PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Jefferson Answers The Call For Spurs' Latest Evolution

duncan228
06-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Jefferson answers the call for Spurs' latest evolution (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Jefferson_answers_the_call_for_Spurs_latest_evolut ion.html)
Jeff McDonald

Richard Jefferson had been a Spur only for a few hours, but he was already in Gregg Popovich's doghouse.

Jefferson took a flurry of cell-phone calls in the moments after he learned he had been traded from Milwaukee to San Antonio on Tuesday. He just so happened to miss the most important one.

The one from his new head coach.

It was a text message from Tim Duncan that ultimately alerted Jefferson to his faux pas. Then, the Spurs captain offered his newest teammate a friendly warning.

“He said, ‘Don't get traded twice in one day,'” Jefferson said.

Eventually, Jefferson got a hold of Popovich, who is out of town, and the two enjoyed a brief conversation. By Wednesday morning, Jefferson was on his way to San Antonio, ready to get acquainted with his new basketball home.

Heralding it as “an exciting day in our franchise's evolution,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford introduced Jefferson at an evening press conference at the team's practice site.

Decked in a new gray Spurs polo shirt, and grinning next to his new silver-and-black jersey emblazoned with No. 24, the 29-year-old Jefferson trumpeted it as an exciting day in the evolution of his career.

“I look forward to playing on this type of team, where getting to conference championships and winning titles is expected,” said Jefferson, an eight-year pro who was on the 2003 New Jersey team the Spurs beat to claim their second NBA title. “You just want to be relevant again.”

The Spurs are hopeful Jefferson can produce the same effect for them. Acquired in a three-team trade that cost the Spurs Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas, Jefferson should help give the Spurs the offensive firepower they lacked at the end of last season, which ended with a first-round playoff loss to Dallas.

Jefferson, a 6-foot-7 forward, is a career 17.7 points-per-game scorer. He can play a little defense, too. Part of his job description in San Antonio will be to guard the other team's best perimeter scorer on a nightly basis.

Popovich coached Jefferson as an assistant on the 2004 U.S. Olympic team in Athens, where both men fostered a healthy appreciation of one another. Duncan, Jefferson's future text-messaging buddy, also played on that team.

“He's got a toughness to him,” Popovich said of Jefferson. “He's a competitor. He gives us that added quality, which is important when trying to get a championship.”

By trading for Jefferson, and the remaining $29.2 million of a contract that runs through 2010-11, the Spurs have pre-emptively removed themselves from the bidding for top-flight free agents next summer. In a sense, the Spurs decided to take the bird in the hand now — Jefferson — instead of waiting to see what comes out of the free-agent bush next year.

“When you've got an opportunity to win a championship, you've got to go after it,” Popovich said. “You can't just bank on someone leaving their team and coming to us. I think a lot of that is pie in the sky, if you're going to put all your thought into just getting that one max player.”

The deal will leave the Spurs with just three big men under contract on July 1 — Duncan, Matt Bonner and Ian Mahinmi. The front office believes the hole in the frontcourt can be more readily addressed via free agency.

“If you look at the free-agent list, there's nobody this summer who is going to be in the same ballpark as Richard Jefferson,” Popovich said. “This is kind of like a bonus, to do it with a trade, and we still have our (mid-level exception) to go after a four-man. There are more names we like at four than there are at the three, as far as free agents go.”

Jefferson is just happy the Spurs liked him enough to make him the centerpiece of their offseason.

Just last week he was in Milwaukee, working out and preparing for his second season with the Bucks. Now, he is taking a deep breath before embarking on his first season with the Spurs.

“This really hasn't set in for me,” Jefferson said. “My phone hasn't stopped ringing. I just need to get home for a little bit, relax and let it all settle in.”

velik_m
06-25-2009, 01:14 AM
This is kind of like a bonus, to do it with a trade, and we still have our (mid-level exception) to go after a four-man.

:wow Fuck the luxury tax - the spurs are going all in!

honestfool84
06-25-2009, 01:20 AM
This is kind of like a bonus, to do it with a trade, and we still have our (mid-level exception) to go after a four-man.

dude.
this rocks.

rasheed wallace.
tim duncan.
richard jefferson.
manu ginobili.
tony parker

mason
ian mahinmi
bowen? (hopefully)
oberto
harrison gist..

wow. the possibilities.

honestfool84
06-25-2009, 01:20 AM
dude.
this rocks.

rasheed wallace.
tim duncan.
richard jefferson.
manu ginobili.
tony parker

mason
ian mahinmi
bowen? (hopefully)
oberto
harrison gist..

wow. the possibilities.

PS - im just dreaming...

06-25-2009, 03:26 AM
the spurs might as well use the full MLE and go all in right now. they are practically pot committed by investing in jefferson. it's kind of sad when 29 is considered "young" but i see jefferson having a good 2-3 years left before his reliance on athleticism contributes to his drop off. this window coincides with the windows of duncan and ginobili. all or nothing now, no future franchise player in 2010, just a good 3-4 years left before duncan retires and everything goes down the drain.

VivaPopovich
06-25-2009, 03:37 AM
as long as pop is running things, i wouldnt ever count on the spurs "going down the drain."

06-25-2009, 03:44 AM
duncan and popovich will retire together.

afireinside20
06-25-2009, 06:49 AM
This is all so fucking exciting, i can't wait for the new season!!!!

PBEEZY
06-25-2009, 08:02 AM
Is there a video of this???????

nkdlunch
06-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I knew it. Spurs going ALL IN for this year and next. They know its the only way to get a real chance at another championship.

Agloco
06-25-2009, 12:35 PM
dude.
this rocks.

rasheed wallace.
tim duncan.
richard jefferson.
manu ginobili.
tony parker

mason
ian mahinmi
bowen? (hopefully)
oberto
harrison gist..

wow. the possibilities.

You left out Hill also......

It's not so much a pipe dream actually. The only thing that's missing from your list now is Sheed (Bowen and Oberto will most likely be back IF the Spurs want them). Id say it depends on whether or not another ring or more money is more important to him.

And yes, it would appear that the Spurs are going "balls to the wall" during Duncan's twilight years. It should be a wonderful thing to watch.

phyzik
06-25-2009, 01:02 PM
I cant wait to see the amount of straight up murder the Spurs are going to commit on the rest of the NBA.

http://pinkbunnyears.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/whoop-ass.jpg

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm interesting in seeing what Javtokas can do in the NBA. There's a chance he could turn out to be a very good fit. If Splitter is stuck in Spain for another season, this would be the opportunity for the Spurs to see what Javtokas can do.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm interesting in seeing what Javtokas can do in the NBA. There's a chance he could turn out to be a very good fit. If Splitter is stuck in Spain for another season, this would be the opportunity for the Spurs to see what Javtokas can do.

This would be the perfect time to bring him over, but we don't know if him and the Spurs even talk anymore after the fallout they had a couple of years back. I'd still like to see what he can do, though.