PDA

View Full Version : LA sold #29 to NY

2Cleva
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
New York Knicks officials are telling peers they have purchased the Lakers’ No. 29 pick.

The Knicks are planning to draft a point guard with their choice at No. 8, and sources say they’re targeting a big man at 29.

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak said on Wednesday the team hoped to sell its pick and use to money to help re-sign free agents Lamar Odom and Trevor Ariza.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AoGnwgkTyAQFvR3Q9u6.XgC8vLYF?slug=aw-draftbuzz062409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

First check off Mitch's to do list.

2Cleva
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Yahoo changed the report. Now it reads:

New York Knicks officials are telling peers they have purchased a pick late in the first round. NBA executives believe it is either the Grizzlies’ pick at No. 27 or the Lakers’ at No. 29.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Pick one of Odom or Ariza, because both aren't coming back.

turiaf for president
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
i was hoping they'd pick up darren collison but maybe he slips to 42nd pick

IronMexican
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Good move by Mitch.

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM

You have no clue what you are talking about. As usual.

2Cleva
06-25-2009, 12:04 PM

I'd bet on that.

LA just saved $3 mil (counting lux tax). That alone covers Shannon Brown's contract.

IronMexican
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
If the Lakers don't get both back, I'd settle for one of them and Brown.

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2009, 12:14 PM
If the Lakers don't get both back, I'd settle for one of them and Brown.

We can't afford to get worse when everyone else is getting better. The front office knows that. With Cleveland getting Shaq and who knows what else and Houston possibly getting Amare ect. They don't have a choice but to resign both now.

IronMexican
06-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I am hoping for Houston to get Amare.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd bet on that.

LA just saved $3 mil (counting lux tax). That alone covers Shannon Brown's contract.

You mean spread out over two years? The move only saves them $1.6M or so (counting lux tax) for next season. I seriously doubt you see Brown, Powell, nor Yue back in LA unless something goes drastically wrong with their re-signing of Ariza and Odom.

Allanon
06-25-2009, 12:24 PM
The Richard Jefferson trade has pretty much forced the Lakers to keep BOTH Ariza and Odom.

Lakers are just finding ways to save their pennies elsewhere now.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Odom will be signed, and Ariza will be forced to take a low-ball offer because the Spurs are set at the three spot, and the other contenders cant throw huge money his way, and he would be forced to go to the bench. He could pull a Turiaf, but I doubt it.

Ariza will prob get MLE offers. He definitely won't get the kind of deals he would if he hit free agency next season though.

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Ariza will prob get MLE offers.

Yup. No way he gets offered more than that.

2Cleva
06-25-2009, 12:36 PM
You mean spread out over two years? The move only saves them $1.6M or so (counting lux tax) for next season. I seriously doubt you see Brown, Powell, nor Yue back in LA unless something goes drastically wrong with their re-signing of Ariza and Odom.

Mitch and Phil have already made it clear they want Brown back. Add that to Farmar being offerred in trades and there you go.

As for the money saved - last year's 29 pick (D.J. White) made .96. Safe to say it makes 1 mil this year. Lux tax makes it $2 mil. Add in the money NY paid for the pick and SB should be about covered.

2Cleva
06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
LOL. LA got PAID for that pick.

The NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers have sold the No. 29 pick in the first round of the NBA draft to the New York Knicks for $3 million, multiple sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4285133

IronMexican
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
3 mill. Nice. Go out there and re-sign!

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Good move for LA. It's doubtful they were going to find anyone who would make that roster at 29.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Mitch and Phil have already made it clear they want Brown back. Add that to Farmar being offerred in trades and there you go.

As for the money saved - last year's 29 pick (D.J. White) made .96. Safe to say it makes 1 mil this year. Lux tax makes it $2 mil. Add in the money NY paid for the pick and SB should be about covered.

The CBA has the pick making around $830k or so as the minimum.

poop
06-25-2009, 12:56 PM

its the Lakers, they will keep them both.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 01:10 PM
a $3 million #29?

I still doubt they resign both.

KSeal
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
a $3 million #29?

I still doubt they resign both.

You have no clue wether they'll resign both or not. You just don't want them to so you say they won't. If I was a fan of the Spurs I would be saying the same thing.

