PDA

View Full Version : Darn Good Draft

timvp
06-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Now don't trade any of them.

:hat

Cant_Be_Faded
06-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Shoulda traded mclinton and de colo for a consideration of cash.

Thomas82
06-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't know anything about our 51st pick. Was he any good in college?

Spurtacus
06-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm just glad we didn't draft a Euro for the second straight draft.

Draft exceeded my expectations. I just wish we grabbed a center.

urunobili
good one... going to bed now and with a good feeling.. thanks Pop...

Mugen
mcclinton seems like a definite pop backup pg. shoot first, ask questions later.

EricB
I'm just glad we didn't draft a Euro for the second straight draft.

Draft exceeded my expectations. I just wish we grabbed a center.

Nando De Colo is French.

Whats wrong with foreign players?

:lol

People are never happy.

EricB
06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Take Jannero Pargo and give him Nate Robinson hops.

Thats McClinton...

Chieflion
mcclinton seems like a definite pop backup pg. shoot first, ask questions later.
This proves that Vaughn will be gone.

Spurtacus
Nando De Colo is French.

Whats wrong with foreign players?

People are never happy.

Well, I'm expecting him to be on the roster next season. Not a draft and stash Euro is what I meant.

We got burned by Scola; who knows on Splitter; Mahinmi hasn't worked out yet.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Tim: would you have rather had Mills with the 51st? I think I would.

bigdog
Seriously, this is awesome. Get us a couple of solid bigs, and I will be the happiest man alive.

loveforthegame
Why 2 pgs??? We got to be trading someone. Cant believe we didnt take Nivins or Heytfelt with our last pick.

I love the Blair and McClinton picks but I was really hoping for Heyvelt or Nihvins with the last pick.

Still, damn good draft. Hard to complain.

FromWayDowntown
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Blair alone made this a successful draft.

McClinton seems like a guy who will get a look in summer league and then will either be on the Malik Hairston yo-yo between Austin and San Antonio or will do a James Gist sort of apprenticeship in Europe for a year or two.

And DeColo strikes me as an ideal draft-and-stash sort -- a worthwhile late flyer.

spurs1990
06-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok so our roster is potentially the following:

Parker/Hill/McClintock
Ginobili/Mason
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Bonner/Blair

Realistic?

timvp
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Tim: would you have rather had Mills with the 51st? I think I would.

Meh, don't really care. They are about the same. McC might be a better fit because he can actually shoot.

Both are long shots to make the team but shooters usually do well with Pop.

Mugen
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
we still need another Big. Sheed or Dice and this offseason is just money.

timvp
06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
Blair alone made this a successful draft. Agreed. That alone made this a successful draft. Fantastic gamble.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Parker/Hill/McClintock
Ginobili/Mason
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Bonner/Blair

Realistic?

You're forgetting a free agent big.

baseline bum
This is the first time I have been at all excited about a Spurs draft since 01 when everyone was hyped up about Tony.

Obstructed_View
DeColo can run the point, so he might have a chance to make the team. He makes George Hill very useful.

Brazil
06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
De colo will return in Europe for one or two years

Chomag
06-25-2009, 10:58 PM

Parker/Hill/McClintock
Ginobili/Mason
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Bonner/Blair

Realistic?

Parker/Hill/McClintock
Ginobili/Mason
Jefferson/Hairston
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Bonner/Blair

FromWayDowntown
06-25-2009, 10:59 PM
we still need another Big. Sheed or Dice and this offseason is just money.

I think the import of Blair is that when the Spurs get that other big in free agency, they'll have a pretty solid rotation. If they grab one of the high profile bigs in free agency and then can nab someone else via a trade or a smaller free agent deal, they could conceivably end up with 4 serviceable bigs without assuming that Mahinmi will be a contributor. They will have improved the quality of their bigs and the depth at those spots while getting relatively younger at the same time.

Spurtacus
06-25-2009, 10:59 PM

Parker/Hill/McClintock
Ginobili/Mason
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Bonner/Blair

Realistic?

Definitely need a big in there. I think McClinton will be on the Toros next season.

timvp
06-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Blair has a chance to be a third bigman. That's huge to get in the second round.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:03 PM
July 1st: time to go after two bigs

jcrod
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Blair has a chance to be a third bigman. That's huge to get in the second round.

Yeah we just need the second.

Spurs16212
06-25-2009, 11:04 PM
You're forgetting a free agent big.

I agree..... Maybe Gooden or Powe.... Who knows.....

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah, don't forget the Spurs have some FA time as well.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Spurs still need a very very good center and possibly a back up point if Nando or McC cannot make the team.

smrattler
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
JVG Says "Spurs are the winners for me"...

