PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: L.A.'s Bryant feels Duncan's sprain

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 03:42 AM
Spurs notebook: L.A.'s Bryant feels Duncan's sprain
Web Posted: 04/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

Los Angeles Lakers All-Star guard Kobe Bryant saw a TV replay of Spurs All-Star forward Tim Duncan rolling his ankle nearly 90 degrees in a March 20 game in Detroit and had to look away.

Like most athletes who have suffered a bad ankle sprain, Bryant knew, instantly, Duncan would be out for quite a while.

"Yeah, I saw it," said Bryant, who missed 14 games after suffering a Grade 3 (most severe) sprain of his right ankle on Jan. 14. "It was nasty. Hopefully, he won't be out as long as I was. Hopefully, it wasn't as severe as mine. I tore some things in there. I still feel the effects. That was the worst injury I ever had. It was real, real serious."

Bryant was out for four weeks, during which the Lakers went 6-8. He has struggled occasionally since returning, and said it will be some time this summer before he feels back to normal. He twisted the ankle slightly on a drive to the basket with 1.8 seconds remaining in the third quarter and sat out the first 2:14 of the fourth period of Saturday night's 95-94 Spurs victory.

"I still feel it right now," Bryant said before the game at the SBC Center. "At the end of the season, I'll just get off it for a little bit. It doesn't surprise me it's taken this long to heal, because it was bad. Don't get me wrong. It feels much better, but during games, it just gets real stiff if I sit out for a couple minutes. It will tighten up and get really, really stiff. I knew (when I did it) it was going to be a long time."

Good company: Gregg Popovich became the fifth-fastest coach in NBA history to reach 450 victories.

Popovich picked up No. 450 in his 679th game. Only Phil Jackson (615), Pat Riley (617), K.C. Jones (637) and Billy Cunningham (642) did it faster.

Welcome back: Spurs guard Devin Brown was feeling good enough to join his teammates on the bench for Saturday's game.

Brown has watched previous games from home because his back was too sore to allow him to sit in a chair. The second round of steroid injections has reduced the pain so he can now stand straight.

"He certainly looks more positive than he has in a while," Popovich said.

Briefly: Two weeks after being ejected from the Spurs' victory over Minnesota, the Coyote was presented with an official pardon from Gov. Rick Perry. Veteran referee Jess Kersey ejected the Spurs' mascot from the March 16 game after he pretended he was going to fight Timberwolves guard Wally Szczerbiak. ... The Spurs had a moment of silence prior to the game in memory of Pope John Paul II.

Calm before the storm: The Spurs will take the next three days to recharge, knowing they won't get much of an opportunity to rest after they return to the floor Wednesday against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Beginning with the Clippers, the Spurs will play three sets of back-to-back games in eight days.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 03:43 AM
It was good to see Devin at least behind the bench and walking around for part of the game. A few days ago he couldn't even stand up straight, so I was happy to see him progressing. Hopefully he'll make it back by the playoffs.

T Park
04-03-2005, 03:44 AM
Brown has watched previous games from home because his back was too sore to allow him to sit in a chair. The second round of steroid injections has reduced the pain so he can now stand straight.

Looks to me, like Devin aint gonna be ready till the end of the first round, maybe the second, hell maybe the rest of the year.

Not good.

Just now sitting down?!?!?!

Yikes.....

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 03:47 AM
For whatever reason, the first round of shots he got did absolutely nothing for him. So he's made progress in just the last two/three days from the second round. I talked to his dad about it tonight; he said to just keep the faith.

T Park
04-03-2005, 03:50 AM
I knew, honestly, when he was on the floor at MSG, trying to loosen the back up, that he was gonna be gone for a good size amount of time.

Barry is gonna be the main man off the bench in the playoffs, and more than likely, Glover has that spot for the rest of the year.

Injured disks are not something you can rehab and just ho hum come back from like an ankle.

Its serious stuff. Ended Larry Bird's career.

Hopefully god shines on Devin and heals him quicker than normal.

TheWriter
04-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Devin was jumping when Brent made the GW shot.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 03:52 AM
The thing about Devin is that I don't think it's the actually disc that is damaged. I think he just has inflammation in the nerve that is surrounding the discs. I'm not saying that means much because I'm not a doctor. But having inflammation of the nerve seems better than having damage like some guys have.

Either way, it was great to see him walking upright.

toosmallshoes
04-03-2005, 04:15 AM
very motivational to see him cheering from the bench. Hope he gets well soon. Spurs could use his fearlessness and athleticism in the playoffs.

Ginofan
04-03-2005, 12:25 PM
They said it was the inflamed nerve, not the disc itself.

boutons
04-03-2005, 01:13 PM
the disc was compressed when Devin landed stiff-legged and leaning right. The nerve exits the spinal canal between the L4/LB vertebre in the inter-vertebre space provided by the disc. When the disc was compressed, the nerve was touched, bruised, whatever and, due to its very good "connections", it sent out spasm signals to the muscles trying to immobilize the spine and prevent very nerve damage.

It was great and surprising to see him get up and down from the chair (extremely difficult with spasms) and walking around. He looked much better than earlier reports indicated. Some progress!!

some diagrams

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article315.html

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1469.html

bonesinaz
04-03-2005, 02:35 PM
For whatever reason, the first round of shots he got did absolutely nothing for him. So he's made progress in just the last two/three days from the second round. I talked to his dad about it tonight; he said to just keep the faith.

^^This is a fairly common. I am completely encouraged that the 2nd round seems to be working. This is a very good sign.

Spurzilla
04-03-2005, 02:54 PM
some diagrams

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article315.html

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1469.html

Thanks so much for posting these articles -- good reading. Poor Devin -- last year it was his bruised ribs, now it's his back!!!! I sure hope this pattern doesn't become an annual "tradition!" :nope

Dex
04-03-2005, 03:38 PM
DBrown felt the wrath of Kevin Willis last year. :lol

MannyIsGod
04-03-2005, 04:02 PM
I think it's simmilar to an injury Sean Elliot had during one of his 2 all star campaigns. It bothered him for a time, but I didn't have any lingering effects once it was gone.

Das Texan
04-03-2005, 04:54 PM
T Park again playing doctor.

How nice.