PDA

View Full Version : Gist: "I’m going to play for the Spurs this year."

Bruno
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
http://blogs.diamondbackonline.com/sports/2009/06/26/james-gist-update-from-ty-lawsons-nba-draft-party/

James Gist update from Ty Lawson’s NBA Draft party…

June 26th, 2009

…That’s right. We’ve got eyes everywhere. Last night in D.C., Lawson had a draft watch party (I think that’s what you call it) He was one of what seemed like a dozen point guards picked by Minnesota, but was later traded to Denver.

Anyway, former Diamondback staffer Jason Koebler - on very special assignment for his internship with Washingtonian Magazine - was in attendance and generous enough to give us these tidbits about Gist and Steve Francis, who made appearances.

You’ll recall that Gist was selected by the Spurs in last year’s draft before heading to play pro ball in Europe. San Antonio still holds his draft rights.

Clinton, Md., native and hated Tarheel point guard Ty Lawson went No. 18 in Thursday’s NBA draft, and Lawson threw a VIP party at D.C.’s Park on 14th nightclub to celebrate the occasion. His guests included former Terp standouts James Gist and Steve Francis, oh, and I was there too.

Francis flew in from Houston specifically for the event according to Jeff Fried, who represents both Lawson and Francis. Stevie Franchise showed up well after Lawson was selected, and the two posed for some pictures while Francis offered Ty some fashion tips (“You need to buy yourself some Gucci”) and some words of encouragement.

Gist, drafted last year by the San Antonio Spurs No. 57 overall, has played basketball with Lawson since the two were in elementary school. Last year the Terp didn’t make the Spurs roster and played with Pallacanestro Biella in the Italian professional leagues. But Gist said this year he’s determined to have a reunion with his longtime friend.

“Sunday I’m going down to San Antonio to start working out,” he said. “Hopefully I get to play against Ty again. I’m going to play for the Spurs this year.”

Gist said he likes the way the Terps’ program is going, after making the NCAA tournament last season. “I always follow those guys and I always support them. They have something to build off of last year,” he said.

He also took a shot at No. 10 pick Brandon Jennings, who played for Lottomatica Roma after deciding to forego college. “I don’t ever like to say anything bad about anyone and I wish him the best of luck,” Gist said. “But we did beat them in the playoffs last year.” Let’s see if Gist is in the league next year for a rematch.

50 cent
06-26-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't see where he fits.

bigdog
Excellent.

tp2021
I'm so excited about this season. The greedy part of me wants the Spurs to lock up Hairston too. If he does well in SL, he has a shot at the roster too, I would believe.

Texas_Ranger
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Nice:D

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Good for Gist, bad for either Williams or Hairston.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Good for Gist, bad for either Williams or Hairston.

I prefer Hairston

Spurtacus
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Gistamine, the shot blocker

Great news. :tu

GooberNuts
06-26-2009, 10:51 AM

That's what she said.

On another note, I'm excited that Gist is confident. Do you think that he actually heard from the Spur's management that they are going to sign him?

picnroll
06-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Gist, Blair, Mahinmi, Hill, McClinton????. Awful lot of youngs. Doesn't seem likley.

InK
06-26-2009, 10:52 AM
It's good news after good news each day. :downspin:

tp2021
06-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Gistamine, the shot blocker

Great news. :tu

:lol

Creative.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Great find, Bruno! This is excellent news. Gist really does fit a need for a guy who can defend opposing 3s and 4s, run the floor, and bring some much needed athleticism and effort to the bench. Gist should get every opportunity to make the team as a 12th or 13th man, regardless of the addition of Blair and a FA big. Spurs do need another PG to add to the mix.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 11:00 AM
James Gist is probably the only person associated with the Spurs organization who was not thrilled when Blair fell to 37. If the Spurs use the MLE on a NBA proven big, then Gist could wind up as the sixth of six bigs:

TD/MLE Big/Bonner/Blair/Mahinmi/Gist

As the sixth big under contract he would be destined for Austin. If that's the case, would he not be better off staying in Europe?

Under this scenario, he would have to beat out Blair for a spot on the first 12, and force Blair down to Austin. Or Mahinmi could prove to be such a complete bust that the Spurs eat his contract and sign Gist. Or Gist could prove capable of playing at the 3.

Long odds for Gist to overcome.

completely deck
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3039/nervousf.gif

I cannot wait anymore for preseason to start.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2009, 11:05 AM
:tu

Nice. With Hill, Mahinmi and Gist next season, and eventually Splitter, the team is getting younger, athletic, and long.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM
James Gist is probably the only person associated with the Spurs organization who was not thrilled when Blair fell to 37. If the Spurs use the MLE on a NBA proven big, then Gist could wind up as the sixth of six bigs:

As the sixth big under contract he would be destined for Austin. If that's the case, would he not be better off staying in Europe?

Under this scenario, he would have to beat out Blair for a spot on the first 12, and force Blair down to Austin. Or Mahinmi could prove to be such a complete bust that the Spurs eat his contract and sign Gist. Or Gist could prove capable of playing at the 3.