He likes the RJ move and getting Blair.

texasqb2
06-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Spurs still need a very very good center and possibly a back up point if Nando or McC cannot make the team.

have you ever heard of George Hill???

FromWayDowntown
06-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I think the other issue that makes the Blair pick such a good one for the Spurs is that they acquired a guy who appears to be able to step in and contribute without having to part with either Bonner or Mason, meaning the Spurs can either: (1) demote both to roles that are more fitting for their abilities; or (2) retain the option to trade either or both in an effort to acquire better fitting pieces without going ridiculously over the tax threshold.

Options are never a bad thing to have.

EricB
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM

God you guys are some greedy fuckers.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
June 25 02:21 AM

"Big"

Maybe a big is the way to go? It's not like they don't need one. A cheap second-rounder would be ideal, and maybe they can find a good high energy guy that could contribute in the upcoming year. Maybe even get lucky and find their own Powe/Millsap? Gibson might be well out of their reach but Pendegraph and Carroll would be intriguing.

Backup-point

Well, Beverly has intrigued me but Hill's presence makes him seem redundant. I'm sure Mills would be pretty high on the Spurs' board, De Colo seems a pretty logical choice, given the relationship's/familiarity, and Llull could very well be a possibility. But my guess?

Jack McClinton.

Not really much of a point at this juncture but brings a different skill set to the Tony/Hill battery. Pop's flirtation with Salim Stoudamire last year is something I just can't shake. Pop really liked the idea of an Eddie House on this roster and McClinton could very well give him that.

I figured they'd do something like this if they remained in their draft position, but to get Blair as your possible Powe/Big Baby/Millsap-type was surely unexpected.:wow McClinton I definitely saw coming, though.(Same goes for De Colo but for different reasons)

These last two drafts, especially when considering where they drafted, have been borderline spectacular.

One late-first and five second-rounders, and they could all end up making the roster at some point.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah we just need the second.

Free agency.

Whisky Dog
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I was shocked that both Young and Blair fell that far and then was ecstatic that the Spurs got Blair. Talent, rebounding, and toughness all in one, just what the Spurs need.

I think the ESPN commentator was right about Jack, he's going to have to show he's Eddie House for him to make the team.

Culo's gonna have to improve in Europe for a couple of years before he has a shot at the rotation.

Ditty
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
mclinton is 1st rounder

might be crazy to just stick this guy in austin if we might need a guy to shoot lights out

rather have mills but mills aint that great of defensive player

can tony or hill be possibly be traded within 2 years or so....

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM

God you guys are some greedy fuckers.

That is not being greedy. Everyone sees this. It is the truth. Making the RJ trade would be terrible if they did not upgrade the C/PF spot via FA or trade. It would be pointless.

Fans and the team want a legit chance to win.

Whisky Dog
Now with the addition of Blair, who's the best free agent big available that will fit this big man rotation and team?

DPG21920
have you ever heard of George Hill???

How much run did he get last year?

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Blair was an awesome pick. Many people will say "if he fell that far, there must be a reason", but hopefully he can provide an energy/rebounding boost. It can be infectious.

I hope he shows well in camp and remains healthy. I would like to see him make the team.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 11:25 PM
My initial thoughts on Blair:

This might be the best thing that could've ever happened for Blair and his career.

There isn't going to be any chance to get comfortable or lazy with his physique and coming to a team like the Spurs he'll be forced to apply him self on both ends of the court if he's to get any time, or actually stay on it without getting into foul-trouble.

Almost a best-case scenario for the Spurs in terms of on the court and financially.:tu

D-ROB 50
06-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Does de colo have any chance to play next season? We do need a back up pg.

DesignatedT
06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
i really dont want bonner.

Spursfan092120
06-25-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't know anything about our 51st pick. Was he any good in college?
GREAT 3 point shooter. Very streaky, and can be clutch.

jcrod
06-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Free agency.

Realize that, my point is I hope it happens. Quality that is.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Blair going 37 and Thabeet going 2 shows that the NBA height fetish is alive and well, despite all evidence to the contrary as to the value of height versus actual ability to play the game. Blair is a fucking monster on the glass. Malik Rose on roids. This is going to be fun.

jman3000
06-25-2009, 11:32 PM
As long as Mason doesn't play a second of PG I'm happy.

It'll be an interesting first couple of months to the season if these picks get some time (if they even make the team). The different line ups the Spurs are capable of are intriguing to say the least.

Obstructed_View
I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around the holes that have been patched up in this team in the last five days.

