PDA

View Full Version : Word from the Spurs . . .

timvp
06-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Very surprised Blair fell to 37. Had McClinton and De Colo in mind for the 37th pick.

:smokin :smokin

Brazil
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
:toast

TimDunkem
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Is it true? Blair's ligaments in his knees couldn't be seen on an MRI?

Dex
06-25-2009, 11:22 PM
:elephant

kbrury
it sure didn't stop him in college

Libri
We all were surprised! :lol

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:23 PM
Very surprised Blair fell to 37. Had McClinton and De Colo in mind for the 37th pick.

:smokin :smokin

From Pop's lips to timvp's ears.

Cite the source or stick a sock in it.

Anyone with a passing curiosity of the draft knows Blair slipped.

P.S.

How's it going, man? :)

DPG21920
Does this mean they did not have Blair on their radar?

Mugen
Breaking News: Dejuan Blair has just signed with Tau Ceramica for 2 years.

timvp
Cite the source or stick a sock in it.The Spurs.

P.S.

How's it going, man? :)
Good.

You?

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:24 PM
The Spurs would have had to work pretty hard to screw this one up. They've never had this many choices fall to them before.

Chomag
06-25-2009, 11:24 PM
So Spurs FO got exactly all the players they wanted plus the surprise of Blair. This draft was all win!

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Does this mean they did not have Blair on their radar?

Most of the mock drafts had Young and Blair going in the 15-20 range. Who'd have imagined both of them would have fallen so far?

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure Pop and the fellas are in any condition to comment.:drunk

KenGee21
06-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Good draft overall, i watched a lot of Hurricanes games last year, and McClinton can straight out ball, man...He's a bit undersized and is more of a SG, but he's an explosive scorer. I wish him the best in SL next month...

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Most of the mock drafts had Young and Blair going in the 15-20 range. Who'd have imagined both of them would have fallen so far?

Well by the sounds of it, the Spurs had De Colo and McC on their boards and were going to pick them.

I wonder if the Spurs had plans to trade up for Blair or if they were just not going to do anything (they did not value him enough to trade for him, so they just had him off the board) and when he landed, great.

Russ
06-25-2009, 11:33 PM
It will be interesting to see how this completely unexpected aquisition influences the Spurs' plans. They may have to rethink things (in a good way).

Ghost Writer
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
The Spurs.

Good.

You?

"The Spurs."

Fair enough.

"The Spurs" told me that they appreciated my patience and dedicate the summer of 2009 to me.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Well by the sounds of it, the Spurs had De Colo and McC on their boards and were going to pick them.

I wonder if the Spurs had plans to trade up for Blair or if they were just not going to do anything (they did not value him enough to trade for him, so they just had him off the board) and when he landed, great.

There was a lot of talk about trading up, but the top seven guys on the Spurs' board, plus a couple they never dreamed they'd have a shot at were still available at 36. There was literally no reason to trade up. I don't see anyone that went before that point that the Spurs would have been willing to give something up to get. They ended up getting the two guys they thought they'd have to choose between PLUS a guy with lottery-pick talent at a no-risk position.

EricB
06-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Sign Blair and McClinton, let De Colo stay in Europe for a year, bring over Gist, sign a big, sign Hairston, call it an aoffseason.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Sign Blair and McClinton, let De Colo stay in Europe for a year, bring over Gist, sign a big, sign Hairston, call it an aoffseason.

Without doing the math, there's probably going to be a roster spot for De Colo. I'd rather have him available to run the point.

EricB
06-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Without doing the math, there's probably going to be a roster spot for De Colo. I'd rather have him available to run the point.

I thought De Colo was a shooting guard?

EricB
06-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I would be shocked to see the Spurs go without a veteran third point guard.

Having Hill, then McClinton then De Colo? Highly doubtful that they go with that much youth.

honestfool84
06-25-2009, 11:46 PM
de colo over hill?

idk, but i really, really, really thought george did a great job in the playoffs, and i think he can only improve.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:46 PM
There was a lot of talk about trading up, but the top seven guys on the Spurs' board, plus a couple they never dreamed they'd have a shot at were still available at 36. There was literally no reason to trade up. I don't see anyone that went before that point that the Spurs would have been willing to give something up to get. They ended up getting the two guys they thought they'd have to choose between PLUS a guy with lottery-pick talent at a no-risk position.

No I agree with that. I was just wondering if Blair was one of their main targets one way or the other going into the night.

I understand what happened and why they did what they did. Great job by the FO.

Chomag
06-25-2009, 11:47 PM

X1 This I like!

