PDA

View Full Version : RC Buford to Join Us around 8:30ish

PeterBurns
06-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Barring some flight issues, RC is scheduled to join us live at 8:30.
Ticket 760 or online at ticket760.com

Asking him follow up on RJ trade
Future of Bowen if Waived
Draft Questions

Any thing else peeps?

SpursFan0728
06-26-2009, 07:08 AM
If you could kindly ask about Spitter's situation or what their targets are for the MLE that would be great!!

Dro210
06-26-2009, 07:08 AM
Ask about James Gist... I'm pretty sure he's in town, think I saw him at the gym tonight, hopefully he's joining the squad this year.

stxspurs
06-26-2009, 07:23 AM
ofcourse the center issue....when is wallace gonna be here?
might they go deeper in lux tax to get someone else
boxers or briefs
that covers it!

WildcardManu
06-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Sheeeeed!!

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Ask them if it would be ideal to fill in their starting center/ power forward spot with a veteran proven type player or if they continue in their youth movement and target a young buck to fill that spot.

And Varejao would be nice Andy and PB, he's the Bruce Bowen of big men, would be our defensive ace at the 5/4 spot. Love the intangibles he brings to the table. Contests shots, high basketball IQ, solid rebounder. Lacks the offensive skill set of most big men in the FA crop, even though he can finish well around the basket. Would love to offer the MLE for him. Have a feeling though Dan Gilbert's wallet won't allow Varejao leave for the MLE ( meaning they would counter that offer by a million or two to keep him). Therefore I highly doubt Varejao would be a realistic possibility.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Bonner + Mason+ Marcus Williams for Marcus Camby ask R.C how that would sound.

Buddy Holly
06-26-2009, 07:55 AM
1. Sheed/McDyess
2. Gist
3. Splitter

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
1. Sheed/McDyess
2. Gist
3. Splitter

I think there order would be: To fill in the center/ power forward position

1. Sheed
2. Trade for Camby
3. McDyess
4. Varejao ...even though since he started at power forward for cleveland and we can only offer him the MLE. More than likely Dan Gilbert would counter that for a little bit more to keep his starting power forward.
5. Zaza Pachulia
6. Hakim Warrick

I would include Bass to that PB, but Cuban has made it known he's going to spend this off-season and Bass for the MLE would only make Cuban dig in his pocket a little deeper to keep him. Plus we need more length inside to go up against the Lakers.

phyzik
06-26-2009, 08:00 AM
stream isnt working for me

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 08:06 AM
how come they dont have his interviews and nba draftnight on fkn youtube, this fukn sucks

MoSpur
06-26-2009, 08:16 AM
You have to ask him about Splitter and Gist.

I thinnk you would be wasting your time in asking him about Bowen coming back because he really can't comment on Bowen's status because he hasn't been waived yet.

stxspurs
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
whzts up with gooden.....dont give him mle

Summers
06-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Ugh, I hate your "thanks for listening" note. :lol

Summers
06-26-2009, 08:39 AM
You had to go with "homecoming queen"? :lol

spursbird
06-26-2009, 08:41 AM
Ask him about the start C and the backup SF.

MoSpur
06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
I knew he wouldn't answer regarding Bowen because he is part of the Bucks.

superbigtime
06-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Ask if we are going to try to sign a center in his 20s like Pachulia or Gortat and not oft injured oldie Camby or headcase Rasheed. Is signing Gooden a priority or a late option?

Is Gist coming?

Splitter.

Rover82
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Can someone provide a summary / tidbits?

stxspurs
06-26-2009, 08:54 AM
nothing was said

urunobili
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Will we sign Blair right away?

PeterBurns
06-26-2009, 08:58 AM
RC
Didn't expect any more Trades, Bigs will come from Free Agency
No Comment On Sheed. Didn't want to speculate on Free Agents
Tiago under contract, not coming
Didn't comment as expected Bruce, but essentially said reports that Bruce didn't get along with FO deserves no merit whatsoever.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 08:59 AM
RC
Didn't comment as expected Bruce, but essentially said reports that Bruce didn't get along with FO deserves no merit whatsoever.