Tradition
Son of a bitch. Here come the fucking spurs. SHIT SHIT SHIT! These fuckers just keep on coming!:pctoss

taps
Culo's gonna have to improve in Europe for a couple of years before he has a shot at the rotation.

lol I was wondering when someone would bust this guy's black cherry. I've been calling him myCulo.

50 cent
06-25-2009, 11:33 PM
This is the most satisfied I can remember being after a draft in a good while.

Ditty
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
This is the most satisfied I can remember being after a draft in a good while.

me too last year thought i sucked i wanted chalmers whos not bad but hill might look liek the better all around player

SouthTexasRancher
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Sheed will be a Spur ... very soon!

scottspurs
06-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Chad ford is going to give us an A+ for our draft.

Link http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/round?draftyear=2009&round=2

7 (37) San Antonio (from Golden State through Phoenix) DeJuan Blair 6-7 277 PF Pittsburgh
Are you kidding me? How do these guys fall into San Antonio's lap? Tony Parker at 29? Ginobili late in the second? Now Blair here? This is a great pick for the Spurs. He might be able to start in San Antonio if Duncan plays the 5. This late in the draft, his knee issues aren't much of a risk; he's just a really cheap rebounder. The Spurs are getting an A+ tonight.

21 (51) San Antonio (from New Orleans through Toronto) Jack McClinton 6-1 185 SG Miami
Another value pick for the Spurs. He's an Eddie House clone. He can shoot the lights out and plays with a lot of energy.

23 (53) San Antonio (from Houston) Nando De Colo 6-5 185 PG France
Another really nice pick for the Spurs. He was the best player at the Reebok Eurocamp. He has a great feel for the game, and he shoots it. High basketball IQ. He's not a great athlete, but I'm a fan.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
On a side note, I am really surprised that Finley did not let the Spurs know what he was going to do before the draft.

timvp
06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
On a side note, I am really surprised that Finley did not let the Spurs know what he was going to do before the draft.

FFin.

fyatuk
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Son of a bitch. Here come the fucking spurs. SHIT SHIT SHIT! These fuckers just keep on coming!:pctoss

I loved when I heard the line "The Spurs don't rebuild, they reload." Made me smile :D

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
So you agree :lol

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:54 PM

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure there was any way you could stop me from picking up the option on my contract if I were him. He's gonna win another ring sitting behind the bench in a suit.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm not sure there was any way you could stop me from picking up the option on my contract if I were him. He's gonna win another ring sitting behind the bench in a suit.

Well like many have discussed, if the Spurs plan on using him as a trade asset, he might think twice. He might want to have a say on where he plays.

TDMVPDPOY
06-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Link http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/round?draftyear=2009&round=2

7 (37) San Antonio (from Golden State through Phoenix) DeJuan Blair 6-7 277 PF Pittsburgh
Are you kidding me? How do these guys fall into San Antonio's lap? Tony Parker at 29? Ginobili late in the second? Now Blair here? This is a great pick for the Spurs. He might be able to start in San Antonio if Duncan plays the 5. This late in the draft, his knee issues aren't much of a risk; he's just a really cheap rebounder. The Spurs are getting an A+ tonight.

this guy was meant to be a top 15-20 pick.....this is like splitter dropping to our lap

SouthTexasRancher
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM

21 (51) San Antonio (from New Orleans through Toronto) Jack McClinton 6-1 185 SG Miami
Another value pick for the Spurs. He's an Eddie House clone. He can shoot the lights out and plays with a lot of energy.

23 (53) San Antonio (from Houston) Nando De Colo 6-5 185 PG France
Another really nice pick for the Spurs. He was the best player at the Reebok Eurocamp. He has a great feel for the game, and he shoots it. High basketball IQ. He's not a great athlete, but I'm a fan.

:tu:tu:tu

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Well like many have discussed, if the Spurs plan on using him as a trade asset, he might think twice. He might want to have a say on where he plays.

That's the risk you take. If he's got trade value, then I hope he stays anyway. I'm perfectly happy for the Spurs to go into camp with the guys they currently have (with possibly MH) and wait for a potential trade to develop during the season.

Chomag
06-26-2009, 12:04 AM

As long as he is on the bench lol

Solid D
06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm amazed the Spurs got Blair. Wow, wow wow! I am stoked. They needed rebounding and an inside presence and it fell into their laps.

McClinton can fill it up and Nando was there at 53. That is an Grade A draft and maybe an A+ week with the Jefferson trade.

The Grizzlies got three players with amazing talent with Thabeet, Carroll and Young. They get an A+ tonight and couldn't have done better.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:08 AM
As long as he is on the bench lol

fuck the bench, i tell him dont bother reporting up for work man

Tully365
06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
This morning, Blair was listed on draft express as the 11th best prospect in the entire draft, and the Spurs got him at 37! Without question, the Spurs got the steal of the draft. Strange that a great Pittsburgh team got so little respect in the draft!