Long odds sure, but Gists 49 % shooting percentage from beyond the arc this past year in the Italian League makes me wonder if that can make Bonner expendable in the Spurs FO's eyes. Since Gist would be a more physical and athletic player in that role. That being said I really wish Bonner can get traded, so Pop doesn't have the opportunity to use the loyalty card that he loves to use to take away minutes from Blair/ Mahimni/ Gist 's progression.

tp2021
06-26-2009, 11:07 AM

In interviews, he has said he can play the 3. Maybe the Spurs see him as a SF off the bench.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Long odds sure, but Gists 49 % shooting percentage from beyond the arc this past year in the Italian League makes me wonder if that can make Bonner expendable in the Spurs FO's eyes. Since he would be a more physical and athletic player in that role. That being said I really wish Bonner can get traded, so Pop doesn't have the opportunity to use the loyalty card he loves to use to take away minutes from Blair.

While I can imagine the new, free-spending Spurs eating Mahinmi's deal, the only way to get Bonner off the roster is in a trade. How about Bonner+Finley for Reggie Evans? Toronto might actually want him.:lol

Of course that wouldn't help Gist. His best chance might be to demonstrate he can guard wing players and to earn a spot as a 3/4.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
While I can imagine the new, free-spending Spurs eating Mahinmi's deal, the only way to get Bonner off the roster is in a trade. How about Bonner+Finley for Reggie Evans? Toronto might actually want him.:lol

Of course that wouldn't help Gist. His best chance might be to demonstrate he can guard wing players and to earn a spot as a 3/4.

lol Toronto would want him. What about Mason + Bonner for Raja Bell and a small contract plug in to make it work like Ajinca maybe? That is if we were to solidify our starting post position next to Duncan with our MLE.

I'd love Raja Bell over Mason btw. For the fact that how tough of a defender he is. So that if his shot is off, he can still be a major factor in the game by the other intangibles he brings on the defensive end. Unlike Mason who brings nothing else to the table whenever his shot is off.

CGD
06-26-2009, 11:28 AM

There is something to his comment actually.

If it can be said that there is a "loser" (however slight) from Blair dropping to us, it's Gist. The jury is still out as to whether he can truly play the 3 at the NBA level. Seems to me he is a natural, yet undersized 4.

As the roster stands, I see the Spurs giving Ian every opportunity to succeed this year. I have a feeling Bonner will stick with the team, and no doubt we'll bring in an MLE big.

I think the pressure is on Gist to show that one year in Europe expanded his potential as a three. He has a good shot if he can be the defensive stopper the Spurs hope for, but if not I wouldn't be surprised if his future is elsewhere.

xtremesteven33
06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Now it seems like we are getting too young...haha

vander
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
lol Toronto would want him. What about Mason + Bonner for Raja Bell and a small contract plug in to make it work like Ajinca maybe? That is if we were to solidify our starting post position next to Duncan with our MLE.

I'd love Raja Bell over Mason btw. For the fact that how tough of a defender he is. So that if his shot is off, he can still be a major factor in the game by the other intangibles he brings on the defensive end. Unlike Mason who brings nothing else to the table whenever his shot is off.

I'd rather Mason than Bell, Bell is already up there in years, Mason is in his prime, and basing your value of Mason on when he is "off" is like basing your value of Manu on when he is injured.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:34 AM
wtf, Gist shot almost 50% from the 3?

He sure did.

Mel_13
06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Now it seems like we are getting too young...haha

Spurs older than Tim Duncan on the end of season roster:

2005---6
2006---7
2007---6
2008---8
2009---5

As of today, Michael Finley is the only Spur under contract older than TD.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd rather Mason than Bell, Bell is already up there in years, Mason is in his prime, and basing your value of Mason on when he is "off" is like basing your value of Manu on when he is injured.

Not really because the only thing Mason brings to the table is his shooting ability, which Raja Bell has. The difference in the two players regardless of what their age is, is that Raja can still have an impact on the game if he's not hitting from the outside. Mason can't do that.

IMO Bell> Mason

Spurtacus
06-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Long odds sure, but Gists 49 % shooting percentage from beyond the arc this past year in the Italian League makes me wonder if that can make Bonner expendable in the Spurs FO's eyes. Since Gist would be a more physical and athletic player in that role. That being said I really wish Bonner can get traded, so Pop doesn't have the opportunity to use the loyalty card that he loves to use to take away minutes from Blair/ Mahimni/ Gist 's progression.

How well could his 3pt ability translate to the NBA level? No doubt he'll get many open looks in the Spurs system.

xtremesteven33
06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
IMO Bell> Mason

I agree. Id rather have Bell over Mason. Mason is a bit of a one trick pony. Bell, though has maybe lost a step, looks to be a streaky shooter and a smart defender. More of a need for the Spurs right now.

anakha
06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Not really because the only thing Mason brings to the table is his shooting ability, which Raja Bell has. The difference in the two players regardless of what their age is, is that Raja can still have an impact on the game if he's not hitting from the outside. Mason can't do that.

