PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs See Blair As Steal

duncan228
06-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Spurs see Blair as steal (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_take_Pitts_Blair.html)
Jeff McDonald

In a different world, with a different medical sheet, Pittsburgh forward DeJuan Blair might have been a lottery pick.

Blessed with an instinctive rebounding ability but cursed with two surgically repaired knees, Blair instead slipped to the second round of Thursday night’s NBA draft.

The Spurs were waiting. And almost salivating.

When Blair was still on the board at No. 37, the Spurs — after a long wait just to get on the clock — wasted little time in using their first pick of the night to try and fill their most pressing need.

“They were the one team that believed in me,” Blair said by phone late Thursday night. “Since they believed in me, I’m going to give them 1000 percent.”

The Spurs are hopeful that Blair, 6-foot-7 with an ever-running motor, can help provide depth for a frontcourt depleted by this week’s trade for swingman Richard Jefferson.

The Big East Co-Player of the Year as a sophomore last season, Blair averaged 15.3 points and 12.3 rebounds, and led the nation on the offensive glass.

The Spurs did not expect him to still be on the board so late in the draft.

“I don’t think anybody in our group expected that,” general manager R.C. Buford said. “You don’t find a guy like that falling very often.”

The Spurs have an obvious need on the frontcourt after including big men Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto in the trade that brought Jefferson from Milwaukee on Tuesday. Blair said  he believes he can bring some of the toughness and rebounding that Thomas once provided.

Projected as a first-round pick, Blair’s stock fell due to red flags on his medical report. He played two seasons at Pitt on a pair of knees reconstructed in high school after twin ACL injuries.

“There’s no secret there’s a medical issue there,” Buford said. “We were the fortunate recipient of that. We’ve got a great medical staff, and we’ll have him on a great program here.”

Earlier in the day, the Spurs had explored ways to move into the first round, but could not find a deal to their liking. In the end, the Spurs felt lucky to have been forced to stick with their hand.

The Spurs selected University of Miami guard Jack McClinton with the 51st pick.

After selecting Blair, the Spurs used their remaining two picks on guards, selecting Miami gunner Jack McClinton with the 51st pick and using the 53rd pick on Nando De Colo, a 21-year-old from France.

They would have been glad to take either at No. 37, had Blair not fallen into their lap.

McClinton, a 6-foot-1 sharpshooter, set an ACC record by hitting 44 percent of his 3-pointers in three seasons with the Hurricanes. The Spurs were also impressed with McClinton’s defensive abilities, with Buford calling him “the best defender we worked out” during draft preparation.

De Colo, who spent last season playing in the French A-League, is likely to remain overseas for the time being.

McClinton projects as a specialty player, Eddie House with a defensive edge. By phone Thursday night, he said he is looking forward to the challenge of making the Spurs’ roster.

“That’s my plan,” McClinton said. “I’m going to continue to work hard and prove the critics wrong. I belong in that league. Nothing’s going to stop me from getting to where I want to go.”

NBA DRAFT REPORT

FIRST ROUND

Pick, team Player Pos. Ht. Wt. College or country

1. Clippers Blake Griffin PF 6-10 248 Oklahoma
2. Grizzlies Hasheem Thabeet C 7-3 267 Connecticut
3. Thunder James Harden SG 6-5 222 Arizona State
4. Kings Tyreke Evans SG 6-5 220 Memphis
5. Timberwolves Ricky Rubio PG 6-5 180 Spain
6. Timberwolves Jonny Flynn PG 6-1 196 Syracuse
7. Warriors Stephen Curry PG 6-3 181 Davidson
8. Knicks Jordan Hill PF 6-10 232 Arizona
9. Raptors DeMar DeRozan SG 6-6 211 Southern Cal
10. Bucks Brandon Jennings PG 6-2 165 Italy
11. Nets Terrence Williams SG 6-6 213 Louisville
12. Bobcats Gerald Henderson SG 6-5 215 Duke
13. Pacers Tyler Hansbrough PF 6-10 234 North Carolina
14. Suns Earl Clark SF 6-10 226 Louisville
15. Pistons Austin Daye SF 6-11 192 Gonzaga
16. Bulls James Johnson PF 6-8 257 Wake Forest
17. 76ers Jrue Holiday PG 6-4 199 UCLA
18. Timberwolves (a) Ty Lawson PG 6-1 199 North Carolina
19. Hawks Jeff Teague PG 6-2 175 Wake Forest
20. Jazz Eric Maynor PG 6-3 164 Va. Commonwealth
21. Hornets Darren Collison PG 6-2 166 UCLA
22. Trail Blazers Victor Claver SF 6-11 217 Spain
23. Kings Omri Casspi SF 6-9 211 Israel
24. Mavericks (b) B.J. Mullens C 7-1 258 Ohio State
25. Thunder (c) Rodrigue Beaubois PG 6-2 182 France
26. Bulls Taj Gibson PF 6-10 214 Southern Cal
27. Grizzlies DeMarre Carroll PG 6-8 207 Missouri
28. Timberwolves Wayne Ellington SG 6-5 202 North Carolina
29. Lakers (d) Toney Douglas SG 6-2 183 Florida State
30. Cavaliers Christian Eyenga SF 6-6 210 Congo

