PDA

View Full Version : Are Spurs in better position to get A good FA?

spurspokesman
06-26-2009, 10:19 AM
I think with the additions of RJ and the OX that is blair it will be A bit easier to lure A decent big. Blair I honestly believe will be worth his weight in gold. With this being said I'm not A big contract guru like some of you guys and have limited knowledge in that area. But my point is I believe with the RJ move and blair fortune our spurs look contention worthy. Now I believe we have leverage to grab A big and I think with our roster now it would intrigue A RW (Apparently not mcD)or A FA looking to win. Cause despite all the moves teams our making we our clearly with A few exceptions A step or two away from being A force again.

Playoff experience, Big three core, Coaching, depth, character separate us from the other contender in one way or the other.I think it would be silly for any FA to believe SA doesnt give them the best chance at A title or Addtl title. YOUR THOUGHTS SPUR GURUS?

tp2021
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure if Orlando can take on any more big contracts. Right now, I would say SA and Cleveland are the most desirable destinations.

Chieflion
06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure if Orlando can take on any more big contracts. Right now, I would say SA and Cleveland are the most desirable destinations.
Along with Portland. We will see what Pritchard does with Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw whose contracts are both non-guaranteed.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Given the Spurs status as a contender and the number of teams who aren't willing to spend money this offseason a multi-year MLE offer from the Spurs is going to be one of the best free agents situations in the league.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
finley, bonner needs to be traded imo

udoka + gooden sign and trade would also be nice to land someone.....

tp2021
06-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Given the Spurs status as a contender and the number of teams who aren't willing to spend money this offseason a multi-year MLE offer from the Spurs is going to be one of the best free agents situations in the league.

The Spurs, a coveted FA destination?!

GW is jizzing in his pants right now.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Along with Portland. We will see what Pritchard does with Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw whose contracts are both non-guaranteed.

Definitely Portland. Pritchard has stated publicly that they will keep Blake and Outlaw. But after the small moves they made last night, they will have about 10M in cap space. Enough to go after Hedo or to trump someone's MLE target.

They increased their available cap room by about 3M last night by trading Rodriguez and by using their 1st round pick on a player under contract in Europe.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 10:39 AM
finley, bonner needs to be traded imo

udoka + gooden sign and trade would also be nice to land someone.....

Can't use Gooden in a S&T. Spurs would have to use MLE money to sign him. CBA prohibits using MLE signees in a S&T.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Definitely Portland. Pritchard has stated publicly that they will keep Blake and Outlaw. But after the small moves they made last night, they will have about 10M in cap space. Enough to go after Hedo or to trump someone's MLE target.

They increased their available cap room by about 3M last night by trading Rodriguez and by using their 1st round pick on a player under contract in Europe.

Hey Mel,

Don't you think it would make a lot of sense for Portland to trade Outlaw to the Magic in a sign and trade for Hedo? Considering the fact that they are very high on adding Hedo.

coopdogg3
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
We can also offer playing time. Guaranteed (almost) deep run in the playoffs. Being a meaningful contributor on such a team. We don't want a player if that doesn't appeal to them. Not to mention the cold hard cash.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey Mel,

Don't you think it would make a lot of sense for Portland to trade Outlaw to the Magic in a sign and trade for Hedo? Considering the fact that they are very high on adding Hedo.

At first glance, it would seem to make sense for both teams. If Portland signs Hedo as a FA, then Hedo and Roy start on the wings. How do they get enough minutes for Outlaw, Webster, Fernandez, and Batum?

So yeah, if Hedo becomes a Blazer, it appears likely that at least one of the four other players has to be traded at some point before the season starts.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
At first glance, it would seem to make sense for both teams. If Portland signs Hedo as a FA, then Hedo and Roy start on the wings. How do they get enough minutes for Outlaw, Webster, Fernandez, and Batum?

So yeah, if Hedo becomes a Blazer, it appears likely that at least one of the four other players has to be traded at some point before the season starts.

Only reason I'd see that scenario playing out is if Paul Allen all of a sudden wanted to save 4 million to go after Kidd as well. Or if they offered Dallas Outlaw for Kidd in a sign and trade after they signed Hedo.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Only reason I'd see that scenario playing out is if Paul Allen all of a sudden wanted to save 4 million to go after Kidd as well. Or if they offered Dallas Outlaw for Kidd in a sign and trade after they signed Hedo.

Portland has every king of asset that a GM could dream of.

Cap Space

Good, young players on rookie or manageable contracts.

An owner with a fat checkbook.

They even have a 2.9M trade exception to facilitate unbalanced trades.

Portland will certainly make at least one significant move to improve their team this offseason. Conventional wisdom points towards veterans with winning playoff experience like Hedo and Kidd.

Cry Havoc
06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Portland has every king of asset that a GM could dream of.

Cap Space

Good, young players on rookie or manageable contracts.

An owner with a fat checkbook.

They even have a 2.9M trade exception to facilitate unbalanced trades.

Portland will certainly make at least one significant move to improve their team this offseason. Conventional wisdom points towards veterans with winning playoff experience like Hedo and Kidd.

Don't forget, Portland is an attractive city and they have arguably (or perhaps unarguably) the finest facilities available to any team in the NBA.

spurspokesman
06-26-2009, 11:36 AM
We can also offer playing time. Guaranteed (almost) deep run in the playoffs. Being a meaningful contributor on such a team. We don't want a player if that doesn't appeal to them. Not to mention the cold hard cash.

:toast

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Don't forget, Portland is an attractive city and they have arguably (or perhaps unarguably) the finest facilities available to any team in the NBA.

And that.

Now that Portland has a GM smart enough to properly leverage Paul Allen's money, they should be a very good team for a very long time.