted financial freedom and to avoid the NBA’s luxury tax.

The Spurs, on the other hand, will be hit with the luxury tax for getting Jefferson. But it’s a price San Antonio was willing to pay with its window for a fifth championship in the Duncan era shrinking.

Duncan will be 34 and Manu Ginobili 32 by the time the playoffs roll around next spring. Neither could stay healthy last season, and Ginobili missed the playoffs entirely while the Dallas Mavericks needed just five games to roll past the Spurs in the first round.

It was the earliest playoff exit since 2000 for San Antonio. Tony Parker is 27 and grew into one of the NBA’s marquee guards last season, but he and a hobbled Duncan was all San Antonio had to throw at the Mavericks.

Jefferson is the complementary scorer the Spurs needed. Popovich said Jefferson won’t carry the offensive burden like he did in Milwaukee, and will be tasked with defending the best players on the court and getting to the foul line when needed.

“When I played with Vince (Carter), there as wasn’t much of a scoring need … When I played in Milwaukee, there was a little bit more of a leadership scoring role,” Jefferson said. “The one thing I’ve been very fortunate to have is versatility. If they need me to play defense or score or shoot a 3 or post up, I’m able to accomplish that.”

Jefferson represents the player the Spurs would have pursued during the NBA’s anticipated free agent sweepstakes next summer. Popovich said Jefferson was as good a player as the Spurs might have picked up in 2010, and that waiting could have been a gamble.

“You can’t just bank on” that, Popovich said.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Hell yes. RC, Pop, dumbass Lindsey, do whatever it takes to get a solid, rebounding, defensive big, and I will be the happist man alive.

Brazil
06-24-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm still on the wow I can't belive it mode...

peskypesky
06-24-2009, 09:11 PM

Me too!!

I cannot believe the Spurs landed Richard Jefferson the way they did. Huge trade. I take my hat off to the FO.

rAm
06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Jefferson glad to be with ‘relevant’ Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txspursjefferson&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Paul J. Weber

When Tim Duncan found out Richard Jefferson didn’t return a phone call from Gregg Popovich after the Spurs coach traded for the Bucks star, he fired a text message to his new teammate.

“Don’t get traded twice in one day.”

Anything to make of this?

Blackjack
06-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Hell yes. RC, Pop, dumbass Lindsey, do whatever it takes to get a solid, rebounding, defensive big, and I will be the happist man alive.

I'm not sure if Pop's conference call has been reported/talked about on here, but he did say that Jeff was better than anything (at his position) they could've got in free-agency this year and that they liked the options considerably more at the big position.

Even going as far as saying that they'll be looking to use their "middle-class-exception" on a 4-man.:hungry:

kbrury
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
It was just a joke, and Jefferson was really busy the last two days.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
That joke sounded better live.

This writer killed it's humor with drawn out delivery.

Popovich, gruff? Not after this sweet of a deal for San Antonio. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't accept that tacky writing from high school students.

Anyway... was delighted from what I saw this afternoon. When R.C. flashed the 24 Spurs jersey and showed the Jefferson on the back, couldn't help but say, dayum that's fresh.

RJ has a good demeanor, seems humble and willing to work hard. He understands the environment here, that it's all about championships and is welcome to the challenge.

I'd forgotten he played with Timmy and Pop on the 04 Olympic squad, and in the phone interview before RJ's appearance, Pop spoke some about what he sees for Rj as a Spur.

It was surprise to hear he is friends with TP already, and that his favorite player growing up was the Admiral (of course he might just be saying that, and if he is, that speaks to his savvy).

Feels good to be a Spur fan right about now.

Spursmania
06-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Spurs got a little younger and shed some years with this trade. I am thrilled.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Past 2 days for Rj has been hectic.

He had a birthday/bachelor party in Phoenix, his girl friend's grandma passed away and he flew to be with her, then he found out he was traded to the Spurs and came to San Antonio straight from there.

His phone had been ringing non stop naturally and Timmy contacted him.

While they were talking Timmy wondered why he hadn't returned Coach Pop's call.

