PDA

View Full Version : Pop is the MAN-and statements like this make it clear

holcs50
06-25-2009, 01:24 AM
“When you've got an opportunity to win a championship, you've got to go after it,” Popovich said. “You can't just bank on someone leaving their team and coming to us. I think a lot of that is pie in the sky, if you're going to put all your thought into just getting that one max player.”

Finally we hear what we've all wanted to hear after these years, that pop realizes no more banking on 3 guys. The time is now, we gotta strike the next to years while the kettles hot. I really think after hearing the jefferson stuff and interviews from the FO that we will offer a big a good contract-IDK how much of the MLE but at least 2 years worth for say sheed or mcdyess if they can't pull anything else off. I mean really the sheed thing has become ridic BUT can you just close your eyes and have him and td runnin side by side on D. Sheed would be much better than last year because there would be a huge amount of help around him-I think even tho he did shitty last year w/ this spurs team I think he's just what we need. Boards, a big body, he'll bang, a little fire, and pop won't let him always hang on the 3 point line like he did in detroit-pop will make him post, bang down low.

montgod
06-25-2009, 01:34 AM
“When you've got an opportunity to win a championship, you've got to go after it,” Popovich said. “You can't just bank on someone leaving their team and coming to us. I think a lot of that is pie in the sky, if you're going to put all your thought into just getting that one max player.”

Finally we hear what we've all wanted to hear after these years, that pop realizes no more banking on 3 guys. The time is now, we gotta strike the next to years while the kettles hot. I really think after hearing the jefferson stuff and interviews from the FO that we will offer a big a good contract-IDK how much of the MLE but at least 2 years worth for say sheed or mcdyess if they can't pull anything else off. I mean really the sheed thing has become ridic BUT can you just close your eyes and have him and td runnin side by side on D. Sheed would be much better than last year because there would be a huge amount of help around him-I think even tho he did shitty last year w/ this spurs team I think he's just what we need. Boards, a big body, he'll bang, a little fire, and pop won't let him always hang on the 3 point line like he did in detroit-pop will make him post, bang down low.

Actually, Pop was referring to the whole free agency "dog and pony show" when players become free agents. You can't base the success of your team on the premise that a player will sign with your team when they are free agents. And unfortunately, a lot of teams are doing that. They sacrifice possible success now in letting players go in order to be able to sign someone in the infamous 2010 bonanza.

I am sure Pop knows this better than anyone else to an extent when the Spurs were trying to get Kidd, Webber, O’Neal, and Maggette. Of course, the team's success wasn't jeopardized (might have been if we had lost Tony in the case of Jason Kidd), but he realized then that it's a crap shoot to depend on that scenario being the main way to gain success.

holcs50
06-25-2009, 01:58 AM
um idk what you thought i was talking about but the whole point was pop realizes (like he said) they have a chance to win the championship (TD era), and he knows after last year you gotta go for it. But i know about the 2010 fa spree and all that, so don't need to hear it again, thank you. Its just funny you bold pop banking on the 3, he knows that. I wasn't talking and pop wasn't talking about anything else, he knows with this team they need more help-end of story. Have 3 great players, a few getting older, you go for a chip no matter what-you add jeff and then u add a good/legit big. done.

VivaPopovich
06-25-2009, 03:08 AM
viva popovich!

and he's absolutely right. you cant be thinking about 2010 when you need to make a drive to win the championship NOW.

furthermore, jefferson is right up there on the talent-level of the 2010 free agents anyways. and considering the history richard's had with pop and his personality meshing in with the group, you couldnt ask for a better deal, whether it be then or now.

Bukefal
06-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Go pop!!!

mystargtr34
06-25-2009, 06:38 AM
um idk what you thought i was talking about but the whole point was pop realizes (like he said) they have a chance to win the championship (TD era), and he knows after last year you gotta go for it. But i know about the 2010 fa spree and all that, so don't need to hear it again, thank you. Its just funny you bold pop banking on the 3, he knows that. I wasn't talking and pop wasn't talking about anything else, he knows with this team they need more help-end of story. Have 3 great players, a few getting older, you go for a chip no matter what-you add jeff and then u add a good/legit big. done.

Well, it did kind of sound like you thought Pop was talking about the big 3, or Timmy, when he said you cant rely on the one max player. I think the other guy was just trying to make sure you knew Pop was talking about the 2010 FA crop, and signing a Chris Bosh/LeBron/Wade type.

I think you knew what Pop ment, but nothin wrong with makin it clearer.

montgod
06-25-2009, 06:40 AM
Well, it did kind of sound like you thought Pop was talking about the big 3, or Timmy, when he said you cant rely on the one max player. I think the other guy was just trying to make sure you knew Pop was talking about the 2010 FA crop, and signing a Chris Bosh/LeBron/Wade type.

I think you knew what Pop ment, but nothin wrong with makin it clearer.

Exactamundo!

ploto
06-25-2009, 07:03 AM
Isn't this the same team that did everything- like not keep Speedy and trade draft picks instead of getting Howard- to clear cap space for Jason Kidd? Maybe they learned.

bigfan
06-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Most (if not all) of the big names in 2010 will resign with their own teams. We just made our move one year early and got our guy.