PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford Gives Spurs Only A+

Buddy Holly
06-26-2009, 07:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-090626

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

GRADE: A+

Round 1: None

Round 2: DeJuan Blair (37, obtained via Warriors and Suns), Jack McClinton (51, via Hornets and Raptors), Nando De Colo (53, via Rockets)

Analysis: The Spurs always seem to find a way to make a little into a lot. With no first-round picks they were still able to come away with some terrific players.

Blair, if his knees stay sturdy, is the steal of the draft. McClinton is a clone of Eddie House. And De Colo really impressed me with his point guard skills at the Eurocamp.

I think Blair can come in and help immediately on the boards and McClinton can be a nice scorer coming off the bench. Factor in the addition of Richard Jefferson on Tuesday, and the Spurs have had one heck of a week.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 07:57 AM
So the Spurs traded the backup PG that the Suns never use, and got back Malik Hairston, DeJuan Blair, and cash? Great trade.

TheProfessor
06-26-2009, 08:37 AM
So the Spurs traded the backup PG that the Suns never use, and got back Malik Hairston, DeJuan Blair, and cash? Great trade.
:lol Well put.

stxspurs
06-26-2009, 08:57 AM
hell yes...he led the nation isn rebounds i believe

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
seems like everywhere is givin us a A+

so what does that mean for the teams with the top3 picks in the draft? arent A+ also?

Dex
06-26-2009, 09:23 AM
So where are all the FO Haters now?

florige
06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-090626

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

GRADE: A+

Round 1: None

Round 2: DeJuan Blair (37, obtained via Warriors and Suns), Jack McClinton (51, via Hornets and Raptors), Nando De Colo (53, via Rockets)

Analysis: The Spurs always seem to find a way to make a little into a lot. With no first-round picks they were still able to come away with some terrific players.

Blair, if his knees stay sturdy, is the steal of the draft. McClinton is a clone of Eddie House. And De Colo really impressed me with his point guard skills at the Eurocamp.

I think Blair can come in and help immediately on the boards and McClinton can be a nice scorer coming off the bench. Factor in the addition of Richard Jefferson on Tuesday, and the Spurs have had one heck of a week.

I am REALLY excited about McClinton coming to us. Especially after watching him destroy destroy my Terps year in and year out. Good pick!

superbigtime
06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
This offseason so far really atones for past FO fuckups. They are sitting pretty right now. Have to see how C situation shakes out.

Bukefal
06-26-2009, 09:29 AM
blair is really a good pick. we are lucky. As for the the other 2, i dont know

KenGee21
06-26-2009, 09:33 AM
"Looks like the Suns are stockpiling on subpar siblings".......Taylor Griffin :lol

Now their saying Kerr plans on shipping Amare and Barbosa to Golden State - "Were not championship contenders" (Quote from Steve Kerr)
Genius...lol

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 09:35 AM

Don't worry. The haters will reappear once the FO is forced to cut loose one or two guys out of the Williams, Hairston, Gist trio because they're out of roster spots.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
If the concern about his knees is overblown, the Spurs just got one of the top players in the draft at #37. McClinton looks like another steal too.

spurspokesman
06-26-2009, 09:47 AM
hell yes...he led the nation isn rebounds i believe
That is correct my friend:hat

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
When you don't have a 1st round pick and you still walk away with the undisputed best rebounder and arguably the best shooter in the draft you have to feel pretty good.

vander
06-26-2009, 09:54 AM

let's see we've had Duncan for 12 years and the FO is only now going out and really trying to add talent and build a championship team

thanks FO :toast

if Boston had gotten TD in that Draft, they'd have at least 7 by now

just sayin

papashango
06-26-2009, 10:36 AM
let's see we've had Duncan for 12 years and the FO is only now going out and really trying to add talent and build a championship team

just sayin

As many f'd up drafts the Celtics have had you're telling me if they had Duncan they'd have 7 championships right now? I guess you're assuming the Lakers would've never gotten Kobe.