IMO Bell> Mason

If you're talking about spot-up shooting, then maybe Mason and Bell are similar.

But pull-up shooting? Mason has Bell beat by a mile.

vander
06-26-2009, 11:42 AM

IMO Bell> Mason

once again you are only focusing on when he's not hitting his shot, as if you expect that to be the norm, he will be a great shooter most of the time, much better then Raja, and his D isn't going to be a whole lot worse than Raja's, Raja was an overrated defender, and isn't even going to be as good as he once was.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I agree. Id rather have Bell over Mason. Mason is a bit of a one trick pony. Bell, though has maybe lost a step, looks to be a streaky shooter and a smart defender. More of a need for the Spurs right now.

Mason and Bell's stats were identical last year. Not to mention both shot 42 percent from three.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/raja_bell/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/roger_mason/index.html

lefty
06-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I hope James didn't eat too much Spaghisti in Italy

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
once again you are only focusing on when he's not hitting his shot, as if you expect that to be the norm, he will be a great shooter most of the time, much better then Raja, and his D isn't going to be a whole lot worse than Raja's, Raja was an overrated defender, and isn't even going to be as good as he once was.

He's not much better than Raja in terms of shooting. They shot the same percentage last year from three. And if you think Mason isn't going to be that much worse than Raja on the defensive end. You need to lay down the crack pipe. Mason is a horrible defender.

spurspokesman
06-26-2009, 11:52 AM
He's not much better than Raja in terms of shooting. They shot the same percentage last year from three. And if you think Mason isn't going to be that much worse than Raja on the defensive end. You need to lay down the crack pipe. Mason is a horrible defender.
I agree that masons d needs work. But he will flatout outshoot raja. If you need A big bucket at any point of the game who will you entrust that duty to. My mothers sofa is on Roger. But if the chips fall and we get raja I wouldnt complain.:king

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
If you're talking about spot-up shooting, then maybe Mason and Bell are similar.

But pull-up shooting? Mason has Bell beat by a mile.

Mason may have a nice one dribble -two dribble pull up whenever the defense goes under on pick and rolls and gives Mason breathing room. That's irrelevant now that we have Manu and R.J on our team. Mason's role will not be to be the creator of the offense by getting the pick and roll called while he's handling the ball. His role will be spot up shooting.

hater
06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
James Gist bitches!!!

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree that masons d needs work. But he will flatout outshoot raja. If you need A big bucket at any point of the game who will you entrust that duty to. My mothers sofa is on Roger.

Like against Dallas ? Whenever the games mattered?

EricB
06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Theres room for gist.

Its a 15 man roster. you have your shooting big in Bonner, your post big in Blair, your energy shot blocking big in Gist, add in 1 veteran big and then Duncan and your good.

DPG21920
06-26-2009, 11:57 AM
RC said there would be no more trades more than likely.

vander
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM

plenty of guys have been "horrible defenders" when they first came to the Spurs, they get whipped into shape. once they start playing with effort and discipline, and know all their rotations, they get a lot better.
Bell shot well as a rhythm shooter, thats a little different then shooting it when you have to in our structured offense. mason's % was more impressive in that respect. mason will be better this coming year, while Raja is on the decline and is more expensive.

if we're to give up Mason and Bonner, our only marksmen left, we'd better get something far better than Raja in return

EricB
Like against Dallas ? Whenever the games mattered?

So now a couple bad game makes a guy?

What big games has Raja Bell had big games in ?

Do you forget how stupid he would play down the stretch in big games with bad fouls bad hots and what not?

Plus he's older, lost a step, and is not as good a shooter.

I don't get the infatuation with getting rid of Roger Mason Jr.

TimDunkem
Theres room for gist.

Its a 15 man roster. you have your shooting big in Bonner, your post big in Blair, your energy shot blocking big in Gist, add in 1 veteran big and then Duncan and your good.

What about The Big Unkown?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Ian_Mahinmi_1_cropped.jpg/200px-Ian_Mahinmi_1_cropped.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOm7-f76h0s

anakha
06-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Mason may have a nice one dribble -two dribble pull up whenever the defense goes under on pick and rolls and gives Mason breathing room. That's irrelevant now that we have Manu and R.J on our team. Mason's role will not be to be the creator of the offense by getting the pick and roll called while he's handling the ball. His role will be spot up shooting.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I'd like to say that if Mason is kept, making him a simple spot-up shooter is a waste of his skills.

As evidenced by this past season, Mason's greatest strength seems to be that pull-up J. Trying to shoehorn him into a role that doesn't play to his strengths will end up just like what happened to Turkoglu before.

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Thats assuming Mahinmi stays healthy, but, yeah theres room for him too.

but going into next season you can't depend or rely heavily on Ian Mahinmi.

