ducks
04-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Dallas 100, Philadelphia 83
Preview - Box Score - Recap

April 1, 2005

Photo
AP - Apr 1, 9:58 pm EST
More Photos
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Dallas Mavericks wrapped up a playoff spot, while the Philadelphia 76ers missed a chance to open up some breathing room.

Dirk Nowitzki scored 29 points, going 14-for-14 from the foul line, and former Philadelphia player Keith Van Horn added 15 points to help the Mavericks clinch a playoff spot with a 100-83 victory over the 76ers on Friday night.

``I haven't been around a playoff team, so I'm getting to learn what it's all about,'' said Jason Terry, who will make his first career playoff appearance after spending his first five seasons with the Atlanta Hawks. ``It's huge for my career. I want to get out on a pedestal and show the world what I can do.''

The Mavericks, fourth in the Western Conference, won their fourth straight game to improve to 7-1 since Avery Johnson replaced Don Nelson as head coach on March 19.

``Our defense was really good,'' Johnson said. ``We were physical and did a good job clogging up the lane.''

The 76ers, who have lost three straight, have a half-game lead over New Jersey for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot. New Jersey beat New York on Friday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
``We had an opportunity to pretty much secure our position, and we didn't take advantage of that,'' Aaron McKie said. ``So it's going to come down to the last week.''

Allen Iverson scored 22 points for the 76ers before sitting out the fourth quarter because of a strained groin. Marc Jackson also had 22 points for Philadelphia.

``We have to start making a couple of shots,'' 76ers coach Jim O'Brien said. ``We keep an offensive chart -- red is a bad look, black is a make, and green is a good look that is missed. There was a lot of green on there tonight.''

The Sixers were just 2-for-20 from 3-point range, and their starting frontcourt was only 3-for-21 from the field.

``They made shots. We didn't,'' McKie said. ``Our effort was there. We were out there trying -- it just didn't go our way.''

The 76ers played without Chris Webber for the second time since acquiring him from Sacramento in February. Webber is expected to miss at least two more games after spraining his left shoulder against Phoenix on Wednesday night.

Notes

Iverson will be re-evaluated Saturday. Iverson also missed the last 5:23 of the first half because of the groin injury. ... Dallas improved its road record to 25-11, third best in the NBA. ... Mavericks center Eric Dampier returned after missing three games with a hip flexor. He finished with 10 rebounds and five points.

boutons
04-02-2005, 02:07 PM
"We were physical and did a good job clogging up the lane"

... and that will beat the Spurs every time.

Mavs think they can do it,
Heat already did it successfully,
and Nuggets did a good enough job of it also, while raping the Spurs paint defense.

I don't know to think about the Pistons and Grizz defenses anymore.

Rummpd
04-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Mavs can dream on.

Hook Dem
04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
What happened yesterday in Cleveland?!!!!! They must have that on-off switch also. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
04-04-2005, 04:41 PM
there was no excuse for that game yesterday.

Noone will ever convince me the cleveland cavaliers are a good team, eastern conference or no, they are a bad team, regardless of how many freaking games that bastard stern insists on showing on national tv, i dont care if next season they televise all freaking 82 cavalier games, they still suck, and mavericks shoulda won that game

Dirk needs to take more shots

whottt
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM
I'd like our chances against the Mavs a lot better if AJ was playing point for them :fro

And when AJ talks about "clogging" the lanes he knows of what he speaks...he was responsible for Spurs opponents clogging the lanes for most of Drob's career.