PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic Acquire Vince Carter in exchange for Courtney Lee Alston and Battie

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Link in a sec.

Cry Havoc
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Holy cow.

This is already one of the most active post-seasons in NBA history.

Incredible. We are lucky to see this as fans.

Muser
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Good trade for the nets IMO.

JoeTait75
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Good trade for the nets IMO.

Agreed. Harris-Lee-Lopez is a nice, nice nucleus.

Cry Havoc
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, horrible trade for Orlando.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
FUCK

I really wish my friends wouldn't tell me trades are official unless they are.

sook
Holy cow.

This is already one of the most active post-seasons in NBA history.

Incredible. We are lucky to see this as fans.

Yup....and if the rockets can lands stoud.

sook
FUCK

I really wish my friends wouldn't tell me trades are official unless they are.

link on hoopsworld...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
then post it lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-25-2009, 04:08 PM
It's disgusting every bottom feeder besides the Suns are able to take advantage of desperate contenders

JamStone
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I like it for Orlando. VC gets to play with a dominant big man in his prime (Bosh wasn't that yet when they played together), it opens more playing time for Pietrust at SF, and I think VC will be better than Hedo. They get rid of any PG problems by shipping Alston. I'll take VC over Courtney Lee even though I like Lee. Now, they need to find a nice, athletic, role playing big man.

xtremesteven33
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Nelson
Carter
Hedo
Lewis
Howard

OMG :wow

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgAA52xjTjYp5ofxt6PCNCc5nYcB?slug=aw-cartertrade062509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
So no one thinks they will re sign Hedo?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Nelson
Carter
Hedo
Lewis
Howard

OMG :wow

They ain't keeping Hedo

BacktoBasics
Magic will probably still keep Hedo. They'll need a solid back up PG other than Reddick for this to work.

bostonguy
Orlando just said adios to Hedo. Unless they plan on increasing that payroll, I dont see them trying to keep Hedo.

JamStone
06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Ryan Anderson will be the Shannon Brown of this trade. :lol

mavs>spurs2
Lee > Carter

xtremesteven33
Hedo would be stupid to not want to sign back with the Magic now....

bostonguy
Magic will probably still keep Hedo. They'll need a solid back up PG other than Reddick for this to work.

They still have Anthony Johnson who is a solid backup. They will need 1-2 backup bigman since they will prob let Gortat walk.

DPG21920
So was Hedo for 10M and keeping Lee not better than VC for 17M?

xtremesteven33
Lee > Carter

:td :td :td

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
This upcoming NBA season is going to be ridiculous if the Spurs get a big man, Lakers re-sign Odom and Ariza, and Boston adds a little depth..

BacktoBasics
06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
They may lose Gortat but I still see Hedo returning. Especially if they don't pursue a back up PG because Hedo regularly handles the ball.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
Vince does everything Turkoglu does, except he does it better..a healthy Nelson is more valuable to Orlando than Turkoglu, so this trade makes sense..Hedo wouldn't be as useful coming up, and Vince is much better..Turkoglu was huge this year after Nelson's injury, because he was their primary ball handler and pick and roll player..he will no longer have to do that..

I imagine they would also re-sign Gortat now..

Ryan Anderson is a solid bench player..

sook
06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Vince does everything Turkoglu does, except he does it better..a healthy Nelson is more valuable to Orlando than Turkoglu, so this trade makes sense..Hedo wouldn't be as useful coming up, and Vince is much better..

I imagine they would also re-sign Gortat now..

Ryan Anderson is a solid bench player..

Hedo is a point forward. Vince is not.

sook
But also, i may be the only person that realizes this, but hedo is one of the dumbest players in the NBA

DUNCANownsKOBE2
Agreed here Ryan Anderson is a legit role player off the bench.

Cry Havoc
06-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Hedo is a point forward. Vince is not.

Does that mean he plays the 4? :lol

sook
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Does that mean he plays the 4? :lol

He is around 6'10" so i guess he could.

What you should look at is the fact that Rashard and hedo are interchangeable...they do the same things, both are actually 3s that are the size of 4s

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Hedo being a point forward is pointless now..as I said before, the reason he was so valuable was because he took Nelson's role..

