PDA

View Full Version : RC saying we would be more selective in FA

bless1187
06-26-2009, 08:17 PM
after acquire D. Blair, RC stated that D. Blair is penciled in to contribute 20 mpg, and his acquisition would allow us to be more selective in this coming free agency. i really have no idea what he meant by this; does it mean that he wants a different variation of style of big man on the roster; or does it mean that we won't be held by ransom for a particular FA's demand of salary since we now have a bit more depth.

the only big man who i think we should look at are:

Z. Pachulia: 25 years old: a big body, decent offensive game, and decent rebounder; but doesn't really block lots of shot. my personal opinion is that with the same amount of money i would rather resign D. Gooden.

A. McDyess: 34 years old: not the biggest player available. decent offensive game with a consistent midrange J, good rebounder, good defender; but doesn't block lot of shots. my personal opinion is that it will be well spent if we sign him to a 2 year MLE contract; but the worry is how much he has left in the tank.

R. Wallace: 34 years old: a big long player, good offensive game with post move and could also hit the 3s, decent rebounder, good defender, and decent shot blocker. my personal opinion is that he's the best fit on the current team, and the money spent will be worth it; but the worry is that he's a bit of a head case and how much he has left in the tank.

M. Gortat: 25 years old: a big body. good rebounder, good defender, and good shot blocker, but doesn't have a offensive game. my personal opinion is that he should be a good fit with his defense and rebounding, but i don't know about spending the full MLE on someone with no offensive game to speak of, but i would definitely take him over Z. Pachulia.

These are the only 4 acquirable big man who i think will provide us with an improvement. 1.) R. Wallace 2.) A. McDyess 3.) M. Gortat 4.) Z. Pachulia

ploto
06-26-2009, 08:21 PM
after acquire D. Blair, RC stated that D. Blair is penciled in to contribute 20 mpg, and his acquisition would allow us to be more selective in this coming free agency. i really have no idea what he meant by this; does it mean that he wants a different variation of style of big man on the roster; or does it mean that we won't be held by ransom for a particular FA's demand of salary since we now have a bit more depth.

Means to me they are going to look for a cheap traditional veteran center to go with the group they have.

tmtcsc
06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know. I think it means that they can now go after a player (Rasheed Wallace) that can spread the floor and shoot the 3. We have a rebounder and a banger in Blair.

Tully365
06-26-2009, 08:25 PM
When did RC say this? It sounds very out of character for the usually cautious RC to say something like a draft pick is penciled in to play 20 mpg.

EricB
06-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Means to me they are going to look for a cheap traditional veteran center to go with the group they have.

Wrong again.

EricB
06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
It means he wants a shooting big that can defend. Like Wallace. In my opinion Dice is good, but I don't think he is what we need.

Agreed.

Behrooz24
06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
It means they got their garbage man big that can play along w/TD. Now they can focus on other needs.

20 mpg :toast. Gonna be fun to watch.

TheProfessor
06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
My God you are bitter.

sexinthatsx
06-26-2009, 08:33 PM

That's ridiculous... it doesn't make sense to look for a cheap veteran if we have the MLE to spend. If we traded for Jefferson, and now that we have a damn good PF in Dejuan Blair and an awesome backup in James Gist it's clear that the spurs are trying to stack the team to win this upcoming season. As far as the selectivity goes in FA, I am speculating that we have all the offensive firepower we need and if we were to sign a big man, it would be someone who is known for his shot-blocking, defensive/offensive rebounding and help on the defensive end - someone like Marcus Camby, Mcdyess, or of that sort.

ploto
06-26-2009, 08:35 PM
What? They need a traditional center to match up with the likes of the Lakers and the Rockets, but they are not going to spend alot because they are over the luxury tax, and this person will only play spot minutes for particular match-ups. It seems unlikely they will fork out big bucks for someone expecting to play alot of minutes when they want to develop Blair and Ian, and they still have Bonner who can spread the floor. Now if they trade Bonner, then they will need a big man who can spread the floor, but that is not their biggest need right now. They need a veteran who will not gripe about playing time, who will mentor young guys, and who come for the minimum. A MLE player will cost them about $11M this season.

ploto
06-26-2009, 08:38 PM
if we were to sign a big man, it would be someone who is known for his shot-blocking, defensive/offensive rebounding and help on the defensive end - someone like Marcus Camby.

