PDA

View Full Version : Rockets 2nd Rounders Taylor C. Florida, Budinger Arizona, and Llull Real Madrid

Indazone
06-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Shooters targeted
Rockets use second-round picks to select scorers Taylor, Budinger
By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
June 26, 2009, 12:28AM

Complete Rockets coverage
The Rockets never quite got into the first-round of the NBA Draft on Thursday, but once they began getting picks, they did not stop until they had three selections in the second round.
And they might not be done yet.
The Rockets bought three second-round picks and used them to acquire high-scoring Central Florida guard Jermaine Taylor, Real Madrid point guard prospect Sergio Llull and athletic Arizona wing Chase Budinger.
They went hard after several early first-round picks, and an NBA executive with knowledge of their trade talks said late Thursday that the Rockets are among several teams still trying to acquire Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, one of several point guards selected by the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Rubio was the fifth player taken in the draft, one spot before the Timberwolves took Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn.
For now, however, the Rockets believed they added two players, Taylor and Budinger, with the sort of offensive games they coveted, and a project point guard with potential to grow. According to a person with knowledge of the deals, they spent roughly $6 million to acquire the picks. They will send a conditional second-round pick to Detroit to complete the deal for Budinger.
“We feel the two guys who are going to stay in the US are talented guys who might contribute,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “We feel like Sergio Llull is an extremely talented point guard, a big point guard which are hard to find. We feel like he is a real good bet as a trade asset or to bring over some day.”
Taylor, acquired with the second pick of the second round, using the Washington Wizards’ pick, was one of the most prolific scorers in the draft, averaging 26.2 points as a senior on 48 percent shooting to earn Conference-USA Player of the Year honors.
Taylor, 22, left little doubt about what he considers to be the quality he can bring the Rockets.
“They know I’m a scorer,” Taylor said. “I don’t think they would bring me in to do something else besides (being) a scorer.”
Asked his strengths and weaknesses, Taylor went back to the ability and determination to put the ball in the basket.
“I have a scorer’s mentality,” he said, sticking to the theme. “I have a knack for putting the ball in the hoop. I know how to do that. That’s what I’m good at. That’s what I’ve been doing all my life. I’m not expecting it to change right now. I’m going to keep on doing what I do best.”
Finally, when asked again if there was anything else besides scoring he would bring, Taylor said “My, size, I have all the tools that I need to be a good defensive player.”
With that, he went back to his strength.
“Not only can I score,” Taylor said, “I’m a good shooter.
Morey’s scouting report was no different.
“He’s a scorer,” Morey said. “He’s a guy you can get the ball to, he can beat his man. If he draws defensive attention, he can pass. He’s somebody very hard to guard. He’s somebody, with (Tracy) McGrady a little bit questionable to start the year, that offensive punch Jermaine can bring is a need we had. Plus, we thought he’s one of the best guys available where we got him. For those two reasons, we were pretty aggressive to get him.”
Two picks later, the Rockets acquired the Oklahoma City Thunder pick from the Denver Nuggets to pick up the rights to Llull, a 6-3 point guard with two seasons remaining on his contract with Real Madrid, one of the top European teams.
The Rockets acquired Budinger, who described himself as “a playmaker,” with the 44th pick of the draft, acquired from the Pistons. Budinger, an extremely athletic 6-7 wing, averaged 18 points on 48 percent shooting as a senior, gaining national attention when he was stomped in the face while down on the floor by the University of Houston’s Aubrey Coleman.
"One of the best players on the board, (he is) also one with the skill package that is pretty hard to find,” Morey said. “There weren’t many players in this draft – and we got two of them – who can shoot, pass and get to the basket. Chase is one of the better athletes in the draft. He’s a world class volleyball athlete. We think he can be a pretty good basketball player.”
Llull (pronounced Yull) is certain to remain overseas next season, but the Rockets hope to sign Budinger and Taylor and have spots on next season’s roster.
The Rockets has spent the night chasing players more likely to earn roster and rotations spots. Taylor, however, was thrilled with the way things worked out.
“I’m so excited,” Taylor said. “This is something I‘ve been waiting for since I can remember. Now it’s here. I’m excited. I don’t even know what to think right now.
I’m so excited to be an NBA player, I can’t even think right now.”
[email protected]

Ditty
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
i like llull everyone else sucks sorry indazone

Indazone
06-26-2009, 12:52 AM
I know everyone else sucks but we did ok for having zero draft picks this year.

Ditty
06-26-2009, 12:56 AM
true i saw on clutchfans yall might trade some of them for a possible big trade might help

tomtom
06-26-2009, 01:03 AM

sames, maybe rockets will trade mcgrady?