Jameer isn't a spot-up shooter or a role player..he's a ball handler and pick&roll player..before his injury, he was playing all-star basketball, while Turkoglu wasn't nearly as useful..

having Turkoglu on the team is pointless now..

they're better off signing Gortat and looking for some veterans to fill the roster..

they're going to have 2 guards to create offense in Nelson and Carter, a post/mismatch in Lewis, and Howard down low..they need role players now..they'll have Pietrus, and possibly Gortat, both very solid role players..they'll just have to fill that out..

bostonguy
06-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Fuck even with a healthy Celtic team, Orlando (assuming they keep Hedo) is going to be even stronger next year. Im sure Dwight Howard is going to be learning some post moves this summer as well. Orlando is easily the team to beat in the east.

sook
06-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Hedo being a point forward is pointless now..as I said before, the reason he was so valuable was because he took Nelson's role..

Jameer isn't a spot-up shooter or a role player..he's a ball handler and pick&roll player..

having Turkoglu on the team is pointless now..

they're better off signing Gortat and looking for some veterans to fill the roster..

Exactly, I think it is ebtter to let him walk than overpay him like they did lewis.

Hedo is a very very very dumb player that will make a deciding play every once in a while. I can't think of how they wouldn't be able to fill the gap if he chooses to depart.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 04:24 PM
maybe a sign and trade hedo for a quality 4?

sonic21
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
this trade helps the cavs

benefactor
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Holy shit...this is incredible. If Orlando keeps Gortat and gets some youngsters to fill the roster out they are going to be scary. Danny Ferry just crapped himself.

LnGrrrR
06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Link in a sec.

Wtf? Really? Holy crap.

Short term, Orlando got a star who can be electric when he's not being crazy... but having to give up Alston and Courtney Lee? Looks like EVERY team is loading up for this year.

JamStone
He is around 6'10" so i guess he could.

What you should look at is the fact that Rashard and hedo are interchangeable...they do the same things, both are actually 3s that are the size of 4s

3s that are the "height" of 4s, not the size of 4s. Both still get killed in the post by legit power forwards, which many of the top teams in the league have.

sook
3s that are the "height" of 4s, not the size of 4s. Both still get killed in the post by legit power forwards, which many of the top teams in the league have.

Sorry, thats what I meant, i guess i should have worded it better.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
not sure about salaries but a S/T Hedo to someone like Portland for Outlaw/Sergio/Filler makes the magic deeper and more dangerous.

Nelson, Carter, and Hedo are all players who dominate the ball to be effective. Trading Hedo for a defensive stopper and spot up shooter helps the Magic a lot.

gaKNOW!blee
06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, at least we know Vince can finish at the rim.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 04:32 PM
If they do not resign Hedo, I do not think this was a great move by the Magic. Not a bad one, just not a smart one.

Hedo for 10M + Lee is better than VC and 16-17M for 2 more years (although I think his last year in not fully guaranteed).

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
It also depends on whether or not they get Gortat, and if they can fill out the roster..

JamStone
06-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Hedo and Lee might be a better value than VC, but they're not better. VC gives them a more consistent explosive scoring from the wing position than those two combined. When the best teams have guys like Kobe, LeBron, and Pierce, it's a bonus to have a guy that can go toe-to-toe with each of them and drop 35 points a night in a series. Not just once, but every game of a series. That's where Carter's value will really come. Plus, Vince is a pretty good low post offensive player for a guard. Hedo and Rashard are both face-up players or spot up shooters. And with Dwight still not consistent in the low post, this gives the Orlando offense a low post scorer. I like the deal for the Magic even if Hedo does not re-sign. In fact, I think it creates problems if Hedo does re-sign. Pietrus fits better as a role player and spot up shooter rather than a guy that needs and wants the ball in his hands on offense a lot.

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
JamStone covered it well, as usual..

another thing about Vince..if they make the Finals vs. LA, they'll be happy..Vince ALWAYS goes at Kobe on both sides..Kobe is by far the one guy that you can count on Vince bringing his A-game against..I don't know why, but that's just the way it is..

The first season where Vince switched teams was 2004-2005..that was arguably the best season of his career, where he carried a horrible Nets team with serious injuries to the playoffs..he was receiving MVP hype by a lot of people for the 2nd half of the season..

He is no longer that guy due to age, but you can expect the same effort..