SECOND ROUND

Pick, team Player Pos. Ht. Wt. College or country

31. Kings (e) Jeff Pendergraph PG 6-10 240 Arizona State
32. Wizards (f) Jermaine Taylor SG 6-5 207 Central Florida
33. Trail Blazers Dante Cunningham PF 6-8 227 Villanova
34. Nuggets (f) Sergio Llull PG 6-3 175 Spain
35. Pistons DaJuan Summers SF 6-9 243 Georgetown
36. Grizzlies Sam Young SF 6-7 223 Pittsburgh
37. SPURS DeJuan Blair PF 6-7 277 Pittsburgh
38. Trail Blazers (g) Jon Brockman PF 6-7 255 Washington
39. Pistons Jonas Jerebko SF 6-9 220 Sweden
40. Bobcats Derrick Brown PF 6-9 225 Xavier (Ohio)
41. Bucks Jodie Meeks SF 6-4 211 Kentucky
42. Lakers (i) Patrick Beverley PG 6-1 172 Ukraine
43. Heat (h) Marcus Thornton SG 6-4 194 LSU
44. Pistons (f) Chase Budinger SG 6-7 206 Arizona
45. Timberwolves Nick Calathes PG 6-5 165 Florida
46. Cavaliers Danny Green SF 6-7 208 North Carolina
47. Timberwolves Henk Norel PF 6-11 211 Netherlands
48. Suns Taylor Griffin SF 6-7 240 Oklahoma
49. Hawks Sergiy Gladyr SF 6-5 190 Ukraine
50. Jazz Goran Suton C 6-10 245 Michigan State
51. SPURS Jack McClinton SG 6-1 185 Miami (Fla.)
52. Pacers A.J. Price PG 6-2 193 Connecticut
53. SPURS Nando De Colo PG 6-5 185 France
54. Bobcats (j) Robert Vaden SG 6-5 205 Ala.-Birmingham
55. Trail Blazers Patrick Mills PG 6-1 175 St. Mary’s (Calif.)
56. Mavericks Ahmad Nivins PF 6-9 242 St. Joseph’s (Pa.)
57. Suns Elmer Preldzic SF 6-9 220 Slovenia
58. Celtics Lester Hudson SG 6-2 190 Tenn.-Martin
59. Lakers Chinemelu Elonu PF 6-10 235 Texas A&M
60. Heat Robert Dozier SF 6-9 215 Memphis

Key: (a) traded to Nuggets for future first-round pick; (b) traded to Thunder for Beaubois; (c) traded to Mavericks for Mullens; (d) traded rights to Knicks; (e) traded to Blazers for Brockman; (f) traded to Rockets for cash; (g) traded to Kings for Pendergraph; (h) traded rights to Hornets; (i) traded to Heat for future second-round pick and cash; (j) traded rights to Thunder

timvp
06-26-2009, 12:09 AM
:elephant

xellos88330
Definitely a steal. The man is a beast and will eat anyone who comes near his rebound!!!

coyotes_geek
Given the picks the Spurs had to work with I don't see how they could have done any better.

timvp
06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
“I don’t think anybody in our group expected that,” general manager R.C. Buford said. “You don’t find a guy like that falling very often.”

They would have been glad to take either at No. 37, had Blair not fallen into their lap.

Maybe GW will believe me now. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129712)

completely deck
06-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Does it sound like Blair might make the last string 4?

timvp
06-26-2009, 12:11 AM
“They were the one team that believed in me,” Blair said by phone late Thursday night. “Since they believed in me, I’m going to give them 1000 percent.”I might have to actually have a sig.

Dave McNulla
06-26-2009, 12:12 AM
dude looks like malik rose to me. short, good jumper, good rebounder. blair should watch some tapes of him before the contract.

peskypesky
06-26-2009, 12:13 AM
A lot of people are saying the Spurs got the steal of the draft. From what I've been reading about Blair tonight, I'm inclined to agree.

Solid D
"Spurs See Blair As Steal"

Ya' think?