Thanks for the recap!

tp2021
06-26-2009, 09:01 AM

He's basically telling us Bruce will be back. With all the talk RC has to do to make it seem like Bruce isn't coming back, the one thing that legitimately makes it seem like he wouldn't, is the statement he just refuted. Bruce will be back.

chreph
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
RC

You forgot to mention that RC said they can see Blair playing 20 minutes a game his rookie season! :king

PeterBurns
06-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Considering I have no sources, a magic 8 ball and Ouija Board together. I would think that Bruce gets waived, Spurs don't sign him immediately, wait it out for a bit, then perhaps lock in him later in the season.

benefactor
06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Considering I have no sources, a magic 8 ball and Ouija Board together. I would think that Bruce gets waived, Spurs don't sign him immediately, wait it out for a bit, then perhaps lock in him later in the season.
I think that is actually a pretty good prediction. Bruce is probably not going to get any offers from other teams. I think we start the season with the young cats and the FO rings Bruce's telephone just before the All-Star break to bring him in for the stretch run.

Pucho!!!
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I think with all the young bigs we got. We're goin to have to bring in a vet big. How can anyone see it bein anyone other than Sheed? Fits in perfectly. Essentially the 3 pt shots from him and bonner will open up the paint to all of those weapons at the our disposal. Wooo Weee I can't wait for next season!

Solid D
06-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I heard the interview in my car this morning. When asked if the Spurs had tried to move up into the first round, RC did say that they had 3 or 4 spots targeted in Round 1, beginning as high as the 16th or 17th pick. The teams were too proud of the picks to pull off any deals that made sense, so the Spurs didn't trade up.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 10:35 AM
RC also said that McClinton was the best shooter in the country and that Nando is going to play in Spain for a good coach this year. Tony Parker gave Nando great reviews. He said he is 6-6 and Tony thought Nando would probably be the starting 2-guard with the French NT. RC feels this kid has a chance to be really good in the future.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh yeah, RC said in regard to Blair's knee concerns. He said it was a risk/reward consideration but "Sean Elliott did not have an ACL in one of his knees" and there were concerns about him too.

ulosturedge
06-26-2009, 10:42 AM
RC isn't going to give anything away lol. You guys just have to be patient and see how things unfold. And maybe afterwords we will find out who they were targeting and why they did the moves they did.

Gino2882
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
The reward far outweighed the risk with Blair at #37. It really did.

coopdogg3
06-26-2009, 10:57 AM
I say bring Bruce as soon as possible. He's gonna be used to mentor the younger players, almost as a player-coach. Might as well get him started on that as early as possible.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
RC also said Splitter is under contract with Tau for another year, so he doesn't expect to see Tiago signing with the Spurs this season.

timvp
06-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Find the interview online: http://ticket760.com/cc-common/podcast.html

Great job, PB :tu

Most shocking statement I heard is that RC basically said that Blair is already penciled in for 20 minutes per game. He also went with the Charles Barkley comparison :wow

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:05 PM
20 mins a game?

Damn wheres that leave Mahinmi and FA big (insert name here)

One wonders if Blair dropping to them makes them alter their FA big outlook now.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 02:07 PM
20 mins a game?

One wonders if Blair dropping to them makes them alter their FA big outlook now.

Maybe they plan on trading another big (Bonner or Ian).

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 02:08 PM
20 mins a game?

make or break season for mahinmi, or he end up a fkn busts, too much dedicated time alway spent on him, time to shift the attention to another player....

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
20 mins a game?

Buford had said in the interview last night or this morning ( can't recall) that getting Blair only makes them more selective on who to go for via Free Agency towards a big. Whatever that may mean.

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I figured so.

