PDA

View Full Version : Bowen bench

GO SPurs Go
06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
So now that Bowen is probably gone forever, can anyone tell me why he went from about 30+ minutes a game two seasons ago to around 5 minutes/game last season? Did he get into a fight w/someone b/c it seems really odd that he would play consistent minutes for a bunch of seasons and then he would drop off so sharply.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
So now that Bowen is probably gone forever, can anyone tell me why he went from about 30+ minutes a game two seasons ago to around 5 minutes/game last season? Did he get into a fight w/someone b/c it seems really odd that he would play consistent minutes for a bunch of seasons and then he would drop off so sharply.

cause pop gave up on bowens defense for finleys 1 career game every full moon....

CGD
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
A LOT of this had to do with Manu being out of the line up for long stretches at a time. Pop (correctly) felt that Fin gave him a better offensive presence on the floor, or at least was some one the opposition had to honor on the defensive end. I am slightly baffled that some folks continue to question Pop's coaching on this issue. I understand that BB is a popular player, but...

To be sure, if we had a healthy Manu all season long I suspect we would have seen more BB on the floor. Pop was just trying to plug holes the best he could, and Fin (while less than ideal) was the best option we had to pick up the scoring load.

Jose Ole
06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know the terms of Bowen's contract with the Bucks... what are the chances that he'll be waived and able to sign back with SA (its not the first time we've done something like that)? Despite his age, he's still a good guy to bring off the bench as a defensive presence and I'd like to see him end his career as a Spur.

bigdog
06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know the terms of Bowen's contract with the Bucks... what are the chances that he'll be waived and able to sign back with SA (its not the first time we've done something like that)? Despite his age, he's still a good guy to bring off the bench as a defensive presence and I'd like to see him end his career as a Spur.

His contract is only partially guaranteed, and the Bucks are able (and will likely) waive him, to cut some costs. If they do that, then after 30 days, the Spurs would be able to sign him.

rascal
06-26-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't want Bowen Thomas Oberto back and you can add Finley and Bonner to that.
The spurs will be a younger, more athletic, more exciting team this year and those guys don't fit into that plan. Those guys are the old plodders that the spurs had last year. Its time for a new look, a new dynamic, athletic, exciting team .

tmtcsc
06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Bowen didn't get heavy minutes last year because he lost a step on defense. Bowen used to be great at staying with and/or in front of players that he was guarding. He no longer could do that. He was getting whistled for fouls left and right because he was resorting to grabbing and reaching.

Its just the sad truth. He's 37 years old and the last 2 years of his career were not his best. He's always been one of the best conditioned guys in the league but old man time can be cruel. He lost too much lateral quickness (IMO and apparently the Spurs) to be effective. He was good in spots and I felt that he could have played more but the Spurs coaching staff obviously felt different.