PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities on these FA PF/C's actually coming to San Antonio

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Here are just some opinions on the chances of these potential candidates coming to San Antonio:

1. Rasheed Wallace - IMO will be a realistic possibility. Being in championship contention once again would only bring out the best of what Rasheed has left in his game. Is long enough to be an important factor on defense, especially against the Lakers frontline and the Rockets Yao Ming. Still at 34 has one of the best offensive skill set's out of any big man in free agency. Sheed has said before he would love to play for San Antonio. That being said I think Sheed doning a Spur jersey has more of a chance to happening than his good friend Antonio McDyess. I give this a 45 % chance of this happening. Whether it's us or Cleveland or the other 10 percent he signs elsewhere.

2. Charlie Villanueva- The most versatile big men out of all the free agents. Can play the 5-3 spot for the Spurs. Can shoot it from the outside with consistency and has a talented overall offensive skill set. Not a great rebounder or shot blocker, but has the length to disrupt easy shots around the rim. Length would help out against the Lakers/ Rockets on the defensive end. With the Jefferson trade, I thought Bucks really want him back and since he is restricted I thought our chances in landing him were less than 5%. Now that they traded for Amir Johnson I move that 5 % up to 8%. Still highly unlikely since he's restricted.

3. Hakim Warrick- At first I overlooked this guy, I think he would be a solid contributor and instantly be in our rotation. He's a quick mobile "4" who would give the Spurs faithful their wish by injecting the dunking aspect to the Spurs overall game. Played four years for defensive guru Jim Boeheim. Not a good rebounder and he may be a bit on the " skinny" side to go up against the Lakers frontline, but he's better than what we have. I'd say we have a realistic chance at this guy. 20 % chance of this happening.

4. Antonio McDyess- Great rebounder. Has a consistent mid-range to pick and pop with Tony/ Manu/ RJ on the offensive side of the ball. Has nothing to prove, therefore shots won't matter to him on the offensive side of the ball. Great one on one post defender/ moves his feet really well for his age. Would be a great teammate and role player to add to the Spurs. I just don't know if his mindset has changed about staying in Detroit. He gave up 7-9 million last year with the buy out agreement to stay in Detroit, even though many championship contenders wanted him badly and were willing to offer more money than Detroit. Therefore I don't see McDyess wanting to come here as much as the other options. But hopefully I'm wrong and he will consider joining a championship team like the Spurs now that Detroit is in somewhat of a transition stage, as they wait for free agency and Boozer.20 % chance of this happening.

5. Zaza Pachulia- With Atlanta's trade for Jamal Crawford, Hawks may be leaning towards letting Bibby go. This would free up money to resign Zaza. ( Even though Joe Johnson may be asking for a trade mid-way through the season with Crawford running point). Zaza is a gritty and tough player that competes on both sides of the floor. An average rebounder and below average defender from the weakside/ above average one on one defender on the block. That said I see Zaza as a realistic option if we pony up mostly all of our MLE. Have a feeling though Hawks would offer the same amount. And I don't know his loyalty with the Hawks. 15% chance of this happening.

6. Marcin Gortat- word through the grapevine is the Magic are willing to go into the luxury tax to keep Hedo and Gortat in Orlando. But how much of the luxury tax are they willing to go? If Spurs were to throw out the MLE, I think Orlando would pass on the idea on trying to match that offer. That being said I think using the whole MLE on Gortat would be a mistake. I hope that isn't the case. 10 % chance of this happening.

7. Anderson Varejao - The Bruce Bowen of big men, would be our defensive ace at the 5/4 spot. Love the intangibles he brings to the table. Contests shots, high basketball IQ, solid rebounder. Lacks the offensive skill set of most big men in the FA crop, even though he can finish well around the basket. Would love to offer the MLE for him. Have a feeling though Dan Gilbert's wallet won't allow Varejao leave for the MLE ( meaning they would counter that offer by a million or two to keep him). Less than 5% chance on him being a Spur.