:elephant :elephant :elephant

DPG21920
Cue the "I am Blair's cousin" poster....

SouthTexasRancher
A steal for us...excellent job, Pop & R.C.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Definitely a steal. The man is a beast and will eat anyone who comes near his rebound!!!

i hope this guy rebounds like reggie evans in 05....

Nathan Explosion
06-26-2009, 12:15 AM
dude looks like malik rose to me. short, good jumper, good rebounder. blair should watch some tapes of him before the contract.

Yes, he has to learn how to pump fake five times before getting off a contested shot in the lane if he wants to fill Malik's shoes.

I once played as the Knicks on NBA Live and 2k and the first chance I got I gave the ball to Malik. I pumped faked so much I almost had a 3 second violation called on me.

Ah, good times. :downspin:

Nathan Explosion
06-26-2009, 12:16 AM
BTW, before you all get butt hurt about Blair, I wasn't taking a shot at him, just making fun of Malik.

Mugen
show em what they passed on, dejuan!

Buddy Holly
Does it sound like Blair might make the last string 4?

Might make the team???

Last string 4???

Come on man.

Vic Petro
We really could not have asked for much more out of today. We never had a chance at Claver or Casspi, but to get Blair is an absolute steal.

A starting 4 that can defend and stretch the floor for Duncan as well as a shotblocking 5 should round out this team nicely. We have two salary exemptions and Bonner/Finley to get it done.

timvp
06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
The Spurs were also impressed with McClinton’s defensive abilities, with Buford calling him “the best defender we worked out” during draft preparation.

That's a good sign. Quality shooter who impressed defensively?

Not bad for 51.

Ditty
06-26-2009, 12:17 AM
co player of the year!

the spurs had to take him

or it would be like not taking josh howard like the draft acouple year ago

if your co player of the year your damn good

thats all i got to say

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:18 AM

Not bad for 51.

A point guard who can defend and loves to shoot?

Did anyone check pop's pulse?

bigdog
06-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Not bad for 51.

I think it's safe to say that Pop is having a hell of a time right now, wherever he's at.

exstatic
06-26-2009, 12:20 AM

He's a GREAT rebounder. Have you seen his numbers? Rebounding is one of the few skills that directly translates to a higher level of basketball.

As soon as he makes the rotation, his reb/48 numbers will be in the top 10 in the NBA.

EricB
I think it's safe to say that Pop is having a hell of a time right now, wherever he's at.

He might've broke out something that has dust and was made before 1960.

Spurs_9_20_21
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Sean Cagney
06-26-2009, 12:21 AM
WE are back........ Crosses fingers, Spurs are contenders again after this past week.

bigdog
06-26-2009, 12:22 AM

:lol:lol:lol

SouthTexasRancher
06-26-2009, 12:22 AM

Pop is down in his wine cellar with Tony & Eva picking out one of them $2500.00 bottle's of French wine.

bigdog
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Damn, I'm really, really, really liking the idea of McClinton on the team. I think he has a legit shot to make it. Wow, the Spurs might actually have a young team this year.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 12:24 AM
When Blair was still on the board at No. 37, the Spurs — after a long wait just to get on the clock — wasted little time in using their first pick of the night to try and fill their most pressing need.

“They were the one team that believed in me,” Blair said by phone late Thursday night. “Since they believed in me, I’m going to give them 1000 percent.”

McClinton, a 6-foot-1 sharpshooter, set an ACC record by hitting 44 percent of his 3-pointers in three seasons with the Hurricanes. The Spurs were also impressed with McClinton’s defensive abilities, with Buford calling him “the best defender we worked out” during draft preparation.

McClinton projects as a specialty player, Eddie House with a defensive edge. By phone Thursday night, he said he is looking forward to the challenge of making the Spurs’ roster.

“That’s my plan,” McClinton said. “I’m going to continue to work hard and prove the critics wrong. I belong in that league. Nothing’s going to stop me from getting to where I want to go.”

Not only did the Spurs get value, they got players who are going to have a chip on their shoulder.

I'll take talented players with something to prove, and that are determined to succeed, every day of the week.

What a draft...

2 years in a row!:elephant:

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Damn, I'm really, really, really liking the idea of McClinton on the team. I think he has a legit shot to make it. Wow, the Spurs might actually have a young team this year.

Theres a joke there but I'll hold off.

Yeah having a couple young guys that are talented and have chips on their shoulders is a great thing.

SenorSpur
06-26-2009, 12:25 AM
He's a GREAT rebounder. Have you seen his numbers? Rebounding is one of the few skills that directly translates to a higher level of basketball.

As soon as he makes the rotation, his reb/48 numbers will be in the top 10 in the NBA.