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Orlando just said adios to Hedo. Unless they plan on increasing that payroll, I dont see them trying to keep Hedo.

The Carter trade puts their payroll at $66.75 million. That's enough room to bring Turkoglu back unless some idiot decides GM to pay him $10 million starting.

06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
this is crazy if the magic somehow resigns turkoglu. all five starters on that team would be an all star. otherwise, it's just a dumb move. the magic were serious contenders last year until nelson went down. they still made it to the finals without their all star point guard. they basically traded away their entire bench for vince carter. if they keep turkoglu, it's pure genius because they won't need much of a bench next to pietrus.

JamStone
06-25-2009, 04:59 PM
But that $66.7 million doesn't include re-signing Gortat or getting a serviceable back-up center if they don't re-sign Gortat. Hedo is going to want at least $8-9 million a year. That's not enough room unless the Magic don't care how far past the luxury tax they'll go.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Not to mention they have Johnson as the back up point guard and Reddick as the back up shooting guards. That imo is not a lot of depth.

angelbelow
06-25-2009, 05:07 PM
not bad

JamStone
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Not to mention they have Johnson as the back up point guard and Reddick as the back up shooting guards. That imo is not a lot of depth.

The Lakers had Farmar and Vujacic as the back-up guards before Phil started using Shannon Brown (who didn't play much in the Finals), but they were fine with their guard depth. Plus, if Nelson returns healthy, he's capable of playing big minutes. VC should still be able to play 32-35 mpg. Except for injuries, there's not a great need for depth. Johnson can handle 15 minutes a game and Pietrus can play some 2-guard with Rashard Lewis spending some time at small forward. If the Magic can add one more guy who's versatile enough to play both forward spots, they should have enough depth.

tomtom
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
no depth whatsoever for the magic but thats a mighty fearsome starting 5

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
They can still fill out their roster with veterans..

You guys also have to consider the fact that Turkoglu might have asked for more $ than they were willing to pay, so they acquired somebody to replace him..

Chillen
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
This just means that the East is gonna be a war zone in 2010 for the ECF and NBA finals. No win will be easy, whoever gets out of the East is gonna be the last man standing.

bdictjames
06-25-2009, 06:28 PM
So no more Hedo?

HarlemHeat37
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Courtney Lee is not a promising player, I don't understand where this hype comes from..he's a role player..

Killakobe81
06-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Hedo and Lee might be a better value than VC, but they're not better. VC gives them a more consistent explosive scoring from the wing position than those two combined. When the best teams have guys like Kobe, LeBron, and Pierce, it's a bonus to have a guy that can go toe-to-toe with each of them and drop 35 points a night in a series. Not just once, but every game of a series. That's where Carter's value will really come. Plus, Vince is a pretty good low post offensive player for a guard. Hedo and Rashard are both face-up players or spot up shooters. And with Dwight still not consistent in the low post, this gives the Orlando offense a low post scorer. I like the deal for the Magic even if Hedo does not re-sign. In fact, I think it creates problems if Hedo does re-sign. Pietrus fits better as a role player and spot up shooter rather than a guy that needs and wants the ball in his hands on offense a lot.

I agree Jamstone said it well ..and as others have said he plays Kobe well. But heck so has Battier, Artest and Pietrius and that hasnt stopped Kobe.
I muat say I like Orlando more than the Cavs even without Hedo ...plus with Hedo roles are not defined well. They will miss his ball handling because even with Jameer Hedo could see over traps and is a btter deep shooter with Nelson you can gu under the screen Hedo forces you to go over ...when he is hot.

Plus he has proven to be clutch NO ONE else besides Lewis has shown that in BIG games but VC sis have some huge clutch plays early in his career so we'll see if he can recapture that magic (ha) in Orlando.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-25-2009, 09:06 PM
But also, i may be the only person that realizes this, but hedo is one of the dumbest players in the NBA

:toast

Budkin
06-26-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm pissed that they gave up Lee for VC... I thought Lee was a badass who was only going to get better.

IronMexican
06-26-2009, 01:18 AM
I'd take Hedo over VC.

dirk4mvp
06-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd take Hedo over VC.

I would too.

InK
06-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Lets see what they get back for Hedo, but i dont get this one at all. They were set before.