Camby is not a FA.

bless1187
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
i think if we want to sign someone, it got to be someone who is a notch above D. Blair, I. Mahinmi, or M. Bonner.

DPG21920
06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
What? They need a traditional center to match up with the likes of the Lakers and the Rockets, but they are not going to spend alot because they are over the luxury tax, and this person will only play spot minutes for particular match-ups. It seems unlikely they will fork out big bucks for someone expecting to play alot of minutes when they want to develop Blair and Ian, and they still have Bonner who can spread the floor. Now if they trade Bonner, then they will need a big man who can spread the floor, but that is not their biggest need right now. They need a veteran who will not gripe about playing time, who will mentor young guys, and who come for the minimum. A MLE player will cost them about $11M this season.

If the Spurs use the MLE will you shut up?

sexinthatsx
06-26-2009, 08:42 PM

That's where I disagree. Like I said, if the spurs made the move to get richard jefferson, and especially now that they have Dejuan Blair, they have a "win now" mentality a.k.a lakers circa the 2000's, celtics in 2007, etc. It doesn't matter if we're over the luxury tax. The Spurs will do what they have to to ENSURE that Tim Duncan will get his 5th ring.

Edit: Why waste time in developing Ian when our window of opportunity is right in front of our eyes?

FromWayDowntown
06-26-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure this means that the Spurs' only FA target is Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

itzsoweezee
06-26-2009, 09:03 PM
gortat can score. he's more "skilled" than dwight howard. did you not watch any of the magic playoff games?

can everyone please stop mentioning bonner? that guy should be dead to us. fucking pussy. any scheme where bonner is expected to play even a minor part = certain failure.

picnroll
06-26-2009, 09:04 PM

There going all in for a championship and Holt's said he'll foot the bill. They were willing to go after Carter and he'd cost as much as Jefferson and Wallace combined.

FromWayDowntown
06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I think that one possible interpretation of RC's comments is that the Spurs have a few chips that can be cashed in through trades and that the Spurs don't necessarily have to settle for whatever they can get in FA and might be able to further remake the squad through acquiring some particular free agent, through trading for some particular player, or both.

boutons_deux
06-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Gortat isn't needed for scoring, if does everything else they say.

alchemist
06-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Gortat would be my priority, but seeing as though the Magic aren't keeping Hedo we might just have to settle on Wallace.

Russ
06-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Camby is not a FA.

But he is almost certain to be unloaded for less value by the Clippers. He also has a one year expiring contract (so Splitter can step right in next year).

angelbelow
06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
lol ploto. just worry about your own team.

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 10:22 PM
lol ploto. just worry about your own team.

Exactly. It's not like she's a Spurs fan, folks. She only sticks around to piss on anything that's remotely positive. I was going to suggest that RC's comments suggested they might be thinking of bringing Rasho back, but now I'm really hoping against it because I don't want Ploto jumping back on the bandwagon.

EricB
06-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Exactly. It's not like she's a Spurs fan, folks. She only sticks around to piss on anything that's remotely positive. I was going to suggest that RC's comments suggested they might be thinking of bringing Rasho back, but now I'm really hoping against it because I don't want Ploto jumping back on the bandwagon.

:lmao

Grand slam

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Y'all have to understand that ploto is going to be on her period for the rest of the off-season unless the Spurs end up with Gortat, Rasho, or Jeff Foster at center. They're going to hell if they get 'Sheed, Dice, Camby, etc. I'll leave the connecting of the dots on what those two groups of players have in common as a mental exercise.

EricB
06-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Y'all have to understand that ploto is going to be on her period for the rest of the off-season unless the Spurs end up with Gortat, Rasho, or Jeff Foster at center. They're going to hell if they get 'Sheed, Dice, Camby, etc. I'll leave the connecting of the dots on what those two groups of players have in common as a mental exercise.

Hmm....

One group has actually been to the Finals from their contributions and the other group were nut huggers all the way there?

NewJerSpur
06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I wonder if the Blair drafting has made Gooden an afterthought at this point?

Obstructed_View
06-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I wonder if the Blair drafting has made Gooden an afterthought at this point?

