PDA

View Full Version : Whither Marcus Williams?

Ocotillo
06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
With all the justified excitement about the Jefferson trade and last nights draft, Marcus Williams has become a forgotten man, at least on this board.

He was chosen over Hairston who is still on everyone's radar.

Does anyone expect him to make the roster next year? Isn't he to the stage where he is no longer a Toro's candidate?

ChumpDumper
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
If Nando stays overseas, there is a chance Williams can stick as a third string point of sorts since McClinton doesn't seem to have those skills.

coyotes_geek
06-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Williams was chosen over Hairston, but the roster has gone through a major shakeup since that decision was made. No telling whether or not the Spurs still feel that whatever they liked about what Williams brought to the team is still more important than whatever they thought Hairston brought to the team.

If the rumors about Gist are true then there's a chance neither Williams or Hairston are on the squad next year.

fyatuk
06-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Does anyone expect him to make the roster next year? Isn't he to the stage where he is no longer a Toro's candidate?

It's probably between him and Hairston for one spot at this point.

And yes, he can no longer do Toro's duty.

bigfan
06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Williams and Hairston both are spares. Let em play in Austin.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2009, 11:36 AM
So Marcus Williams is a 6'7 PG?He was in Austin this past season. Whether he can do that in the NBA remains to be seen, but the Spurs do seem to now have two point guard sized players with questionable point guard skills, so there may be room for Marcus if he makes the most of summer league and training camp.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 11:42 AM
If Nando stays overseas, there is a chance Williams can stick as a third string point of sorts since McClinton doesn't seem to have those skills.

Chump, I think RC removed the "If". He said on the radio today that Nando is going to be playing for a good coach in Spain this year. Good coach = Pop's good friend Neven Spehija with Pamesa, with whom Pop visited a few weeks ago.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
The one thing I dont like about Williams is his lateral quickness. His length will bother some players, but players who rely on quickness will eat him alive.There might be more switching on defensive assignments if he's in a lineup with Hill for instance; I was surprised how little that happened on the Toros. Indeed, Williams was chosen more often for the situational stopper role than Hairston.

Chump, I think RC removed the "If". He said on the radio today that Nando is going to be playing in Spain this year.Thanks. There are certainly a lot of options for the third point guard slot, but Marcus makes some sense to keep the team from getting too undersized. For better or worse, Pop seems enamored with larger point guards.

Solid D
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I edited my above comments regarding playing for Neven.

Ocotillo
06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Him and McClinton would be a good combo. offense mcclinton takes the SG role and Williams takes PG role and on defense Mcclinton switches to defend PG and Williams SG

From R.C.'s post draft interview I got that he had the same thought only with Hill rather than Williams.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Him and McClinton would be a good combo. offense mcclinton takes the SG role and Williams takes PG role and on defense Mcclinton switches to defend PG and Williams SG

From R.C.'s post draft interview I got that he had the same thought only with Hill rather than Williams.Yeah, if McClinton's shooting translates to the NBA, he could be an active roster player from the start. I see Williams as mainly an IR player this season if he makes the squad, but his size and versatility could make him the first guy activated if anyone in positions 1-3 goes down.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
would be nice if his game can be mold to a point-forward like prime grant hill without the bad ankles....