Ariel
06-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Blair going 37 and Thabeet going 2 shows that the NBA height fetish is alive and well, despite all evidence to the contrary as to the value of height versus actual ability to play the game. Blair is a fucking monster on the glass. Malik Rose on roids. This is going to be fun.
I wish that were the case, but from what I´ve been reading I´m afraid it had more to do with his knees than it did with his lack of height. It would still be a worthwhile gamble for such a low pick, but even so it would really suck to get all excited only to find those concerns justified.

Bruno
06-26-2009, 03:08 AM
It was said to be a weak draft and Spurs had only late picks but it looks like Spurs have done a great job.
After the Jefferson trade, the dream offseason continues.

JUUOT
06-26-2009, 03:14 AM
It was said to be a weak draft and Spurs had only late picks but it looks like Spurs have done a great job.
After the Jefferson trade, the dream offseason continues.

the stars must be aligned. RJ was due to agressiveness from the FO, but this is just plain luck.

I don't know what could top this up next. will the FO keep the momentum july 1 or will it quiet down.

I wonder how much having Blair change the plans for free agency. The chances are pretty good one of Blair or Ian steps up as a third big and bonner is really fine as a fourth big. Can anyone step up and start next to TIM or are they bringing a FA PF

angelbelow
06-26-2009, 03:22 AM
awesome day

Austin_Toros
06-26-2009, 03:37 AM
I don't think anybody has seen enough (especially without a first round pick) to say this is a "darn good draft"

crc21209
06-26-2009, 03:39 AM
Damn good draft indeed. I can not believe Blair fell right into our lap. First Jefferson, now this! WOW. Just WOW. We got some youngs coming into camp this year...Mahinmi, Hill, Hairston, Gist possibly, Mclinton. :tu. Hell yeah!

Texas_Ranger
06-26-2009, 03:44 AM

This guys just don't die.

crc21209
06-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Can you imagine a depth chart of:

Guards: TP, Manu, Hill, Mason, Mclinton
S. Forwards: Jefferson, Bowen or Fin or Gist
Power Forwards: TD, Blair, Bonner
Centers: Mahinmi, Sheed

:tu

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 03:58 AM
I don't think anybody has seen enough (especially without a first round pick) to say this is a "darn good draft"

I've seen enough to say this was a great draft. Whether or not the three players ever make an NBA roster is irrelevant. They got two players they really wanted and one who they never dreamed they would have had a chance to get without trading up. Based upon what we know now, it was hugely successful.

Dingle Barry
06-26-2009, 04:12 AM
What I love about this draft is that all three guys have at least one thing they do exceptionally well.

I'd rather have a 6'1" guard with proven NBA range than some scrub like Marcus Williams who just looked the part in college.

scottspurs
06-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Here is chad ford's analysis: He gave the Spurs the only A+.

link http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-090626

SAN ANTONIO SPURS GRADE: A+
Round 1: None

Round 2: DeJuan Blair (37, obtained via Warriors and Suns), Jack McClinton (51, via Hornets and Raptors), Nando De Colo (53, via Rockets)

Analysis: The Spurs always seem to find a way to make a little into a lot. With no first-round picks they were still able to come away with some terrific players.

Blair, if his knees stay sturdy, is the steal of the draft. McClinton is a clone of Eddie House. And De Colo really impressed me with his point guard skills at the Eurocamp.

I think Blair can come in and help immediately on the boards and McClinton can be a nice scorer coming off the bench. Factor in the addition of Richard Jefferson on Tuesday, and the Spurs have had one heck of a week.

I truly believe the FO has done and will do their part. I believe it is up to the players and Pop as to what happens now. I think we as fans of the spurs should do our part by supporting the team as best we can. Buy season tickets, go to more games or whatever it takes. We really need to rally together and fill the At&t center up next year and be loud and proud. Some say our window is 1 maybe 2 years but I believe (starting with the foundation Tim Duncan) that we have 4 years left in the Duncan Era. I believe titles can be won in each of the next 4 seasons because the FO has instilled in me the belief that they will do whatever it takes to win now until Duncan says goodbye. I believe this offseason is the beginning of an incredible run and we should return the favor by giving back to the organization and the city in whatever way we can.

DO Work San Antonio GO SPURS GO

spurspokesman
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
This morning, Blair was listed on draft express as the 11th best prospect in the entire draft, and the Spurs got him at 37! Without question, the Spurs got the steal of the draft. Strange that a great Pittsburgh team got so little respect in the draft!

Yeah man. I'm not liking the big east disrespect.