FWIW, I read several profiles on this guy. I know he was a big name for a big program. One report referred to him as not only the best offensive rebounder in college basketball last year, he was mentioned as one college basketball's best offensive rebounders over the past 5-8 years.

I admit that I had my heart set on Sam Young. Seeing him go one pick ahead of the Spurs to the fricking Grizzlies pissed me off about as much as seeing Batum go to the Rockets and eventually the Blazers last year. However, I know that the Spurs getting Blair fills an absolute need for a rebounding PF. Simply can't be disappointed with this pick.

phyzik

Fuck Yeah! I never even thought to hope we would get Blair... this is fucking sick! Go out there and prove the doubters wrong Blair!!!

completely deck
Might make the team???

Last string 4???

Come on man.

I just did my research. I should have done that first before I posted that. :shootme

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:27 AM
I might have to actually have a sig.

I told you that quick pick was a statement. Funny how little gestures like that can help secure someone's loyalty.

z0sa
06-26-2009, 12:32 AM
I might have to actually have a sig.

that quote is ridiculous. This kid might be the real deal from what it looks like. Even if he just bullies around in the paint 15 minutes a night, I'm thinking he could have a considerable effect immediately. Even if his offense is nonexistant, his rebounding should definitely translate to the NBA. You don't get 6'6 guys with 7'2 wingspans + that type of body everyday, and he certainly has a nose for the boards. I haven't seen him much, but from the last hour of searching for information and watching highlights, it looks like we wound up with a hell of a steal at the position we need it most.

HarlemHeat37
06-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Wow LOL..I was talking with everybody here during the draft until about the 24th pick, had to go pick up the girlfriend from downtown, was gone for a few hours..my brother texted me and tells me Sam Young went the pick before the Spurs selected, and obviously I was frustrated with that...and then he tells me we got Blair..just shocked..

37th pick?! god damn..

as exstatic said..rebounding is probably the main thing that translates to the NBA game..this guy isn't going to be a star player or anything, he probably won't even be a starter for a long time, if ever..but you can't ask for more from a bench big man..he gives it his all, he's tough as fuck, and he can rebound with anybody..

looks like the team has saved themselves from signing a LLE big or a veteran big to fill out the bench..now the focus completely shifts to the starting big man..

...is it possible to have a better start to the off-season then the Spurs have had so far?..who the fuck would have imagined?..

tomtom
06-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Love his attitude

completely deck
06-26-2009, 12:40 AM
Spurs on Twitter quotes Blair as saying: "I think its the perfect situation for me. All the teams that didnt pick me I'm gonna make you regret it. I'm with the Spurs. I can't wait to get down there to San Antonio."

:hungry:

Bald Ambition
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM

Hey mate, don't talk about Pop's wife like that! :lol (Although as I don't know I hope Pop is married and that his wife is alive and well)

Tully365
06-26-2009, 12:52 AM
All three guys were steals. Before the draft, Draftexpress listed their top 100 prospects:

Blair was #11, and the Spurs got him at #37.
McClinton was # 34, and the Spurs got him at # 51.
De Colo was # 46, and the Spurs got him at #53.

Doctor J
06-26-2009, 01:26 AM
But.... how bad or good are Blair's knees? Anyone knows?

Steve-O-Matic
06-26-2009, 01:38 AM
The real steal is that we got DeJuan Blair, a lottery talent, just for trading down two spots in the middle of the 2nd round last year. Think about that.

Jace
06-26-2009, 01:46 AM

Bad enough that a top 10-15 talent dropped to 37th.. Some articles have quoted GMs as saying the doctors simply wouldn't give them the approval to pick him. Of course the guy could come out and play 15 years with no sign of injury so it's a good pick for a 2nd rounder and you just have to cross your fingers and wish for the best Seems like a great kid and is obviously a great player so I hope injuries don't plague him

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:06 AM

They're enough of a concern that you wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him, but good enough that you'd risk a mid second round pick to get lottery talent. There's no point even thinking about it until he goes down with an injury, and he's not more or less likely to do so than anyone else.

Chomag
06-26-2009, 02:15 AM
They're enough of a concern that you wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him, but good enough that you'd risk a mid second round pick to get lottery talent. There's no point even thinking about it until he goes down with an injury, and he's not more or less likely to do so than anyone else.