Spurtacus
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Nice deal by LA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-25-2009, 01:45 PM
HEY, yo Sarver, it wouldn't kill you buy a pick here or there rather than sell one.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
You have no clue wether they'll resign both or not. You just don't want them to so you say they won't. If I was a fan of the Spurs I would be saying the same thing.

I'm going off the fact Kobe will opt out and demand more money, which is going to happen.

Signing both Ariza and Odom to what their asking will put a dent in that idea, no? Unless the owners are willing to pay some 10-15 million more luxtax AFTER ariza and odom's contracts?

I'm just saying what I feel is going to happen based on the facts. Ariza and Odom together propel them deep into luxury tax territory. Unless Kobe shocks the world, it seems likely he will want more money as its his last major contract, which propels them quite a bit deeper. If they keep just one (probably Ariza), they don't have to worry about losing many millions to the league.

Besides, for all the problems Odom presents, I haven't been overly impressed with him throughout his Laker tenure.

DeadlyDynasty
06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm going off the fact Kobe will opt out and demand more money, which is going to happen.

Signing both Ariza and Odom to what their asking will put a dent in that idea, no? Unless the owners are willing to pay some 10-15 million more luxtax AFTER ariza and odom's contracts?

while you're peering into that crystal ball can you get me this week's lotto #'s? thanks a bunch

2Cleva
06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Kobe said he's not leaving, not that he wasn't opting out.

If Kobe opts out, he actually makes less next year with a max deal than he would under his current deal.

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/791/20090618/the_official_kobe_bryant_free_agency_primer/

z0sa
06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=z0sa;3490111]I'm going off the fact Kobe will opt out and demand more money, which is going to happen.

/QUOTE]

Kobe has said he is not opting out.

source? I've never heard this personally. If so, it does change the landscape a bit, but again, I've never heard this.

Besides, it doesn't mean shit when Kobe says something.

KSeal
06-25-2009, 01:52 PM

First off, if he does opt out it would save the Lakers roughly 2 million for this year, so really it would help the Lakers to resign both players if he opts out. Secondly, he has said multiple times he isn't opting out. He'll probably opt out next year to redo his contract.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
First off, if he does opt out it would save the Lakers roughly 2 million for this year, so really it would help the Lakers to resign both players if he opts out. Secondly, he has said multiple times he isn't opting out. He'll probably opt out next year to redo his contract.

Players don't have options for every year, AFAIK. I know he's Kobe, but contracts are structured to best help the team acquire other contracts like puzzle pieces. I doubt he has player options every year of his last three (which is what you're implying). If its a team option next season which is what I'd predict, I doubt they decline it to let him restructure his contract for more money (especially with those crazy euro teams possibly offering huge bucks to him)

if you have some better info regarding his contract, feel free to inform. But its basically common knowledge Kobe is going to indirectly screw you for millions by opting out. If he took less a la Timmy, I'd be very surprised.

duncan228
06-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Kobe Bryant said he plans to stay with the NBA champion Los Angeles Lakers even he if opts out of his contract this summer.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129034

KSeal
06-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Players don't have options for every year, AFAIK. I know he's Kobe, but contracts are structured to best help the team acquire other contracts like puzzle pieces. I doubt he has player options every year of his last three (which is what you're implying). If its a team option next season which is what I'd predict, I doubt they decline it to let him restructure his contract for more money (especially with those crazy euro teams possibly offering huge bucks to him)

if you have some better info regarding his contract, feel free to inform. But its basically common knowledge Kobe is going to indirectly screw you for millions by opting out. If he took less a la Timmy, I'd be very surprised.

Did you miss the entire first part of my post? If he opts out this year it would SAVE the Lakers roughly 2 million in salary and 4 with tax, so therefor there is a better chance Ariza and Lamar get resigned. I hope he opts out this year.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Did you miss the entire first part of my post? If he opts out this year it would SAVE the Lakers roughly 2 million in salary and 4 with tax, so therefor there is a better chance Ariza and Lamar get resigned. I hope he opts out this year.

Did you read mine?

They sign them this year, save 4mil, then lose 10+ million every year just to the luxury tax the next 4-5 years (so around 20 mil extra for ariza, odom, and kobe's new contract). It's about planning for the years after next, bud. That's how any successful business runs.

KSeal
06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Did you read mine?