Abashed Rj said he hadn't known Pop tried to contact him amidst all the hoopla.

That's when Timmy said "Don't get traded twice in one day" and advised him to do it asap.

SenorSpur
06-24-2009, 09:36 PM
The Spurs, on the other hand, will be hit with the luxury tax for getting Jefferson. But it’s a price San Antonio was willing to pay with its window for a fifth championship in the Duncan era shrinking.

Duncan will be 34 and Manu Ginobili 32 by the time the playoffs roll around next spring. Neither could stay healthy last season, and Ginobili missed the playoffs entirely while the Dallas Mavericks needed just five games to roll past the Spurs in the first round.

It was the earliest playoff exit since 2000 for San Antonio. Tony Parker is 27 and grew into one of the NBA’s marquee guards last season, but he and a hobbled Duncan was all San Antonio had to throw at the Mavericks.
As difficult as it was to watch, it sure sounds as though that first-round exit to the Mavs resulted in the mandate from ownership.

Jefferson represents the player the Spurs would have pursued during the NBA’s anticipated free agent sweepstakes next summer. Popovich said Jefferson was as good a player as the Spurs might have picked up in 2010, and that waiting could have been a gamble.
Couldn't agree more with this assessment. With the possible exception of Bosh, it's highly unlikely any of the big fish free agents even change teams. The Spurs brass did the right thing by electing to "sit out" the 2010 sweepstakes and place themselves firmly back into the championship hunt.

HarlemHeat37
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
The Jefferson-Duncan exchange was clearly a joke, it's a lot more clear if you watch it..this writer makes it sound like it's a concern or something..

SPURSGOAT
06-24-2009, 10:23 PM

Same here! It won't fully sink in til I see him playing in a Spurs uni next season. :flag:

bigdog
06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Same here! It won't fully sink in til I see him playing in a Spurs uni next season. :flag:

I'm playing with Jefferson on the Spurs on NBA 2K9 right now. It's unbelievable.

To fill out the active roster, I have Mahinmi as the starting Center, with Rasho, Gooden, and Bonner off the bench.

Surprisingly, this is a pretty good frontcourt on this game.

angelbelow
06-24-2009, 11:08 PM
whooooo!!!!!!!

milkyway21
06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
and two trips to the NBA finalsthat's why I'm excited over this signing his finals experience is definitely a plus

howbouthemspurs
06-24-2009, 11:17 PM
oh my god!. I am vacationing in Spain right now and I just got the news! ... this is so awesome!

TimDunkem
06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm playing with Jefferson on the Spurs on NBA 2K9 right now. It's unbelievable.

To fill out the active roster, I have Mahinmi as the starting Center, with Rasho, Gooden, and Bonner off the bench.

Surprisingly, this is a pretty good frontcourt on this game.

I gave Mahinmi a modest 73 as an overall rating. He beasts the boards. :lol

bigdog
06-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I gave Mahinmi a modest 73 as an overall rating. He beasts the boards. :lol

:lol I kept it as is, and he's still not that bad.

Also, I just used a lineup of Parker/Ginobili/Jefferson/Gooden/Duncan, and WOW that is one explosive lineup on offense.

TimDunkem
06-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Well to be fair, I've seen Bonner catch and
finish contested alley-oop dunks in traffic on 2k. So, not everything translate that well from real life. :lol

bigdog
06-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Well to be fair, I've seen Bonner catch and
finish contested alley-oop dunks in traffic on 2k. So, not everything translate that well from real life. :lol

Oh wow. I've never seen that :lol

TimDunkem
06-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Oh wow. I've never seen that :lol

Unfortunately I was on the recieving end of it. That hurt. :depressed

whottt
06-24-2009, 11:40 PM
“People don’t understand, you just want to be relevant again,” Jefferson said.

And that right there is your explanation for any defensive or intensity fall off in Jefferson's game after leaving the Nets.

He was in Milwaukee, and he knew it.

Spurm
06-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Poor bastards...you ain't going anywhere next season...