PDA

View Full Version : Our depth chart is shaping up quickly

50 cent
06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Based on what RC said, it sounds like Blair and McClinton have a great shot at making this team. If so, that is quickly solidifying this roster. Here's a look:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/McClinton
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Bonner
MLE Big/Blair/Manhimi

Obviously, the PF and Center positions could be interchangeable depending on who we sign for the MLE.

Add in Hairston and maybe somebody like Rasho for the LLE and we are done.

We really need to find a way to ship Bonner and Finley's asses out of here.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Even if we sign Sheed, Bonner wouldn't be bad to have as a 2nd perimeter-shooting big. Options are always a good thing.

Fin should go.

mystargtr34
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
You might be able to throw Gist in their too, for now. I dont think Bonner is going anywhere, simply for the sake of trading him. If the Spurs do get Sheed, i dont think there's a real need for Bonner on the team, so Pop could decide to use that spot for a different specialty - such as extra size, like a Rasho or even Zaza.

The Fin situation is still unclear, im real interested to see what he does - if he does in fact forego his option, i would like to see Hairston signed up again. One, to avoid another team nabbing him, and two because hes obviously shown quite a bit in his first stint.

In the mean time, i think Pop would prefer to keep a shooting big on the roster.

Yogurt210
06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
dont forget about giving udoka the boot!

Yogurt210
06-26-2009, 11:04 AM
and im sorry, manu should start...
that 6th man thing is old now.

Streakyshooter08
If it is true that Gist also plays for the Spurs (see Brunos thread) you can add him to the roster...

Spurtacus
If Finley returns McClinton will be on the Toros. I think Gist and Hairston have a great shot at the 12 man especially if Bowen doesn't come back.

rayray2k8
He's a FA

Steve-O-Matic
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Get Finley outta there.

Yogurt210
06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
fin shud stay...say bye to udoka vaughn and bonner

vander
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
If we get another Big, it's going to be a pretty crowded frontcourt; Mahimni, Blair, and Bonner all need minutes, and if the guy we bring in is better then those 3 (as he should be) Mahimni or Bonner is going to get pushed out come playoff time, so we might as well trade one of them for a future pick or something.
you don't need a 5 man frontcourt rotation in the playoffs, and in the regular season you can give those minutes to unknown quantities like Gist or some other UDFA

SenorSpur
06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Based on what RC said, it sounds like Blair and McClinton have a great shot at making this team. If so, that is quickly solidifying this roster. Here's a look:

Parker/Hill
Mason/Ginobili/McClinton
Jefferson/Finley
Duncan/Bonner
MLE Big/Blair/Manhimi

Obviously, the PF and Center positions could be interchangeable depending on who we sign for the MLE.

Add in Hairston and maybe somebody like Rasho for the LLE and we are done.

We really need to find a way to ship Bonner and Finley's asses out of here.

Not sure why you included Finley in on these roster projections, but unless Finley is stupid enough exercise his option, you're correct - he shouldn't be on the team next year.

With the surprise drafting of Blair, and assuming there's not a better option available in FAm, the Spurs could even resign Gooden, at this point.

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
If Finley is stupid enough to exercise his option?

:lol

He would be dumb to pick up 3 million dollars?

Yeah what an idiot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
If we get another Big, it's going to be a pretty crowded frontcourt; Mahimni, Blair, and Bonner all need minutes, and if the guy we bring in is better then those 3 (as he should be) Mahimni or Bonner is going to get pushed out come playoff time, so we might as well trade one of them for a future pick or something.
you don't need a 5 man frontcourt rotation in the playoffs, and in the regular season you can give those minutes to unknown quantities like Gist or some other UDFA

Bonner doesn't need minutes. He needs to sit at the end of the bench racking up DNP-CDs or get traded. As a situational big he's fine, but the past season showed when it matters the dude's a no show.

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I think you have to include Finley at this point. Unless the Spurs are threatening and flat out telling him not to pick his option up then why wouldn't he? Not just for the money but there are minutes to be had behind Jefferson.

It would then be up to the Spurs to trade him away if they don't want him here.

anakha
06-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Bonner doesn't need minutes. He needs to sit at the end of the bench racking up DNP-CDs or get traded. As a situational big he's fine, but the past season showed when it matters the dude's a no show.

If the FA big that's signed doesn't have a perimeter shot, then Bonner can be kept as a specialty big.