They sign them this year, save 4mil, then lose 10+ million every year just to the luxury tax the next 4-5 years (so around 20 mil extra for ariza, odom, and kobe's new contract). It's about planning for the years after next, bud. That's how any successful business runs.

Morrison, Farmar and Fisher are all expiring contracts next season. While other scrubs the Lakers don't even need if Lamar and Ariza resign have contracts that expire the following year as well like Sasha fucking Vujacic's 15 million. Kobe brought a championship back to LA without Shaq like everyone said he couldn't do, I hope he gets paid, he deserves it.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 02:12 PM

It would save a little more than $700k for next season, so about $1.4M with luxury tax considerations. It'd be a smart move with the possible 2010 lockout.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Morrison, Farmar and Fisher are all expiring contracts next season.

Replacing Fisher and even Farmar on the cheap ain't gonna be easy (what does shannon brown want?). Look defensive as hell LA fan, I'm not hating. Can we have a discussion about our opinions concerning your cap situation without you getting angry?

LnGrrrR
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I always find it strange that you can "buy" picks in the NBA, and that it happens often. Can you imagine if the Yankees could buy picks? They'd be picking half the draft :D

KSeal
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Replacing Fisher and even Farmar on the cheap ain't gonna be easy. Look defensive as hell LA fan, I'm not hating. Can we have a discussion about our opinions concerning your cap situation without you getting angry?

How am I angry? I'm just giving you the facts of the situation cause you're clearly bullshitting cause you don't want to see the Lakers resign their guys, which is very understandable. Fisher could be resigned for cheap, Farmar too. Still the Lakers will have at least 7 million off the cap next year and 6 the following so Kobe taking more money doesn't really hurt them that much if it means Ariza and Lamar stay.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
How am I angry? I'm just giving you the facts of the situation cause you're clearly bullshitting

that's how you're angry, its not direct insulting but its anger

second, you weren't the only one talking shit, like I said, don't be so defensive.

ginobili's bald spot
06-25-2009, 02:20 PM
that's how you're angry, its not direct insulting but its anger[/QUOTE]

:lol What are you talking about

KSeal
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
that's how you're angry, its not direct insulting but its anger

:lmao Ok, now you're just changing the subject cause I owned you. I'm done.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 02:41 PM
:lmao Ok, now you're just changing the subject cause I owned you. I'm done.

only 12 year olds "own" people on an internet forum. Second, my facts are all in line - what did you own me at exactly? Inability to plan ahead?

The owners don't want to lose 15 million bucks of their profit to the League for 4 years just to be the most stacked team possible on the floor. They wish they could, but there's not enough money to go around for the smaller percentage owners to immediately approve of deals losing millions of dollars. I know its not your money bouncing around, but every owner wants to be outside of the luxury tax threshold. By resigning Odom, Ariza, and Bryant for more they essentially commit to being several millions dollars into the luxury tax for years... AFAIK, this is all accurate information. While Bus has previously concluded he doesn't mind going over the threshold, I'm not sure he's ready to commit several millions more over than ever.

The Lakers can still make sound decisions, and I never denied your comments concerning saving them money now. However, I'd be happier to pay ariza whatever he wants and replace Odom cheaper. He's not a necessary cog to win - Ariza is (as the perimeter stopper and as an athletic shooting roleplayer). Whatever matchup problems Odom causes, he tends to destroy with inconsistent play. Only when he's rebounding well and being aggressive is he going to be worth the money you'll pay.

iggypop123
06-25-2009, 02:59 PM
great move. 3 million for FA is better than some 15th man in the nbdl

06-25-2009, 05:05 PM
now's the spurs chance, they need to throw a lot of money at ariza and force the lakers to choose between him and odom.

Allanon
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
I always find it strange that you can "buy" picks in the NBA, and that it happens often. Can you imagine if the Yankees could buy picks? They'd be picking half the draft :D

I don't know if it applies to selling picks but you can't trade a pick twice in a row.

It is kinda crazy how you can sell them. Phoenix sold a bunch of theirs and for awhile Portland was buying like crazy.

iggypop123
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
now's the spurs chance, they need to throw a lot of money at ariza and force the lakers to choose between him and odom.

they are over the cap. they would probably help by setting the bar lower than people think it might be