Gino2882
06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Why do people think Blair is not an option at Center. He played there in college and dominated the likes of Hasheem Thabeet. His wingspan and strength allow him to guard much bigger players and he rebounds as well as anyone in college.

Blair at the 5 next to Duncan would be excellent IMO.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Why do people think Blair is not an option at Center. He played there in college and dominated the likes of Hasheem Thabeet. His wingspan and strength allow him to guard much bigger players and he rebounds as well as anyone in college.

If Blair plays next to Duncan then Duncan is the center. Of course in San Antonio we pretend that Duncan is always the PF and anyone who plays next to him is magically transformed into a center. But in reality Blair is an NBA 4 and that's all he'll ever be.

vander
06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
As many f'd up drafts the Celtics have had you're telling me if they had Duncan they'd have 7 championships right now? I guess you're assuming the Lakers would've never gotten Kobe.

obviously if they had TD, their subsequent drafts would have been much different

and as for the lakers, they weren't that epic of a team. don't forget just how close the they were to only winning one of those 3 titles, Portland blew that 15 point 4th quarter lead, and it took horry's miracle shot and very shady refereeing for them to get past Sacramento. they weren't really that dominant.

Bigzax
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
i'm no front office hater, but down low, we still have only TD-light, a rookie, a guy with potential that can't stay healthy, and the red rocket.

Thank goodness our team is a little less light in the ass today then they were yesterday, but it's not enough yet.

Another big please. Thanks.

Spurtacus
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Only an A+? Shit, our FO blows donkey dick!

Cry Havoc
06-26-2009, 11:40 AM

Blair is 6'6" and very thin.

As much as you'd like to believe, there is no way he plays 5 against a legit big man in today's NBA. Of course, there aren't many actual post-players left, but even so, he'd get murdered if he has to give up half a foot of height. It's not about his ability, it's the fact that the NBA is simply another level.

However, I could see him being inserted into some small ball lineups at the 5. He gives us some options we didn't have before.

kbrury
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
:lol I don't think you can say blair is very thin man.

Road House Captain
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM

As much as you'd like to believe, there is no way he plays 5 against a legit big man in today's NBA. Of course, there aren't many actual post-players left, but even so, he'd get murdered if he has to give up half a foot of height. It's not about his ability, it's the fact that the NBA is simply another level.

However, I could see him being inserted into some small ball lineups at the 5. He gives us some options we didn't have before.

277 lbs is thin?

kbrury
06-26-2009, 11:44 AM
if 277 lbs is thin im anorexic.

lefty
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
There is a reaon Blair wasn't picked higher : his knees

Otherwise, he wouldn't have worn a Spurs hat yesterday

Cry Havoc
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
277 lbs is thin?

Sorry, I thought I had read his statsheet and it said he was 235. My bad.

I still think he lacks the height to play center, but who knows.

gaKNOW!blee
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM

just sayin

That was just stupid...The Spurs have 4 championships and have put plenty of talent around Duncan. Every FO makes mistakes, but the Spurs have done plenty to win this 4, its not just Duncan.

jjktkk
06-26-2009, 12:04 PM

6'6" 270 pounds is very thin?:rolleyes

robbie380
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM

...and the fact that he is only 6'6 in shoes

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM

True, but those are only good reasons to not take him in the lottery. There's no way he should have fallen out of the 1st round.

Spursfan092120
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
The guy has a small neck...truth is he has a sick wingspan and plays a LOT bigger than he is...if he destroys Hasheem Thabeet on the boards, he'll be fine as a big.

Hooks
06-26-2009, 12:46 PM
According to draftexpress, he's only got 12% body fat at 265lbs, and in the comparisons it says his best case is a Paul Millsap type player and his worst is a Reggie Evans type player, who wouldn't want those types of guys on our team?

1 inch isn't going to make much of a difference (Millsap is only 6'8), and Him being 277 freaken pounds is going to make him hard to post up on. Look at Chuck Hayes, he's 6'6 238 and I'd say he did pretty well in the LA series.

