PDA

View Full Version : More effective Mason Jr

Spurs Brazil
06-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I think the arrive of Jefferson will help Mason Jr a lot.

Last season he needed to be the 3rd scorer and during some games he was the 1st option, when TD and TP were on the bench.

Now he'll only have to do what he knows to do very well: shot the ball.

We won't need him to slash to the basket, be a backup PG or guard the other team best perimeter player.

He'll score less but I think he'll be more effective

Muser
06-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Mason was playing out of his mind before he got moved to backup point, if Pop leaves him at the 2 and let's him shoot the ball then i'm not worried.

Tully365
06-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I agree. Mason is in his prime right now, completely familiar with the system, and if defenders have to worry about RJ and Mason doesn't have to worry about being the PG, it should all add up to greater comfort and freedom for him, and most importantly to more wide open looks.

Mr. Body
06-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Agree with this. Mason is a spot player and has trouble outside of a certain zone or level. He's a rotation guy called to do too much last year.

Oh, and I don't want him traded.

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Mason is a solid player..he isn't just a spot-up shooter..he can effectively shoot off the dribble as well..

the problem with Mase last year was that he was put into horrible situations following Manu's season-ending injury..he was put in positions where he was the backup PG, where he was forced to penetrate and pass, 2 horrible aspects of his game..

he was also playing average defense before he had to put in so much energy at the PG position, sometimes even above average..his defense took a huge hit when he was placed at PG..

he'll get more open shots this year, which can only make him better..

MaNu4Tres
06-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Mason should be more efficient if he stays. He will be put in the Michael Finley role. Mainly spot up shooting due to RJ, Manu, Tony, Tim sucking the defense inside.

Although, for the right scenario and price I'd trade him:

i.e - if Sheed chooses to go to Orlando and Finley opts to remain a Spur, I'd then turn my focus on Marcus Camby and package Mason/ Bonner+ Marcus Williams contract for Camby. Then I'd use some of the MLE to go after a wing to compete for minutes with Bowen or Finley (or both), such as Dahntay Jones, Rashad McCants, Matt Barnes, Rodney Carney.

Another would be if Rasheed did sign with San Antonio and if Blair/ Gist and Mahimni( or two of those three) performed above and beyond their expectations during summer league/training camp/ preseason. If that would be the case that would make Bonner expendable ( depending on the resigning on Oberto/ Kurt Thomas if they get bought out too). If Bonner does become expendable, I'd test the trade waters by offering Mason and Bonner for an improvement at the third wing position behind Manu and RJ. Players that I think on the top of my head are Stephen Jackson and Raja Bell.

Those are just thoughts on the only scenarios where I'd consider trading Mason.

Thompson
06-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Mason I think will be traded. TP, MANU, TD, RJ......hows he gonna get shots?

Mason is a great 3 point shooter; if you have him outside the line that will keep a defender out there guarding him, and open up the paint even more since they can't cheat off of him much. Though he may start, he's our backup 2 guard -who would you want replacing him if he were shipped out? I'd rather maintain quality depth.

Assuming everyone is healthy, it will be awesome to see what 5 great and really good players can do together on the court at the same time as opposed to 2 or 3 great players and scrubs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Mason = 03 Bowen offensively.
Leave the primary scoring to the core, park yourself at the 3, let them find you, and let 'em fly.

scottspurs
06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Finally some love for Mason. I believe we really need his shooting. Great thread

benefactor
06-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Barring any kind of trade that we just cannot pass up, I expect RMJ to be starting 2 guard on opening day. As the OP stated, he will have much less pressure on him with RJ along side him. He will be able to concentrate on the things he does well...coming off screens for jumpers and hitting open 3's.

raspsa
06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
If McClinton lives up to the hype, then Mason becomes just a tad more expendable. But Mason is a proven shooter and Mc Clinton still must prove himself.. on the pkus side, Jack is probably a better defender than Roger. Still, I don't see Mason going anywhere unless its part of a really good trade.

Biggems
06-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I would love to see a Lakers/Spurs WCF next season...that would be one heavyweight battle for the ages.

tomtom
06-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Please oh please no more pg experiments, let him do what he does best shoot 3's!

BackHome
06-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Mason needs to hit the weight room and freakin learn how to finish at the rim. I don't know how many times last year his shot got rejected when he tried to go to the whole.

SouthTexasRancher
06-28-2009, 12:12 AM
This should be an excellent year for Roger. No more taking him out of his element with the PG experiment. He will be much more comfortable with the Spurs system and he like Manu won't have an ego problem coming off the bench. This is shaping up to be a great season for the Spurs. Now I'm actually glad we got knocked out of the playoffs the way we did. It is obvious that Peter Holt doesn't like losing and as a result has given Pop & R.C. the green light to do what it takes to win #5. Once we get a legit 6'11" - 7'2" center who can defend, rebound and block shots it'll just be a matter of the first part of the season getting the chemistry right so we can go for the Championship.

loveforthegame
06-28-2009, 12:14 AM
I see no reason why Mason wouldn't be the starting 2. The pressure will be off him and he just needs to find the spots where Duncan, Parker, or Jefferson can find him for the open shot.

MLE, Duncan, Jefferson, Mason, Parker is a pretty sick lineup.

Blair, Bonner/Mahinmi, Finley, Ginobli, Hill as the 2nd unit isn't too bad either.

lefty
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Mason being more effective has nothing to do with the arrival of RJ.

It comes down to stop playing him as a backup PG.

Right, Pop ?

SouthTexasRancher
06-28-2009, 01:04 AM
I see no reason why Mason wouldn't be the starting 2. The pressure will be off him and he just needs to find the spots where Duncan, Parker, or Jefferson can find him for the open shot.

MLE, Duncan, Jefferson, Mason, Parker is a pretty sick lineup.

Blair, Bonner/Mahinmi, Finley, Ginobli, Hill as the 2nd unit isn't too bad either.

Actually in the NBA starting is not all it is made out to be. After the first few minutes coaches start substituting. So whether Mason starts or not, he should see lots of playing time. I have a feeling Pop is going to go real slow with Manu the first part of the season and Jefferson and Mason will get several more minutes per game and then get the rotation down come the All Star break.

Also a lot will depend on how well Mason is playing 'D'. I think Pop wants to see more of that from Mason this coming season.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2009, 01:43 AM
mason will get his shots from the extra pass

dude is a spot up shooter, what we dont need is him playing like last season with a huge role, thats not his ideal type of game and it really affects our team cause his a poor handler....

Ice009
06-28-2009, 01:51 AM
If Bonner does become expendable, I'd test the trade waters by offering Mason and Bonner for an improvement at the third wing position behind Manu and RJ. Players that I think on the top of my head are Stephen Jackson and Raja Bell.

Those are just thoughts on the only scenarios where I'd consider trading Mason.

Hmm I like the Stephen Jackson trade ;). You think the Warriors would be interested in salary dumping Sjax?

That trade actually works - Bonner and Mason Jr. for Sjax. I wonder if the Warriors would be interested in freeing up some more cash for next off season and if they also want to pay an older Sjax for 5 more seasons?

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Jackson wouldn't fit here at all anymore..he needs shots..he would have been a pretty good option without RJ, but now that Jefferson is here, Jackson is pointless..Mason is a better shooter with less of an ego, so he's a better role player..

daslicer
06-28-2009, 08:19 PM
I think he will play real well next year considering its a contract year. Look at the lakers had a bunch of players what I call "contract bitches" guys who never played big until they were playing for money. Last year Mase was very good up until he was forced to play PG and you can bet he will be motivated to play better next year so he can get some money.

MarHill
06-28-2009, 08:24 PM
barring any kind of trade that we just cannot pass up, i expect rmj to be starting 2 guard on opening day. As the op stated, he will have much less pressure on him with rj along side him. He will be able to concentrate on the things he does well...coming off screens for jumpers and hitting open 3's.

+1

VivaPopovich
06-28-2009, 08:32 PM
what roger mason jr. needs to do is become a defensive player and have some f****** pride in it as opposed to being "the guy that shoots 3s"

in san antonio, defense comes first. get outta here bonner

Ace9
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I echo many of your guys' statements. Mason just sinks shots, especialy 3's and pull up j's. I think he can thrive when he's not forced into the PG position.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 09:27 PM
There's no reason to deal Mason (absent a trade that makes the team better). Yes, if he's just called on to back up the 2 spot I expect him to have a great season. Having a guy who can knock down shots like he can is important in the Spurs' offense. With the arrival of Jefferson, the return of a healthy Manu, and someone else as the backup point, a lot of pressure will be off Mason.

It makes a lot more sense to package Bonner with Finley (assuming he stays) if the Spurs look to acquire a starting caliber big via trade. The Spurs do still need some shooters on this team.

bless1187
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
i get the feeling that some Spurs' fan here tend to overrate R. Mason. after the season was over, i was very unimpressed by R. Mason's performance, and the majority of the Spurs' fan here tend to blame his poor performance on Pop.

1.) when the season begun, i was impressed like many other by how well he could shoot the ball, but after team started scouting him "giving him no space", he really begun to struggle. i felt that this is the major reason for his struggle vs pop playing him at the backup PG role "since he still play 3/4 of his game at SG"

2.) his game is extremely one dimensional. people say he could put the ball on the floor and create for him self and others, but from what i saw, every time he put the ball on the floor, its either a turnover or a miss layup. he is not explosive by any stretch and he doesn't hit contested jumper as well as M. Finley does; so when team began trapping him and playing him physically, he really struggled. As far as defense goes, he does not have a strong or long body, nor does he moves his feet well.

3.) he can't play off the bench; after E. Ginobili returned to the lineup last season, there were few games where he came off the bench and he absolutely struggled, even putting in a few 0 points performances.

4.) he choked big time last playoff. no one on the roster choked more than R. Mason; after E. Ginobili went out, he was supposed to be our third option, except he went on to average 6 points per game while shooting 35% from the field, and repeatedly getting burned by J. Barea.

it's really hard for me to argue that R. Mason is the better player than M. Finley even with there age differential; but the fact that he's 29 and M. Finley is 36 warrants that R. Mason should be our starting SG once the season starts, but though he's starting i would assume he only get about 25 minutes per game. that's why i'm also hoping that M. Finley returns in a backup 10-20 minutes per game role, since he was honestly still our 3rd best performer in the playoff last year, and the backup role should fit him perfectly.

MaNu4Tres
06-28-2009, 11:17 PM
There's no reason to deal Mason (absent a trade that makes the team better). Yes, if he's just called on to back up the 2 spot I expect him to have a great season. Having a guy who can knock down shots like he can is important in the Spurs' offense. With the arrival of Jefferson, the return of a healthy Manu, and someone else as the backup point, a lot of pressure will be off Mason.

It makes a lot more sense to package Bonner with Finley (assuming he stays) if the Spurs look to acquire a starting caliber big via trade. The Spurs do still need some shooters on this team.

Bonner and Finley would not bring back anyone worth cracking the rotation.

Ice009
06-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Jackson wouldn't fit here at all anymore..he needs shots..he would have been a pretty good option without RJ, but now that Jefferson is here, Jackson is pointless..Mason is a better shooter with less of an ego, so he's a better role player..

No way man. Stephen Jackson is a proven playoff performer. RMJ is not, or has not proved that thus far.

When I was thinking of this trade I was barely even thinking about offense. You know Stephen is a pretty good defender these days right? He is waaaaaay better than RMJ at Defense and I'd love to have him starting for defensive reasons. Our defense would be a lot better with Sjax than RMJ. You're telling me you would pass up a guy that can hit big shots and also be able to guard a guy like Dirk to keep RMJ around?

TJastal
06-29-2009, 06:13 AM
No way man. Stephen Jackson is a proven playoff performer. RMJ is not, or has not proved that thus far.

When I was thinking of this trade I was barely even thinking about offense. You know Stephen is a pretty good defender these days right? He is waaaaaay better than RMJ at Defense and I'd love to have him starting for defensive reasons. Our defense would be a lot better with Sjax than RMJ. You're telling me you would pass up a guy that can hit big shots and also be able to guard a guy like Dirk to keep RMJ around?

Agree. SJack would be a big improvement or Roger. I'm not sure why people keep talking about RMJ in a starting role this year. RMJ's flaws of being 1 dimensional spot up shooter make him more suited for bench play.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Empirically, Spurs shooters tend to do everything better (i.e. shoot, pass, defend, etc.) in their second season.

Barry, Finley, Horry, Jackson--all these guys did way better after their first season here.

I expect RMJ to play way better this year (and far more consistently) than last year.

mingus
06-29-2009, 08:50 AM
i've been saying while people have bashed Jr. that expectations were waaaay to high for him. He'll thrive in a reduced role. i honestly always felt that the best he could be is Eddie House + the clutch factor. a hybrid of Horry and Eddie House . people wanted him to fill in for Manu last year, and he just doesn't have the talent. this year hopefully Manu stays healthy and we see Roger Mason be the best player he can be on this team and in this system, which is knock down threes.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Bonner and Finley would not bring back anyone worth cracking the rotation.

Yeah, just like Bowen, Thomas, and Oberto.

nkdlunch
06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
completely agree to give Mason another chance.

I also agree that the role last year might have been too overwhelming. Isn't it only his 4th year in the league?

Keep him, you don't find clutch shooters like him

Capt Bringdown
06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
You can't look at the Mason situation in isolation. Pop didn't trust Hill to develop, so he tired to shoehorn Mason into a role he's not suited for.
So, mainly due to Pop's miscalculations, we've got two players who are not as far along in the Spurs system as they perhaps could and should be.

What really pissed me off about these moves is that Pop kept playing the same card over and over again, even when it was pretty obvious that it wasn't working.

Kinda like that Einstein quote from the Finley thread, i.e., it's crazy to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

SpuronyourFace
06-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Mason was playing out of his mind before he got moved to backup point, if Pop leaves him at the 2 and let's him shoot the ball then i'm not worried.

I do not want to see him at backup point this year. Stick with Hill there and let him learn.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 10:29 AM
You can't look at the Mason situation in isolation. Pop didn't trust Hill to develop, so he tired to shoehorn Mason into a role he's not suited for.
So, mainly due to Pop's miscalculations, we've got two players who are not as far along in the Spurs system as they perhaps could and should be.

What really pissed me off about these moves is that Pop kept playing the same card over and over again, even when it was pretty obvious that it wasn't working.

Kinda like that Einstein quote from the Finley thread, i.e., it's crazy to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

I don't buy into the "Pop didn't trust Hill" arguement. I think Pop wanted to find more minutes for Mason, especially once he knew Manu wouldn't be there. Knowing that he'd be using Bowen more in the playoffs than he had during the regular season those extra minutes for Mason would have to come from the PG spot. Obviously the move backfired.

z0sa
06-29-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't buy into the "Pop didn't trust Hill" arguement. I think Pop wanted to find more minutes for Mason, especially once he knew Manu wouldn't be there. Knowing that he'd be using Bowen more in the playoffs than he had during the regular season those extra minutes for Mason would have to come from the PG spot. Obviously the move backfired.

Yeah, there was never really a reason for Pop to reduce Hill's minutes and remove him from the backup PG role. What sucked about this move is that Hill never got big time in the playoffs until G3/4, so Mason ended up guarding Barea and Terry at times, both of which destroyed him.

Pop needs to make better personnel decisions this season, put simply. He's great and all, but Mason at backup PG even after it didn't work for 15 games at the end of the season is one of his all-time boneheaded decisions. There's literally no reason Hill should be anything but the backup PG on offense.

z0sa
06-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Yeah, there was never really a reason for Pop to reduce Hill's minutes and remove him from the backup PG role. What sucked about this move is that Hill never got big time in the playoffs until G3/4, so Mason ended up guarding Barea and Terry at times, both of which destroyed him.

Pop needs to make better personnel decisions this season, put simply. He's great and all, but Mason at backup PG even after it didn't work for 15 games at the end of the season is one of his all-time boneheaded decisions. There's literally no reason Hill should be anything but the backup PG on offense, with spot minutes at best at the 2.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 12:20 PM

I won't say Pop didn't have a reason. Mason was the only guy on the team who had a prayer's chance at replacing the scoring Manu provided. But clearly Mason wasn't up to the task. In the end it didn't matter though because Hill wasn't a difference maker in the series even when he played. The problems the Spurs had in their matchups against dallas went far beyond Mason and Hill.

Pop needs to make better personnel decisions this season, put simply. He's great and all, but Mason at backup PG even after it didn't work for 15 games at the end of the season is one of his all-time boneheaded decisions. There's literally no reason Hill should be anything but the backup PG on offense, with spot minutes at best at the 2.

By no means is Pop perfect, but personnel decisions always seem to be "better" when you're holding more cards than your opponent is. The mavs exposed the Manu-less Spurs as a team that was undersized, lacking in offensive firepower and incapable of sustaining Spurs level defense. Pop made a bad call, but doing something different wasn't going to give him a winning hand.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Mason going from being expected to be the 3rd best offensive player and backup point to being the 5th best (at most) and solely the backup 2 should result in an improvement in performance. I think you want the backup 2 in the Spurs' offense to be someone who comes in and knocks down shots.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Mason going from being expected to be the 3rd best offensive player and backup point to being the 5th best (at most) and solely the backup 2 should result in an improvement in performance. I think you want the backup 2 in the Spurs' offense to be someone who comes in and knocks down shots.

Agree.

Mason Jr just need to make his outside shots. Last season everybody expected more but the true is he's just a role player and this season a role player he'll be.

I hope he can play better D, especially on pick and rolls