I bet its Rasheed or Pachulia.

Yeah I think Blair falling into their laps was not anticipated before the draft therefore the were gonna go balls out attitude for a big.

Bruno
06-26-2009, 02:12 PM
If Duncan plays 32mpg, there is 64 minutes available for other bigmen. it would maybe slightly less if Spurs play some small ball with RJ at the 4. That's a lot of minutes and Spurs can basically give 20mpg to 3 bigmen other than Tim.

Mugen
06-26-2009, 02:12 PM
can you ask R.C. if pimpin is easy?

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I personally would love to see Finley resign, so we can move Bonner in a package for a something valuable at the 5/4 position if we can't get one of our targets via Free Agency.

For some reason I can see Bonner hurting Blair/Mahimni/ and or Gists progression if he does indeed stay.

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah the Finley domino is the next to fall, if he doesn't come back, they need to decide if they want to trade for an expiring contract wing, or just go in house with hairston.

If Finley comes back, then you possibly consider packaging his contract with Bonners, wich would be about 7 8 million I believe.

That might get to the 125% within range for Marcus Camby :spin

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah the Finley domino is the next to fall, if he doesn't come back, they need to decide if they want to trade for an expiring contract wing, or just go in house with hairston.

If Finley comes back, then you possibly consider packaging his contract with Bonners, wich would be about 7 8 million I believe.

That might get to the 125% within range for Marcus Camby :spin

I would love Camby. But I think Mason would be the one included with Bonner for such a deal. With Finley opting to come back, that would make Mason more expendable and he would have more realistic value then Finley would to get Camby to San Antonio. If that happened then we could use some of our MLE to target a wing to come in and compete for the starting 2 spot or back up 2 spot if Manu starts. I.E = Rashad McCants, Dahntay Jones, Matt Barnes, Rodney Carney.

Of course this is if Finley does opt to comeback, and if our target big man for the MLE doesn't pan out.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
imo

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:02 PM
They are set at the wing position.

They just need bigs now.

DPG21920
06-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I thought RC also said there were no more trades and that FA will fill the gaps.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:12 PM
If Finley exercises his option he is getting traded. I hope RC told Finley that, cause I'm sure Pop wouldnt tell him that.

There are plenty of teams that want to get some expiring contracts out there....

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:21 PM
If Finley exercises his option he is getting traded. I hope RC told Finley that, cause I'm sure Pop wouldnt tell him that.

There are plenty of teams that want to get some expiring contracts out there....

Finley doesn't have enough value to bring anything worth considering back to San Antonio. Finley won't get traded. Teams under the cap wouldn't want to take on a Finley contract that doesn't have any value. Even if they just wanted to get rid of a bad contract and wanted Finley for that sole purpose, the Spurs wouldn't make such a trade because that bad contract would consist of a bad player or an average player that wouldn't crack the rotation. So if that were to happen Spurs would just be adding a bad contract with a so-so player. Spurs wouldn't do that. More likely than not, Finley isn't going anywhere.

If Finley does resign, it's a pretty much guarantee he would stay a Spur for the entire year. That and the addition of Jefferson's 33 plus minutes a game ,with Manu and RJ's offensive touches make Mason expendable to be packaged in a trade with Bonner to bring in a Big Man. This is if the Spurs' targets for a big man don't pan out.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I thought RC also said there were no more trades and that FA will fill the gaps.

He didn't say for sure.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Finley doesn't have enough value to bring anything worth considering back to San Antonio. Finley won't get traded. Teams under the cap wouldn't want to take on a Finley contract that doesn't have any value. Even if they just wanted to get rid of a bad contract and wanted Finley for that sole purpose, the Spurs wouldn't make such a trade because that bad contract would consist of a bad player or an average player that wouldn't crack the rotation. More likely than not, Finley isn't going anywhere.