If you've ever played a game of basketball and you've tried posting up against a heavily muscled short guy you know how damn hard it is. It feels like you're going to be flipped over, their center of gravity is really low.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-Millsap-299/

Millsap and him basically have he same sort of body, except Blair is built with way more muscle and was dominating on the boards in college.

urunobili
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Don't worry. The haters will reappear once the FO is forced to cut loose one or two guys out of the Williams, Hairston, Gist trio because they're out of roster spots.

NO one will whine if Williams leave...

Mugen
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
milsap is closer to 6'6" than 6'8".

I think blair has a very good chance to be our paul milsap and that is a damn good find at 37.

even though i think milsap was chosen lower haha

tp2021
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
NO one will whine if Williams leave...

That damn Austin_Toros guy will.

Cry Havoc
06-26-2009, 01:16 PM
According to draftexpress, he's only got 12% body fat at 265lbs, and in the comparisons it says his best case is a Paul Millsap type player and his worst is a Reggie Evans type player, who wouldn't want those types of guys on our team?

1 inch isn't going to make much of a difference (Millsap is only 6'8), and Him being 277 freaken pounds is going to make him hard to post up on. Look at Chuck Hayes, he's 6'6 238 and I'd say he did pretty well in the LA series.

If you've ever played a game of basketball and you've tried posting up against a heavily muscled short guy you know how damn hard it is. It feels like you're going to be flipped over, their center of gravity is really low.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Paul-Millsap-299/

Millsap and him basically have he same sort of body, except Blair is built with way more muscle and was dominating on the boards in college.

Good post.

There's no reason we can't just matchup against whichever team and put him at C if the other team has a shorter C or is playing small ball, and PF if they're going big. There aren't many power forwards in the league who are going to be able to back him down.

ploto
06-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Remember when people wondered why Splitter had fallen and thought the Spurs knew something no one else did to still pick him? Well, he stayed in Europe anyway and the results of that gamble are still left to be seen.

I can not help but wonder what the Spurs were willing to overlook that everyone else saw- and if it was all about his knees. I mean you can use an early second round pick on a guy with bad knees because it is not even guaranteed. Why did they all pass on him- it's not lke he was some unknown guy whose accomplishmnets had been hidden away.

EricB
06-26-2009, 01:30 PM
:lmao

What a shocker, Ploto found something wrong with getting him.

Unfucking real.

The Spurs could've drafted Blake Griffen and Stephan Curry and she would've boasted "Well you know, Curry is just an undersized shooting guard, I don't know WHAT they were thinking there..."

:lmao Pathetic

Galileo
06-26-2009, 01:41 PM
FOX Sports also gave the Spurs the only A+

Draft Grades: Spurs steal the show
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9733458?GT1=39002

San Antonio Spurs

Picks: (37th) DeJuan Blair, (51st) Jack McClinton, (53rd) Nando De Colo

Analysis: How do these guys just fall into the Spurs' lap? Blair is a perfect fit alongside Duncan and could start next season. That alone deserves an A. But then you factor in McClinton, a potential Eddie House clone, and De Colo, a brilliant passer with potential, and you have an A+ draft with no first rounders.

Grade: A+

EricB
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Looks like Fox Sports just copied what Chad Ford said pretty much.

Agloco
06-26-2009, 01:49 PM

:wtf

Agloco
06-26-2009, 01:54 PM

It's standing reach that matters most. He's got a 8' 10.5" standing reach. Compare this to Blake Griffin who only has an 8' 9" standing reach and you can clearly see how much of a freak of nature this guy is. His wingspan is 7'3" and his weight is 265-270 lb. Those two factors are going to get him a lot of boards in this league.

What a steal. What a steal.

nadroj117
06-26-2009, 02:05 PM
If no one noticed, Spurs were the ONLY team that Chad Ford gave an A+ to. Others got A's and A-'s but no other A+. I'm so thrilled, and can't wait for the rest to unfold. Who would have thought going into last night that we would be in this kind of shape, or this happy about 3 2nd round picks?