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-26-2009, 01:34 AM

He is maybe better than Brooks but he still sucks as a point guard. He is another midget shooting guard which is all the Rocket gm selects.

Indazone
06-26-2009, 01:38 AM
He is 6'3" How is that midget size? That's average for most NBA point guards.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/?aid=200810

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-26-2009, 01:55 AM
He is 6'3" How is that midget size? That's average for most NBA point guards.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/International-Blog/?aid=200810

Because he is a shooting guard. Don't know what the fuck the NBA or these draft sites are talking about. He has never in his life played any position but shooting guard. Still he might possibly be better than Brooks is. I'm not sure.

The Franchise
06-26-2009, 02:01 AM

Well we will have to wait and see. Personally I think if Taylor can learn to practice a little restraint he could replace Wafer for a little less money. His defense is already slightly better and from what I've seen of him, his offense is a little more well rounded.

sook
06-26-2009, 02:01 AM
He is maybe better than Brooks but he still sucks as a point guard. He is another midget shooting guard which is all the Rocket gm selects.

KBP PLEASE tell me who that other girl in your sig is , not christina the brunette

Ditty
06-26-2009, 02:05 AM
how much cash did the rockets give away anyways could it affect artest being resigned?

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-26-2009, 02:05 AM
KBP PLEASE tell me who that other girl in your sig is , not christina the brunette

Holly Webber. She is GOOD

sook
06-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Holly Webber. She is GOOD

lol yes SHE IS GOOD :wow:wow

sook
06-26-2009, 02:10 AM
My god perfect in every respect.

http://www.hollywood-celebrity-pictures.com/Celebrities/Holly-Weber/Holly-Weber-6.JPG

Indazone
06-26-2009, 02:15 AM
I had heard that Les paid about 6 million for each pick to the other teams. I don't think that goes against the salary cap.

sook
06-26-2009, 02:17 AM
I had heard that Les paid about 6 million for each pick to the other teams. I don't think that goes against the salary cap.

bullshit

Kai
06-26-2009, 02:19 AM
I read that Les paid 2.5 mil for the highest pick, Indazone. I don't know where you're getting 6 mil from. And I'm pretty sure buying picks has nothing to do with the cap, so it shouldn't affect our ability to re-sign Artest at all, not to mention the fact that we have his Bird Rights.

Indazone
06-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Well I remember reading a six million dollar figure somewhere. It could be six million for all three.

Ditty
06-26-2009, 02:27 AM
then who pays the money? lol

holcs50
06-26-2009, 02:33 AM
who cares spurs had a better draft, ha. Hope spurs can play rox in playoffs next year-we need to restart a rivalry im tired of the shit mavs....lets go spurs and even rox

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-26-2009, 02:44 AM
Well I remember reading a six million dollar figure somewhere. It could be six million for all three.

Yes. There us NBA rule most you can pay for a draft pick is 3 millions. So 6 millions would be for all 3. Probably 2 millions each.

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
who cares spurs had a better draft, ha. Hope spurs can play rox in playoffs next year-we need to restart a rivalry im tired of the shit mavs....lets go spurs and even rox

I am not happy with Spurs draft. A 6-6 280 pound PF with bad knees. De Colo who is not even a Euroleague level player at age 22..........The Rockets draft is much better IMO. Lull alone is far better than those Spurs picks.

Kai
06-26-2009, 03:17 AM
Here's Llull breakin Rubio's ankles:

http://a1.hoopchina.com.cn/attachment/Day_090517/43_251379_65472911922cdb0.gif

Artest93
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM

:lol However, still going into a deep depression: McGrady is still a G'dmn Rocket :depressed

Chieflion
06-26-2009, 07:27 AM

WTF man?

Shank
06-26-2009, 07:29 AM
llulz

Tmac&Luther
06-26-2009, 01:52 PM

LOL, I love how you say these foriegn players are better than Brooks, but their ass either A. aren't in the league.....or B. couldn't hack it in the league and cried their way back home.

robbie380
06-26-2009, 06:16 PM

i llulled when i saw that clip:lol

mogrovejo
06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd be very surprised if Llull ever becomes a legit NBA player. Not out of the realm of possibility, he has some good tools, but the odds are against him, IMO.

blink
06-26-2009, 09:11 PM
yeah, id probably draft him just so the media can post that gif right there to stick it to that douchebag rubio.

Hemotivo
06-26-2009, 10:16 PM
llulz

:lol

Hemotivo
06-26-2009, 10:16 PM
i llulled when i saw that clip:lol

:lmao

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-27-2009, 04:20 AM
LOL, I love how you say these foriegn players are better than Brooks, but their ass either A. aren't in the league.....or B. couldn't hack it in the league and cried their way back home.

Fuck off.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2009, 01:22 PM
llulz

:lmao