PDA

View Full Version : Lamont "Momo" Jones commits to the University of Arizona

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-26-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/articles/2009/06/26/20090626spt-uajones.html

Thanks for your entire recruiting class USC!!!!

holcs50
06-27-2009, 02:35 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/ua/articles/2009/06/26/20090626spt-uajones.html

Thanks for your entire recruiting class USC!!!!

:lol :toast.

Im pretty amazed that miller has given us a top 15 recruiting class in a matter of a few months. I was pretty depressed at the direction the program was going and it looked like no one wanted the job-Im so glad Miller finally came around-we really aren't going to have many down years at all-I think we have a chance next year to continue the march madness run we got goin. Go Cats

mookie2001
06-27-2009, 08:53 AM
bump on signing day please

arizonas a basketball school though... shouldnt yall be out recruiting USC anyway?

thats like uconn taking a recruit from pitt

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-27-2009, 09:25 AM

arizonas a basketball school though... shouldnt yall be out recruiting USC anyway?

After Lute Olson retired our entire recruiting class decommitted. Sean Miller came in and built a top 15 recruiting class in a month. So to answer your question when we've had a legit coach, we have out recruited USC.

All I've got to say is, thank god Floyd stayed in USC and didn't sign with UA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-27-2009, 09:28 AM
:lol :toast.

Im pretty amazed that miller has given us a top 15 recruiting class in a matter of a few months. I was pretty depressed at the direction the program was going and it looked like no one wanted the job-Im so glad Miller finally came around-we really aren't going to have many down years at all-I think we have a chance next year to continue the march madness run we got goin. Go Cats

Yeah we were supposed to be horrible next year.....now that's going to be USC. They conceivably might not win a game.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Just get Lance Stephenson!!!! I know he's a sexual predator but that's got nothing to do with basketball!!!!

IronMexican
06-27-2009, 04:00 PM
From the people out here, you wouldn't even know Floyd resigned.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-27-2009, 04:02 PM
From the people out here, you wouldn't even know Floyd resigned.

Since he rejected UA's coaching offer he's done more for UA than he has for USC.

IceColdBrewski
06-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Kinda hard to outrecruit Floyd since he was apparently paying good money to get them.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I had no idea there were this many UA people on this site.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-29-2009, 01:01 AM
6'7" PF/C Derrik Williams (3 star recruit on scout, 3 star recruit on Rivals) is the newest commit to U of A for the 2009 season. That brings the recruiting class to five 3 or 4 star recruits, with the potential to land a 6th recruit in Lance Stephenson.

Great work coach Miller!!!!

mookie2001
06-29-2009, 05:46 PM
dont you mean 2010?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-29-2009, 05:56 PM
dont you mean 2010?

A recruit for this coming season, I said 2009 cause it's the 2009 recruiting class.

mookie2001
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
dude how long have you been following recruiting?

basketball 09 signing has come and gone

kids giving verbal "commitments" are still in hs-at least class of 2010 and will enroll in college in 2010 at the earliest

texas has two 5 stars and a 4 signed for 09 and two 5 stars committed for 10

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM

kids giving verbal "commitments" are still in hs-at least class of 2010 and will enroll in college in 2010 at the earliest

I know it has, but that doesn't change the fact UA's two latest recruits are for the upcoming season.

mookie2001
06-29-2009, 06:31 PM
true the class of 2010 will get "recruited" in the calender year of 2009

IceColdBrewski
06-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I had no idea there were this many UA people on this site.

Me and JMarkJohns have been representin' around here for years. What the hell took the rest of you losers so long to come around? :)

holcs50
06-30-2009, 04:09 AM
Me and JMarkJohns have been representin' around here for years. What the hell took the rest of you losers so long to come around? :)

Haha, nice dude. I didn't find spurstalk till last year-just would post on like the espn boards, blah. Went to UA from 2000-2004, Im lucky as hell I got a lot of damn good teams in that span, fuck my freshman year national championship game.....FUCK YOU DUNLEAVY-FUCK YOU DUKE.