X1! Exactly, the most healthy player in the draft could go down with an injury just on his next work out. Yes Blair is more of a risk, but getting his talent at the 37th pick is worth that risk. Our FO got the 2 other players that they wanted. So even if Blair doesn't pan out like we hope he will we don't really lose out on anything where as if he does work out we have a lottery talent that fits many of our needs without losing anything. There just is no losing either way.

timvp
06-26-2009, 02:18 AM
I told you that quick pick was a statement. Funny how little gestures like that can help secure someone's loyalty.
Good call. The Spurs couldn't pick him quickly enough. That was like an instapick :lol

timvp
06-26-2009, 02:23 AM

The main concern is probably longevity. Considering most undersized bigs peak early as it is ... then factor in his bad knees ... it's extremely doubtful he'll be in the league when he's 30.

But I don't see a reason why you can't get four or five really good years out of him. He's gotta prove he can handle the size of the NBA but as far as second round picks go, he has a good chance to succeed.

Summer league will tell some of the story. If he can continue rebounding really well, that's a good sign.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:26 AM
If he can be a quality role player for the Spurs as a big body, energy guy and rebounder until the championship window is shut (Duncan retires) then this is an excellent pick.

Ditty
06-26-2009, 02:26 AM
funny how the spurs had the fastest pick in the na draft when they got this kid

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Bruce Pearl and David Aldridge were practically incredulous that NBA GMs passed on Dejuan.

I think TIMVP might be underselling Dejuan a tick :)

The guy is 20 years old.

You get 8 years out of him and then he's got nothing left?

Think about it. You got 8 years out of a second round talent. If you could be told Your gonna have a solid big man who gets 6 and 6 and a huge energy guy off the bench from the 36th pick? That GM would beg you for his name.

timvp
06-26-2009, 02:28 AM
If he can be a quality role player for the Spurs as a big body, energy guy and rebounder until the championship window is shut (Duncan retires) then this is an excellent pick.
Exactly. I can understand other teams passing on him because he's not really a long-term player. But for the Spurs, it's fine if his body breaks down in four or five years. The run will be over, anyways.

polandprzem
06-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Spurs are on a way to play supersmall ball

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 02:34 AM
I can't remember where I saw or heard it, but does anyone else recall hearing that Blair's ACL's, or lack thereof, was the same thing that Heinz Ward has?

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:35 AM

Not so bad when you have guys who can rebound and defend. Hill, Hairston and Blair are made for smallball.

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Could Blair be,

GASP

the dirk stopper?

I shant give it a thought..

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Not tall or quick enough. The Spurs don't need to stop Dirk, they need to stop all the other assholes who had wide open lanes to the rim (06) or were left wide open at the three point line (09).

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Could Blair be,

GASP

the dirk stopper?

Well, if by stopping you mean injure?

Then, yeah. I guess he could be a Dirk-stopper.:lol

polandprzem
06-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Not so bad when you have guys who can rebound and defend. Hill, Hairston and Blair are made for smallball.

If Blair will be healthy and fill high expectations his value will be great when we speak of our transition offense. In small ball we need somebody on offensive glass and then you've got Tony manu and RJ who can explode the break.

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
Well, if by stopping you mean injure?

Then, yeah. I guess he could be a Dirk-stopper.:lol

If his lateral quickness is decent then his length and mass will really piss him off.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 02:49 AM
One of Blair's negatives is he's pretty foul-prone. You can't argue with the talent or value the Spurs got at 37 but he's not exactly someone from the Spurs' mold.

The Spurs' defense is predicated more about being in the right place at the right time and playing the percentages, which in turn, keeps them amongst the league-leaders in fewest fouls committed. Blair's going to have to keep that weight down and have his focus be a lot better than it's been in the past, because that's what's often lead him to to foul-trouble. (being out of position and reaching.)

The good thing, though?

Being a second-rounder, he has no choice but to bust his ass to stay in shape and maintain the focus needed to play defense in Pop's system.

Mugen
06-26-2009, 02:52 AM
i think his lateral quickness is one of his weaknesses but he definitely has the length and toughness to bother dirk.

i think blair's biggest contributions this year will be on the offensive end, namely his offensive rebounding, which is something this team definitely needs with KT and oberto gone.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:53 AM
If Blair will be healthy and fill high expectations his value will be great when we speak of our transition offense. In small ball we need somebody on offensive glass and then you've got Tony manu and RJ who can explode the break.

You said it. I miss transition offense. Those kind of fast breaks come off turnovers, which requires good defense. Last year's Spurs brought the ball inbounds too often to run with any kind of success.

raspsa
06-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Could Blair be,

GASP

the dirk stopper?

No, that's Ian's job.

crc21209
06-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Blair is a fucking crazy steal for us, I still cant believe it.

sexinthatsx
06-26-2009, 04:26 AM
FWIW, I read several profiles on this guy. I know he was a big name for a big program. One report referred to him as not only the best offensive rebounder in college basketball last year, he was mentioned as one college basketball's best offensive rebounders over the past 5-8 years.