I'd say signing a vet big as the starter, and adding one more veteran would make the frontcourt set.

urunobili
06-26-2009, 12:04 PM
James Gist bitches!!!

damn where have YOU been? :tu

TimDunkem
06-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Thats assuming Mahinmi stays healthy, but, yeah theres room for him too.

but going into next season you can't depend or rely heavily on Ian Mahinmi.

I'd say signing a vet big as the starter, and adding one more veteran would make the frontcourt set.

Our front court has the potential to be really sick.

Duncan/Blair/Gist
FA big/ Mahinmi/ Bonner

:flag:

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah if the players play to said potential, thats a pretty nice bigman set thats very versatile.

I'm curious to who they are gonna go after with the MLE.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 12:08 PM
So now a couple bad game makes a guy?

What big games has Raja Bell had big games in ?

Do you forget how stupid he would play down the stretch in big games with bad fouls bad hots and what not?

Plus he's older, lost a step, and is not as good a shooter.

I don't get the infatuation with getting rid of Roger Mason Jr.

There's no infatuation with getting rid of RMJ. I just think Bell would be better for this team. Bell shot the same percentage from three as Mason last year. I just think Mason is a very one -dimensional player that is expendable with the addition of RJ. Whether we test the trade waters, by packaging him with Bonner to improve our starting 2 spot or package him with Bonner to get our starting big man if the targets with the MLE fall through.

And i think your getting Raja Bell confused with Amare Stoudamire in terms of the bad fouls. Raja Bell performed quite well in the big stage ( playoffs) every year since he was in Dallas.

here's the link if you don't believe me just look at his shooting percentages:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bellra01.html

Just scroll down to the playoff statistics. And remember he guarded the best perimeter player every game and still put up great efficient numbers. And his best numbers he put up were the most recent, against the Spurs in 2008.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Gist and Blair fill different roles. There's room for both.

People aren't thinking... we can give the youth more minutes during the regular season and have the vets more rested for the playoffs.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
making him a simple spot-up shooter is a waste of his skills.

As evidenced by this past season, Mason's greatest strength seems to be that pull-up J. Trying to shoehorn him into a role that doesn't play to his strengths will end up just like what happened to Turkoglu before.

Hate to break it to you, but more than likely that's the role that Mason will have to accept due to the addition of a healthy Manu and Richard Jefferson. Mason's opportunities won't be the same.

Anyway I just hope Pop gives Gist/ Blair/ Mahimni a real opportunity, regardless of what Bonner did in the regular season last year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-26-2009, 12:16 PM
I still cannot believe Blair fell to you guys. What does your lineup look like so far:

Parker - Hill
Mason - Manu
Jefferson - Finley? Gist?
Duncan - Blair? Bonner?
??? - Mahinmi?

Other than center you guys seem to be in good shape. Blair is by far the steal of the draft.

Mugen
06-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Gist would be a very effective small ball 4.

theres room.

bring on the gist.

sign the sheed.

raise the trophy.

benefactor
06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't think that the acquisition of Blair will affect Gist as much as the play of Bonner will. Bonner and Gist and much more similar from a style standpoint. It will probably be a similar situation to what we had last year with Bonner and Tolliver. Let's not forget that Bonner historically has been Pop's favorite doghouse resident. If Gist really plays well and Bonner starts to freeze up or miss a lot of shots then he could easily wind up there again...and possibly traded before the deadline.

EricB
06-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah agreed benefactor, if Gist has developed his jumper to the point they say he has, he sounds like Anthony Tolliver but with better blocking ability and rebounding.

TimDunkem
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM

theres room.

bring on the gist.

sign the sheed.

raise the trophy.

:toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't think that the acquisition of Blair will affect Gist as much as the play of Bonner will. Bonner and Gist and much more similar from a style standpoint. It will probably be a similar situation to what we had last year with Bonner and Tolliver. Let's not forget that Bonner historically has been Pop's favorite doghouse resident. If Gist really plays well and Bonner starts to freeze up or miss a lot of shots then he could easily wind up there again...and possibly traded before the deadline.

I don't even see it getting that far. Everyone saw what Bonner could (not) do in the playoffs. Gist seems to fill a concurrent role. So would Sheed.

Either of those comes, and with our lux tax situation I can't see them keeping Bonner around if they can in any way get rid of him.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:42 PM
James Gist bitches!!!

every fkn gists supporter here, should go fkn tattoo their knuckles JAMES GISTS..it fkn fits, when he leaves a mark in ur face dunk :downspin:

dare i say it, CHAMPIONSHIP :lobt2:

TimDunkem
06-26-2009, 12:43 PM
every fkn gists supporter here, should go fkn tattoo their knuckles JAMES GISTS..it fkn fits, when he leaves a mark in ur face dunk :downspin:

Hilarious :lol.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't even see it getting that far. Everyone saw what Bonner could (not) do in the playoffs. Gist seems to fill a concurrent role. So would Sheed.

Either of those comes, and with our lux tax situation I can't see them keeping Bonner around if they can in any way get rid of him.

