PDA

View Full Version : Fall From Heaven: The DeJuan Blair Story

Universe
06-26-2009, 01:45 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/106arl4.jpg

By Stephen Dyell

Labelled defective and risky, a man who has only known one home will look to prove the doubters wrong as he enters his dream of the NBA Thursday night a lot further down than expected.

DeJuan Blair grew up in Pittsburgh in literally walking distance of his former college school. He was the youngest and smallest of four children but that soon changed as he began to grow. By the time Blair entered Schenley High School; he stood 6’7 and had a punishing body to go along with the tall frame.

The three-time Pittsburgh City League Player of the Year was a highly regarded prospect coming out of high school where he fielded many offers. Florida, Tennessee and even smaller schools like Rutgers and Miami all pushed hard for the young talent as Blair’s parents wanted him to leave the state to go to college but it was for his grandmother that Blair chose Pittsburgh.

With the team losing starter Aaron Gray to graduation, his grandmother, Donna Saddler, recognized the chance her grandson had at starting on a talented local team and so he went with Coach Jamie Dixon’s team.

Blair became the starter and also the terror as he lead the Panthers to a Big East Conference tournament win over schools such as Syracuse, Georgetown and Connecticut. Blair also won the Big East Rookie of the Year as he put up nearly 12 points per game and just over nine rebounds too.

In his second year, Blair tore up the field even worse winning the Big East Player of the Year award with fellow NBA hopefully Hasheem Thabeet. Blair’s 12.3 RPG were one of the best in the country as he was linked in NBA mocks to go top ten with fellow Big East star Thabeet. The consensus First team All-American decided to place his name in the NBA draft hiring an agent just a day after stating his decision forcing him out of the NCAA. It was then things began to go downhill.

Blair had ACL surgery on both knees in high school, but suffered no setbacks in college. NBA general managers seemed worried about his future as past mistakes of Shareef Abdur-Rah and Allan Houston were still fresh in many minds.

Blair went from workout to workout even calling himself a “lottery pick” in an interview as he felt he impressed each city he entered as the toughness and hard working Pittsburgh native looked to make his dream a relativity.

The night came as Blair spent it with his family waiting for his name to be called to an NBA team. They began to wait patiently as players who hadn’t even scored above 10 points per game were being drafted ahead of him. The man who he shared the Big East Player of the Year went second overall while Blair was left waiting.

Blair waited all the way until the 37th overall pick where the San Antonio Spurs decided to take a risk on the talented 20-year old.

The Spurs had a busy week trading for Richard Jefferson while loosing two valuable bigs in Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto leaving the door open for him to prove what many didn’t believe 36 picks ahead of him.

Chad Ford has already called him the steal of the draft and a possible starter for a team that many say has brought itself to second overall in season previews.

Blair knows what he has to do as many labelled him defective even though he has the hardware and resume to prove otherwise. Blair will be one of the players that every general manager will be watching in April maybe not dominating the way he did in college, but playing the role asked by new coach, Greg Popovich and with that, his ring fingers might be filled up quicker than others in his draft class.

Brought to you by OTRBasketball.com

phyzik
06-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't think this is a risk at all. We didn't give anything up for this guy. He was the second or third best player in college and all of his ACL problems were a long time ago in high school and didn't seem to bother him in college.

We needed a guy like Blair and I hope he plays around 20 minutes per game. He might even get some rookie of the year mentions being in a spotlight team like San Antonio. He is an upgrade over thomas and Oberto for sure.

agreed, he also he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove to the teams that passed on him.

Kermit
06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Shareef Abdur-Rahim was a mistake? WTF?

EricB
06-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Shareef Abdur-Rahim was a 20 point a game guy last I checked, and Allan Houston was an All Star....

bigdog
06-26-2009, 02:31 PM
just because Abdur-Rahim and Houston broke down towards the end of their careers, these guys are worried? that's stupid. I'd be more worried if those guys ended up being busts.

Taking it to the Hole
06-26-2009, 02:42 PM
This guy is going to be a BEAST for us. He won't get pushed around in the low post and is going to inject some attitude to the Spurs. I love that people are underestimating him, because he should feel right at home with the Spurs in proving doubters wrong.

TampaDude
06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
This guy is going to be a BEAST for us. He won't get pushed around in the low post and is going to inject some attitude to the Spurs. I love that people are underestimating him, because he should feel right at home with the Spurs in proving doubters wrong.

^ this

Cry Havoc
06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I'd love to see Blair have "just" the career that Abdur-Rahim did.

Universe
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I was talking about Allan and SAR from a money signing point since everyone has turned cheap as hell. Drafting SAR and Houston were great pickups but the contracts they got after screwed each team.

xtremesteven33
06-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I know Duncan somewhere is excited.....

Tully365
06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
If Blair plays two or three great years on his rookie contract and then asks for a six year deal making big money, that's the time to worry about the longevity of his knees. As for now, the gamble has been made and the Spurs & their fans just need to enjoy the process... I rooted hard for George Hill last year as a little known guy from a little known school, and I'll root even harder for DeJuan as one of the toughest guys in college basketball who will be playing for far less money than guys he absolutely destroyed when they went head to head last year.

Universe
06-26-2009, 04:00 PM
If Blair plays two or three great years on his rookie contract and then asks for a six year deal making big money, that's the time to worry about the longevity of his knees. As for now, the gamble has been made and the Spurs & their fans just need to enjoy the process... I rooted hard for George Hill last year as a little known guy from a little known school, and I'll root even harder for DeJuan as one of the toughest guys in college basketball who will be playing for far less money than guys he absolutely destroyed when they went head to head last year.
Exactly. A young player who can contribute to a sucsessful team for cheap. I don't what else anyone would want?

