PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Barry's basket rescues Spurs

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 03:40 AM
Guard hits layup with 6.7 seconds left to beat Lakers
Web Posted: 04/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040305.1C.BKNspurs.lakers.gamer.19dd7cdcb.html

With the sellout crowd of 18,797 on its feet and a single point separating the Spurs from the Los Angeles Lakers, Rasho Nesterovic put the ball in Brent Barry's hands late Saturday and hoped for the best.

The two had tried connecting on a similar handoff two weeks earlier only to have Barry drive into a crowd of defenders. This time as Barry strode toward the rim, he had only one thought.

If I don't make this, coach is going to be really mad at Rasho for handing it to me.

Barry rescued not only Nesterovic, but also everyone else wearing a Spurs uniform. He barreled through Lakers forward Caron Butler and twisted in the go-ahead layup with 6.7 seconds remaining. After Kobe Bryant rimmed out a jump shot at the buzzer, the Spurs danced off the SBC Center floor with a 95-94 victory.

"We've been working hard trying to hold the fort until we get some guys back," Barry said. "And the way we've been working, we deserve to have a couple bounces go our way."

One night after being run out of Denver, the Spurs pieced together their fourth victory since losing Tim Duncan and Devin Brown. All four have come in the comfort of the SBC Center, where they are 35-3 and assured of the best home record in franchise history.

Barry led with 20 points and four 3-pointers. Tony Parker distributed nine assists and scored seven of his 17 points in the final 5:05. Manu Ginobili, grinding on heavy legs, had eight points, six assists and eight rebounds.

Bruce Bowen limited Bryant to 15 points on 6-of-19 shooting. Robert Horry contributed 13 points, eight rebounds and one well-timed block.

"The team showed tremendous heart," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Less than 24 hours earlier, the Spurs suffered through their worst shooting performance of the season while losing 102-84 in Denver. After landing at San Antonio International Airport at 3:30 a.m., they spent half of the first quarter rubbing the sleep from their eyes.

Ginobili, without a single defender within 3 feet, dribbled the ball off his knee out of bounds. The rest of the Spurs' first six possessions were just as productive as the Lakers ran off the game's first 11 points.

Horry and Barry helped shoot the Spurs out their coma, although the team's fatigue showed itself in other ways: In the first 15 minutes, Los Angeles took 10 offensive rebounds and scored 13 second-chance points.

Ginobili looked particularly worn. In addition to missing eight of his 12 shots, he committed seven turnovers. He scrapped through it all, drew three charges and produced a critical steal that led to a 3-pointer from Parker after the Lakers had gone ahead 88-84 with less than six minutes remaining.

"Manu is probably the finest competitor I've ever been around," Popovich said. "He doesn't quit. He just keeps going."

Ginobili drove baseline for a finger roll to put the Spurs ahead 91-90 with 2:59 remaining. Parker extended the lead with a 17-foot fadeaway that he watched drop from the seat of his shorts.

After Brian Grant pulled the Lakers within a point, Butler looked ready to give them the lead when he drove to the rim. At the last instant, Horry flashed in front of him and swatted the ball all the way past the 3-point line.

Butler got even on the Spurs' next possession. Ginobili lost his dribble while trying to curl around Nesterovic's screen and the Lakers forward scooped up the ball, turning the turnover into a one-point lead with 14.3 seconds left.

After the Spurs used a pair of timeouts, Nesterovic caught the ensuing inbounds pass on the right wing. Ginobili was the play's first option, but Nesterovic handed the ball to Barry as he cut through the lane.

"I saw him running like crazy," Nesterovic said, "so I figured something must really be open behind me."

Barry ran into Butler, who fell to the ground. The collision gave Barry the separation he needed to bank in the runner.

"I thought it was a charge," said Lakers coach Frank Hamblen. "All of Ginobili's flops early in the game become important at the end of the game when that happens."

The Lakers, who fell 71/2 games behind the Western Conference's final playoff spot, still had one final shot. The Spurs switched on Los Angeles' pick-and-roll, leaving Horry in front of Bryant. Instead of trying to take the ball to the rim, Bryant pump-faked Horry off his feet and raised up from 18 feet.

The shot clanged off the side of the rim. Bryant turned and walked off the court as the Spurs celebrated behind him.

T Park
04-03-2005, 03:47 AM
"I thought it was a charge," said Lakers coach Frank Hamblen. "All of Ginobili's flops early in the game become important at the end of the game when that happens."

watch the tape, your man didnt even have even close to resembling defensive stance.

Its called a blocking foul.

Manu's flopping??

God, lose the hate.

Once again, good to see Pop doesn't pull BS like that.

Slomo
04-03-2005, 03:54 AM
If I don't make this, coach is going to be really mad at Rasho for handing it to me.
:lmao

xcoriate
04-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Meh Manu does flop quite a bit, I havent seen this game so I don't know the circumstances but I know Manu likes to flop, bet hey its in the rules its good D.

