PDA

View Full Version : Nowadays, who can be compared with MJ?

Rapper
06-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Usher? backstreet boys? Akon? Justin timberlake?

BRHornet45
06-27-2009, 07:54 AM
son I would have to say 5th Ward Weebie or Juvenile

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2009, 09:23 AM
none of the singers today have that sort of impact like MJ, whether its record sales or charity work...

i think either one of them big bands could make a case...but thats about it...

sonic21
06-27-2009, 09:59 AM
nobody

Wild Cobra
06-27-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not aware of any other pedophiles that people like, so I agree with Sonic.

Nobody!

florige
06-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I think Usher came close with his dance moves. But other than that, no one today comes close. Name wise and star power in the music industry now since MJ has passed probably has to go to Brittany Spears. I know it;s not close to the star power MJ commanded, but who else is there?

Heath Ledger
06-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Earthworms?

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2009, 12:00 PM
madonna could make a case for herself....material girl :D:D

CuckingFunt
06-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Madonna. And maybe Bono. But I think even those are a stretch.

whottt
06-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Right now?

Madonna, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez are the only 3 really in his stratosphere.

Jennifer Lopez about 5 years ago probably comes closest to MJ.

When Madonna kicks it there'll be similar reaction as there was to Jackson's death(unless she kicks it when she's 80 or so).

BlackSwordsMan
06-27-2009, 01:57 PM
lady gaga

phyzik
06-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Capretta

IjREbIMddkM

:lmao

David Bowie
06-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I hate to say it, but maybe Britanny Spears (right now)

She has kind of followed MJ's path. She had a bunch of hits when she first came out, was a good dancer, etc. However, the media has made a circus of her life in recent years. But, nobody can draw the attention of the media like she can. And she is recognized all over the world.

As far as longevity, probably Madonna. She has been very famoues for almost three decades, and she is very talanted and innovative. However, there just isn't that much contaversy that surrounds her these days.

lefty
06-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Usher? backstreet boys? Akon? Justin timberlake?

WTF ? :donkey

None of those amateurs

xtremesteven33
06-27-2009, 03:11 PM
There will never be another MJ, but if i HAD to chose one it would probably be Britney Spears....

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
The question is a bit absurd insofar as Michael Jackson is among the elite of the elite of the elite in his field -- a transcendant presence that will carry on for a very, very long time. Honestly, when I think of someone on Michael Jackson's "level," I think of people like John Lennon. Of those who are still alive, Paul McCartney, Madonna, or Bob Dylan comes closest as an individual performer in my mind; U2 is a worthwhile comparison and if you're just talking about the entertainment part of the equation, I think the Rolling Stones might be worthy of inclusion in the conversation.

It's hard to find comparisons with someone rightly called "The King" of anything.

Frenzy
06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
no one...

You go to some no name country in a cave and they would most likely know about mj or what he's done. Can't say that about anyone else....at least at the present time.

lefty
06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
There will never be another MJ, but if i HAD to chose one it would probably be Britney Spears....
:lmao

baseline bum
06-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Calvin Murphy or Roman Polanski.

monosylab1k
06-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Mark Chmura

dirk4mvp
06-27-2009, 08:09 PM
lady gaga

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_709-UY_kyd8/SZOjKuYYbII/AAAAAAAAARM/Nh2RzotbsI0/s400/dat-ass.jpg

phyzik
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
I honestly dont think anyone comes close to the popularity of Michael. You go to Kenya or some other out of the way area and mention Michael and practically everyone will know instantly who you are talking about. I dont think ANYONE else has THAT kind of name.

Jacob1983
06-27-2009, 10:54 PM
No one. Michael Jackson was as popular as Elvis and The Beatles. Billions of people on this planet have heard of Michael Jackson. MJ may have been a little weird but he was a very successful, talented, and popular singer. I'm not sure if there will be another singer as iconic and popular like him for a long time.

florige
06-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Right now?

Madonna, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez are the only 3 really in his stratosphere.

When Madonna kicks it there'll be similar reaction as there was to Jackson's death(unless she kicks it when she's 80 or so).

Whottt do you remember the media hoopla with Britney Spears just last year? If that girl would get her shit straight she could be on Jackson's level. People love/loved that girl.

Udokafan05
06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
As a country music fan, Taylor Swift seems to be transforming country music and is making a huge fan base, and by the end of her careeer she might be bigger than Reba.