Anywho, glad there's a lot of UA bros in here. 5 pretty legit recruits in 2-3 months. WOW. And to mookie, that's why it's so amazing. Most recruits coming in this year had been recruited fall/winter last year. A few bball recruits always hold off, luckily when UA got miller he got his ass to work because we had ZERO recruits cuz they all got out of their commitments when lute "officially" retired last fall. No one wanted to come here because we had an interim coach and not much of a team going forward. Then this season ended and it looked like no coach wanted to come, as UA tried to lure quite a few...we lucked out and got Miller. He somehow squeaked out 3 top 100 guys left (one wanted UA all along-the best recruit-just wanted to see a good coach come), then the USC debacle happened, ha, and we snatched up two of their recruits who got out of their commitments. Amazing what he did. Looks like 26 tourneys in a row is definitely in reach bros! go CATS

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 10:01 AM
holcs50, we need to give Miller more credit for stealing USC recruits. Technically, he stole 3 USC recruits, Solomon Hill was committed to USC at the time Miller was hired :lol

USC is now the team that's going to be horrible this year. They might not win a game.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Also I know Miller doesn't want Stephenson but my view is when you can get a talent like Stephenson you do so.....if his character and attitude become an issue kick his ass off the team or bench him, if Miller got Stephenson and got his attitude straightened up #26 would be all but a guarantee and they'd be competing for a Pac-10 title.

It'll basically be Washington (fuck you Abdul Gaddy) and UCLA competing for the Pac-10 title with UA being the 3rd best team.

JMarkJohns
07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Also I know Miller doesn't want Stephenson but my view is when you can get a talent like Stephenson you do so.....if his character and attitude become an issue kick his ass off the team or bench him, if Miller got Stephenson and got his attitude straightened up #26 would be all but a guarantee and they'd be competing for a Pac-10 title.

It'll basically be Washington (fuck you Abdul Gaddy) and UCLA competing for the Pac-10 title with UA being the 3rd best team.

Stephenson has so many issues I don't think any team without the stench of desperation follwing it around will go near him. Trust me...

This is the 2009 class. There was some interest at one point in Stephenson, but that's long since passed and once the time is right, I'm sure the reasons why will become public. I know several reporters sitting on the story.

Let's just say any school that accepts and then enrolls Stephenson is publically inviting the NCAA in to rummage through all the skeletons in their closet.

JMarkJohns
07-01-2009, 01:53 PM
This class is ranked top-10 and tops in the Pac-10 according to HoopScoop.com. I'll take it, be thrilled with Wise's return and anxiously await the start of UA's season. Arizona's 26th straight NCAA Tournament appearance is there for the taking. The nice thing is Hill and Williams, two of the USC decommits, are already speaking on the topic and are excited to continue the tradition.

JMarkJohns
07-01-2009, 02:00 PM

We'll see if UConn can out-recruit Pitt in the coming years. Calhoun isn't getting any young and is starting to have health issues. Arizona was in this mess because their legandary coach stayed a bit too long, allowing other programs with younger coaches to plant the seeds of doubt in recuits minds.

It's been reported that a handful of prominant coaches used the "Lute will die soon" line against UA recruiting and when Olson took his leave of absense, that was the nail in the coffin.

Arizona lost two years of ground while Lute was out. That's a lot of ground to give up in a top conference. Out of sight, out of mind... Arizona now has to prove that it was more than just Lute while making up the ground lost by Arizona being on its fourth head coach in four years.

So, yes, it is a big deal that Arizona is stealing recruits from big-name schools.

JMarkJohns
07-01-2009, 02:10 PM

DoK is 100% right on this. Both Jones and Williams are 2009 commits to Arizona after being released from the LOIs from USC following the mini-scandal that led to Floyd's buyout.

Arizona now has a player at every position.

Lamont Jones: 4-star scoring PG
Solomon Hill: top-30 pverall player, top-5 SG, Iguodala-type
Kevin Parrom: former 4-star, now 3-star brutish SF
Derrick Williams: Possible 4-star perimeter PF with top-75 potential
Kryle Natayzhko: top-50 PF/C with solid athleticm, post skills and perimeter potential

The class will likely end here, as there is just one remaining scholarship available, and it's rumored Miller is saving it for 2010, when they will only have a guaranteed two slots to hand out, but will over-recruit and hand out three or four. UA has solid ins with a half-dozen top-75 recruits from 2010.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-01-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm sure the reasons why will become public.

The reason already is public. He has his own TV show which might make him ineligible, and he groped a girl he went to HS with :lol

JMarkJohns
07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
There's more to it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
There's more to it.

Then it is probably a good thing they are staying away from him.

With or without him though this recruiting class was better than anyone could have imagined right after Lute retired and everyone de-committed.

JMarkJohns
07-03-2009, 11:42 AM
University of Arizona Basketball, a 2009 recruitment tale...