Frenchise player
04-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Barry led with 20 points and four 3-pointers. Tony Parker distributed nine assists and scored seven of his 17 points in the final 5:05.
I thought Tony was a 3/4 player.

Lady M
04-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I thought Tony was a 3/4 player.
I feel some grudge no :elephant :rollin

stéphane
04-03-2005, 08:38 AM
watch the tape, your man didnt even have even close to resembling defensive stance.

Its called a blocking foul.

Manu's flopping??

God, lose the hate.

Once again, good to see Pop doesn't pull BS like that.
true true and true no way the ref can call a charge on barry, defender was moving and nearly jumped in front of brent... was wondering why the ref didn't call.... a foul on the def...

exstatic
04-03-2005, 09:39 AM
was wondering why the ref didn't call.... a foul on the def...

I think he might have if the ball didn't drop.

Walton Buys Off Me
04-03-2005, 09:59 AM
I think Bill Paxton's character in 'True Lies' was based on Frank Hamblen. If one really wants to see just how far the mighty have fallen, check out the used car salesman coach behind the bench with the 24-hour-drunk 'open mouth' and the cheap gameshow host suits.

Eat a dick Hamblen.

Jimcs50
04-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I think Barry was expecting to hear the whistle, but to his credit, he stayed with the play rather than just toss something at the rim waiting for the whistle to bail him out, he concentrated on making the very tough shot.

Barry has turned the corner my friends, and he will be huge come playoffs.

boutons
04-03-2005, 10:55 AM
"he concentrated on making the very tough shot"

A key to finishing is to "shoot" the layups, not just throw up there like so many weak finishers do, eg, Hedo (he seemed to be so thrilled to get through the flak that "shooting" the ball was the least of his concerns). You see a lot of great finishers like Kobe, AllenI, and Shawn M hanging a bit to compose the shot before releasing. Brent shot his winner. A great clutch effort. His confidence and the Spurs confidence in him is growing.

Jimcs50
04-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Yes, Barry is a great shooter....his confidence now will be off the charts, and even more importantly, his teammates' confidence in his will be greatly elevated.

MI21
04-03-2005, 11:14 AM
T-Park, you only need to watch 5 Spurs games to know Manu flops, and is very good at it. He is adept at drawing charges that are there, one of the very best at it actually, but he does flop a lot. Bowen, Parker and Horry are all good at it too.

Jimcs50
04-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Spurs are the best floppers in the League, they all follow in the footsteps of DRob who was the king of floppers.

spursfaninla
04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
I think Vlade is actually the king of floppers, no contest. Manu is pretty good, I give you that.

I don't remember Drob flopping particularly often, but when he did he was sliding back flat on his back, totally square to the defender.

smeagol
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
After Brian Grant pulled the Lakers within a point, Butler looked ready to give them the lead when he drove to the rim. At the last instant, Horry flashed in front of him and swatted the ball all the way past the 3-point line.
This was the play of the game, IMO.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-03-2005, 12:15 PM
"I saw him running like crazy," Nesterovic said, "so I figured something must really be open behind me."

:lol

You know, they don't interview Rasho very often but when they do he usually has a good one like this to say.

Oh, and someone send Frank Hamblin a pacifier. Just because you can't coach your way out of a paper bag doesn't mean you have the right to whine like Kobe's Colorado girlfriend on that.

cherylsteele
04-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Spurs are the best floppers in the League, they all follow in the footsteps of DRob who was the king of floppers.

DRob was a flopper???

That's a new one on me!! :rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-03-2005, 01:21 PM
DRob was a flopper???

That's a new one on me!! :rolleyes

His nickname by all Laker fan was David Flopinson...the dude took my charges than any cebter in history, and most were flops. He kept getting the calls so he kept doing it, smart bball.

blackbucket
04-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Floppy Divac is still the king. Dude could do it with camels hanging out of his mouth and not lose an ash.

slayermin
04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
The king of floppers is Malone.

whottt
04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Dunno why everyone acts like flopping is a bad thing...it's a skill like anything else and makes the game a tad more challenging and unpredicatable. It's a part of the game that is here to stay so you might as well accept it and learn to appreciate those that are skilled at doing it...

Yes, Manu is a flopper and he is good at it and I am glad!
Yes, Drob was a flopper and he was good at it and I am glad.

No! Drob was not the king of floppers...that label most definitely belongs to Vlade Divac!

Yes Frank Hamblen is an idiot because if Vlade and Derek Fisher have been members of your team recently you sound like a complete and total excuse making whiner when you mention another team flopping.

Derek Fisher is the preeminient flopper in the NBA right now....I can only hope Manu will one day master it as well as Fisher has.

Useruser666
04-03-2005, 05:51 PM
:lol Whottt

Sonia_TX
04-03-2005, 08:27 PM
I recorded last nights winning basket with my digital camera... I thought I'd share.

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2D7EPY8FZ5QM12Q7QQCT9A977Y