If that big has a perimeter shot (Sheed?), I could actually see the Spurs trading Bonner for financial reasons. He'd pretty much be expendable in this kind of situation.

50 cent
06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I think the Spurs would give Bonner away for a couple of Taco Cabana gift certificates at this point.

If you don't think Finley is going to exercise his option of a free $3M, then you are insane.

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:24 PM
If Mcdeyss resigns, its pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Spurs will go balls out for Rasheed Wallace and more than likely he will sign.

Dex
06-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't mind Finley back in an end-of-the-bench situation. Let him fill the occasioanal spot and mentor the young guns.

Unfortunately, I don't know if he, or Pop, would ever allow that to happen. For some reason, if Finley is going to be on the roster, Pop insists on giving him a much larger load than he can handle. I'd almost rather he be gone just to avoid the chance of that happening again.

SenorSpur
06-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I think you have to include Finley at this point. Unless the Spurs are threatening and flat out telling him not to pick his option up then why wouldn't he? Not just for the money but there are minutes to be had behind Jefferson.

It would then be up to the Spurs to trade him away if they don't want him here.

That's exactly what I mean. Obviously we don't know what the Spurs have told him, but he knows the team is moving in a different direction. He's proven to be an inconsistent starter and has fared even worse during the team he came off the bench. I trust he elects NOT to pick up his option. If he does, I hope the Spurs are able to ship him out.

SenorSpur
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
If Mcdeyss resigns, its pretty much a foregone conclusion that the Spurs will go balls out for Rasheed Wallace and more than likely he will sign.

Now that we have Blair, Sheed wouldn't be a bad option.

Word is Sheed is looking for more than MLE. Good luck with that.

Supergirl
06-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I think Fin retires...

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I think the Spurs know they can't rely on what they have the last year or two. Bringing in Jefferson, the luck of the draft, and the willingness to pay the LT to reload the roster speaks volumes of that.

So I wouldn't worry about Pop going with Finley over Jefferson, Ginobli, or Mason and at heavy minutes at that. I don't even see temptation as a possibility with Jefferson touted as the new guy to guard the other teams best player and Ginobli back to 100% health.

The Spurs are showing a willingness to get some fresh blood in here and to get younger but I'm sure Pop has his limit. Fin as a vet off the bench isn't a bad option.

vander
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM

:rolleyes

Who wasn't a no-show last year other than TP,
Even with Manu we didn't have the talent to match up with the likes of LAL and Denver, yet with Manu out, TD injured and largely ineffective, Pop screwing up both Mason and Hill with his experiments, you put it all on Bonner?
He gave 3 point shooting, Solid D, and stretched the floor, what more do you want from the guy? he's wasn't the problem, and he'll be an even better fit now with RJ here instead of the FrankenSF we had last year that no defense respected. And now with Blair, we finally have a tenacious inside player to provide a huge change of pace to the spot-up shooting our bigs have been previously limited to, this change of pace will be tough on opposing defenses as well.

enough with the Bonner hate, the guy brings positive and needed things to the team and can easily be a vital part of a championship team.

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I think Fin retires...

I think he plays another year or two. At his age he's proven to stay healthy enough even.

While most Spurs fans hate him and want him out of here he could help a contending team off the bench with his 3 point shooting.

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm wondering what a Bonner Finley combo could get in return in a trade.

Should get a decent ending contract player if anything

loveforthegame
06-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Phila, do you have any idea what team the Spurs were looking to trade Finley/37th pick to?

I'm just curious if it was a team under the cap who could absorb Finley's contract or if they were getting a similiar contract in return.

Mugen
06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
im for packaging fin and bonner for a backup 3.

we know portland has a surplus of 3s but im not sure how'd willing they'd be to trade with us.

i actually see bonner and fin helping them out, and i like how outlaw would lookin in a spurs uni.

Brazil
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Vaughn anybody ?

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM

we know portland has a surplus of 3s but im not sure how'd willing they'd be to trade with us.

i actually see bonner and fin helping them out, and i like how outlaw would lookin in a spurs uni.

could probably get us a big in return from a team shredding salary

maybe phoenix would give up almudson....

vander
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM

can't Manu, Hairston, and Gist all play a little backup 3? IMO it's hardly a need, if we went out and got an actual backup 3, he would most likely not make the playoff rotation, so what's the point? let the youngens handle it in the regular season.
if we do get someone like Wallace who renders Bonner almost useless, might as well just trade him for a draft pick and cash, same for Finley if he comes back, or just tell Finley that if he comes back, we'll ship him to canada :lol

Malice
06-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Vaughn anybody ?

