View Full Version : Video: RC Buford post draft

El Jefe
06-26-2009, 12:23 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_090625.html

spursdotcom
06-26-2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_090625.html

Thanks beat me to it! Thanks.

We'll have audio from all three picks shortly.

:toast

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:28 AM
RC thinks Hill and McClinton can play together in the backcourt. Did I hear that right?

jcrod
06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
RC thinks Hill and McClinton can play together in the backcourt. Did I hear that right?

Why not, Hill can guard the two.

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Timmy's been pushing them to get some toughness inside that can help on the boards.

I'd say Blair is that man.

xellos88330
06-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Doesnt seem to be working for me. Anyone... HELP!!! LOL!

xellos88330
06-26-2009, 12:31 AM
NM... just needed the refresh button clicked a few times.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 12:32 AM

Yes.

He also says they know De Colo will stay overseas.

Obstructed_View
Is this working for everyone else? I'm getting the page but the video's just a black box.

loveforthegame
Talking about McClinton probably being the best shooter in the country. But it was his defense during the workouts they had with him that really impressed.

Pops having a good night. :lol

El Jefe

He did indeed say that. Was fairly adamant that McClinton was NOT a PG, but was a specialty player who could shoot, defend multiple positions, and play next to either Parker or Hill.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Got it working. Refresh. Thanks, xellos.

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Interesting. He clearly states that McClinton is not a point guard. He can guard both positions but he is not a point guard.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 12:34 AM
He says they don't want to make Jack a PG at all, and that he and George could each guard multiple positions.

EDIT: Well shit

Mugen
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
when asked whether Blair can contribute this year...

RC: "Hell Yeah"

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
He says we're two deep at the 1, 2, 3. I assume he's talking about Finley behind Jefferson.

HarlemHeat37
06-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Is it possible at all to get better value than what we got for #37 and a #50-something pick?!..I know we still have to see if these guys work out for this season, but you can't get potentially better given the circumstances..

robert1886
06-26-2009, 12:37 AM
seems like they were pretty high on McClinton

Borosai
06-26-2009, 12:39 AM
I can refresh those spurs.com pages until my finger falls off... no videos.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 12:39 AM

You did. RC also emphatically stated that McClinton isn't a PG, nor will they try to make him one. So it looks like Hill gets the backup PG job back.

bigdog
06-26-2009, 12:42 AM
Not only did it sound like they plan on making Hill the backup PG, but he sounds like they're giving McClinton a realistic shot to make the team. He actually almost sounded like they expect him on the team.

tomtom
06-26-2009, 12:44 AM
great vid :tu

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
This makes me ill. With Hill as the perceived backup point guard that leaves the door open to try to make Mason or Marcus play some point guard. That fucks up a lot of the good from the draft, especially after finding out that McClinton is absolutely nothing more than an undersized chucker and the one guy who can run the offense is staying in Europe.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 12:45 AM
He says we're two deep at the 1, 2, 3. I assume he's talking about Finley behind Jefferson.

I saw a blurb today where they also expect Gist to be in camp. Manu and Mason have also done some time at the three in our smallball sets.

Libri
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
What I am hearing about McClinton is better than what I thought.

spursdotcom
06-26-2009, 12:51 AM
audio is finished.

http://bit.ly/ikJwY

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 12:51 AM
There's a link for some audio with Blair talking about being drafted. Good stuff.

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:52 AM
This makes me ill. With Hill as the perceived backup point guard that leaves the door open to try to make Mason or Marcus play some point guard. That fucks up a lot of the good from the draft, especially after finding out that McClinton is absolutely nothing more than an undersized chucker and the one guy who can run the offense is staying in Europe.

McClinton sounds like a stud, so I don't feel the same ill wills I guess.

bigdog
06-26-2009, 12:53 AM
I could give a damn if McClinton doesn't run the point. If he can play off of Parker, Hill, and maybe even Ginobili, he could be HUGE for this team. We all know there is going to be open shots with all of the double teaming that could be going on next year. He will get his shots.

z0sa
06-26-2009, 12:58 AM

i don't see anything that you're saying.