Texas_Ranger
06-25-2009, 11:48 PM
:lol...Weren't we the oldest team last year... Right now only Tim and Manu are over 30... And Finley, but I gues he's going somewhere else.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I thought De Colo was a shooting guard?

He is, but Bilas said that he ran more point for Cholet than Beaubois did. He and Hill could be a perfect second team backcourt.

jj cain
06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Manu can & probably will be the PG for 10 min's or so a game as in the past, so a vet PG isn't that critical. Hill will be fine w/Manu & Mason if it gets desperate.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
It will be interesting to see how this completely unexpected aquisition influences the Spurs' plans. They may have to rethink things (in a good way).

I don't see how it would change anything. Still need to go get one of Wallace, Dice, Gortat, etc. to start next to Tim.

Blair gives you an energy/offensive glass guy off the bench that can also score on the low block against bigger guys (he worked Thabeet this year in the Big East when they played).

I'd say tonight's acquisitions make Mason and Bonner more expendable than they already were, if anything.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
No I agree with that. I was just wondering if Blair was one of their main targets one way or the other going into the night.
You mean to trade up to? I don't know about that. They probably never had any illusions they could trade up that high. They'd have been happy to take Blake Griffin if he'd fallen to 37 though, so the pick was a definite no-brainer.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't see how it would change anything. Still need to go get one of Wallace, Dice, Gortat, etc. to start next to Tim.

Blair gives you an energy/offensive glass guy off the bench that can also score on the low block against bigger guys (he worked Thabeet this year in the Big East when they played).

I'd say tonight's acquisitions make Mason and Bonner more expendable than they already were, if anything.

Mase and Bonner for a legit starting big with some shot-blocking ability would be nice. I actually wondered about Bonner for Ilguskas straight-up.

SPURSGOAT
06-25-2009, 11:51 PM

:tu

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:52 PM
You mean to trade up to? I don't know about that. They probably never had any illusions they could trade up that high. They'd have been happy to take Blake Griffin if he'd fallen to 37 though, so the pick was a definite no-brainer.

Yes. I was wondering if they had plans to trade up for Blair (if they actually valued him that much) then saw he was slipping, held off on a trade, gambled and payed off.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 11:52 PM
I could see the Spurs going with a Parker/Hill/McClinton pg rotation.

MLE, Blair, Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
Jefferson, Finley
Mason, Ginobli
Parker, Hill, McClinton

That's assuming no more trades. Finley, Mason, and Bonner being the likely candidates.

That would leave 2 open roster spots. I don't think I forgot anyone?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:53 PM

If anything, Bonner will be where he should be as the 4th or 5th big. I'm not sure the Spurs can move Mason (who exactly will be the 2 if he's gone?), nor why they would necessarily want to. De Colo will probably spend a season in Europe. If McClinton finds a spot in SA, it's as the 3rd string point.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:53 PM
Mase and Bonner for a legit starting big with some shot-blocking ability would be nice. I actually wondered about Bonner for Ilguskas straight-up.

Major step backwards IMO. Big Z is done.

DPG21920
06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
If anything, Bonner will be where he should be as the 4th or 5th big. I'm not sure the Spurs can move Mason (who exactly will be the 2 if he's gone?), nor why they would necessarily want to. De Colo will probably spend a season in Europe. If McClinton finds a spot in SA, it's as the 3rd string point.

Possibly Hill or Finley.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Would you rather Mason or Finley?

Texas_Ranger

Z's goz a big contract there...We would need to trade Manu for him.

loveforthegame
If the Spurs move Mason I can easily see Hill as the starting 2.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:56 PM

MLE, Blair, Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
Jefferson, Finley
Mason, Ginobli
Parker, Hill, McClinton

That's assuming no more trades. Finley, Mason, and Bonner being the likely candidates.

Marcus is currently on the roster. Hairston would be a great fit to bring in, and I say De Colo would be a great final piece to have. Can De Colo and McClinton both play in Austin?

EricB
06-25-2009, 11:57 PM

Agreed, I don't see De Colo being a part of the team till 2010.

DPG21920

No question Mason. I am not pushing a Mason trade, but if something comes up for a legit defensive big and he has to be included, then you have to do it.

I do not just want him gone. In fact I would rather him stay for the reason you mentioned.

Obstructed_View
Z's goz a big contract there...We would need to trade Manu for him.

Yeah, vomit. I'd trade shit to get him, but nothing of any value. He's just going to waste away in Cleveland other than the 20 games that Shaq is hurt.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Do you mean starting or on the team next year?