TJastal
06-26-2009, 07:21 AM
This is a GREAT move for the Orlando Magic, as good as the spurs acquiring Jefferson.

The magic defenitely needed a guy who can create his own offense and put points on the board. They were too reliant on the inside/outside game of Dwight Howard and a bunch of spot up shooters before. With Turkoglu being the main guy picking up the slack. Turk's good but he's not prime time, he'd be much better coming off the bench IMO.

Vince Carter OTOH will put HUGE pressure on opposing teams to stop him, and free up everyone else on the magic to really goto town.

There won't be nearly as much pressure on Dwight Howard now to score, which is not really his game. His game is more about defense (shotblocking & intimidation) and rebounding. He can now focus on those things and not have to worry about carrying the load offensively as well as defensively.

Wow, one has to think the Magic are almost a lock to return to the finals again next year.

TJastal
06-26-2009, 08:53 AM
AND I don't know if this was mentioned but... the magic got a decent 6'10" PF prospect Ryan Anderson out of the deal as well

So in essence

Magic solved their point guard situation by shipping out Alston (ya Rafer was going to be a problem with Nelson and everyone knew it), acquired a top flight scorer in Carter, bolstered their frontline with young prospect PF that can knock the 3 down.

All they gave up was a role player(Battie) and a young prospect Courtney Lee.

How anyone can say that was a dumb trade is beyond me. This puts them right up there with the Lakers now.

angel_luv
06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I would not have traded Lee. I think that was a stupid move. I like the Magic though, so hope it works out for them.

dirk4mvp
06-26-2009, 12:32 PM
How is this a bad trade for the Magic? If they sign back Turkey Glue, how are teams going to stop them? That's probably the best starting 5 in the league.

Nelson
Carter
Turkoglu
Lewis
Howard

IronMexican
06-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Magic FO are idiots. They downgrade they're SF spot and add about 10 million more dollars on the SF spot. Lose they're starting SG. I am sure people will mention Pietrus, but that's about 12 points you are losing off the bench. They got worse, added more payroll, and lost two starters.

JamStone
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Well the Magic fans shouldnt be suprised.

Ariza, Billups, and now Lee are added to the list of rookies traded immediately

Neither Ariza nor Billups were rookies with Orlando. And Billups never played for Orlando. He was part of a trade to Orlando to help match salaries but was injured at the time. He was released and never played a game for the Magic.

Spursfan092120
06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
How is this a bad trade for the Magic? If they sign back Turkey Glue, how are teams going to stop them? That's probably the best starting 5 in the league.

Nelson
Carter
Turkoglu
Lewis
Howard
That's just it though...I'm pretty sure this deal eliminates them resigning Hedo. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks.

tomtom
06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Actually yeah, now that Hedo is for certain not staying all of a sudden its not looking like that great of a trade. VC imo is a better player but not a better fit and now they lost Lee who is a defensive minded gem that they found. There game is gonna be completely flipped around now.

IronMexican
06-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Al would not do this trade. I don't see VC running a 4.28. Unless, the Basketball equivalent to speed(Football) is Vertical.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Had to laugh at the Rod Thorn interview during the draft.

Stu: "Rod, walk us through the decision to make this trade. What's the mindset behind trading Vince Carter?"

Drunk Fan: "Because he ssssuuuccckkksss!"

The guy had barely half a second to get that in but he nailed the timing. I just love it when a crowd shows up to play.

As for the trade, they traded versatility for pure scoring. If they couldn't afford to keep Turk then Carter's probably the next best thing, but I think he represents a downgrade. It's not a crippling loss of depth in the trade, bu if I was a Magic fan I don't think I'd feel the team gets any better with this move.

JamStone
06-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I think similar with the Shaq to Cleveland deal, much of it depends on what else the Magic do. If the Magic get a solid, versatile big man to back up the 4/5 positions and maybe a real cheap swing back-up, it will end up being a very, very good thing for the Magic. Hedo probably wouldn't play well having to play with Vince. But, Mickael Pietrus could fill in at small forward and looks like he could play well next to Vince. They could bring back a guy like Keith Bogans who can play the 2/3, is solid defensively, and can hit an open jumper every now and then. Then, get that solid back-up big man, and I think they're a better team than last year's Finals team.