I admit that I had my heart set on Sam Young. Seeing him go one pick ahead of the Spurs to the fricking Grizzlies pissed me off about as much as seeing Batum go to the Rockets and eventually the Blazers last year. However, I know that the Spurs getting Blair fills an absolute need for a rebounding PF. Simply can't be disappointed with this pick.

Wow SenorSpur, I was thinking the SAME EXACT thing during the draft. I was thinking to myself: shit, memphis pulled a portland on our asses. But I have since learned that dejuan blair was nevertheless an awesome steal, and even my friend who was a laker fan watching the draft kept calling out dejuan blair's name to guess the top 10 draft picks. He said that dejuan blair might just be the next coming of charles barkley

rascal
06-26-2009, 04:34 AM

He looks better than Rose.

buttsR4rebounding
06-26-2009, 05:01 AM
When ESPN was wrapping up their Draft Show each analyst was asked who had the best draft and Van Gundy said the Spurs. He said when you combine getting Jefferson w/ drafting Blair the Spurs had the best week.

Harry Callahan
06-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Blair's coach indicated he never missed a practice or game all last year (I know it's college).

If he gets on a good workout routine (which he will as the Spurs will make him do it) and he loses a little more weight, he should be a real part of the rotation.

He put a hurtin' on the guy who went #2 last night in a game last year. The Spurs ought to be pretty happy with this week's developments - it looks good. On to the MLE now.

hater
06-26-2009, 08:38 AM
dude already sounds like a badass and Spurs material

also sounds like Buford came in his pants when he saw him still available

hater
06-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Leave it to the Spurs to take the most productive college player this side of top pick Blake Griffin (and in the second round, no less). With the 37th pick, San Antonio selected Pitt’s DeJuan Blair who was merely the best player in the Big East and who dominated No. 2 overall pick Hasheem Thabeet in their matchups.

Blair’s knees gave teams cause for concern, but he never should have fallen this far.

Two other Big East players–DaJuan Summers from Georgetown (Detroit) and Sam Young from Pitt (Memphis)–went just ahead of Blair. Summers also seems like a steal, while Young is one of the oldest players in the draft.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Leave it to the Spurs to take the most productive college player this side of top pick Blake Griffin (and in the second round, no less). With the 37th pick, San Antonio selected Pitt’s DeJuan Blair who was merely the best player in the Big East and who dominated No. 2 overall pick Hasheem Thabeet in their matchups.

Blair’s knees gave teams cause for concern, but he never should have fallen this far.

Two other Big East players–DaJuan Summers from Georgetown (Detroit) and Sam Young from Pitt (Memphis)–went just ahead of Blair. Summers also seems like a steal, while Young is one of the oldest players in the draft.

Actually, he was more productive than Griffin, if you believe in made up numbers like "PER."

Don't get me wrong, I think such #s are useful. His offensive rebounding rate is off the charts.

Did the Spurs end up with one of the top 2 players in the draft?

:stirpot:

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2009, 08:50 AM

Not really. Blair's wingspan and standing reach are the same as your average 6'10" or 6'11" tall bigman. So while, yes, head to toe he's 6'6", in reality he takes up the same amount of space as someone with the 'correct' height for the position. Oh, and did you notice that he's built like a tank?

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
One more view:

But a bad MRI has been going around, and Blair -- who was considered a potential lottery pick this morning -- fell all the way out of the first round. And he kept falling. Past Portland for a third time, past Washington, past Memphis, past Detroit ... all the way to the Spurs at No. 37. It's the vogue thing to say Blair will now proceed to destroy the NBA. But it's also the accurate thing to say. Blair will now proceed to destroy the NBA

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/06/25/dejuan-blair-amazingly-falls-to-the-spurs-at-no-37/

Spurminator
06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Bill Simmons' take:

DaJuan Blair to the Spurs at 37? How does shit like this happen? You're damned right I just swore. Unbelievable.

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

tlongII
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Great pick for the Spurs. I was shocked that he fell that far.

DBMethos
06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Excellent. EXCELLENT.

Dex
06-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Bill Simmons' take:

DaJuan Blair to the Spurs at 37? How does shit like this happen? You're damned right I just swore. Unbelievable.

http://twitter.com/sportsguy33

:lmao

I'm lovin' it.

MB20
06-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Don´t know him.
Is he a better version of Carl Landry?

Bender
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes, he has to learn how to pump fake five times before getting off a contested shot in the lane if he wants to fill Malik's shoes.
did Malik Rose do that? I thought that was Nazr.