Ryvin1
06-26-2009, 02:06 PM
According to Draftexpress (Average Wingspan/Reach by Height) compiled stats on draftees over the years (I believe the past 8 yrs) players that have a height of 6' 11" have a wingspan of 7' 1.8" so unless he's plans on blocking with his head he should still be to play like a 4/5, which he did quite well in college I don't think his height is a major issue. He was also the heaviest person in the draft.

wildbill2u
06-26-2009, 02:17 PM
If the concern about his knees is overblown, the Spurs just got one of the top players in the draft at #37. McClinton looks like another steal too.

I'll give you the knees, but what about his 6'6" height? He's gonna play PF and give up many inches to most of the PFs. In fact, I can't think of any PFs who're 6'6". The only one I can think of is Sir Charles, and he was one of a kind and in a different era. These guys are simply getting bigger every year.

I've heard all the talk about wingspan, but I'm not sure he can counter a 6'10 PF (who also has a pretty damn big wingspan) from just jumping over him for easy jump shots.

That's why he dropped so far. Maybe a no-risk pick at 37, but not necessarily a peerless pick.

angelbelow
06-26-2009, 02:32 PM
sweet!!!!!!!!

TampaDude
06-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Uh...thin??? You don't watch much college hoops, do ya? Blair is a BEAST! 23 boards against UConn in the NCAA Tourney...TWENTY THREE FUCKING BOARDS!!! Yeah, he's thin... :lmao

oligarchy
06-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I'll give you the knees, but what about his 6'6" height? He's gonna play PF and give up many inches to most of the PFs. In fact, I can't think of any PFs who're 6'6". The only one I can think of is Sir Charles, and he was one of a kind and in a different era. These guys are simply getting bigger every year.

I've heard all the talk about wingspan, but I'm not sure he can counter a 6'10 PF (who also has a pretty damn big wingspan) from just jumping over him for easy jump shots.

That's why he dropped so far. Maybe a no-risk pick at 37, but not necessarily a peerless pick.

If that 6'10" player has the same vertical and standing reach, how does he just "jump over him for easy jump shots?"

Think.

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2009, 03:54 PM
San Antonio Spurs — DeJuan Blair, Jack McClinton(notes), Nando De Colo(notes)
Two guys (one a lottery-level talent) that can help right away? And a man named "Nando De Colo?" Big, productive night for the Spurs, who didn't even have a first-rounder to work with.

Score: 10
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ranking-the-2009-NBA-Draft;_ylt=AlgndCcf0LGmp5c4nOnhIZi8vLYF?urn=nba,17 3096

texbumTHElife
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
That is correct my friend:hat

No it isn't, he led the nation in offensive rebounds per. Blake Griffin led the nation in rebounding.

manufan10
06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Looks like Fox Sports just copied what Chad Ford said pretty much.

:lol

I noticed the same thing. Almost word for word.

TimDunkem
06-26-2009, 05:32 PM
If that 6'10" player has the same vertical and standing reach, how does he just "jump over him for easy jump shots?"

Think.
With that logic a 6'10 man with a 6'11 reach has more length than a 6,7 man with 8'10 1/2 reach.

howbouthemspurs
06-26-2009, 06:07 PM
freakin awesome!

duncan228
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Some more praise for the Spurs. (Apologies if it's been posted somewhere already, I didn't see it).

Draft grades: Spurs earn top mark by adding Jefferson, smart picks (http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=605)
By Tony Mejia
Pro Basketball News

NBA Draft grades are out, and wily San Antonio once again emerges with the most impressive performance of the process. Entering another odd year, the Spurs restored their championship aspirations by adding Richard Jefferson and drafting brilliantly for instant value.