8. Drew Gooden- Helped our handicapped offense for the last 1-2 months of the year. A solid rebounder to say the least. More of a fouler on the defensive side of the ball, due to his methodical positioning in his defensive rotations. Great energy player. Very skilled offensive big man that needs work on his errant shot selection. Has a consistent mid-range to pick and pop. That all being said, the Spurs need a big man on the defensive side of the ball more so than on the offensive. If Spurs lose out on their first targets, Gooden could very well likely still be Spur. I say theres a 25 % chance he returns to San Antonio.

9. Chris Wilcox - Was a cancer of a teammate in OKC, which lead to his departure for Malik Rose at the trade deadline to NY. Athletic big man, who has skills offensively, but like Gooden his defensive rotations are not something to brag about. If Pop had any questions about Wilcox's attitude, Presti would have the answers for him. And the answer would not be a good one. That all being said I give him a less than 5 % chance of him becoming a Spur.

:flag::flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:.....2010= :lobt2:

ajballer4
06-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I like Villy
I hope he comes. Hes a better more athletic bonner

buttsR4rebounding
06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Wow, Villenueva moved from 5% to 8%--you have a pretty accurate system. How do you do in Vegas?

coyotes_geek
06-25-2009, 09:29 AM
I like Villy
I hope he comes. Hes a better more athletic bonner

Milwaukee didn't give away Richard Jefferson just to let someone else sign Villanueva.

Chieflion
06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
If the Spurs sign Villanueva, they would be nothing more than a FO backstabbing the other team.

BacktoBasics
06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
The only real options I see are Wallace and Gooden. Both are decent fits. McD isn't leaving Detroit. Warrick would work but I think he's a stretch to come over.

Texas_Ranger
06-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I think that we've got the best chance with Zaza, Gortat, McDyess. I think they'll all want to play for $ 5 milion.
Villanueva is not coming here for sure. Didn't the Bucks trade us RJ just to sign him?
Warrick could accept 5 milion, but he's just 6-8 tall. And I gues we need someone bigger than him. The same is with Davis.
Varejao and Wilcox will want more money, so they're out.
I'd sign Gooden again, but he really sucks at defense...so if we really can't get anyone better, the he's OK.
Wallace will want at least $ 8 milions. If not, then he would be perfect for us. We can just hope.

Spurtacus
06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
C's have already made an offer to Davis.

Wallace, Zaza, Gortat, Gooden are realistic options though slim.

BacktoBasics
06-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I would have figured Warrick to want quite a bit more than 5 mil. If 5 mil is all it takes I think his athleticism outweighs his lack of size. That'd be a good signing.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow, Villenueva moved from 5% to 8%--you have a pretty accurate system. How do you do in Vegas?

Its an opinion.

Spurs Brazil
06-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I think Ike Diogu also can be a good option

mountainballer
06-25-2009, 09:59 AM

totally agree. much like Shelden Williams he might just need the right team and coaching and could become a decent NBA player.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2009, 10:07 AM

I do too. The thread was for big men for the MLE though. I would love to add Diogu on a cheap multi-year contract. Like three year deal, with a team option for the third for less than the LLE.

Libri
06-25-2009, 10:17 AM
It was reported that Rasheed wanted $8 million or he would retire. I don't think any team will give him that but if he's looking to get paid then he will try to go to a team that will give him the most amount of money.

vander
06-25-2009, 10:17 AM
:lol at getting Villy after that Jefferson trade :lol

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
It was reported that Rasheed wanted $8 million or he would retire. I don't think any team will give him that but if he's looking to get paid then he will try to go to a team that will give him the most amount of money.

By a friend of a friend. It wasn't an official report.

buttsR4rebounding
06-25-2009, 11:17 AM

Afterall, he's got to feed his family!

bigdog
06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
I think the most realistic options would probably be Pachulia, Wallace, and Gooden.