I agree. If Finley opts to play for the Spurs again next year, then Bonner could very well be packaged in a deal to bring in our post player to play next to Tim. That's if our priority with the MLE falls through.

Malice
06-26-2009, 12:47 PM

theres room.

bring on the gist.

sign the sheed.

raise the trophy.

Hells to the yea.

:toast

HarlemHeat37
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I would love to see Gist at the 3..how is his lateral quickness and ball-handling/driving ability?..

A long, athletic 3 would help out a lot..

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I agree. If Finley opts to play for the Spurs again next year, then Bonner could very well be packaged in a deal to bring in our post player to play next to Tim. That's if our priority with the MLE falls through.

if the spurs can pull a trade for a big?

dont think the spurs are going to spend the MLE...

MoSpur
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't mind moving Bonner to mkae room for Gist.

Malice
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Damn I love the youth movement. With that being said....Pop is going to have his hands full, and he'll need to give the young guys some slack.

tomtom
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM
woohoo cant wait to see him

MaNu4Tres
if the spurs can pull a trade for a big?

dont think the spurs are going to spend the MLE...

I meant if their plans for whoever they were going to sign for the MLE didn't pan out. And if Finley resigned, then Bonner could very well be packaged for a big man. And even if they made that trade, they would still be spending the same total amount of money they would be spending if they didn't make a trade and used the MLE.

MaNu4Tres
In other words Finley resigning is the key.

Blackjack
06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I would love to see Gist at the 3..how is his lateral quickness and ball-handling/driving ability?..

A long, athletic 3 would help out a lot..

If he can guard some of those big 3's that always give the Spurs trouble and play alongside a guy like 'Sheed who can extend to the 3 and defend the bigger front court players, you could get away with playing him as more of a 4offensively and a 3 defensively.

That, would definitely be an asset.

Bring on the Gist... (And the 'Sheed. :smokin)

Borosai
06-26-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm anxious to see what he can do this year in the SL. He did well last year, and was sent off to Europe, without complaint. There is a spot, and need, for him.

hater
06-26-2009, 01:24 PM
damn where have YOU been? :tu

s'up uru. I'm back just in time to see the Gist

Bender
06-26-2009, 01:45 PM
so is Gooden definately gone, or is it still up in the air?

hater
06-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I hear the Wiz might sign Gooden

Darkwaters
06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
People putting Mahinmi ahead of Gist should think that through a bit. What has Mahinmi ever done? Not much of anything - plus, unlike Gist, hes injury prone. I'm thinking Gist is ahead of Mahinmi on the chart right now.

MaNu4Tres
06-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I hear the Wiz might sign Gooden

He'd fit there. A bunch of adequately skilled offensive players that don't know where the fine line is between a good shot and a bad one. Team full of chuckers. I'd hate to be a Wizards fan.

EricB
06-26-2009, 01:53 PM
:lol ^ What he said. Drew Gooden would be the perfect fit in Washington.

Adios.

Sobe_Kucks
06-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Long odds sure, but Gists 49 % shooting percentage from beyond the arc this past year in the Italian League makes me wonder if that can make Bonner expendable in the Spurs FO's eyes. Since Gist would be a more physical and athletic player in that role.

You mean Bonner isn't athletic???

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
People putting Mahinmi ahead of Gist should think that through a bit. What has Mahinmi ever done? Not much of anything - plus, unlike Gist, hes injury prone. I'm thinking Gist is ahead of Mahinmi on the chart right now.

I like Gist as much as the next guy but slow down. Gist hasn't done much of anything either. Mahinmi's been in the organization for two years now so he's got a huge head start over Gist in learning the system. Plus the fact that Mahinmi actually has the body to play center, the Spurs shallowest position on the depth chart, gives him another huge advantage over Gist. As of right now, the odds of Mahinmi seeing regular rotation minutes this season are much better than Gist's.

That being said I'm excited about Gist and am glad that the Spurs do not have to make a roster decision between these two. There's room on the team for both.

timvp
06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I really like the idea of allowing Blair, Mahinmi and Gist fight for minutes. Blair is a good pick but there's no guarantee he'll be ready right away. If the Spurs can land a free agent big and then if one of those three players can win the third bigman spot in the rotation, the Spurs will be in good shape. If Bonner is around, he he can have the specialist fourth or fifth bigman role.

If Gist can steal minutes at small forward, that's a bonus.

Another plus to remember about Gist is his contract. Being a second round pick, he's the cheapest form of player there is. That's important -- especially if the Spurs are going to spend the entire MLE and go significantly over the lux tax threshold.

Tully365
06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Gist's versatility is what will make him valuable for the Spurs. In a match-up against a Rashard Lewis type at PF, Gist would probably be a better option than Blair. Against a Carlos Boozer type, Blair would be the better choice. Gist as a small ball 4, or even better, a tall lineup 3, could give Pop a lot of versatility.

angelbelow
06-26-2009, 03:19 PM
yes!!! bring in the gist!!

bdictjames
06-26-2009, 03:46 PM
We save some money, and we get this guy! Get Gist!