San Antonio Spurs
It's no fluke that San Antonio always flourishes at this time of year. A winning organization starts at the top, and the Spurs excel at drafts, hitting the jackpot on Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili and always getting the better of trade partners. This year's exploits saw them come up with Richard Jefferson by helping the Bucks gain financial flexibility, dealing three aging veterans and getting younger and more explosive in the process. They might even have a crack at getting Bruce Bowen back. Despite not having a first-round pick, the Spurs cleaned up in getting Top 20-talent DeJuan Blair with the No. 37 pick and guards Jack McClinton and Nando DeColo after 50 selections were already in. Blair is the early favorite to wind up as the steal of the second round, slipping due to concerns over his knees. He'll follow in the tradition of Carl Landry and Paul Millsap and make teams sorry they passed on him. McClinton, a fearless shooter in the mold of Eddie House, could surprise. Grade: A+.

poop
06-26-2009, 07:53 PM
an athletic, super heavyweight post guy who was one of if not the top rebounder in college, at no.37???..well thats EXACTLY what we need...

whats the catch?

duncan228
06-26-2009, 08:57 PM
The praise keeps coming.

Winners in the 2009 NBA Draft (http://www.sportsmemo.com/handicappers/ted/articles/2264/?SESSIDPHP=229b3245cefd6ff4ebe33ecdbf9f1cdd)

San Antonio - The Spurs have routinely found talent deep in the draft. Sure, Tim Duncan was the #1 overall selection in the 1997 draft, but San Antonio has been reloading without the benefit of lottery picks ever since Duncan came onboard. Manu Ginobili was picked at the bottom of the second round; 27 players went higher than Tony Parker back in 2001. In an effort to get back into championship contention while Duncan still has some game, the Spurs picked up swingman Richard Jefferson for pennies on the dollar from Milwaukee prior to the draft. Jefferson is a perfect fit here; a savvy veteran with the ability to get to the basket as well as the ability to shoot from the perimeter. Without a first round pick, the Spurs nabbed the free-falling low post power DeJuan Blair from Pittsburgh, arguably the steal of the draft. Then the Spurs picked up perimeter sharpshooter Jack McClinton from Miami and Parker clone Nando De Colo from France. Put it together and we’re looking at one the most talented trio of second round potential contributors in recent memory.

ezau
06-26-2009, 09:47 PM

Love to see that. Although Pop's never gonna do that against teams like the Lakers

ezau
06-26-2009, 09:49 PM

The dude is 277. Duncan is 260, Howard is 265, Pao is 250. What thin are you talking about?

Kori Ellis
06-26-2009, 09:53 PM
The dude is 277. Duncan is 260, Howard is 265, Pao is 250. What thin are you talking about?

:lol Yeah, he's the opposite of thin. He's been ripped for being fat his whole life. He was 315 pounds and lost 40 pounds to get to his current weight.

Phenomanul
06-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Some more praise for the Spurs. (Apologies if it's been posted somewhere already, I didn't see it).

Draft grades: Spurs earn top mark by adding Jefferson, smart picks (http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=605)
By Tony Mejia
Pro Basketball News

NBA Draft grades are out, and wily San Antonio once again emerges with the most impressive performance of the process. Entering another odd year, the Spurs restored their championship aspirations by adding Richard Jefferson and drafting brilliantly for instant value.

San Antonio Spurs
It's no fluke that San Antonio always flourishes at this time of year. A winning organization starts at the top, and the Spurs excel at drafts, hitting the jackpot on Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili and always getting the better of trade partners. This year's exploits saw them come up with Richard Jefferson by helping the Bucks gain financial flexibility, dealing three aging veterans and getting younger and more explosive in the process. They might even have a crack at getting Bruce Bowen back. Despite not having a first-round pick, the Spurs cleaned up in getting Top 20-talent DeJuan Blair with the No. 37 pick and guards Jack McClinton and Nando DeColo after 50 selections were already in. Blair is the early favorite to wind up as the steal of the second round, slipping due to concerns over his knees. He'll follow in the tradition of Carl Landry and Paul Millsap and make teams sorry they passed on him. McClinton, a fearless shooter in the mold of Eddie House, could surprise. Grade: A+.

:wtf

that's the 2nd article that says we're entering an odd year...

Next year's champion will be crowned as 2010 champs...

Spurs Brazil
06-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Spurs draft review

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/06/26/nba_san_20090626_draft_review.nba/