Dex
06-26-2009, 09:25 AM
did Malik Rose do that? I thought that was Nazr.

Both. If Malik and Nazr had a pump-fake competition, I'm pretty sure the universe would collapse upon itself.

If he really wants to become familiar with the wallpaper of the doghouse, he'll master the ol' Rose Jersey Over the Head trick.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
the art of pumpfaking 5 times in 3 secs in the key can be taught....

Bender
06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
he'll master the ol' Rose Jersey Over the Head trick.
:lol I remember that game...

benefactor
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Man...I'm still in a haze about all of this the morning after. Blair at 37...just ridiculous. Nothing could ruin my day today.

superbigtime
06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm fucking giddy. It's my birthday today.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
the art of pumpfaking 5 times in 3 secs in the key can be taught....

But will Blair have the court sense and instincts to know when all 5 defenders have surrounded him so that he can quit pumpfaking and attempt his shot?

pjjrfan
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Not really. Blair's wingspan and standing reach are the same as your average 6'10" or 6'11" tall bigman. So while, yes, head to toe he's 6'6", in reality he takes up the same amount of space as someone with the 'correct' height for the position. Oh, and did you notice that he's built like a tank?
The key phrase being "built like a tank" I haven't seen any thing on Blair except the hilights here and on the draft show, but I don't see his footspeed being a problem and he ran very well for a guy who weighs 260+ and his hops are malik like, but his width and strength seem much better than Maliks and this guy can block shots, I like him. I think that the best thing for him and the Spurs is that as a 2nd roiunder he is not gaurenteed anything except a shot, and if he as talented as he looks he will be strongly motivated to do his best and that spells out as great for the Spurs and bad for the teams that passed on him. At least I hope it works out that way. :lobt2:

Solid D
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM
DeJuan Blair and Jody Meeks - Consensus All-Americans taken in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft

2008-09 Consensus All-American teams

Consensus First Team
Player Position Class Team
DeJuan Blair C/PF Sophomore Pittsburgh
Stephen Curry SG/PG Junior Davidson
Blake Griffin PF Sophomore Oklahoma
Tyler Hansbrough PF Senior North Carolina
James Harden SG Sophomore Arizona State

Consensus Second Team
Sherron Collins PG Junior Kansas
Luke Harangody PF Junior Notre Dame
Ty Lawson PG Junior North Carolina
Jodie Meeks SG Junior Kentucky
Jeff Teague PG Sophomore Wake Forest
Hasheem Thabeet C Junior Connecticut

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 10:05 AM
But will Blair have the court sense and instincts to know when all 5 defenders have surrounded him so that he can quit pumpfaking and attempt his shot?

dude looks like his built like a bulldog, i doubt he cares how many players try to defend him, cause the art of pumpfaking and losing the ball, and jersey over you head givin up 2pts on the other end...is malikstique!!!

Da Spurs
06-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Two comments: The guy has great hands compared to Malik's stone hands. Malik couldn't catch a pass on the run to save his soul.

The Spurs have the best knee doctor in the country in David Schmidt (i.e. Robinson, Duncan, Elliott surgeries) and he'll keep this guy on the court for 15 years!

NickiRasgo
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Will the Spurs keep him along with McClinton?

bigdog
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Will they keep him? Of course. There's NO way in this universe they don't keep him, as for McClinton, it sounds like he has a great shot to make the team.

NickiRasgo
06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
It's a steal. :D

2009 NBA Mock Draft Round 1 http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/nba/teams/1/50x50w/njn.gifNew Jersey Nets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyn)
Round 1
Pick 11 (11)

