PDA

View Full Version : The Championship Window Is Open A Crack

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:16 PM
While everything I predicted going into last season pretty much came into fruition (See: Tank 2008-09), I could not be more encouraged with the Spurs front office in the past week with the trade for Richard Jefferson and the drafting of Dejuan Blair.

The trade for Jefferson represents the first time in 20 years that the Spurs unloaded depth for the undisputed better player. Not only do the Spurs get rid of two hardworking players with obvious limitations in Oberto and Bowen, they obtain a talented swingman that immediately gives the team an offensive and defensive presence on the wing. Now, defenses can't sag on Duncan or peel off to defend Parker or Ginobili. And Jefferson's demeanor and winning attitude is tailor-made for the Spurs.

Being a fan of the Big East, I can't believe Dejuan Blair slipped to the Spurs. My friends are blowing me up on social apps, congratulating me on the Spurs' great fortune. Blair could start for San Antonio... right away. He could be the missing low-post threat on offense and defense to give an overextended Duncan some support.

After last season, I really questioned whether the front office and ownership was content to rest on the laurels of the 4 titles and ride the same tired ol' wagon until the wheels fell off.

This week restored my faith in the front office and proved to me that the franchise is still committed to putting a contender together. If this team can stay healthy for the playoffs, I truly believe that the Spurs can beat the Lakers. That says a lot from me, because at full strength, I knew we had no shot last year, with or without Ginobili.

Kudos to the Spurs front office for giving this skeptical Spurs fan a reason to believe again.

P.S.

I miss you Forum fans. It's tough for me to post with a wife and kid and trying to stay gainfully employed. Halla at me if you can on Twitter: Chris_Rinaldi

Here's to a successful Spurs season in 2009-10!

Sean Cagney
06-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Welp lets let them it WIDE OPEN THEN! Get a great draft and another FA pickup or two, then it's wide open.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2009, 10:18 PM
here we go...

duncan228
06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice to see you GW.

z0sa
06-25-2009, 10:19 PM
everyone told you so

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
lmao

Sigz
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
where's ducks?

stfu ducks, you faggot fuck.

Das Texan
06-25-2009, 10:22 PM
good to see casper around here every now and then.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I am still stunned that the front office reinvested in the roster for once.

The Spurs made a trade. One that clearly benefits the team!

And what a steal in the draft.

I'm actually looking forward to watching an extension of the Spurs viability instead of watching a proud franchise slowly fall apart.

Awesome.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
While everything I predicted going into last season pretty much came into fruition (See: Tank 2008-09), I could not be more encouraged with the Spurs front office in the past week with the trade for Richard Jefferson and the drafting of Dejuan Blair.

The trade for Jefferson represents the first time in 20 years that the Spurs unloaded depth for the undisputed better player. Not only do the Spurs get rid of two hardworking players with obvious limitations in Oberto and Bowen, they obtain a talented swingman that immediately gives the team an offensive and defensive presence on the wing. Now, defenses can't sag on Duncan or peel off to defend Parker or Ginobili. And Jefferson's demeanor and winning attitude is tailor-made for the Spurs.

Being a fan of the Big East, I can't believe Dejuan Blair slipped to the Spurs. My friends are blowing me up on social apps, congratulating me on the Spurs' great fortune. Blair could start for San Antonio... right away. He could be the missing low-post threat on offense and defense to give an overextended Duncan some support.

After last season, I really questioned whether the front office and ownership was content to rest on the laurels of the 4 titles and ride the same tired ol' wagon until the wheels fell off.

This week restored my faith in the front office and proved to me that the franchise is still committed to putting a contender together. If this team can stay healthy for the playoffs, I truly believe that the Spurs can beat the Lakers. That says a lot from me, because at full strength, I knew we had no shot last year, with or without Ginobili.

Kudos to the Spurs front office for giving this skeptical Spurs fan a reason to believe again.

P.S.

I miss you Forum fans. It's tough for me to post with a wife and kid and trying to stay gainfully employed. Halla at me if you can on Twitter: Chris_Rinaldi

Here's to a successful Spurs season in 2009-10!

On top of all that, RC has the green light to go into luxury tax territory and spend the MLE this summer. This is shaping up to be one of this team's best offseasons in years.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:37 PM
And now Jack McClinton... the gutsy shooter with 16 tattoos.

Is this what Spurs nirvana feels like?

Nice!

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
On top of all that, RC has the green light to go into luxury tax territory and spend the MLE this summer. This is shaping up to be one of this team's best offseasons in years.

Best. Offseason. Ever?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Who knows? Now that the Spurs are going Ghostal they might actually win a championship!!!1

jman3000

Nice!

That would be if he had 16 tats, cornrows, and a headband.

Marcus Bryant
Best. Offseason. Ever?

oh, i can think of others that were a bit better.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:40 PM
oh, i can think of others that were a bit better.

Name one that didn't include a magic #1 lottery pick.

