PDA

View Full Version : Now we need two decent bigs

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
With only Duncan + Ian + Bonner, this is beyond obvious that we are thin.

Who can we get with the MLE, LLE, veteran's minimum, or a draft pick?

I think it is quite likely we can get someone like Wallace/Gortat/McDyess/Bird Man for MLE money.

So then who else can we get for the LLE, veteran's min, or in the draft that would be a good addition to the roster?

Spursfan092120
06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
With only Duncan + Ian + Bonner, this is beyond obvious that we are thin.

Who can we get with the MLE, LLE, veteran's minimum, or a draft pick?

I think it is quite likely we can get someone like Wallace/Gortat/McDyess/Bird Man for MLE money.

So then who else can we get for the LLE, veteran's min, or in the draft that would be a good addition to the roster?
Wallace, Gortat, and McDyess are all possibilities. Bird Man isn't leaving Denver, unfortunately.

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Like I said, MLE $ for a quality big seems likely. Who then is that other big at a reasonable price, LLE or less?

ploto
06-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Any big man they add for MLE will probably cost double with the tax level expected to remain about the same.

DPG21920
06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Any big man they add for MLE will probably cost double with the tax level expected to remain about the same.

Yes we know this already. Who are the Pacers planning to sign?

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
My understanding is the Spurs plan to fork out the cash to win a title. So let's not limit ourselves by the lux tax concerns, that's not our problem to deal with and we can dream as long as its not out of the realm of reason. Spending the MLE and LLE are not out of the question, it seems. Heck, someone may still even be dumb enough to eat the Bonner contract, although not likely.

ploto
06-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Who are the Pacers planning to sign?

I don't care. I am waiting to have Kori change my team once I know for sure.:wow

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I wonder what we could get for Splitter rights + Bonner? Almost would be worth it to unload the Bonner contract. Splitter + Bonner = sign and trade for Gortat? Then we still may be able to add a second decent big for part or all of the MLE. Orlando gets something for Gortat. Bottom line is FO has shown the are going balls out to win it all in '09, so we need to be thinking that way too in filling out this roster with two quality bigs.

bigdog
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
I wonder what we could get for Splitter rights + Bonner? Almost would be worth it to unload the Bonner contract. Splitter + Bonner = sign and trade for Gortat? Then we still may be able to add a second decent big for part or all of the MLE. Orlando gets something for Gortat. Bottom line is FO has shown the are going balls out to win it all in '09, so we need to be thinking that way too in filling out this roster with two quality bigs.

Could be possible, since we still don't know if Splitter would even come over next season, but are the Spurs ready to give up on Splitter?

I'd be willing to trade his rights if we got a big like Gortat.

Knoxxx
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Gortat would be a bird in hand, Pop already said gambling for possible 2010 signings is not the plan. I think either we find a way to sign Splitter now, or deal his rights. We are in dire need of quality bigs, or the RJ deal could be all for naught.

meestahmeestah
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
My understanding is the Spurs plan to fork out the cash to win a title.

I think management believes that a further push into the playoffs will reap dividends that will cover whatever luxury tax they might pay in the form of renewed interest (especially if a title is forthcoming) because a down economy + complacent fans who have gotten used to LOB trophies every other year (not anyone on this board, of course, but the walkup crowd who decides the day of the game they want to go see it live) means they see the RJ trade and any MLE/LLE action as an investment.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2009, 10:40 PM
People seem to forget that Leon Powe and Glenn Davis are both free agents. Both of whom are more athletic and younger.

And both are restricted.

Libri
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Leon Powe is injured. He tore his ACL.

Yuixafun
06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I think management believes that a further push into the playoffs will reap dividends that will cover whatever luxury tax they might pay in the form of renewed interest (especially if a title is forthcoming) because a down economy + complacent fans who have gotten used to LOB trophies every other year (not anyone on this board, of course, but the walkup crowd who decides the day of the game they want to go see it live) means they see the RJ trade and any MLE/LLE action as an investment.

I think that line of reasoning is valid, especially since San Antonio hasn't felt the impact of the recession significantly. We're actually growing. Just look around the city and you'll see construction everywhere. And people are moving, returning to San Antonio after being laid off and jobs shrinking in other areas of the country. Having several military bases around helps too.

