PDA

View Full Version : 3-Time Academic All-American, Jack McClinton III

Solid D
06-26-2009, 11:12 AM
http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030609aaa.html

All-America candidate earns the honors for the third-straight season.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mifl/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/2732655.jpeg
Jack McClinton excels on the court and in the classroom.

March 6, 2009

CORAL GABLES, FLA. - The University of Miami's Jack McClinton was named to the 2009 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Men's Basketball Team for the third-straight season, as announced today by Commissioner John Swofford.

Miami and Duke lead all ACC teams with seven All-ACC Academic Men's Basketball Team selections over the last four years.

McClinton was among a group of eight to earn the recognition this season, requiring a student-athlete to earn a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintain a 3.00 cumulative average during his academic career.

A three-year starter for the Hurricanes, McClinton leads the ACC in three-point field goal percentage (.468) and three-point field goals per game (3.1), while ranking third in free throw percentage (.870) and fourth in scoring (19.5.2). In addition, the Baltimore-native is the ACC's all-time leader in three-point field goal percentage (.444) and second in career free throw percentage (.895).

In 2007-08, McClinton was the only First Team All-ACC pick to also earn All-ACC Academic Team accolades.

Joining McClinton on the All-ACC Academic Men's Basketball Team is Jerome Meyinsse (Jr., Virginia), Greg Paulus (Sr., Duke), Tanner Smith (Fr., Clemson), Tunji Soroye (Sr., Virginia), Johnny Thomas (R-Fr., NC State), Tyler Zeller (Fr., North Carolina) and Brian Zoubek (Jr., Duke). Paulus, Zoubek and Meyinsse are repeat selections alongside McClinton.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
seems like a typical spur.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
seems like a typical spur.

Not quite, he is the ACC's 2nd all-time leader in FT percentage (.895). :lol

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 11:18 AM
give him time in our system.

he will unlearn free throw shooting.

Spursmania
06-26-2009, 11:20 AM

:lol

Also, I loved it when Buford said they believe McClinton is the best shooter in the country. :wow

Spurtacus
06-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Not only that but he helps us meet the NBA tatoo requirements!

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 11:27 AM

That's okay. Blair cancels him out. :lol

urunobili
06-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Solid D... stop it... now i'll be really mad if he doesn't make the team... :depressed

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 02:10 PM
seriously his ft % ....that aint spurs material

duncan228
06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Former University of Miami star Jack McClinton drafted by San Antonio Spurs (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/hurricanes/sfl-jack-mcclinton-062609,0,3311551.story)
By Shandel Richardson | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Jack McClinton had no idea why he was receiving congratulatory text messages.

He was watching the NBA Draft Thursday with family in Baltimore when the alerts began filling his phone.

"I didn't know what was going on," McClinton said. "I guess we were watching (the Draft) on a delay."

After a longer than expected wait, the good news finally hit. McClinton, a former Miami Hurricanes guard, was taken by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round. He was the 51st overall pick.

Jack McClinton works out for Miami Heat "It was crazy," McClinton said of the wait. "I just heard so many things, hearing the Knicks are going to take you at No. 29. But you don't know anything until it happens."

The New York Knicks were rumored to have interest and those picked up steam when they acquired the Los Angeles Lakers' first-round pick. Those hopes were dashed when the Knicks selected Florida State guard Toney Douglas.

It pushed McClinton to the second round, where he isn't guaranteed anything. He will have to earn a contract by having an impressive showing with the Spurs' summer league team.

A little extra work is nothing new for McClinton. He was lightly recruited out of high school before landing at Siena. After one season, he transferred to Miami and became an elite player in the Atlantic Coast Conference. He earned first-team all-conference honors the past two seasons and was considered one of the nation’s top 3-pointers shooters.

"I'm ready," McClinton said. "It's time to get going . . . In the second round, it doesn't matter where you get picked. It's all the same, it's still the second round."

The 6-foot-2 McClinton is the first Hurricanes player drafted since Guillermo Diaz in 2006. Before the Draft, he said finding the perfect situation was the key to becoming a success in the NBA. He feels he's been presented with that opportunity.

The Spurs are a veteran team, led by power forward Tim Duncan. Although some questioned McClinton's point-guard skills, he will get the chance to learn from one of the game's best in Tony Parker.

"It was the best fit for me in just about every way," McClinton said. "They just made a good trade to get Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan is dominant in the post and I'll be learning from Tony Parker. I think it's a good opportunity.

symple19
06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
:tu good one

EricB
06-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Talking with a friend who is a former U of M alum and lives in Miami and still goes to the games said this kid is a scorer plain and simple but his defense is off the charts.

Likened him as a hyprid of Eddie House and George Hill on the defensive end.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 03:48 PM
If you don't think this kid can score with Timmy creating space or with Double-Wide Blair setting screens for him, then you are seriously damaged. :wow

EricB
06-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Amazing how guys like Mo Williams and Eddie House, who are both undersized shooting guards can get by in the league.

Theres also that guy Allan Iverson.

Das Texan
06-26-2009, 04:14 PM
nice article except for the point guard part :lol

angelbelow
06-26-2009, 04:16 PM
the FT jokes are still funny?

Libri
06-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Talking with a friend who is a former U of M alum and lives in Miami and still goes to the games said this kid is a scorer plain and simple but his defense is off the charts.

Likened him as a hyprid of Eddie House and George Hill on the defensive end.

That's one of the things that surprised me about RC's comments. If he can play good D and make a couple of 3s then he could very well find a role with the Spurs.

Does anybody know if he's a decent ball handler? That might be his weakness.

TimDunkem
06-26-2009, 04:33 PM
He's a good ball handler and can ACTUALLY shoot off the dribble. He could improve though.

AA2120
06-26-2009, 04:33 PM
i think i remember he got ejected in the 1st half of a game this past season against ohio state i think..he bitch slapped some dude..hahaha it was pretty funny..

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:34 PM
the FT jokes are still funny?

Yeah apparently.

That along with calling another guy a "fag" or flopping other homophobic childish names as well.

EricB
06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
That's one of the things that surprised me about RC's comments. If he can play good D and make a couple of 3s then he could very well find a role with the Spurs.

Handles are decent to good.

Could be better of course, but better than number 8.