I'll wait.

Das Texan
06-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Ghost is jizzing himself right now.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Who knows? Now that the Spurs are going Ghostal they might actually win a championship!!!1

Well, they might do more than luck into one.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:42 PM
89 was pretty good and the Spurs didn't have the #1 that year.

How'd the Spurs end up with Parker and Ginobili, BTW?

Damn, you're as easy as a sorority girl after half a margarita.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:43 PM

How'd they "luck" into Parker and Ginobili? Fuck man you still can't figure it out.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Best. Offseason. Ever?

Nah, 2000 when Tim stayed is the best one ever for Spurs fans. I gotta say this is shaping up to be the best since then. At least the best since 01 when Bowen came and the DA bullet was dodged.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Wowee.

You must be referring to the drafting of the Spurs' highest profile Spurs (Elliott, Ginobili and Parker) besides the two #1 picks in the last 20 years. Elliott was the third pick overall, Ginobili didn't play for the team until 3 years later and Parker was a pleasant surprise, but not the star he is today.

So, no, you can't name a better offseason in which the Spurs front office went out and got a proven star-quality commodity and buffered that with a solid draft.

Man, you are still the master of the epic fail.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
89 was pretty good and the Spurs didn't have the #1 that year.

How'd the Spurs end up with Parker and Ginobili, BTW?

Damn, you're as easy as a sorority girl after half a margarita.

'89 was bittersweet for me. I was an enormous Cummings fan from his days in Milwaukee, but I had been waiting 2 1/2 years to see Robertson+Robinson. With hindsight it was obviously the right move though.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Wowee.

You must be referring to the drafting of the Spurs' highest profile Spurs (Elliott, Ginobili and Parker) besides the two #1 picks in the last 20 years. Elliott was the third pick overall, Ginobili didn't play for the team until 3 years later and Parker was a pleasant surprise, but not the star he is today.

So, no, you can't name a better offseason in which the Spurs front office went out and got a proven star-quality commodity and buffered that with a solid draft.

Man, you are still the master of the epic fail.

Right, because the offseasons that have led to 4 championships don't count. It's only when the Spurs start spending in desperation to squeeze out one more championship. Spurs probably got the wrong has been Net too.

spurspokesman
06-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Yes sir. And they drafted out of the big east. I'm psyched right now gw

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
How'd they "luck" into Parker and Ginobili? Fuck man you still can't figure it out.

How can you credit the front office with Parker and Ginobili, yet pardon them for about 8 other fruitless drafts since their all-knowing selections?

Ginobili and Parker would be regarded like Nocioni and Deron Williams if not for Tim Duncan -- the man the front office and we all should acknowledge as "the franchise."

#1 lottery pick = luck.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Cleveland lucked out with one of the greatest players of all time as a #1 pick. Tell me how many championships that franchise has won since then.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Nah, 2000 when Tim stayed is the best one ever for Spurs fans. I gotta say this is shaping up to be the best since then. At least the best since 01 when Bowen came and the DA bullet was dodged.
Uggh.

It's sad that you'd cite the re-signed of the franchise as the best offseason, but I understand your perspective.

I rate this as the best, because the front office went above and beyond.

I can't point to offseason where the Spurs drafted an eventual solid player as a bigger success. The Spurs are entitled to drafts picks. A blind squirrel can find a nut given enough opportunities.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:03 PM
This is the "best" because the Spurs traded for someone your drunk ass had actually heard of before. dumbass.

SouthTexasRancher
06-25-2009, 11:03 PM

:rollin

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Cleveland lucked out with one of the greatest players of all time as a #1 pick. Tell me how many championships that franchise has won since then.
Nice diversion tactic after I owned you, but I'll play along.

Cleveland is doomed, because of some of the moves they've made, in my opinion. Lebron carried a horsesh1t team to the Finals to lose to our Spurs and last season coasted through the NBA season before being exposed by the Magic. Mo Williams is NOT a bonafide second star, regardless of his All-Star status. The Cavs front office desperately acquired Shaq to be that second star, but I don't think that he can run with Howard really any more successfully than Ilgauskas, Varejeo or B. Wallace did. So, yeah, the Cavs' front office can certainly be faulted for making the wrong moves, but not for a lack of trying.

My faith is restored in the front office. I don't know why you are trying to rain on the parade.

P.S.

My Van Jeff Van Gundy just said he was most impressed with our Spurs in his draft assessment, pointing to the R-Jeff trade, too.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
This is the "best" because the Spurs traded for someone your drunk ass had actually heard of before. dumbass.

You sound bitter. On top of being wrong.

You tried to poke holes in what I wrote and epically failed.

Have you not matured over the years?

This is s time to celebrate, not hate.

I know you're not accustomed to the Spurs front office actively and apparently upgraded with a trade. Yes, the Spurs made a beneficial trade for a player that would start on most teams in the NBA.