I don't know. I'd take Gooden and someone cheap like Rasho to fill out the big rotation if it looks like Rasheed or Gortat are going to be too much of a risk.

EricB
06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd go after Camby first before Gooden and Rasho.

NewJerSpur
06-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't know. I'd take Gooden and someone cheap like Rasho to fill out the big rotation if it looks like Rasheed or Gortat are going to be too much of a risk.

Just kind of interesting how Blair's drafting, although relatively fresh, quieted a lot of the talk about Gooden. Although it would fit wth the offensive theme we've had this far this offseason, I think we need to get stronger with our defense around the rim, but regardless we're going to need more depth. If only we knew what we were going to get from Ian.

bless1187
06-26-2009, 10:59 PM
WTF, why do we even want Rasho back?!?!

bigdog
06-26-2009, 10:59 PM

Because he would be cheap, solid signing for a backup big.

bless1187
06-26-2009, 11:04 PM

we already have our backup bigs in D. Blair and I. Mahnimi

NewJerSpur
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM

How often has this statement been made to this point?

EricB
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM

A rookie thats never played in the league and a center whos played a total of 6 games in two years.

Yeah really reliable...

itzsoweezee
06-26-2009, 11:48 PM

who gives a shit that he'd be cheap? there's a reason he'd be cheap. he fucking sucks. which goes to your second point, there's nothing solid about that scrub.

the spurs can do much better than that nesterobitch. and i don't give a shit that he knows popovich's "system". some system. give me someone with talent.

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2009, 11:55 PM
who gives a shit that he'd be cheap? there's a reason he'd be cheap. he fucking sucks. which goes to your second point, there's nothing solid about that scrub.

the spurs can do much better than that nesterobitch. and i don't give a shit that he knows popovich's "system". some system. give me someone with talent.

fail.

EricB
06-27-2009, 12:06 AM

Wrong and fail.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Just kind of interesting how Blair's drafting, although relatively fresh, quieted a lot of the talk about Gooden. Although it would fit wth the offensive theme we've had this far this offseason, I think we need to get stronger with our defense around the rim, but regardless we're going to need more depth. If only we knew what we were going to get from Ian.

Blair and McClinton's draft makes Gooden more palatable because the Spurs have other guys who can play good one on one defense, and with Gooden, the Spurs make up for any drop off in defense with a huge surge in rebounding and scoring.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 01:25 AM

He's a very good defender, a very good shot blocker, a big body, and despite what you say, he knows the system. For the minimum there's not anybody better out there. You gotta pay for talent. Where's the money coming from?

NewJerSpur
06-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Blair and McClinton's draft makes Gooden more palatable because the Spurs have other guys who can play good one on one defense, and with Gooden, the Spurs make up for any drop off in defense with a huge surge in rebounding and scoring.

Hadn't heard much about either of them on the defensive end....are they that good one-on-one?

I agree with the last point that the focus has been geared more towards putting the ball in the basket thus far this offseason (which will be a necessity against teams like the Lakers) and giving Tim help on the boards to help us better map our course through the new western landscapre.

jjktkk
06-27-2009, 01:37 AM

Sure, lets just snap our fingers and wait for Dwight Howard to show up. Maybe we can even get Pao Gasol too. :rolleyes

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2009, 01:37 AM
any big that signs with us, is sheed a starter spot since theres no competition on the roster for that starter spot unless duncan decides to move to the 5

NewJerSpur
06-27-2009, 01:45 AM
I want Gortat...I've said that since the beginning. Tall, can score about 6-8 pts a game, can rebound, and block shots....he could take the pressure off of Tim Duncan and be the true center the Spurs have been missing since 5-0 retired.

Yeah, I'm mainly intrigued by the fact that he can block/contest shots at the rim without fouling and is pretty good within the pick and role.

InK
06-27-2009, 01:48 AM

It does sound like that. But a lot of other things were said in the last week as well which suggest MLE will be used. If there was ever a time the spurs needed to use it, it's now, but i wouldn't be shocked if they don't.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Hadn't heard much about either of them on the defensive end....are they that good one-on-one?