Hill as the backup PG = good. If Pop fucks that up, we can't do anything about it. I think it's pretty obvious the reason he did that was because of Manu's injury, anyway, and I was pretty certain he's spoke on Hill being backup PG next season anyway.

I honestly laugh at the idea of Pop letting a deserved 50something pick in the draft get substantial minutes behind Parker, so that's completely out. In fact, I'd much rather Mason at backup PG than that scenario.

McClinton's defense over multiple positions means he's more than chucker, or so the Spurs are saying.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 01:03 AM

So you're ill because Mason or Marcus Williams might get 3rd string PG minutes instead of Jacque Vaughn???

jcrod
06-26-2009, 01:04 AM
McClinton sounds like another quick guard we can throw at Terry and chase around those screens. If he can come out as a specialty player and make the team, you can't ask for more for the 51 pick.

LOL at RC saying Nando got the big ok from the Frenchie Parker.

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 01:04 AM
They sound very impressed with McClinton.

Is it me or does he sound like Mason but with better defense? No idea if he could be as clutch but might make trading Mason easier should they go that route.

Borosai
06-26-2009, 01:05 AM
audio is finished.

http://bit.ly/ikJwY

Thanks for the audio. Something's something. :downspin:

EricB
06-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Shit, the Celtics won a championship with eddie house running at 2 guard.

Why the hell not?

iilluzioN
06-26-2009, 01:15 AM
awsome video

jcrod
06-26-2009, 01:17 AM
On the audio he said the Spurs worked him out twice. Sounds like they've been high on him the whole time.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Jack McClinton is a bad ass

Posted on: March 21, 2008 2:38 pm

I must admit not knowing much about Miami guard Jack McClinton but I do now. He utterly destroyed St. Mary's scoring 38 points. What I like about his game is his ruthlessness. He has no fear or memory which is important for a shooter. There were times he dribbled the ball down court and just popped a three even when he was tightly covered. He's also tireless.
http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/7248782

You've got to love a player that leaves that kind of a first impression.

jcrod
06-26-2009, 01:30 AM
I think they wanted to move up to get him, but what can they give up for a top 15 pick (where they expected him to be). And plus few teams want to help us now that we got RJ for nothing.

I was talking about Mclinton not Blair.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:04 AM
So you're ill because Mason or Marcus Williams might get 3rd string PG minutes instead of Jacque Vaughn???

Can't have a third string PG if you don't have a second string PG. I like Hill as much as anyone, but don't make the mistake of thinking a) he's ever been a point guard, and b) he had any success running the offense last season. The Spurs need a second and third point guard, and they ended up with exactly as many of those post-draft as they had pre-draft.

And yes, as point guards go, Jacque Vaughn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roger Mason. If the Spurs haven't learned that lesson then I suppose they never will.

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:05 AM
b) he had any success running the offense last season

I have to respectfully disagree. He for the most part when given the chance, ran the offense quite well.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:12 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. He for the most part when given the chance, ran the offense quite well.

It's a fair point, because he played great during that stretch at the beginning of the season. Until proven otherwise, I have zero confidence in Pop's ability to trust Hill, and no confidence that Pop won't throw the team back into disarray by trying to make Mason a point guard again.

timvp
06-26-2009, 02:15 AM
Great video and great audio. RC could hardly contain himself. I think it's safe to say that Blair is going to be given a chance. If either Blair or Mahinmi prove themselves and emerge, that should e great news.

And Blair's audio is very good to hear. I remember when Carrawell got drafted after a similar side and he was just depressed and never really bounced back from the disappointment. Blair seems like he's going to just use this as fuel and it sounds like he already has built-in loyalty to the Spurs after everyone else past on him. Can't wait to watch him in summer league.

As for McClinton, he sounds like he's Pop's pick -- which is great news. Pop is usually very good at locating players who can defend and if he says this kid can defend, I believe him.