8/23/07: Abdul Gaddy commits
5/29/08: Abdul Gaddy decommits
6/23/08: Greg Smith commits
7/1/08: Mike Moser commits
7/28/08: Solomon Hill commits
7/29/08: Greg Smith decommits
8/25/08: Reger Dowell commits
9/15/08: Abdul Gaddy recommits
9/29/08: Reger Dowell decommits
10/23/08: Mike Moser decommits
10/24/08: Solomon Hill decommits
10/26/08: Abdul Gaddy re-decommits
2/12/09: Tremayne Johnson commits
4/11/09: Kyryl Natyazhko commits
4/14/09: Solomon Hill recommits
4/26/09: Treymayne Johnson decommits
5/3/09: Kevin Parrom commits
6/24/09: Momo Jones commits
6/28/09: Derrick Williams commits

Total Numbers:

12 Commitments
7 Decommitments

Probably the craziest recruitment for a class ever.

Thank God for Sean Miller. He's turned water into wine...

JMarkJohns
08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
No 2010 commits yet, but Miller has added Sidiki Johnson, a 6-8, 220 pound, 4-Star PF prospect for the class of 2011. Word is he's a relentless rebounder with a solid 15-foot jumper, but needs to work on post moves as he's not a good enough athlete to finish around the rim in heavy traffic. Still, At just 16 years of age, I'm sure Miller will make sure he works on some hooks, ball-fakes and up-n-under moves before stepping foot on campus.

He's a nice pull from New York. With Parrom in 2009 and now Johnson in 2011, it's nice to see Book's NYC connections pay off.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Great pickup, my one concern:

Hopefully Miller doesn't think he can get most of their recruits from NY. If this program is gonna be anything close to a powerhouse, they need to be right up their with UCLA in SoCal recruiting.

JMarkJohns
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Your concern may have some validity as after losing out on Dominque Ferguson, UA's primary 2010 perimeter forward hails from Long Island. Sounds like another great get, but I, like yourself, am starting to get a bit concerned that most of Miller's pulls have been East-Coast kids. Hill was a bi-product of UA's name and location, not because of Miller, necessarily, and same with Williams. Momo, Parrom, Kryle, Johnson and now this 2010 prospect, Odom, are all East Coast/Midwest and they are the "prospects" that Miller has focused on.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
yeah, but he's new enough where I'm even willing to give him a chance, and if he proves me wrong by being able to get great recruits from the east coast, I can't bitch about it.

On a side note, I just moved into my house near campus and after much retardedness from Cox, finally have cable and internet

JMarkJohns
08-10-2009, 10:50 PM
yeah, but he's new enough where I'm even willing to give him a chance, and if he proves me wrong by being able to get great recruits from the east coast, I can't bitch about it.

No doubt, and you cannot fault the man for putting together his assistant staff of Book (really paying off), Whitfield and his brother, Archie, but I always wanted Geary to be kept for his West Coast ties... Can't say I'd have taken him over any of the three, however. Still, more focus needs to be made to keep the pipelines of SoCal and pacific northwest open. I mean, where would Arizona stand without the likes of Geary (SoCal), Damon Stoudamire (Oregon), Simon (SoCal), Terry (Seattle), Arenas (SoCal), Walton (SoCal), Salim Stoudamire (Oregon), Williams (Seattle) and Chase (SoCal)?

On a side note, I just moved into my house near campus and after much retardedness from Cox, finally have cable and internet

I'm up in Flagstaff preparing to start my teaching assistantship and was without cable for four days after moving in. NPG Cable... Hated it, so I understand you frustrations...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-10-2009, 11:19 PM
^Yeah I got Cox, so I won't have to miss every Suns away game this year like I did at the dorms last year. Why the fuck do some cable companies not have UPN?

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 12:22 AM
I think UPN can be broadcast as a local channel, so the Phoenix version which broadcasts the Suns games gets replaced by the local which doesn't.

That's what happened in Yuma for my parents last year. Yuma gets its own local UPN broadcast, per FCC regulations, the out-of-market channel gets replaced.

Sucks.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:29 AM
I think UPN can be broadcast as a local channel, so the Phoenix version which broadcasts the Suns games gets replaced by the local which doesn't.

That's what happened in Yuma for my parents last year. Yuma gets its own local UPN broadcast, per FCC regulations, the out-of-market channel gets replaced.

Sucks.

Yeah, I was fuckin pissed when I realized I didn't get UPN last year, but given last season it was a blessing in disguise. Now I've got NBA TV, so if the Suns suck, there's always classic Lakers vs. Celtics games to watch :lol

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I haven't decided upon my cable package yet. I need to see how much free time I'll have before spending money for channels I'll never get to watch.