I don't want Finley starting period but backing up Jefferson for 10-15 minutes wouldn't be a bad option.

I also think Mason would make a more attractive trading piece than Finley but who knows. Personally, I think the Spurs would have a better chance of trading Mason/Bonner than Finley/Bonner.

Obstructed_View
06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure what makes you guys think Hill's going to be the backup point guard. Hill has lots of value to the team, but it's not for his ability to run the offense.

completely deck
06-26-2009, 12:02 AM

MLE, Blair, Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
Jefferson, Finley
Mason, Ginobli
Parker, Hill, McClinton

I doubt Blair would go before Bonner...

objective
06-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Marcus is currently on the roster. Hairston would be a great fit to bring in, and I say De Colo would be a great final piece to have. Can De Colo and McClinton both play in Austin?

I'd love for the Spurs to sign Sanikidze, I like him better than both Marcus Williams and Hairston. However, I just posted some news in the think-tank thread on him about him being pursued by a team in the Italian A League. So he may be left over there longer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Z's got a huge deal. Can't see us doing that.

What if you trade Bonner and Mason for a big, and use the MLE on a 2guard. Say Kyle Korver officially opts out and becomes a FA...

I don't know, just throwing out ideas here...

picnroll
06-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Z sucks.

SequSpur
06-26-2009, 12:09 AM
you guys are gay.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
how many roster spots are currently vacant on the team?

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:17 AM

Nine before the draft, so six free, assuming that Finley is gone. Free agent big, Blair, McClinton, Hairston, De Colo and Gist would round out the team. You could of course leave De Colo in Europe and pick up a vet FA for the minimum.

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:18 AM

Let's see ...

Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi
Jefferson
Mason, Ginobli
Parker, Hill

Finley has his option so that could bump the roster up to 9. Someone said Marcus Williams is signed but hoopshype doesn't have him listed beyond this past year. They've been wrong before though.

Looks like they potentially have 4-6 roster spots open??

Sean Cagney
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
So Spurs FO got exactly all the players they wanted plus the surprise of Blair. This draft was all win!

From getting Jefferson to this draft, I would say so far this summer this has been a HUGE SUCCESS! It takes away most of the sting from that shytty year and first round exit.

We have a future to look forward to again, it's NOT OVER YET! I thought it might be, but damnit it's on again!

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Let's see ...

Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi
Jefferson
Mason, Ginobli
Parker, Hill

Finley has his option so that could bump the roster up to 9. Someone said Marcus Williams is signed but hoopshype doesn't have him listed beyond this past year. They've been wrong before though.

Don't forget Marcus Williams.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Let's see ...

Bonner
Duncan, Mahinmi
Jefferson
Mason, Ginobli
Parker, Hill

Well, you have to assume Blair and McClinton will be on there. So knock that down to 3 (doubt the Spurs will carry any more than the league mandated 13 players).

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Well, you have to assume Blair and McClinton will be on there. So knock that down to 3 (doubt the Spurs will carry any more than the league mandated 13 players).

Oh, absolutely. And gotta figure on a free agent signing too. Unless they accomplish that role with a trade.

I thought he was just wanting to know how many rosters spots we have to fill before the picks and free agents.

Spurs_9_20_21
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
+1 :tu

SenorSpur
06-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Sounds like the Spurs just got their version of Big Baby and Eddie House

JLAZeroSeven
06-26-2009, 01:45 AM
:toast

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2009, 07:23 AM
It was a great draft.

I think Blair is a lock and McClinton will fight in Training Camp

Leave De Colo in Europe next season

urunobili
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM
is Blair > Gist?

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
is Blair > Gist?

Absolutely. But they're different players with different skill sets so IMO there's room for both.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Absolutely. But they're different players with different skill sets so IMO there's room for both.

we are talkin about the legend of james gist here...u know.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
we are talkin about the legend of james gist here...u know.

He's no James White........

Brazil
06-26-2009, 08:38 AM
:lol...Weren't we the oldest team last year... Right now only Tim and Manu are over 30... And Finley, but I gues he's going somewhere else.

Why everybody is forgetting Vaughn ?

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Why everybody is forgetting Vaughn ?

Why should anyone be remembering Vaughn?

waly.mg
06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Breaking News: Dejuan Blair has just signed with Tau Ceramica for 2 years.

Trade Blair for Splitter with the TAU

phxspurfan
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
20 bucks that after seeing RJ come on board and his only starting center comp as a rookie, he begs the Spurs to keep him.

phxspurfan
06-26-2009, 11:54 AM
9WASWhKKQfY

phxspurfan
06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
uTnDkOAuwYs