PDA

View Full Version : Did TD Make A Difference? ('97 article)

smrattler
06-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I read this article written in 1997, just before Tim Duncan went #1 to the good guys in black.

The headline reads:

Even if your team gets a stellar player like Tim Duncan in the NBA draft, it probably won't make any difference in the long run

Mostly it talks about how most #1 overall picks were not staying with their teams much, a lot of moving around. Mentions Shaq and Mourning as specific examples back then. Gave the Spurs the advice:

tell the folks who draft Duncan, enjoy him while you can

It also threw out a fact that was surprising to me.

Consider the drafts of 1987 through '94. Only two of the eight No. 1 picks from those years remain with the clubs that drafted them (chart, page 54): San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson, a seven-time All-Star and the league's '95 MVP; and Milwaukee Bucks forward Glenn Robinson, a mildly disappointing performer whom the Bucks have considered trading.

So, among those, DRob was the only one that finished his career with the same club.

I looked up what's happened since 1994, the trend continued (except for Duncan) until the past few years.

2006 - Andrea Bargnani, Toronto
2005 - Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee
2004 - Dwight Howard, Orlando
2003 - LeBron James, Cleveland
2002 - Yao Ming, Houston
2001 - Kwame Brown, Washington
2000 - Kenyon Martin, New Jersey
1999 - Elton Brand, Chicago
1998 - Michael Olowokandi, L.A. Clippers
1997 - Tim Duncan, The Super Spurs
1996 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
1995 - Joe Smith, Golden State

The last thing that really stood out to me was a very nice prediction about the lack of great big men over the next few years after Duncan:

The player almost certain to be taken first next week, Tim Duncan of Wake Forest, is not only considered far superior to the rest of his class but also might be the only topflight big man available for the next several years. "People ask me who the next great big man will be behind Duncan, and I'm racking my brain to give them an answer," says new Celtics general manager Chris Wallace. "I've been to all the major high school and college camps, all the all-star games, and there's just nobody out there. By default, teams are going to have to play small in the future."

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1010279/index.htm?eref=sisf

Muser
06-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Someone needs to find the man who wrote this and give him some nice Crow.

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 06:02 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Wallace wouldn't know about any of the next great big men to enter the NBA..he had one on his team, and he traded him for Kwame Brown..

Mugen
06-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Someone needs to find the man who wrote this and give him some nice Crow.

jackie macmullan.

manu_maniac
06-27-2009, 06:06 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Wallace wouldn't know about any of the next great big men to enter the NBA..he had one on his team, and he traded him for Kwame Brown..
:lol

Although, Gasol was a foreigner, and he was talking about kids from the US. The only thing I could ever think of about the trade was that the Griz are irrelevant no matter what, so why not piss off other teams?

Anyway, I'm so glad the author was dead wrong about Duncan.

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 06:13 PM
The Grizzlies apparently just tried to get Zach Randolph in a deal where they would pretty much just absorb the salary..that trade just keeps looking better..

Mel_13
06-27-2009, 06:22 PM
The article didn't say that Duncan wouldn't be great, just that history suggested that top draft picks were likely to changes franchises in the long run. That much was true then and has remained mostly so.

Since the lottery began in 1985, only two #1s have won a championship on the team that drafted them, David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Shaq, AI, Lebron and Dwight Howard have made it to the finals and lost.

If you go back to the merger, then you can add Magic, Worthy, and Hakeem.

That's it. Five number one overall picks in 33 years that have won an NBA title with franchise that drafted them.

ShoogarBear
06-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Jackie MacMullen was just another bitter Boston Globe writer who was furious that Tim Duncan didn't go to the Celtics. She would never in a million years have written that article if Boston had won the lottery.

Mel_13
06-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Jackie MacMullen was just another bitter Boston Globe writer who was furious that Tim Duncan didn't go to the Celtics. She would never in a million years have written that article if Boston had won the lottery.

Which may all be true, but the article was written before the draft that year.

Mugen
06-27-2009, 07:02 PM

yeah but boston had one of the best chances to win that lottery that year until the spurs won it.

so boston was pretty bitter soon after the lottery order was announced.

ShoogarBear
06-27-2009, 07:04 PM

But after the lottery. She already knew the Celtics weren't getting Duncan.

Mel_13
06-27-2009, 07:09 PM
But after the lottery. She already knew the Celtics weren't getting Duncan.

Duhhhhh.

I am quite wrong.

:lol

Kermit
06-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Jackie McMullen? That dude's pretty good on Around the Horn.

Spursfan092120
06-27-2009, 07:25 PM
It's a girl...lol

Kermit
06-27-2009, 07:31 PM
It's a girl...lol

No. Really? I'm shocked. A girl? Are you sure?

BillMc
06-28-2009, 02:36 PM
The article didn't say that Duncan wouldn't be great, just that history suggested that top draft picks were likely to changes franchises in the long run. That much was true then and has remained mostly so.

Since the lottery began in 1985, only two #1s have won a championship on the team that drafted them, David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Shaq, AI, Lebron and Dwight Howard have made it to the finals and lost.

If you go back to the merger, then you can add Magic, Worthy, and Hakeem.

That's it. Five number one overall picks in 33 years that have won an NBA title with franchise that drafted them.

That's an amazing stat. I guess getting the #1 overall pick gives you a less than 1/6 chance of winning it all with that player AT SOME POINT. Wow.

Great that 2 of them are ours!!!:flag:

mudyez
06-28-2009, 03:32 PM
jut another sign of SA beeing agreat city an a very fair franchise:

maybe SA isn't the big maket, every player is wiling to go to, but a lo of our former players still are bount to this place. its speaks folumes, that d-rob and timmy (he surely will) are the ones, that wanted to stay in the city they were drafted.

Sisk
06-28-2009, 04:22 PM

hahahahahaha this post is great
:rollin