PDA

View Full Version : Vince or R-Jeff?

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:23 PM
If you had your druthers, who which former Nets swingman would you rather have traded for if you were the Spurs front office?

Question

I would've been happy with either for different reasons, but ultimately, I think I like Jefferson for this team better, because he is less "me, first" and more durable than Vince. Jefferson is also a better defender and more physical. What Vince does better as far as flashiness, scoring and clutchness, I'm not sure out-values what R-Jeff brings to the Spurs.

Spurtacus
06-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Rj

spurspokesman
RJ in A new york minute. He offers more. Can contribute without disturbing big three. You dont need the best players' you need the right players' agree?

EricB
Pretty much what you said.

Better defender, better team player.

Just a better fit.

A round peg for a round hole.

Carter would've been a slightly larger round peg for a round hole.

Would've fit but would've been a tight squeeze and not quite right.

Leetonidas
06-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Jefferson. Cheaper, fits more of a need, don't have to trade Manu, better defensively, and he is younger.

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Agreed.

But you native Spurs fans will need to adjust to Jefferson's high-pitched voice.

He makes Urkel sound like Barry White.

bdictjames
06-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Jefferson's less injured.

baseline bum
06-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Jefferson by a mile. The Spurs desperately needed a guy who could play some D at the three so this team isn't completely lit up by the Josh Howards and Lamar Odoms of the league. Jackson would have been my first choice for the role, but I'm excited to have an athlete like Jefferson here now.

cheney212
06-25-2009, 10:32 PM
RJ carter would bitch too much

montgod
06-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Rj

Agloco
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
RJeff

Not even close.

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2009, 04:46 AM
RJ, because he play better D and I think is more a team player

johnnyblues
06-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Jefferson. Coz he's a cheaper/healthier version of Carter.

thekingrobert
06-26-2009, 05:02 AM
Carter but cause I'm totally bias for various reasons

scottspurs
06-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Jefferson.

Carter would of cost us Mason and Hill. Carter is better on O. RJ better on D. D>O

Jefferson is a 3 and Carter is more of a 2. Jefferson is a better team player. Carter would demand the ball. Jefferson will understand his role and Pop is more familiar with Jeffersons game because of the Olympics. Plus RJ is the second coming of Sean Elliott. Carter might of hurt the chemistry in the locker room and that is something you don't want to mess with. One of the reasons I am afraid of all these sheed rumors. I just don't know if he is the right fit. Maybe short term for cheap but I doubt rasheed will play for cheap. We'll see what happens.

timvp
06-26-2009, 05:43 AM
Jefferson. Cheaper, fits more of a need, don't have to trade Manu, better defensively, and he is younger.Bingo. I think VC is the better player but RJ fits so much better. If you trade for Carter, I don't think Carter and Ginobili mix too well. Neither is an especially good 1-on-1 defender and neither is really a small forward. You get VC, you then have to probably have to trade Manu elsewhere.

Plus, RJ is a proven complementary player. He's someone who will keep playing hard if he's not getting shots. You don't have to make sure he's constantly involved. RJ is a legit small forward and he can take a lot of defensive pressure away from Ginobili.

You lose out on passing, clutchness and explosiveness but RJ is a perfect fit to help the Big 3 and do it at a position of need.

spurs1990
06-26-2009, 06:30 AM
I suspect if we had picked up VC the votes would all have been for him.

However, I still believe VC is the better player, certainly would've added much needed excitement to the team, and additionally, we would have scored the 11th pick in yesterdays draft.

Vince Carter absolutely.

As far as age, RJ was brought in to utilized Duncan's shrinking window. Once Tim is gone, all hands will be re-evalued anyway, better believe it.

raspsa
06-26-2009, 07:13 AM
It depends. What does Carter's wife/girlfriend look like?

anakha
06-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Jefferson's durability (as evidenced by the past 2 seasons) pushes it over the top for me.

mando6599
06-26-2009, 07:22 AM
If you had your druthers, who which former Nets swingman would you rather have traded for if you were the Spurs front office?

Question

I would've been happy with either for different reasons, but ultimately, I think I like Jefferson for this team better, because he is less "me, first" and more durable than Vince. Jefferson is also a better defender and more physical. What Vince does better as far as flashiness, scoring and clutchness, I'm not sure out-values what R-Jeff brings to the Spurs.

I agree with these sentiments. Plus, the fact that Jeff played all 82 games last year alone says to me that he's more durable than Mr. Glass Ankles himself. I know that doesn't guarantee anything, but work ethic, character, and putting team before self are also bigger reasons I'd always pick Jeff over Vince.

mando

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
RJ plays for the team. VC plays for VC.

jgome21
06-26-2009, 04:52 PM
RJ fo sho, jus look at VC's horrible shot selection

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

However, I still believe VC is the better player, certainly would've added much needed excitement to the team, and additionally, we would have scored the 11th pick in yesterdays draft.

Vince Carter absolutely.

As far as age, RJ was brought in to utilized Duncan's shrinking window. Once Tim is gone, all hands will be re-evalued anyway, better believe it.

Much needed excitement?

I don't get this...

JamStone
06-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree RJ appears to fit better.

But I would challenge the view that VC is more injury prone. While RJ has played all 82 games the last two seasons, VC hasn't missed many games either. In his last four seasons, Vince Carter has played in 317 of the 328 possible games. RJ, because of one injury riddled season, has played in 297 of a possible 328 games in that same four year stretch. Vince has been pretty durable the last four years. And, aside from that crap he pulled in Toronto, he has played through minor injuries.

I do agree RJ fits better with the Spurs, but the "injury" argument for comparison between the two isn't really a valid one.

Libri
06-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Vince has blamed Bruce for his injuries.

JamStone
06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
RJ had sex with Tyson Beckford.

They both have character flaws.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

clubalien
06-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Vince Carter absolutely.

I think RJ is better than vince, because in the words on knicks fans "vince sucks". I think ROn artest would have been the best 3 for the spurs. Cheaper too.

HarlemHeat37
06-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Ron Artest would have been by far the worst fit..he has some of the worst shot selection in NBA history..

Vince is a much, much better player than RJ, but like everybody else has said, Jefferson is definitely the better fit..he'll also be able to play the defensive stopper role that Pop wants, while VC wouldn't have been able to do that at this age..

rayray2k8
06-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Simple
Manu + Jefferson > Vince Carter