Chances are they have calculated this and come to the conclusion that by be even advancing to the 2nd round this year they make more than their money back. More fans, new fans, excited and ready to spend.

As opposed to doing little and fielding a weak team, which would diminish revenue further due to lack of interest.

The ownership willing to go over the luxury tax, might not be entirely from the generosity of their hearts. I can see the local media spinning that angle all day though.

I'm happy for it. But it's a business as everyone has been saying.

GSH
06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Leon Powe is injured. He tore his ACL.

Powe has a torn ACL and a torn meniscus, and he had surgery in May. (One report mentioned a microfracture as well.) The Celtics were talking about an 8 month recovery period, and acting like they aren't sure they will offer him a contract because of the risk due to the injury. Personally, I think they are trying to minimize interest in their restricted FA. The "grapevine" reports are that the injury wasn't as bad as they have suggested.

Powe is one of those energy guys who can come off the bench and make the kinds of plays that change the momentum of a game. And he's shown that he will absolutely work his ass off. I would invest in him in a heartbeat, if the Celtics are stupid enough to let him get away.

Libri
06-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Powe has a torn ACL and a torn meniscus, and he had surgery in May. (One report mentioned a microfracture as well.) The Celtics were talking about an 8 month recovery period, and acting like they aren't sure they will offer him a contract because of the risk due to the injury. Personally, I think they are trying to minimize interest in their restricted FA. The "grapevine" reports are that the injury wasn't as bad as they have suggested.

Powe is one of those energy guys who can come off the bench and make the kinds of plays that change the momentum of a game. And he's shown that he will absolutely work his ass off. I would invest in him in a heartbeat, if the Celtics are stupid enough to let him get away.

Also, he has class, which is always a plus.

spurspokesman
06-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Gortat would be a bird in hand, Pop already said gambling for possible 2010 signings is not the plan. I think either we find a way to sign Splitter now, or deal his rights. We are in dire need of quality bigs, or the RJ deal could be all for naught.
Exactly. I really don't care about splitter. He is as good as bonner is to the spurs. I'm tired of hearing his name. Him and all the other cross pond would be studs. Give his ass away get a good big and let's go get this fifth ring.

spursbird
06-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Here are some of the FAs who I think fit the Spurs well.
Leon Powe, Brandon Bass, Chris Wilcox, pops Mensah-Bonsu, Drew Gooden, Aaron Gray, Chris Andersen, Joe Smith, Rasheed Wallace, Jason Maxiell, Shavlik Randolph, Rasho Nesterovic, Robert Swift, Zaza Pachulia, Solomon Jones, Jermareo Davidson, Brian Skinner, Jamaal Magloire, Joel Anthony, DJ Mbenga, Josh Powell, Adonal Foyle, Marcin Gortat

chasky
06-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Here are some of the FAs who I think fit the Spurs well.
Leon Powe, Brandon Bass, Chris Wilcox, pops Mensah-Bonsu, Drew Gooden, Aaron Gray, Chris Andersen, Joe Smith, Rasheed Wallace, Jason Maxiell, Shavlik Randolph, Rasho Nesterovic, Robert Swift, Zaza Pachulia, Solomon Jones, Jermareo Davidson, Brian Skinner, Jamaal Magloire, Joel Anthony, DJ Mbenga, Josh Powell, Adonal Foyle, Marcin Gortat

from that list Drew Gooden, Rasheed Wallace, Brandon Bass, Chris Andersen or Jason Maxiell would be great, but being realistic MJ Mbenga or Zaza PAchulia are more on our scope.

velik_m
06-25-2009, 02:01 AM
I don't care. I am waiting to have Kori change my team once I know for sure.:wow

I don't think Real Madrid is one of the options for the favourite team.

raspsa
06-25-2009, 02:38 AM
How much would Rasho be willing to take to rejoin the Spurs? A big who knows the system must appeal to Pop.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 02:54 AM
from that list Drew Gooden, Rasheed Wallace, Brandon Bass, Chris Andersen or Jason Maxiell would be great, but being realistic MJ Mbenga or Zaza PAchulia are more on our scope.

I never thought of Mbenga. He could be a decent backup. He's long, and has showed signs of being at least a decent backup in his career.

Still wouldn't be at the top of my list, though.