Sorry Bruce

CGD
06-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I really like the idea of allowing Blair, Mahinmi and Gist fight for minutes. Blair is a good pick but there's no guarantee he'll be ready right away. If the Spurs can land a free agent big and then if one of those three players can win the third bigman spot in the rotation, the Spurs will be in good shape. If Bonner is around, he he can have the specialist fourth or fifth bigman role.

If Gist can steal minutes at small forward, that's a bonus.

Another plus to remember about Gist is his contract. Being a second round pick, he's the cheapest form of player there is. That's important -- especially if the Spurs are going to spend the entire MLE and go significantly over the lux tax threshold.

Good take :tu:

Borosai
06-26-2009, 04:02 PM
James Gist!

He's the guy I'm most anxious to see this summer. We know he can be a small 4, but if he can team up with Jefferson to man the 3 spot rotation, that would be awwwshit. And it would leave the 4-5 rotation to Duncan, Blair, Mahinmi and the F.A. center, with Bonner getting spot minutes by need.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:55 PM
I was most looking forward to seeing Gist till Dejuan Blair got drafted.

I'm very very anxious to see how he does and if he rebounds and scores with the ferocity he did in college.

*fingers crossed*

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 05:10 PM
There's room on the roster for everyone. With the Spurs being in luxury tax territory this year, they're going to have to go bargain basement to fill out the roster, and that means going young. Here's how the roster plays out:

Red indicates a player that's not yet on the roster.

Parker - starting PG,
Ginobili - starting SG (whether he starts or not)
Jefferson - starting SF
Duncan - starting PF
FA Center - starting C

Hill - backup PG
Mason - backup SG
Mcclinton - SG role player, shooting, defense
Blair - PF/C role player, rebounding, defense size
Mahinmi - PF/C role player, rebounding, defense length
Bonner - PF/C role player, shooting, defense
Hairston - SG/SF role player, defense, penetration
Gist - SF/PF role player, shooting, rebounding, defense

Marcus Williams - Trade Bait/Austin

This gives the Spurs a heck of a versatile and athletic roster with lots of ability to defend and rebound around a core of really good stars. You also have an above average defender at every position, and several guys that play two positions to allow the team to go big or small depending on the situation. There's also room for another minimum vet, Finley if he decides to stay or for a call-up from the D League.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM

Yeah, the Spurs couldn't use a long athletic player who can play both forward spots and stroke the 3.

SenorSpur
06-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Gist and Blair fill different roles. There's room for both.

People aren't thinking... we can give the youth more minutes during the regular season and have the vets more rested for the playoffs.

Amen +1

There is ABSOLUTELY room on this roster for Gist. Hell, isn't that the whole reason he was sent to Italy last year? This, despite having been one of the stars for the Spurs summer league team.

Now, after one year of good seasoning as a pro, he should be ready. He fills a very different and unique role than anyone else on the roster. There should be no reason that Gist doesn't make the opening day roster.

Spurtacus
06-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Mahinmi can play the 4, 5 while Gist is 3,4. There's certainly room for both on the roster.

rayray2k8
06-26-2009, 07:36 PM
We got young quality players, basically..
Season is shaping up to become epic.

clubalien
06-26-2009, 07:54 PM
there is a rule that if a player plays some many seasons we cannot send him to the d league , correct. so that means we cannot send finely to austin ;[

SpursFan0728
06-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Our front court has the potential to be really sick.

Duncan/Blair/Gist
FA big/ Mahinmi/ Bonner

:flag:

And Spitter who might be coming in 2010~!

Borosai
06-26-2009, 08:33 PM
There's room on the roster for everyone. With the Spurs being in luxury tax territory this year, they're going to have to go bargain basement to fill out the roster, and that means going young. Here's how the roster plays out:

Red indicates a player that's not yet on the roster.

Parker - starting PG,
Ginobili - starting SG (whether he starts or not)
Jefferson - starting SF
Duncan - starting PF
FA Center - starting C

Hill - backup PG
Mason - backup SG
Mcclinton - SG role player, shooting, defense
Blair - PF/C role player, rebounding, defense size
Mahinmi - PF/C role player, rebounding, defense length
Bonner - PF/C role player, shooting, defense
Hairston - SG/SF role player, defense, penetration
Gist - SF/PF role player, shooting, rebounding, defense

Marcus Williams - Trade Bait/Austin

This gives the Spurs a heck of a versatile and athletic roster with lots of ability to defend and rebound around a core of really good stars. You also have an above average defender at every position, and several guys that play two positions to allow the team to go big or small depending on the situation. There's also room for another minimum vet, Finley if he decides to stay or for a call-up from the D League.

Exactly. Plenty of youth. Plenty of depth. Mason and McClinton will compete for the shooter-without-a-conscience role, which should be interesting. This whole offseason and next season should be a blast.