If Finley does resign, it's a pretty much guarantee he would stay a Spur for the entire year. That and the addition of Jefferson's 33 plus minutes a game ,with Manu and RJ's offensive touches make Mason expendable to be packaged in a trade with Bonner to bring in a Big Man. This is if the Spurs' targets for a big man don't pan out.

Ending contract worth 4 million?

It has as much value as Bruce Bowen's did..

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Finley doesn't have enough value to bring anything worth considering back to San Antonio. Finley won't get traded. Teams under the cap wouldn't want to take on a Finley contract that doesn't have any value. Even if they just wanted to get rid of a bad contract and wanted Finley for that sole purpose, the Spurs wouldn't make such a trade because that bad contract would consist of a bad player or an average player that wouldn't crack the rotation. More likely than not, Finley isn't going anywhere.

You dont know how trades work in the NBA much do you? Expiring contracts are like gold, especially with so many teams trying to clear cap space for next summer. How do you think we got Richard Jefferson for basically nothing?

mingus
06-26-2009, 04:27 PM
having hustle guys, or Pit Bulls as Kenny Smith calls them, around Yao worked well for Houston. i think the Spurs should go that route by signing Pachulia or Birdman. a Blair + either Birdman or Pachulia frontline would be pretty badass. having two guys like that would give SA a ton of offensive boards.

ss1986v2
06-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Ending contract worth 4 million?

It has as much value as Bruce Bowen's did..

1. finleys option is only worth 2.5 mil, not 4 mil.
2. even if it was 4 mil, it still wouldnt be as valuable, because bowens deal was 50% unguaranteed.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:29 PM
1. finleys option is only worth 2.5 mil, not 4 mil.
2. even if it was 4 mil, it still wouldnt be as valuable, because bowens deal was 50% unguaranteed.

So you pay Bowen 2 million, or pay Finley 2.5

yeah i can see how Finley's is worthless and Bowen's is way more valuable.

ss1986v2
06-26-2009, 04:31 PM

never said he was worthless, just correcting your factual errors...

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:31 PM
You dont know how trades work in the NBA much do you? Expiring contracts are like gold, especially with so many teams trying to clear cap space for next summer. How do you think we got Richard Jefferson for basically nothing?

Finley doesn't make enough and doesn't have enough value to bring in anything that the Spurs would want.

Where is Bruno when I need him to make you understand. Finley is not going anywhere if he stays here.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
never said he was worthless, just correcting your factual errors...

You said Finley's contract wasn't as valuable.

How is making 2.5 million worse than 2.0?

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:33 PM

You just don't get it. Maybe Bruno can help you understand what I'm trying to say.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Finley doesn't make enough and doesn't have enough value to bring in anything that the Spurs would want.

Where is Bruno when I need him to make you understand. Finley is not going anywhere if he stays here.

:lol @ you trying to correct me.

and ya if he stays here he isnt going anywhere, so thats true. :lol Kinda dumb statement though, I mean I figure a second grader can figure out that one.

ss1986v2
06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
You said Finley's contract wasn't as valuable.

How is making 2.5 million worse than 2.0?

because bowens contract still counts as 4 mil for salary matching purposes. meaning the team that acquires him can send out a player(s) with a higher initial salary figure, then cut him for an even bigger savings.

if your contention is that a 50% unguaranteed deal at 4 mil has the same value as a fully guaranteed contract at 2.5 mil, then there is not point to continue this further.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Besides, since Holt Cat has given Pop and RC the green light to do whatever they feel is necessary to win, we could just waive Finley and eat that 2.5 million anyway, I suppose.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:37 PM
So a team buys out said player for 2 million, and the other player is 2.5.

Neither one is equal in worth of trading for and trading for?

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:39 PM
[/b]

:lol @ you trying to correct me.

and ya if he stays here he isnt going anywhere, so thats true. :lol Kinda dumb statement though, I mean I figure a second grader can figure out that one.