I also have no problem with a Hill and McClinton backcourt. Hill gets himself in trouble when running the point because the offense tends to stall. But if McClinton is the fearless gunner he's billed as, he could keep the offense in attack-mode.

De Colo might come over and if not, he's a quality draft-and-stash.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Terrell McIntyre I thought might (and maybe even still could) be an option to take Vaughn's place but I'd be fine with Parker, Hill, and McClinton.

The Spurs have 4 playmakers now and an offense that runs through motion and ball movement in the half-court, so if you've got capable ball-handlers that can initiate the offense, the Spurs should be fine.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Great video and great audio. RC could hardly contain himself. I think it's safe to say that Blair is going to be given a chance. If either Blair or Mahinmi prove themselves and emerge, that should e great news.

And Blair's audio is very good to hear. I remember when Carrawell got drafted after a similar side and he was just depressed and never really bounced back from the disappointment. Blair seems like he's going to just use this as fuel and it sounds like he already has built-in loyalty to the Spurs after everyone else past on him. Can't wait to watch him in summer league.

As for McClinton, he sounds like he's Pop's pick -- which is great news. Pop is usually very good at locating players who can defend and if he says this kid can defend, I believe him.

I also have no problem with a Hill and McClinton backcourt. Hill gets himself in trouble when running the point because the offense tends to stall. But if McClinton is the fearless gunner he's billed as, he could keep the offense in attack-mode.

De Colo might come over and if not, he's a quality draft-and-stash.

Thanks again for the recap.:toast

Yeah, I just don't see how Blair being drafted at 37 doesn't completely benefit the Spurs. Not only is it great financially, at least in the short-term, but you get a lottery-talent on a mission to prove he's been wronged.(And with a guy like Blair whose physique and focus have been known to be less than stellar, it keeps a fire under his ass to make sure he stays on top of things.)

McClinton, yeah. He's as fearless as billed.:tu

So, there is a possibility of De Colo coming over? Did R.C. leave any kind of indication?

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:28 AM
So, there is a possibility of De Colo coming over? Did R.C. leave any kind of indication?

RC spoke like it's a foregone conclusion that De Colo's staying in Europe.

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:33 AM
I think after this upcoming season theres no buyout or anything.

Bruno made specifics in the thread, but, supposedly the buyout is at 300 grand so its nothing, BUT, if you have no room on the roster for him and you want him to keep getting playing time, him staying in Cholet for another year works out great and you get him next year strings free.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:36 AM
I betcha the Spurs end up with 14 on the roster and De Colo in Europe instead of Austin.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 02:36 AM
RC spoke like it's a foregone conclusion that De Colo's staying in Europe.

Thanks.:toast

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:38 AM
I betcha the Spurs end up with 14 on the roster and De Colo in Europe instead of Austin.

I'm down with it.

I'd say euro leagues are a better challenge than D-League.

The only benefit would be he would be immersed in system immediately.

Would be cool if he could play a little summer league. Doubtfull though.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Yeah, he's easier to bring in from Austin than the continent. It prevents the Blake Ahearn call-up.

Bruno
06-26-2009, 03:06 AM
AFAIK, De Colo's contract situation is the following:

He has still one year of Contract with Cholet (a french team) with a reasonable buyout ($500K or less).
He has signed a pre-contract with Valencia (a Spanish team). It's a three years contract with NBA buyout options after each year. If Nando hasn't signed with a NBA by July 12th, this pre-contract becomes a contract.

The situation is quite simple :
Either Spurs pays his buyout and gives him a guaranteed contract before the SL or Nando will go in Spain for next year.
If he goes to Spain, he won't play Spurs SL because he will play with French NT.

raspsa
06-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Finally got to see the video.. just log off whatever browser you're on and use Internet Explorer.

spursdotcom
06-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Photos are up for those interested -

http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/090625_draft.html

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Photos are up for those interested -

http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/090625_draft.html

they need bigger face photos imo...nothing like helping the patches for updated player cyberfaces for nbalive games

Spursmania
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow- they think McClinton is the best shooter in the country. Pretty impressive.