I have all the important channels, but would love to get NBA TV, NFL Network (impossible without dish), NHL Network and Vs. I'd like FoxSportsArizonaHD as well.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Just so you know FSNAZ and UA had a fallout of some sort. UA has its own channel now and FSN isn't going to broadcast any UA games unless they're against ASU.

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Hmm... I need to fgure something out, then. Do you know of a state-wide or regionally broadcast station that will e showing UA sports?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Hmm... I need to fgure something out, then. Do you know of a state-wide or regionally broadcast station that will e showing UA sports?

I have no idea, the one station I know of that will be broadcasting all of UA's stuff is UA's station. I know there are certain cable packages where you get all the local sports stations in Cali and AZ, including UA's station.

On a different not, what are realistic expectations for football this year? I know the defense is gonna be good with all the starters back, but will they still be better than ASU?

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 01:09 AM
ASU has more questions, but have a better couple of classes under Erickson than UA has pulled the last few years, so they have talent. Erickson is also a better coach than Stoops. UA will kill it this year on defense and have the most talented player on offense of either team (Gronk), so UA should be right there. I'll say if Antolin and Grigsby can shoulder the offense early, then UA should develop quicker thanks to Gronk being a young QB's best friend, and the defense of UA being top-3 in the Pac-10, more than likely.

UA has a tough road schedule this year, with Oregon State, Cal, USC and ASU all coming on the road. That's going to be a rough go to just break even. They need to win the toss-up home games vs. Stanford, Oregon and UCLA.

My guess is they finish 6-6...

Sept. 5, 2009 Central Michigan - Win
Sept. 12, 2009 Northern Arizona - Win
Sept. 19, 2009 at Iowa - Loss
Sept. 26, 2009 at Oregon State - Loss
Oct. 10, 2009 at Washington - Win
Oct. 17, 2009 Stanford - Win
Oct. 24, 2009 UCLA - Loss
Nov. 7, 2009 Wash. St. - Win
Nov. 14, 2009 at California - Loss
Nov. 21, 2009 Oregon - Win
Nov. 28, 2009 at Arizona State - Loss
Dec. 5, 2009 at USC - Loss

I count three very likely wins, four very likely losses and five toss-up games, most of which come at home. A record of 6-6 is likely with a +/- of 2 (wins) and 1 (loss).

I think UA finishes with a better record overall than ASU, and as for the head-to-head match up, whichever QB is playing better will determine the outcome. I think it will be Scott (should he hold off Foles) for UA. ASU's hardest games (for the most part) are at home vs. USC, Cal and Oregon State. So their toss-up games are on the road, which makes them that much tougher. I think a record of 5-7 with a +/- of 2/1 for ASU makes sense to me.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:19 AM
I figured Gronk is gonna need a huge season to help carry the offense since Thomas and Tuitama are gone, hopefully they get another bowl game and beat ASU again, that's all I really expect for football since I know ASU is gonna fall back to earth with basketball this year, and it'll be a nasty fall.

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 01:22 AM
It'll be tough to get to a bowl game without a significant road win with their 6-6 record or a 7-5 record. Both will be difficult.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 01:30 AM
Yeah hopefully they somehow pull off an impressive road win, as bad as Rudy Carpenter was I'm hoping ASU's new QB is worse.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
08-11-2009, 10:49 AM
NFL Network (impossible without dish)

I thought so too but almost all cable companies have packages with NFL network now (I think that Patriots Giants game caused this). I know NFL Sunday Ticket is impossible w/o dish, but the way it worked with me is Cox had certain groups of channels we could get for free, and we chose the sports group, which had NFL network.

JMarkJohns
08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Interesting...

BTW, there's yet another 6-7 PF from NY coming to visit UA soon. Very good prospect, but there's a pretty serious trend in all of Miller's PF prospects.

JMarkJohns
10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Interesting...

BTW, there's yet another 6-7 PF from NY coming to visit UA soon. Very good prospect, but there's a pretty serious trend in all of Miller's PF prospects.

So, this prospect, Rod Odom, has committed to Arizona today. 6-7/6-8, 195 pounds, he's a comboforward with good athleticism, solid dribble-drive ability and a very good set shot out to 3-point range. He's a year young for his class, so there's a chance he still grows some more. Best part about this prospect is his smarts, as he was recruited by Harvard and offered a substantial fin-aid package by them, so he's got some brains about him!

On to Daniel Bejarano! Nice start...