Fillmoe
06-28-2009, 12:27 AM

wtf? :wow

whottt
06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Whottt do you remember the media hoopla with Britney Spears just last year? If that girl would get her shit straight she could be on Jackson's level. People love/loved that girl.

They also hate her.

Britney is a good choice too...but I think musically Jennifer Lopez probably comes the cloest as far as star power. And Madonna...

Really the three people that come the closest to him in terms of just phenomenal stardom and media frenzy are not musicians...

I'd say the 3 that truly come closest in recent memory are Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and Tom Cruise. Maybe Alex Rodriguez.

With LeBron James on his way.

The bottom line is that once these guys reach a certain point, stories start appearing about how weird they are...they become every bit as hated, or envied as they are loved, ripped for not being as perfect as their image would indicate.

People start looking for the flaws to prove these people don't really deserve their success.

Jackson probably got the worst of it because his face was legitimately fucked up for whatever reason...maybe he did really want to look white to an extent, maybe he felt it would him crossover to other audiences and have a greater success.

I don't know that he got it worse than Presley did though, Presley got shrededd for being fat.

But with these guys, when they are successful people they beat the critics and people love them and if they flop people rip them to shreds, it's a war and the star seldom comes out on top...but none of them seem to be particularly enjoying their lives at that level of fame, even when they do win...and the only one ones that level that seem to go out on top, are the ones that die.

TheMACHINE
06-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Britney Spears is the closet since Michael Jackson.

Heck even Justin Timberlake maybe

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:17 AM
Britney Spears is the closet since Michael Jackson.

Heck even Justin Timberlake maybe

This explains so much.

v2freak
06-28-2009, 03:16 AM
I can tell Justin Timberlake is really trying. The high voice (with NSync it was just nasal, but now it's high and nasal), the longass videos ("What Goes Around" or whatever) and the flamboyant dance moves tip me off.

Still, there is only one Michael Jackson. I can't stand Timberlake's songs, his style of singing or that he is incapable of singing about anything other than sex or loss (common, I know but still).

greywheel
06-28-2009, 06:47 AM
I'd say the 3 that truly come closest in recent memory are Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and Tom Cruise. Maybe Alex Rodriguez.

Jordan is usually the first person I think of when someone says "MJ". It probably will be again in a few months.

PM5K
06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Nobody really compares, that's why they still call him The King Of Pop.

I'm sure there's a writer out there somewhere that's itching to write an article about some artist out there entitled: The New King Of Pop, but he hasn't been able to.

(Ok I lied someone has actually written an article with that title, but that writer was wrong)

1Parker1
06-28-2009, 10:46 AM
:lol Justin Timberlake could be considered the "White" MJ...but I guess if you considered MJ white then....

jman3000
06-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Most of them are flashes in the pan.

Maybe JT if he lasts another 20 years... but he hasn't had an album that's gotten even 1/5 the sales of Thriller.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Just because Justin Timberlake was heavily influenced by MJ doesn't mean he's the next MJ. You see it in his videos and hear it in his music, but that doesn't mean he's halfway as good as MJ was when he started.

Don't get me wrong, I actually like Timberlake's albumns as solid pop albums, but to even compare him to MJ other than the obvious influence is a fucking joke.

MJ was fucking huge - I guess he still was huge when he died across the world. Didn't his final tour shit sell out in record time? Madonna is probably the only act I would rank up with him at this time.

cherylsteele
06-28-2009, 11:52 AM
What about Prince?

I know he is a country artist but maybe Garth Brooks?

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2009, 12:05 PM
how about whitney or mariah?

ballhog
06-28-2009, 08:08 PM
If Mick Jagger kicked off, or Keith Richards, er....he might be dead already??? Maybe Paul McCartney would be a big deal.

Thunder Dan
06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Mick Jagger and the Stones.

Mick Jagger's death will be a huge deal like MJ's is, same with McCartney. If Ringo dies before McCartney, McCartney's death coverage will be unprecedented. The last Beatle to die. If it's Ringo I don't think it will be all that big

cherylsteele
06-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Mick Jagger and the Stones.

Mick Jagger's death will be a huge deal like MJ's is, same with McCartney. If Ringo dies before McCartney, McCartney's death coverage will be unprecedented. The last Beatle to die. If it's Ringo I don't think it will be all that big
I am assuming that the thread starter was implying artists that started no earlier than the late 80's/early 90's.

I do agree that when those people pass away it will be huge though.

I am postive that when my favorite artist passes there won't be much of a ripple though.