I agree with the last point that the focus has been geared more towards putting the ball in the basket thus far this offseason (which will be a necessity against teams like the Lakers) and giving Tim help on the boards to help us better map our course through the new western landscapre.

I think RC said McClinton is a great defender, and Blair's a big body with long arms who can rebound. Gooden can rebound and can score. With those guys plus players like Hill and hopefully Gist and Hairston the Spurs are suddenly a team that's loaded with guys that can really defend and can also get rebounds. That takes a lot of pressure off if Gooden is indeed as clueless a defender as LJ seems to think he is.

EricB
06-27-2009, 01:50 AM
I think RC said McClinton is a great defender, and Blair's a big body with long arms who can rebound. Gooden can rebound and can score. With those guys plus players like Hill and hopefully Gist and Hairston the Spurs are suddenly a team that's loaded with guys that can really defend and can also get rebounds. That takes a lot of pressure off if Gooden is indeed as clueless a defender as LJ seems to think he is.

He's not the only one that things that.

Lots of people think that.

Duncan2177
06-27-2009, 03:04 AM

I agree i don't want frankenstein back on the spurs he's soft, I can remember a few years ago when just about every spurs fan wanted him traded.:lol

EricB
06-27-2009, 03:11 AM
I agree i don't want frankenstein back on the spurs he's soft, I can remember a few years ago when just about every spurs fan wanted him traded.:lol

Because of his contract not cause of his play.

hes a fantastic defensive center and the offense ran really well with him there due to his great screens.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 03:53 AM

Because he cost too much money, especially after Pop went to smallball 100 percent of the time against Dallas. Since he's now seemed to have come to his senses, Rasho for the minimum is a great deal.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 03:53 AM
He's not the only one that things that.

Lots of people think that.

A couple of people think that, but those people think that mostly because LJ thinks that.

ploto
06-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Y'all have to understand that ploto is going to be on her period for the rest of the off-season unless the Spurs end up with Gortat, Rasho, or Jeff Foster at center. They're going to hell if they get 'Sheed, Dice, Camby, etc.

Indiana would never trade Jeff; Gortat is majorly overrated, and Rasho probably has very little interest in coming back to SA. For extra measure- I have no clue why people are so in love with the idea of Zaza and Chris's best days are long behind him.

Dice would be the best option but he seems to be staying put. Camby is not a FA, and anyone who watched Rasheed play as much as I did last year saw a fat, out of shape, lazy, disinterested guy. Find Rasheed of 2005 and we'll talk, but I have no interest in the Spurs acquiring Rasheed of 2009. If they could trade for Camby, it would be great, but I doubt that happens. His contract is expiring anyway, so what good would it benefit them to trade him unless they got back talent; like anyone would trade Camby's expiring contract for Matt Bonner. We'd have to fork out picks and dough to even get someone to consider the assets we have in exchange for Camby's expiring deal and I still don't see it happening.

SenorSpur
06-27-2009, 07:24 AM
after acquire D. Blair, RC stated that D. Blair is penciled in to contribute 20 mpg, and his acquisition would allow us to be more selective in this coming free agency.

I guess that means that Blair wont spend any time in Austin at all. :lol

SenorSpur
06-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm pretty sure this means that the Spurs' only FA target is Pops Mensah-Bonsu. :lol

wut
06-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Well you could take RC's comments in a lot of ways, but the way I read his statement is this: "We got lucky and got a decent talent for backup center, we're looking for a starting center and we're on a budget...knowing that the backup center position is filled helps us know exactly how much money we have to work with, and should help us negotiate for the player we need."

In other words the Spurs FO is doing better than they expected...and they're trying not to act like a fat kid in a candy store.

At least that's the way I read RC's comments. :lol

wildbill2u
06-27-2009, 09:15 AM

:tu. right on. With Jefferson's ability AND SALARY already on board--and a pretty fair group in the wings (Ian, Gist, etc) and a good draft, they ain't going to buy into high dollar superstar free agents.

Rasho, come home. All is forgiven.

Biggems
06-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I still wish we would have drafted Ahmad Nivins as well. Then if we added Wallace via FA....

C - Wallace, Mahimni, Bonner
PF - Duncan, Blair, Nivins
SF - Jefferson, Gist, Williams
SG - Mason, Manu, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill, McClinton