For what?

urunobili
06-26-2009, 01:04 PM
You''re disrespecting The Gist by not putting him on that chart :nope

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 01:07 PM

wheres the pic of mahinmi with jesus, cause we have been waitin 1 yr for the gists to remove the jesus masks and reveal to us his the missing 3/4 we all been waiting for

the saviour is here....:lmao:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

DRIVE FOR 5 continues :flag:

50 cent
06-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Sorry, I just don't see Gist working out.

Darkwaters
06-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I actually think we could get good value trading him to a team like Cleveland or Boston.

Finley for Danny Green's rights maybe?

Honestly, the trade I'd like us to pursue is for one of Detroit's excess SF's (they just drafted 4). Chase Budinger was the last one they took and I think he'd be an awesome pickup.

Mugen
06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Honestly, the trade I'd like us to pursue is for one of Detroit's excess SF's (they just drafted 4). Chase Budinger was the last one they took and I think he'd be an awesome pickup.

budinger is going to Houston.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm wondering what a Bonner Finley combo could get in return in a trade.

Should get a decent ending contract player if anything

I don't think Spurs would trade Finley. If Finley opts to stay with the Spurs, more than likely it will stay that way. Although if our big target to play next to Tim doesn't pan out via free agency and if Finley does opt to stay, more than likely Mason and Bonner will be casted out into the trade waters to possibly land our big that way. Then we'd either move Finley to the 2 spot, or if we aren't comfortable with that, we could sign a wing to that could compete with Finley for the starting two spot with some of our MLE. IE McCants, Dahntay Jones, Matt Barnes, Rodney Carney.

Darkwaters
06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
If we don't make any trades heres a good roster we could reasonably get:

George Hill
Jack McClinton

Wings
Manu Ginobili
Richard Jefferson
Roger Mason
Malik Hairston
Jamario Moon

Rasheed Wallace
DeJuan Blair
Matt Bonner
Ian Mahinmi
James Gist
Fabricio Oberto

This plan requires 5 further signings:

1) Malik Hairston - He'll probably spend the entire year in Austin (again) but he should be included on the roster here. If Finley picks up his option then he might bump Hairston. Also, if another player comes into camp (maybe Marcus Williams) and beats him out then this slot can go to them.

2) Jamario Moon - Idealy, we could sign away Moon for just the LLE. I'm not sure this is realistic, but I think he'd be a great pickup as our backup 3. If he can't be had then a trade for a young SF (Budinger maybe?) could fill this hole or even Finley if need be.

3) Rasheed Wallace - Use the MLE (the whole thing if you have to) and get him. He will start next to Duncan. Antonio McDyess or Drew Gooden could also fill this this hole if necessary.

4) James Gist - He needs to be signed and brought on board. He might spend the year in Austin, but get him in the system. Also, Gist might be able to play some time at the 3. But if Hill can steal minutes on the wing then only having 5 players there won't hurt us too bad (we usually only use 4 wings in the rotation anyways). And having 2 injury prone post players (Mahinmi and Blair) plus assuming Duncan will be out several games with a sore knee (not to mention the aging Wallace) it won't hurt to have a spare post or two.

5) Fabricio Oberto - This assumes that the Pistons waive him and we resign him at the minimum. Honestly, I would just as soon take any veteran big that can play, but Oberto gets a slight nod because of his knowledge of the system already. Although, with his heart issues he might not be a worthy consideration anymore.

I'm not an advocate of dumping Bonner just to dump Bonner. It takes time to train a guy in the system and Matt finally understands it. While he wasn't great last year, he did start and get a lot of experience in the system. Plus, overhauling ALL of our bigs sans Duncan is probably not a good practice. Keeping a guy like Bonner (and bringing back a guy like Oberto) will put multiple mentors on the floor and probably help with the fluidity of the post play.

Additionally, I don't like the idea of dumping Mason. Gino will probably miss a fair number of games next season and Mason is a capable backup. Plus, he gives us the option of bring Gino off the bench. I think he stays too.

:flag:

hater
06-26-2009, 01:30 PM
take Bonner out and bring in Gist