Positives: Lacks the ideal size you look for in a power forward or center, but has an ideal wingspan (7-feet-3)...Combines power, athleticism, finesse, quickness and personality...Is a physical power forward with outstanding court awareness and passing ability...Uses his long wingspan for rebounding position and to disrupt passing lanes on defense...Is an aggressive rebounder and attacks the glass on offense and defense...Has drawn comparisons to former Pitt star Brian Shorter for his combination of low-post power and finesse moves and former Pitt center Sam Clancy for his ability to play the center position at his height...Despite giving up several inches vs. opposing centers is very physical under the boards and has a strong frame to effectively establish position when working in the post...High-energy type with great leaping ability, as he excels as a rebounder, especially off the offensive glass, and does a great job getting to putbacks...Uses his body well to box out his opponent...Willing to do the dirty work and is an all-out hustler who charges like a runaway train going after loose balls...Better suited for a half-court offense, but has enough foot speed and stamina to get up and down the court...Even though he can act like a bull in a china shop at times, he gives total effort on the court and was the most competitive court leader Pitt has produced since Sam Clancy (1977-81)...Built more in the lines of an offensive lineman, his upper-body strength is evident by his outstanding success competing for boards...Known for his dominance in the paint but he also displays large, soft hands and dishes the ball out of the post...When establishing inside position, no defender can move him out -- he has the anchor and balance to set up screens and is like a walking wall on pick-and-roll plays, doing a nice job of drawing contact on the way to the rim...Very unselfish player, is coachable and has a great understanding for team concept...Has the most NBA-ready body of all frontcourt players in this draft class...Ratio of 18 rebounds per 40 minutes was by far the best of any draft eligible player (also better than any player in the last 10 years)...Greatly improved physique and conditioning prior to his sophomore year and has deceptive quickness that he uses effectively when playing in the post...Can dribble and pass effectively and shows patience and maturity against sagging defenses...When he gets into the passing lanes, he is very effective using his incredible reach to take the shooter off the dribble...With his court vision and strength, even NBA types will have problems trying to double-team him in the post, as he is quite effective using his body to lean into defenders when attempting to create space for his shot...Plays with a low center of gravity but very good agility for his size, making him a likely asset as a screen-setting post player in the NBA...While he might not have great leaping ability, he holds his position well on the block and is strong enough to carry a defender on his back...Lacks a mid-range game, but uses his wide body to draw contact and finish at the basket.

Negatives: Lacks the height or leaping ability scouts look for in a power forward or center, but uses his long wingspan to compensate...Has good quickness, but not enough to play the open court (much better in half-court action)...Must do a better job of timing leaps and not biting on hesitation moves when forced out to defend at the perimeter...Must spend the summer working on refining his developing jump shot...Unable to create his own shot coming off the dribble...Poor-to-marginal free throw shooter and any team that drafts him will need to pair him with a shooting coach to refine his form and technique...Worked hard to reduce his overall body fat percentage, but still could use more conditioning...Has decent quickness, but lacks explosion to create his shot vs. the quicker forwards.

Compares To: CARLOS BOOZER, Utah - In a strong half-court game, Blair will become an instant fan favorite. He is a high-energy type with sensational rebounding skills, especially on the offensive glass. He is a punishing player under the boards and when he gains position in the post, he is too strong to be rooted out. He draws contact and can split double teams but needs to improve as a free throw shooter. He has good hands and uses his wingspan to clog passing lanes. Most of his scoring came on dunks and putbacks and he's unlikely to become an asset on the perimeter. He has the low center of gravity and fleet feet to be a weapon in a pick-and-roll or high-screen offense.

http://nbadraft.rivals.com/bviewplayer.asp?Player=84341&PT=7&PR=2#scouting

Spurtacus
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
DeJuan Blair and Jody Meeks - Consensus All-Americans taken in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft

2008-09 Consensus All-American teams

Consensus First Team
DeJuan Blair C/PF Sophomore Pittsburgh
Stephen Curry SG/PG Junior Davidson
Blake Griffin PF Sophomore Oklahoma
Tyler Hansbrough PF Senior North Carolina
James Harden SG Sophomore Arizona State

Consensus Second Team
Sherron Collins PG Junior Kansas
Luke Harangody PF Junior Notre Dame
Ty Lawson PG Junior North Carolina
Jodie Meeks SG Junior Kentucky
Jeff Teague PG Sophomore Wake Forest
Hasheem Thabeet C Junior Connecticut

Some studs on that first team.

DPG21920
06-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Can someone do me a favor and post the top big men in the league and this draft class wing spans and heights?

GSH
06-26-2009, 02:55 PM
http://media.www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2008/02/28/Sports/Mbb-Local.Aid.Pittsburgh.Native.Dejuan.Blair.Has.Helpe d.The.Panthers.Overcame.A-3239937.shtml
From an article written last year:

"When we recruited him, we told him we really felt he could be the guy that could come in and play right away," Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon said of Blair. "We really felt he was going to get the minutes to put up good numbers. I think seeing how coachable he is, I don't think you know that stuff until you get him on campus and how eager he is to learn. So that was some of the stuff we were unsure of, but it was evident as soon as he got here."

Of course, Blair's raw physical talent and size don't hurt either. At 6-foot-7 and 265 pounds, Blair has muscled his way around taller opponents and used his quick footwork to grab rebounds and put-up high-percentage shots.

"He's suited for the Big East," said Fred Skrocki, Blair's former coach at Schenley High School, less than a mile away from Pitt's campus. "He's a banger; that's one of the things; he always has that continuation on his shot. You could smack him and take pads that the football players use to hit, do stuff like that, and he'll shrug it all off."