Tully365
06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I expect that we will understand the knee situation better in the near future. The reports now are a bit vague. I don't see how he could've had ACL surgery on both knees in high school, but now "doesn't have" ACLs... this doesn't make sense. Where the hell did they go?!

Extra Stout
06-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I expect that we will understand the knee situation better in the near future. The reports now are a bit vague. I don't see how he could've had ACL surgery on both knees in high school, but now "doesn't have" ACLs... this doesn't make sense. Where the hell did they go?!
CIA Pop.

superbigtime
06-26-2009, 06:43 PM
It is possible to "not have" an ACL if it is torn and not surgically repaired (like my dad, who runs about 20 miles a week). The torn ligament degenerates because it is not used and the knee adjusts to it. If a torn ACL is repaired, it is done with either an ACL graft from a cadaver or a patellar tendon autograft. But bottom line is when it is repaired you still have an ACL, which is Blair's case. If surgery is successful and the athlete has been playing on it without incident for years, as is the case with Blair since his were repaired in high school, it shouldn't be an issue. It's not an issue anyway, because Blair the Beast didn't miss any games or practices. His knees apparently are not problematic for him at this point. And if a knee becomes problematic, which is the case for so many jumping athletes who have to pivot, then you deal with it at that time. What's the fuss?

Danny.Zhu
06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
My opinion is that, this pick is not a risk just from the Spurs' perspective, who lost two big guys recently, only got the #37 pick and is safe to pick the other 2 targets about the end of the second round.

But for others, who are under rebuild, who are short of wings and guards, who have other alternatives to pick, picking Blair is definitely a risk.

Phenomanul
06-26-2009, 09:49 PM
It is possible to "not have" an ACL if it is torn and not surgically repaired (like my dad, who runs about 20 miles a week). The torn ligament degenerates because it is not used and the knee adjusts to it. If a torn ACL is repaired, it is done with either an ACL graft from a cadaver, a patellar tendon autograft, or a hamstring tendon autograft. But bottom line is when it is repaired you still have an ACL, which is Blair's case. If surgery is successful and the athlete has been playing on it without incident for years, as is the case with Blair since his were repaired in high school, it shouldn't be an issue. It's not an issue anyway, because Blair the Beast didn't miss any games or practices. His knees apparently are not problematic for him at this point. And if a knee becomes problematic, which is the case for so many jumping athletes who have to pivot, then you deal with it at that time. What's the fuss?

fixed...

I had my own hamstring grafted to reconstruct my ACL about 25 days ago... The deal with ACLs is that they are prohibitively difficult for the body to repair (which is why 99% of the time when someone has torn it, and if they don't undergo surgery, they'll just end up without one...). Children who tear an ACL (rare) may end up healing just fine (highly rare for adults)...

Unlike the ACL (or the PCL for that matter) ligaments, tendons have a large supply of blood vessels to help them repair fairly quickly. This is the primary reason why grafting collagen fibers from the tendons to create "new ACLs" has become so popular. In fact, in my case, I don't even feel the initial pain in my hamstring anymore (it used to feel like a muscle tear, which it essentially was)...

Spursmania
06-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Blair the Beast

mudyez
06-27-2009, 04:37 AM
bottom line:

for the Spurs thats barely a gamble...getting a guy like blair at 37th...even if he is a bust (and I'm sure he wont), they haven't lost anything...I'm not sure about his langevity, but all the Spurs have to hope for ar 2 or 3 years...if he can have a 12 year career, that would be great (and I'd hope so for him)...I can understand lotterie teams staying away from him, but how teams like NO, CLE or WAS could pass on him, is beyond my understanding...THIS is a guy, that has a shot at beeing the rookie of the year (I'm not saying he will be, but I think he has as much as a shot as hasheen or hill) and a lot of teams will bite their asses off in about a year, coz they passed on him...furthermore (and thats really important): he is a good boy...a truely spurslike player!

for him, it will turn out to be a good thing for Blair to happen. yeah, its hard right now, but overall the only thing that's not perfect for him is the contract itself (not garanteed...wich it will be soon...and less money)...the situation itself couldn't be better: a chanpionshipcontender with a big hole at his position (even if we sighn Wallace, Dice,...), he will see a lot of minutes), he will have a great coach which appreciates hard working guys like him and perfect teammates which will help him

...add that he will be on a "prov"-mission and its a win/win!

on a side note: did anybody realize, what a nice 3-player compo we might have with hill, mcclinton and blair? hill can make up for mcclintons lack of size and blair will get 2 (off-reb)points for any missed mcclinton 3...ok, maybe I'm too excitet right now, but thats from a guy, that thought about going to bed after the first round, coz he expected absolutely nothing other than getting some stach players that might never show up.
we ended up with a great stach which we might have taken at 37, possible rookie-team guy and an eddie house clone. A++

SenorSpur
06-27-2009, 07:40 AM

and don't forget he's going to be playing with a HUGE chip on his shoulder.

wut
06-27-2009, 08:21 AM
well...as long as that chip on his shoulder doesnt turn on the Spurs when Pop gets tough with him. I'm more worried about that, than how well this kid will play. From all accounts Blair will be perfect for the Spurs... a young big man who likes being physical. I'm sure he'll soak up any defensive advice he gets from Duncan and the Spurs staff.

Capt Bringdown
06-27-2009, 09:02 AM
What kind of minutes do you think he can get from ultraorthodox and rookiephobic Coach Pop?

mookie2001
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
so when was the heaven part?

exstatic
06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
so when was the heaven part?

Heaven is The First Round, I guess.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 11:04 AM
and don't forget he's going to be playing with a HUGE chip on his shoulder.

You are correct, SenorSpur.

That is a boulder on his shoulders!! Lookout for DeJuan!!!!

:flag: