PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Now The 2nd Best In West... Or Something More?

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Shortly after San Antonio consummated the deal that sent 3 aging veterans to Milwaukee for all-star caliber Small Forward, Richard Jefferson, Foxsports.com's Charilie Rosen wrote the following:

"With the trade — assuming, of course, that Tim Duncan's knees and Manu Ginobili's ankle will hold up for the duration — the Spurs have suddenly become the Western Conference's second-best team."

I disagree with Mr. Rosen, but only slightly. If Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili were both healthy last season (which, of course, was not the case), the Spurs would have been the second-best team in the Western Conference WITHOUT Richard Jefferson. This trade makes a (hopefully) healthy Spurs team that much better.

What's more, Rosen wrote the above referenced statement before the draft results were in. The Spurs first selection of the draft and 37th overall pick, DeJuan Blair, is being largely heralded as "the steal of the draft", assuming his knees, which have been troublesome in the past, hold up. Blair likely provides the Spurs with an athletic Power Forward and gifted rebounder to compliment Tim Duncan in the post.

And the Spurs' front office isn't finished. Acquiring a player of Jefferson's caliber via trade leaves San Antonio with the flexibility to jump into the free agent market with both feet. If GM, R.C. Buford, can add one more proven post presence to the battle-tested Spurs' roster, the road to an NBA Championship may once again run parallel to the Riverwalk.

Muser
06-27-2009, 03:04 PM
It puts us right back in the mix, but with the way trades could go down you can't tell.

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-27-2009, 03:09 PM
It puts us right back in the mix, but with the way trades could go down you can't tell.

Yeah, it's going to be hard to call ANY team in the NBA the "favorite". The Magic added Vince. The Cavs added Shaq. And the Spurs have added Jefferson and Blair (with something else likely on the horizon). And the Lakers are already the benchmark. The Celtics, if healthy, could be right back in it as well.

I can't EVER remember the NBA looking like this before. You may have legitimate championship caliber teams in the league at the same time. It could be argued that there were seasons where there wasn't ONE great team, let alone 5. Should be a hell of a dogfight. But the Spurs, if healthy, will be right in the middle of it.

Spursmania
06-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Just one more piece. FO please do what it takes to get us a big. Tim/Manu's time is running out, so don't waste this year or next. Continue adding players like there is no next year. Because you really never know.

Muser
06-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, last year everyone knew it was between 4 teams at the most, this year it could be double that.

Spursmania
06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
We're definitely up there though. No doubt. And with one more big?

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

VivaPopovich
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
we're almost there. a few more missing pieces and we'll match the lakers talent level

we can afford the luxury tax too =)

elbamba
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
I think that SA is in great shape, it is only a matter of staying healthy and Pop has always been pretty good at keeping to strict rotations with the big three.

I have heard a lot of people say that LA is still deeper but I disagree. Guys like Sasha and Walton couldn't get off the bench they smelled so bad. We didn't lose our bench, we got rid of three players long out of their prime and barely capable of contributing. Even Bowen was slowing down despite people's belief that he was a lock down defender against Dallas.

We know have a bench that looks like Manu, Hill, Bonner, Gist and Ian/Blair. If this is the lineup I will be very happy. And that is not taking into account the potential the PG drafted or a free agent Big that we will most certainly bring in. Spurs will be deep if the big three stay healthy.

peskypesky
06-27-2009, 03:32 PM
i have no doubt that if healthy, we are the best team in the West now. and if we add another solid post player with the MLE, best team in the league.

Go Spurs Go!!!!

scottspurs
06-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Spurs fans seriously need to start believing in this team they are going to put out there next year and stop all the doubts. The FO is going all out now the fans need to support and believe in this team all out. GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Russ
06-27-2009, 03:40 PM
We're definitely up there though. No doubt. And with one more big?

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Camby.

Duncan2177
06-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Just one more piece. FO please do what it takes to get us a big. Tim/Manu's time is running out, so don't waste this year or next. Continue adding players like there is no next year. Because you really never know.

I see a change or two coming to the spurs. Stay tune :toast

DrHouse
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
The Spurs don't just need a serviceable big, they need a quality big alongside Duncan. Those aren't nearly as easy to find as good wingmen.

rayray2k8
06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
The Lakers are number 1 overall until they are beat.
Not gonna be easy, but I think it's the spurs to beat them or Lakers back to back..
I think Laker fans might agree, it's always been this way.

Mel_13
06-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Not gonna be easy, but I think it's the spurs to beat them or Lakers back to back..

Yes, the champs are the champs until they are beaten on the court.

Also, it would probably be best to wait awhile before comparing the teams on paper. Preferably until such time that someone is signed to replace Matt Bonner as a starter.

scottspurs
06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
When it comes down to the end you don't win championships on paper. As good as these teams are getting with all these trades I beleive the spurs have the best finishers for the close games that will decide series in the playoffs. With all of these teams becoming elite it is going to come down to who can execute it crunch time.

Late Game Weapons

Cavs= Lebron is overated in these situations although he did hit a big shot last offseason. Shaq is a non-factor late in games because you can just foul him and send him to the line.

Magic=Vince Carter will demand the ball resulting in horrible shot.

Lakers= have Kobe (as much as I hate to admit it.) who is good in the clutch. Derek Fisher on offense Ariza (assuming he is a Laker next season.) for defense.

Celtics= Ray allen, Paul Pierce, Garnett not so much

Spurs=Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Roger Mason clutch on offense. Manu and Duncan clutch on defense. I wish we would bring back Bruce for another late game defensive stopper but we will see.

If you look at it the three best teams at executing late in the game will probably be the Celtics, Spurs, and the Lakers.

But who is going to get clutch rebounds or block shots for the lakers. Gasol-Too soft
Bynum-nope
Odom-yeah right

For the Celtics who is going to be able to force a turnover in the clutch.

Not any one of there big three. Maybe Rondo but who knows if he will have is head on straight.

Spurs have it all in the clutch.
Duncan- the greatest of late game passers
Ginobili- forcing late game turnovers
Parker- no longer afraid to take the big shot
Mason-Role player will be in to shoot the three in the clutch with ice water in his vains.
Duncan- You are NOT going to get to the rim against the spurs in the clutch forget about it Duncan is great at protecting the :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:rim in the clutch and he can also get that big rebound when it matters
And if we bring back Bowen for at least one more year we will have someone not afraid to guard the other teams best player in crunch time.

This is my argument that the Spurs will win the title. If we are on the right side of the injury basketball gods we will have the best team when it matters most.

I'm not saying it is going to be easy but its when you are biting your finger nails that the best memories are made.....GO SPURS GO

peskypesky
06-27-2009, 04:20 PM
And if we bring back Bowen for at least one more year we will have someone not afraid to guard the other teams best player in crunch time.

I like this.

06-27-2009, 04:34 PM
this year is much better than the last where every contender but the lakers and cavs suffered at least an all star injury. will definitely be more competitive if everyone stays healthy this year.

crc21209
06-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Charlie Rosen is a fat old man. He doesnt know squat about bball, he's almost as bad as Hollinger.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Who cares about power rankings? Here's all that matters: Unlike last year, the Spurs have bullets in the chamber. How they use them will determine how good they are.

ElNono
06-27-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm surprised Rosen didn't took a cheapshot at the Admiral while assessing the Jefferson acquisition...

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 05:23 PM
If we can sign Sheed, I like our chances against anyone.

lotr1trekkie
06-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Tony is at the apex of his career. Give him more weapons on the perimeter and he will set a different standard for PG's. I've seen every point guard since the 70's and I have never-ever seen anyone able to get to the rim like Parker does! I can't wait for little "Baby" to set screens of Tony.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-27-2009, 06:45 PM
We're #2, but a distant #2 behind the Lakers.

The truth hurts.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 07:07 PM

The truth hurts.

Let's sign Sheed, then put them on the court (with a healthy Manu, of course ,and all of the Lakers healthy) I like our chances. Great match-up's all over the floor, starting with the PG position, they have no answer for TP.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 08:00 PM

The truth hurts.

The Rockets sans Yao and TMac proved that nobody is a distant second behind anybody.

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-27-2009, 09:43 PM

With respect, everyone says stuff like this. They're still the champs until someone beats them. Simply not true. They're still the champs NOW. But on the the first day of the '09/'10 season, they're no longer the champs. No one is. There is no '09/'10 champ until someone wins the '09/'10 championship. This isn't boxing. You're not the champ until someone beats you. You're the champ until the next season begins.

If the Spurs get another quality big man, they'll be on the level with any team in basketball, if healthy. The Lakers aren't the best team in basketball until someone proves otherwise... they WERE the best team in basketball last season. They're not the best team in '09/'10 until they prove it next season. Just like everyone else.

Dex
06-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Gotta beat the best to be the best. Lakers are still No. 1 until someone takes them down.

But the Spurs have definitely closed the gap considerably this summer.

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Gotta beat the best to be the best. Lakers are still No. 1 until someone takes them down.

But the Spurs have definitely closed the gap considerably this summer.

Well, as I just mentioned... I disagree. They WERE the #1 team in basketball in '08/'09. But they haven't proven anything more in the '09/'10 season than anyone else. Again... this isn't boxing. You're only the champs until the first day of the next season. You still have BRAGGING rights until someone else wins the championship... but that's not the same as being the best team until someone proves otherwise.

Dex
06-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Well, as I just mentioned... I disagree. They WERE the #1 team in basketball in '08/'09. But they haven't proven anything more in the '09/'10 season than anyone else. Again... this isn't boxing. You're only the champs until the first day of the next season. You still have BRAGGING rights until someone else wins the championship... but that's not the same as being the best team until someone proves otherwise.

So you don't believe in the concept of 'defending champions' in basketball, football, baseball, etc?

While it's mostly a matter of opinion and everyone's entitled to their own, I'd venture to say the players like having their chance to 'defend their crown'. Especially in leagues where the difference between champs and dynasties seems to be stringing together multiple titles.

xellos88330
06-28-2009, 03:14 AM
Who cares about power rankings? Here's all that matters: Unlike last year, the Spurs have bullets in the chamber. How they use them will determine how good they are.

I like this take. :toast

Buddy Holly
06-28-2009, 03:33 AM
When it comes down to the end you don't win championships on paper. As good as these teams are getting with all these trades I beleive the spurs have the best finishers for the close games that will decide series in the playoffs. With all of these teams becoming elite it is going to come down to who can execute it crunch time.

Late Game Weapons

Cavs= Lebron is overated in these situations although he did hit a big shot last offseason. Shaq is a non-factor late in games because you can just foul him and send him to the line.

Magic=Vince Carter will demand the ball resulting in horrible shot.

Lakers= have Kobe (as much as I hate to admit it.) who is good in the clutch. Derek Fisher on offense Ariza (assuming he is a Laker next season.) for defense.

Celtics= Ray allen, Paul Pierce, Garnett not so much

Spurs=Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Roger Mason clutch on offense. Manu and Duncan clutch on defense. I wish we would bring back Bruce for another late game defensive stopper but we will see.

If you look at it the three best teams at executing late in the game will probably be the Celtics, Spurs, and the Lakers.

But who is going to get clutch rebounds or block shots for the lakers. Gasol-Too soft
Bynum-nope
Odom-yeah right

For the Celtics who is going to be able to force a turnover in the clutch.

Not any one of there big three. Maybe Rondo but who knows if he will have is head on straight.

Spurs have it all in the clutch.
Duncan- the greatest of late game passers
Ginobili- forcing late game turnovers
Parker- no longer afraid to take the big shot
Mason-Role player will be in to shoot the three in the clutch with ice water in his vains.
Duncan- You are NOT going to get to the rim against the spurs in the clutch forget about it Duncan is great at protecting the :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:rim in the clutch and he can also get that big rebound when it matters

This is my argument that the Spurs will win the title. If we are on the right side of the injury basketball gods we will have the best team when it matters most.

I'm not saying it is going to be easy but its when you are biting your finger nails that the best memories are made.....GO SPURS GO

Dude, where's Jefferson?

Buddy Holly
06-28-2009, 03:35 AM

That's too simplistic of a saying. It's a nice catch phrase but it's BS.

Spurm
06-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Pathetic dumbasses..you ain't going nowhere next season

rascal
06-28-2009, 07:26 AM
i have no doubt that if healthy, we are the best team in the West now. and if we add another solid post player with the MLE, best team in the league.

Go Spurs Go!!!!

Not yet. They need another starting caliber frontline player.

rascal
06-28-2009, 07:33 AM

The truth hurts.

True, but the Spurs are not finished yet. Who they add from here on out will determine if the spurs have a realistic shot at the Lakers.

BackHome
06-28-2009, 07:38 AM
I hope RC isn't blowing smoke up our ass in saying that they will sign the players we need cap or no cap. Because until we get a decent big we got no chance with this team winning another ring.

With his little speech saying they are going to make movers in the draft I thought for sure we would buy our way into the first round. So how did the Nuggs get the Wolves 18th pick for their protected 2010 first rounder? Hell, I would have thrown in our fist and second round pick to get Omri or Young.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I hope RC isn't blowing smoke up our ass in saying that they will sign the players we need cap or no cap. Because until we get a decent big we got no chance with this team winning another ring.

With his little speech saying they are going to make movers in the draft I thought for sure we would buy our way into the first round. So how did the Nuggs get the Wolves 18th pick for their protected 2010 first rounder? Hell, I would have thrown in our fist and second round pick to get Omri or Young.

After the RJ trade, RC and Pop continued to raise expectations when they could have rested on their laurels. We'll know in the next week or so who their FA targets are, but Pop had no reason to specifically mention using the MLE to get a 4 if they planned to only look for low-cost help. We'll see.

FYI, the pick Denver sent to Minny was Charlotte's protected 2010 pick.

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-28-2009, 09:27 AM
True, but the Spurs are not finished yet. Who they add from here on out will determine if the spurs have a realistic shot at the Lakers.

I don't think that is true (that the Spurs are a distant #2 behind Lakers). Had the Spurs been healthy either of the last 2 postseasons, they could have been competitive with the Lakers. Maybe not quite as good (without Jefferson), but certainly competitive.

The Spurs seem a lot less relevant than they are because they haven't been healthy in the playoffs for the last couple seasons. Now, with Jefferson and Blair, if Tim and Manu are 100% in the playoffs, there's no way the Spurs are a "distant" second to anyone in this league. And with one more post addition, this Spurs roster won't be second to anyone, period... distant or otherwise.

rascal
06-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't think that is true (that the Spurs are a distant #2 behind Lakers). Had the Spurs been healthy either of the last 2 postseasons, they could have been competitive with the Lakers. Maybe not quite as good (without Jefferson), but certainly competitive.

The Spurs seem a lot less relevant than they are because they haven't been healthy in the playoffs for the last couple seasons. Now, with Jefferson and Blair, if Tim and Manu are 100% in the playoffs, there's not way the Spurs are a "distant" second to anyone in this league. And with one more post addition, this Spurs roster won't be second to anyone, period.

Depends on who they add at center. If they get a soft bust they will not win.

Kent_in_Atlanta
06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Depends on who they add at center. If they get a soft bust they will not win.

I'm very confident that they'll be adding a very capable big man. There are options, and the Spurs have the ability to get something done.