06-26-2009, 09:42 PM
notice he said

"im going to play for the spurs this year"

not

"the spurs are bringing me over this year"

james gist is returning.

exstatic
06-26-2009, 11:36 PM

With Finley, we have nine players currently under contract, without, eight. Personally, I think "without" wins. Spurs bring in a big with all/part of the MLE. That still leaves four spots that must be filled, and six that can be. Being in the deep tax territory that they are in, who do you think the Spurs are going to fill those spots with? I'm thinking four to six recent second rounders are going to get their shot on the 15 man roster, whether in SA or in Austin.

Blair (obvious)
MWilliams (signed already)
McClinton (3rd small guard)
Gist

and the two on the bubble

Hairston ?
DeColo (France) ?

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
man if we can get rid of bonners contract would be n ice.....and hope finley doesnt pick up the option....heck i would throw in masons contract for a trade also...

then use the MLE on big
fill out the roster with rookies....

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 12:21 AM
If we get 'Sheed, I'd stick with the guys we have, except Bonner could be traded..

I wouldn't trade Mason at all though..he's one of the best shooters in the NBA, and we're definitely going to need his shooting next year..

I hope Finley is gone regardless though..

TimDunkem
06-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Bring in The Gist. :lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Thompson
06-27-2009, 03:17 AM
C Wallace Mahinmi Bonner
Pf Duncan Blair Gist
Sf Jefferson Bowen Hairston
Sg Mason Manu McClinton
Pg Parker Hill Williams

Is there a limit to how many rookies we can send to the Toros at once? Have the IR guys down in Austin; Gist and McClinton along with Williams if possible to get them used to the Spurs system, at least for the first 2-3 months of the season. Bring them back and be sure to get them enough time with the Spurs so that they can play if needed in the postseason. Hopefully by the end of the season Hairston or Gist will have taken over the backup SF role from Bowen.

2010 -Splitter comes over and we're loaded.

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2009, 03:23 AM
C Wallace Mahinmi Bonner
Pf Duncan Blair Gist
Sg Mason Manu McClinton
Pg Parker Hill Williams

splitter takes bonners spot if he does come over next season.....
we can decrease the tax next season if ginoboli takes a paycut...

spurs will be paying the tax this season and maybe next season...its fkn all worth it for 1 yr milking duncan

exstatic
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
C Wallace Mahinmi Bonner
Pf Duncan Blair Gist
Sg Mason Manu McClinton
Pg Parker Hill Williams

Is there a limit to how many rookies we can send to the Toros at once? Have the IR guys down in Austin; Gist and McClinton along with Williams if possible to get them used to the Spurs system, at least for the first 2-3 months of the season. Bring them back and be sure to get them enough time with the Spurs so that they can play if needed in the postseason. Hopefully by the end of the season Hairston or Gist will have taken over the backup SF role from Bowen.

I think the limit is two in Austin at any time on NBA contracts, which is silly, since you can have 15 on your roster, and only 12 active for any game.

Ian is out of Austin options, having gone up and down for two NBA years already. Not sure about Williams. He was cut in training camp after he was drafted, so I don't think he got a year of service, spending it all in Austin on a Toros contract. He was on a Spurs contract in Austin at the end of last year, though, so that's one year of service. Didn't he do some time on the Clippers? Was it a ten day contract, or did they sign him for the balance of 2007-2008? If they did, then he's out of options to Austin, too, being considered a 3rd year player this coming season.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Will Gist still be an option if Sheed signs next week???

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Gist should still be an option..it depends how the front office views him though..I think he'll be much better in the NBA as a 3/4, instead of strictly as a 4..

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Gist or Blair? Who do you think has a better chance to make the team this coming year?

coyotes_geek
06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Blair, but I doubt the Spurs see the two of them in direct competition for one roster spot. So it's possible that both make it.

Spurs Brazil
06-27-2009, 05:03 PM
I think Gist needs to show another good performance on the Summer League to get a contact.

We'll also have to see how Ian and Blair will play in those games. If those two guys do well I don't see the Spurs offering Gist a contract

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Summer league is going to be heavy competition between a lot of quality guys for a chance to really contribute to the Spurs. I can hardly wait.

EricB
06-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Summer league is going to be heavy competition between a lot of quality guys for a chance to really contribute to the Spurs. I can hardly wait.

Best

Summer league

ever.

Period.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 05:31 PM
When does summer league start?

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Best

Summer league

ever.

Period.

Yep. I watched every minute of SL last year that was available to watch. I'm damn sure doing the same this year.

EricB
06-27-2009, 05:36 PM

July 13 or something along those lines I believe.

Tully365
06-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Best

Summer league

ever.

Period.

:lol :toast

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Great!! I can wait to see how the young guys perform on the court... it should be fun!

lefty
06-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Spurghisti !!!!!!!!!!

Mel_13
06-27-2009, 07:03 PM

First Spurs game on July 12th

Full schedule:

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/schedule/index.html

Thompson
06-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Gist should still be an option..it depends how the front office views him though..I think he'll be much better in the NBA as a 3/4, instead of strictly as a 4..

I definitely hope they focus on making him a 3, although he could back up the 4 next year behind Blair. My thought is that they'll almost be overloaded at the 4/5 next year assuming they can bring Splitter over and they've signed Rasheed for a couple years, and they'll ideally need someone at the backup small forward position.

It would be awesome if Gist could (as much as possible) become our Bowen replacement, or something approaching Trevor Ariza.

seth210
06-27-2009, 07:42 PM
when and where can i watch summer league?

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Webcast on NBA.com

Thompson
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Webcast on NBA.com

All the games, or just some of them? Also, is Vegas on Mountain or Pacific time?

Baseline
06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Spurs older than Tim Duncan on the end of season roster:

2005---6
2006---7
2007---6
2008---8
2009---5

As of today, Michael Finley is the only Spur under contract older than TD.

Finley is also older than Pop.

And this just in...Finley is worthless. Gist should absolutely take Finley's place. But if not Finley, then he should certainly take Udoka's place.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Seriously, folks, NBA.com has all the information, which is all in the link Mel put up an hour ago. Don't you guys have internet access? Do I need to show you how to open a new browser window?

Thompson
06-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Seriously, folks, NBA.com has all the information, which is all in the link Mel put up an hour ago. Don't you guys have internet access? Do I need to show you how to open a new browser window?

I was wondering if you knew off the top of your head if they were streaming all the games. I've been to the website, it doesn't say. You probably don't know, but there's no harm in asking (despite the fact that you have apparently suffered greatly).

And Vegas is apparently on Pacific time, so the marked times are two hours later for us.

BackHome
06-28-2009, 12:24 AM
C Wallace Mahinmi Bonner
Pf Duncan Blair Gist
Sg Mason Manu McClinton
Pg Parker Hill Williams

If we sign Wallace then I see no reason to Keep Bonner. My wish list would be:

Pg. Tony/Hill/Williams
SG. Manu/Mason/McClinton
SF. Jefferson/Gist/Hariston
PF. Timmy/Blair/Bonner
C. Gorat or Sheed/Ian

Security Blankets: Gist in case Blair knees.....and Bonner in case Ian breaks.

Now that Orlando is letting go Turko they are going strong for Sheed. If that happens we desperately need Gorat and I would also give up on Hariston and sign Herman from Detroit.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 12:46 AM
I was wondering if you knew off the top of your head if they were streaming all the games. I've been to the website, it doesn't say. You probably don't know, but there's no harm in asking (despite the fact that you have apparently suffered greatly).

And Vegas is apparently on Pacific time, so the marked times are two hours later for us.

All games last year were available live and free online.

Thompson
06-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Thank you. I'm definitely watching them all.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Thank you. I'm definitely watching them all.

If I remember correctly, most games had no commentators. Only the games that were to be shown on NBA-TV had play-by-play. There were game blogs here on ST.

duncan228
06-28-2009, 01:19 AM
There were game blogs here on ST.

Always a fun way to watch any game.

siraulo23
06-28-2009, 01:30 AM
Webcast on NBA.com

For free? and available to people outside the US?

Thompson
06-28-2009, 01:44 AM

As to the 'outside the U.S.,' I have no idea, but Mel said they're available free online. I don't know why they wouldn't be available outside the U.S., unless you live in China, Iran, or North Korea; where are you from, Brazil?

siraulo23
06-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Australia

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 01:51 AM
As to the 'outside the U.S.,' I have no idea, but Mel said they're available free online. I don't know why they wouldn't be available outside the U.S., unless you live in China, Iran, or North Korea; where are you from, Brazil?

No clue. They can block access to certain countries, usually if they have sold the broadcast or webcast rights to some provider in that country.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:13 AM

I'm not sure, but for the life of me I can't see why they'd block your access. There have been problems with that before. You can create an account at NBA.com which gives you access, and your're just going to have to try things out to see what works. The account is absolutely free.

Solid D
06-28-2009, 06:16 AM
A Summer League lineup of George Hill, Jack McClinton, James Gist, DeJuan Blair and Ian Mahinmi would probably raise some eyebrows, now wouldn't it?

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2009, 06:46 AM
A Summer League lineup of George Hill, Jack McClinton, James Gist, DeJuan Blair and Ian Mahinmi would probably raise some eyebrows, now wouldn't it?

this startin 5 can destroy the torros

Penya
06-28-2009, 06:53 AM

Yes and yes

Sissiborgo
06-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I think this will be a great season for us!....:toast

picnroll
06-28-2009, 10:08 AM

And add Hairston and Williams to the list. Is Sankidze going to get an invite?

Borosai
06-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Fun.

BlackBellamy
06-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I think what he meant was, "I am going to play for the Spurs this year"... in preseason then I am going back overseas to make bank. :blah

45 bank shot
06-28-2009, 01:34 PM
I think what he meant was, "I am going to play for the Spurs this year"... in preseason then I am going back overseas to make bank. :blah

hope not