PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson add takes weight off of Spurs' power players

ace3g
06-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Jefferson add takes weight off of Spurs' power players

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2009/news/features/art_garcia/06/26/jefferson.trade/jefferson.jpg

NEW YORK -- Tony Parker likes the trade for Richard Jefferson. A whole lot.

"It was great for us," Parker said earlier this week. "It's going to help. That's what we wanted, is to get somebody younger, very athletic and is going to make stuff happen."

The Spurs didn't make much happen in the Playoffs this past season, bowing out uncharacteristically in the first round against bitter rival Dallas. Not having Manu Ginobili had plenty to do with the five-game loss, but so did San Antonio's lack of depth beyond their triple threats.

Contenders can often overcome injuries, especially in the early rounds, and move on. The Spurs didn't compete against the sixth-seeded Mavericks with Manu out, illustrating the gaping holes on the roster. Matt Bonner and Roger Mason Jr. and George Hill were nice stories all season. They just weren't 20-point scorers.

Jefferson is.

Duncan, Ginobili and Parker together can make up for the scoring deficiencies of those around them, yet if either is out, which has become a common occurrence lately, the Spurs struggle. While Jefferson won't be asked to score 20 a night, like he did with the Bucks or in New Jersey, the 29-year-old slasher will ease the burden on his new teammates.

Parker and his fellow All-Stars were kept abreast of the Jefferson dealings throughout the process. "They tell us what they're thinking," Parker said of management, "and then they call us when it happens."

Manu should benefit most by likely returning to his sixth-man duties, as Gregg Popovich monitors the minutes of the soon-to-be 32 year old who's finding it harder to get through a season unscathed. After playing on iffy ankles last season, having a less-taxing role could increase the Argentine's effectiveness and efficiency.

And having another weapon to play off also helps Duncan and Parker. Teams can't double three guys at once.

"I'm very happy that we're adding talent," Parker added. "You don't want to go back and have the same team every year. I think it's going to help.

"We'll see what happens because everybody is loaded in the West."

As much as Jefferson would have helped against Dallas, the real target of the upgrade is the newly-crowned champs. San Antonio, even before the trade, was as good as any team in the conference outside of the Lakers if everyone came back healthy. Parker believes Jefferson gets the Spurs right up there with Kobe's crew.

"Now you have to prove that on the court," he said.

San Antonio isn't the only title hopeful beefing up this week thanks to a loaded deal. (The Spurs gave up three expendable vets in Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas.) The two squads that battled for the East crown went Olympic, with Shaq joining LeBron in Cleveland and Jefferson's old Jersey running mate Vince Carter headed home to Orlando.

The Spurs aren't done, though they won't be part of the great free-agent chase of 2010. The $29 million left on Jefferson's deal eliminates any shot at a big-ticket item next summer, and Pop and general manager R.C. Buford are OK with that.

There's no one out there, Pop said, that makes more sense than Jefferson in Bowen's old spot. Ron Artest and Shawn Marion are intriguing this summer, but the Arizona-ex is a better fit in San Antonio's team-first system. Spurs fans will hearken back to Sean Elliott, another Wildcat, when Jefferson races out for an easy dunk or spots up for a corner 3.

The focus now is up front. Bonner and Ian Mahinmi are the only other bigs under contract, besides Duncan. "They got to get some help for Timmy," Parker said. Rookie draft pick DeJuan Blair may turn out to be option. Popovich is certain a quality backup power forward could be had for the mid-level exception.

"I don't think we're finished," Parker said. "I think we're still going to make something happen. We have to improve. Everyone in the West is very talented."

The Spurs, at least for now, more than most.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/06/26/jefferson.trade/index.html

Libri
06-27-2009, 12:01 PM
There's no one out there, Pop said, that makes more sense than Jefferson in Bowen's old spot.It seems more and more that Bruce might not come back.

timvp
06-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Starting Manu might be the best way to keep him fresh. When he's on the court with TD, TP and RJ, Manu's going to be able to rest a lot more than if he's asked to be his typical instant burst off the bench.

nadie
06-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Remember the HEB commercials with Tim, Manu, Brent, and Bruce? Brent and Bruce are gone. Tim is most probably staying. Let's hope no trade will involve the slasher from Argentina.

Mr. Body
06-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Starting Manu might be the best way to keep him fresh. When he's on the court with TD, TP and RJ, Manu's going to be able to rest a lot more than if he's asked to be his typical instant burst off the bench.

That doesn't seem effective basketball-wise. Manu off the bench is hugely effective. It's more than likely that with RJ and a good bench, Manu may not be playing a lot of late 4th quarters anyway.

smrattler
06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Manu only plays one way.

We all know what that way is and we all know what that does to him by April/May.

I say keep bringing him off the bench and save him as much as possible for the playoffs. We have the core healthy for the playoffs and add Jefferson plus some young guys and whoever they go after in free agency, we'll be in great shape.

But we need healthy Manu, Tim, etc.

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Remember the HEB commercials with Tim, Manu, Brent, and Bruce? Brent and Bruce are gone. Tim is most probably staying. Let's hope no trade will involve the slasher from Argentina.

I dont think so, even Parker said it himself "He's like God here, he speaks spanish" haha

As for Bowen i can see him coming back but just to be a mentor for the young guys and maybe see some playing time here and there. But who knows what our front office is up to..
...but you gotta have faith!

timvp
06-27-2009, 11:26 PM
That doesn't seem effective basketball-wise.

For Manu in the regular season, I value health more than what actually makes the most basketball sense. Come playoff time, that's when he should be put in his most effective role and play as many minutes as possible.

During the regular season, keeping him healthy has to be priority number one.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2009, 11:26 PM
I think Manu coming off the bench is best as Mason plays better as a starter and will greatly feed off of Tony and RJ's drives.

lefty
06-28-2009, 12:20 AM

Interesting take.

It's true that Manu is asked to do some by coming from the bench; he has to be aggressive and expand a lot of energy (on BOTH offense and defense)

xellos88330
06-28-2009, 01:57 AM

I completely agree with this. Bringing Manu off of the bench was a great move, however, I think that it has worn him out. I believe the Spurs have enough depth to be able to start him. With 2 other all-stars and 1 former all-star on the court, Manu should be able to get some quality rest and not wear himself out.

The fan in me thinks that the Spurs will build up such a damn big lead, he won't need to play the 4th quarter if he starts. :wow

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I love Manu playing in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter. Manu's aggressiveness and drives are a major plus. I would hate to see him no longer a go to guy in the last few minutes of the 4th.

Of course, totally agree with somehow managing his minutes to where he is most productive while conserving the time he is on the court. I just want him playing in the crucial minutes and usually that's in th last few minutes of the 4th, unless we have garnered such a lead that his presence is unnecessary.