Let it sink in more before you wallow in your own self loathing.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Ah yes, the obvious example which refutes your idiotic argument is a "diversion." Hey, the Spurs haven't had a good offseason after 4 championships until the one which sees them desperately attempting to squeeze out one more title with the big 3 that...won you the last 3 championships.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Cleveland is doomed, because of some of the moves they've made,

LMAO. Damn, you are certifiably stupid.

xellos88330
06-25-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't think the window is open a crack. I think the Spurs just threw a big fuckin rock through the damn thing. Is it October yet???

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:18 PM
I wish I could interpret your rants to understand what point you are trying to make.

This is the first time in the Duncan era that the Spurs front office made a deal to bring in a starting-quality player. Until you can show me a better offseason in the last 20 seasons -- my original point that you failed in disproving -- then stop embarrassing yourself.

And I truly believe that the Cleveland front office is making moves, but just not the right ones.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Ah yes, the obvious example which refutes your idiotic argument is a "diversion." Hey, the Spurs haven't had a good offseason after 4 championships until the one which sees them desperately attempting to squeeze out one more title with the big 3 that...won you the last 3 championships.
You disapprove of the Spurs moves this offseason?

You'd prefer them to do the usual waiver wire pickups, lackluster draft picks and veteran signings?

Kill yourself.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I wish I could interpret your rants to understand what point you are trying to make.

This is the first time in the Duncan era that the Spurs front office made a deal to bring in a starting-quality player. Until you can show me a better offseason in the last 20 seasons -- my original point that you failed in disproving -- then stop embarrassing yourself.

And I truly believe that the Cleveland front office is making moves, but just not the right ones.

You are unable to understand the obvious. Exhibit A: Cleveland. It isn't as easy as simply having one of the greatest players of all time fall in your lap when it comes to winning championships. Somehow the right moves that the Spurs front office made which led to four NBA championships are ignored by you.

Figure it out, genius.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
You disapprove of the Spurs moves this offseason?

No. I do not believe it to be the greatest Spurs offseason of all time to land a has been discarded Net who is paid twice what he is worth. Oh yeah, this is the fucking greatest Spurs offseason EVAH. Man I'm sure going to punch one out thinking about Richard Fucking Jefferson.

Kill yourself.

You first.

Dex
06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
:corn:

I missed have GW around.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:32 PM
While I have given credit to the Spurs front office for the picks of Manu and Parker, I can't forgive them for many more fruitless drafts.

And I don't consider inactivity strategic genius.

You're arguing my point about the Cavs. The Cavs are making moves, but not the right ones, in my opinion. That said, in his first 6 seasons, James' Cavs have made the Conference Finals and the Finals. After a decade in the league, #1 pick David Robinson made his first Finals with -- guess who -- #1 pick Tim Duncan.

Please be happy the Spurs are actively trying and not just drafting and hoping for the best.

Owned.

duncan228
06-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Pass some of that over here.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
And Tim Duncan won his last two championships playing alongside David Robinson, no? Not to mention that by 2003 David Robinson was not the David Robinson of, say, 1993.

Yes, you have managed to "own" yourself again and again.

Four championships and the only time you get excited is when the Spurs trade for an overpaid Air Gay.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Man. I'm all tingly. The Spurs might win their first ever championship now that they're paying Richard Jefferson $15 mil a year.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:39 PM
And Tim Duncan won his last two championships playing alongside David Robinson, no? Not to mention that by 2003 David Robinson was not the David Robinson of, say, 1993.

Yes, you have managed to "own" yourself again and again.

Four championships and the only time you get excited is when the Spurs trade for an overpaid Air Gay.

I am sure there is a point in there somewhere, but you can't find it.

Tim Duncan won his last two championships with a healthy Manu and Parker, along with strong play from the perimeter and interior defense.

An offseason of healing, a strong draft and the acquisition of R-Jeff can get us back to that championship level.

That's what my thesis is.

I'm sorry you can't stand to see me happy with the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
lol. How'd those players end up in SA? How'd those players stay in SA? How was the rest of the team acquired? Apparently in your crackhead universe it is possible for a team to screw up having one of the greatest players of all time end up in their lap and not win the automatic championship. How'd the Spurs not fuck it up?

And Robinson's retirement refutes your point about having two #1s (albeit a decade apart) but you are mentally incapable of understanding that.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Oh damn. Richard Jefferson!!!!11. I can't wait to see the Spurs win their first Larry O'Brien!

tomtom
06-25-2009, 11:43 PM

JR SMITH? Haha any ways, I completely agree. I was assuming the Spurs were gonna just slowly deteriorate but this has been a great turn around already. Now to find one more big...

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:44 PM

I missed have GW around.

Meh, I'm already sick of him again. His shit gets old really fast.

50 cent
06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I feel just as Ghost. :tu

JLAZeroSeven
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice sig's, 50 cent.

ducks
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
where's ducks?

stfu ducks, you faggot fuck.

ducks was traverling on vacation today
ducks just checked in