I meant if Finley opted to remain a Spur by July 1st. Finley wouldn't be traded. It just doesn't make any sense. But your brain is too dense to understand that.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
The whole point being that if Finley exercises his option, the Spurs will send him away to somewhere he doesnt want to go.

Point being that I think if you package Bonner and Finley together, you can get Camby. I think the salaries are close enough.

Throw them a draft pick or so and you can possibly make it work, thats the incentive for the Cavs. They have a guy in Blake Griffin now anyway they gotta play.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
I meant if Finley opted to remain a Spur by July 1st. Finley wouldn't be traded. It just doesn't make any sense. But your brain is too dense to understand that.

Who says?

If he opts to stay they can trade him.

Theres nothing written in ink that if he opts to stay that they won't trade him,.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:42 PM
The whole point being that if Finley exercises his option, the Spurs will send him away to somewhere he doesnt want to go.

Point being that I think if you package Bonner and Finley together, you can get Camby. I think the salaries are close enough.

Throw them a draft pick or so and you can possibly make it work, thats the incentive for the Cavs. They have a guy in Blake Griffin now anyway they gotta play.

Griffin, Camby, Kaman, Randolph.

They've gotta trade one or two.

Well said.

EricB
RC Buford on 1250 the zone 1250thezone.com right now

BACK UP POINT GUARD IS NOT A NEED

TimDunkem
Especially since it'll be hard to move bums like Randolph.

ss1986v2
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
quick math:

the max initial salary figure a 4 mil contract could bring back would be one starting at 5.1 mil. with only 50% of the salary guaranteed, that nets a savings of 3.1 mil in the first year.

the max initial salary figure a 2.5 mil contract could bring back would be one starting at 3.2 mil. with a fully guaranteed contract, that nets a savings of 700k in the first year.

again, not saying that finleys contract is worthless. its have just as much value as any other expiring contract. but that still isnt the same value as a partially unguaranteed expiring deal (at least not at the values we are discussing).

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
First point of business is getting a bigman.

Nando De Colo will be with the national team, no summer league.

Bringing him over will all depend on how well he plays in Europe.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Talked to Steve Kerr today and Kerr raved at how great Richard Jefferson is as a person as a player.

One of the trades at the past deadline was Richard Jefferson.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Griffin, Camby, Kaman, Randolph.

They've gotta trade one or two.

Well said.

Finley at 2.5m plus Bonner 3.3m does not make a trade for any of those players work. Not a good point. Spurs will not find a player worthy enough to start at the center position by trading Finley and Bonner ( value wise and salary wise). It would be a sideways move at best if you could find a scenario that made sense salary wise. Maybe they could bring over Brian Cardinal ??:lol

And you can forget trading Finley by himself for anything worthy enough to make the active roster.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:49 PM
At the end of the year, it was obvious significant upgrades were needed and ownership gave them a green light to add whatever to improve the team.

Chris Duel jokingly mentioned he would wash his car and mow his lawn for Rasheed Wallace if he came.

Buford suggested renting a bill board :lol

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Finley at 2.5m plus Bonner 3.3m does not make a trade for any of those players work. Not a good point. Spurs will not find a player worthy enough to start at the center position by trading Finley and Bonner ( value wise and salary wise). It would be a sideways move at best if you could find a scenario that made sense salary wise. Maybe they could bring over Brian Cardinal ??:lol

And you can forget trading Finley by himself for anything worthy enough to make the active roster.

OK GM hero I give up you win.

Christ fucking sakes.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 04:54 PM
OK GM hero I give up you win.

Christ fucking sakes.

That wasn't my intentions but ok.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Who the hell said Finley alone would get something useful?

EricB
06-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I'm a finley fan and even I know him alone gets jack squat.

Package him with Bonner, money and some picks.

That should get a Camby or a camby like player.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I'm a finley fan and even I know him alone gets jack squat.

Package Mason with Bonner+ + Marcus Williams contract.

That should get a Camby or a camby like player.

Fixed.