PDA

View Full Version : Finley-what is his qualifying offer

Kamnik
06-25-2009, 03:55 AM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

I never understood how this works. Could someone explain please? :toast

Bruno
06-25-2009, 03:59 AM
It isn't a qualifying offer. QO are for "young" players. When a team pick a QO, the player becomes a restricted free agent instead of an unrestricted free agent. It is made to avoid that teams lose the "young" layers they have developed.

Finley has a player option for next year. He must pick it or not before July 1st. If he picks it, he will be under contract with Spurs for 09-10 with a $2.5M. If he doesn't pick it, he will become an unrestricted free agent.

iilluzioN
06-25-2009, 04:06 AM
soooooo fin doggy is going to be with us? I wouldnt mind him coming off the bench behind RJ

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 04:16 AM
The question is, can the Spurs find anyone better than Finley for less than 2.5m to fill out the roster.

iilluzioN
06-25-2009, 04:21 AM
The question is, can the Spurs find anyone better than Finley for less than 2.5m to fill out the roster.

shit, hes been there done that, he will give you great 10-15 min, hustles and knows the system. high B-Ball IQ.

crc21209
06-25-2009, 04:29 AM
If getting RJ means that Pop's man-crush with Finley is over, then I wouldnt mind having him back for 15-20 mins a game at the most. We all know Finley can hit some damn clutch shots (Game 1 of Phx series of 08' to force OT, Game against New Orleans this past yr. at home to force OT and assure the Spurs homecourt advantage).

At the small-forward position I wouldnt mind having:

1. RJ
2. Bowen
3. Finley

Our guard rotation consisting of TP, Manu, Mason, and Hill.

Our big man rotation consisting of TD, Bonner, Mahinmi, Sheed/Dice/Gortat/Gooden or other FA big man, and/or draft pick.

Not bad, not bad at all. :tu

Kamnik
06-25-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks Bruno.

What is that 80% scale offer btw? I never saw that one...

VivaPopovich
06-25-2009, 06:18 AM
re-signing finley is fine as long as he's coming off the bench, similar to the type of role barry/horry had in their later years

bigfan
06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Finley off the bench is just fine with me.

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2009, 09:51 AM

Yes. Bruce Bowen

Libri
06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

I never understood how this works. Could someone explain please? :toast

HoopsHype has it wrong. They have it highlighted as qualifying offer but it should be player option.

rogcl1
06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
soooooo fin doggy is going to be with us? I wouldnt mind him coming off the bench behind RJ

No, spot play based on matchups or situational offensive play only. Finley as the designated backup at the 3 is a disaster. Anytime he has to defend someone with any offensive or rebounding ability, it is a total disaster.
End of quarters, matchups where he could be guarding a dead man ect. nothing more. Under no circumstance full time backup role at the 3.

rogcl1
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
shit, hes been there done that, he will give you great 10-15 min, hustles and knows the system. high B-Ball IQ.

I question the basketball IQ . Look back at how many times in free throw situations he did not block out his man or the shooter on the block. Or how many times instead of stepping in the lane to help on defense he steps aside to get out of the way. Or the matador defense he plays which you could loosely interptret as funneling. No I do not see the high IQ.
I like him but his defense is beyond atrocious and he could be helpful in certain situations only, not in a full time backup role. Just my opinion.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I think the RJ trade clearly spells out that Finley starting and/or logging heavy minutes is over with.

So if Finley does return I expect him to play no more than 10-15 minutes off the bench. I don't worry about the defense so much because he won't be guarding the other teams best player anymore (thank god).