PDA

View Full Version : Gortat or Sheed?

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 07:28 PM
This is my first thread and i'm kinda new to spurstalk so if this thread exist already, my bad.

Anyways spurs have the MLE to offer i would hope they go after Gortat fisrt, hes younger and has recent finals expirence. Sheed has always been one of my favorite players growing up, watching him and Duncan go after in in 2005 is always going to be one of my favorite Finals match ups BUT lets face is he's not getting younger and we already have Bonner who can create match up problems so Gortat can be our grind out guy to play D and get rebounds...

what do ya'll think?

here are there numbers from this past season
Rasheed> http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=883

Gortat> http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2758

take a look at the minutes comparison before you judge the staight up points and rebounds
:flag:

anyway i have faith in our FO again and here's to this coming season!

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Sheed hands down. Gortat is not a threat on offense or defense. He will out of the league before Sheed is... I give Gortat 2-3 years before he returns to Euroball.

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 07:41 PM
LOL..come on now..I'm for 'Sheed too, but there's a reason a number of teams are gonna be looking at Gortat..

Wallace is definitely my #1 option, but Gortat would be a very good Plan B IMO..his defense against Gasol and Bynum in the Finals was very good, which makes it even more appealing..

EricB
06-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Sheed.

Gortat has less offensive game than Mahinmi wich is scary and would plain clog things up on the offensive end.

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
do you think we need a ton of scoring from a center now that we have jefferson, tony, manu and duncan?

Gortat also throws it down at the rim i'll find some highlights here in a sec

Sigz
06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Where's Ducks?

Shut the fuck up mother fucker Ducks.

HarlemHeat37
06-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Gortat in 3 games that he started during the regular season..

16 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, 7-13 from the field..
4 points, 4 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2-5 from the field..
10 points, 18 rebounds, 2 assists, 4-7 from the field..

1 game where he started in the playoffs..

11 points, 15 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists, 5-8 from the field..

This dude isn't some scrub..

The reason he didn't play more was because he doesn't fit in on the court with Howard at all..Dwight has no jumper at all, and he has no ability to play outside..Gortat doesn't either..

Duncan has a solid J, and has one of the best high-post games in the NBA from a passing and decision-making perspective..

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 07:48 PM
We hope we have a better plan B. It would be Rasho all over again. No Thanks!!

MarHill
06-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Sheed.

Gortat has less offensive game than Mahinmi wich is scary and would plain clog things up on the offensive end.

Not true!!

Gortat doesn't need to score. Just defend the paint, block shots, and rebound.

Use his size

The Spurs will have plenty of firepower on the floor with TP, Mason, Jefferson, and Duncan or TP, Manu, Jefferson, and Duncan.

Gortat can protect the rim and Blair can help with rebounding as well.

Gortat can fill that need....if Rasho could so can he!!

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 07:49 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OID9NAN5AFs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OID9NAN5AFs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35ii8L5uxkc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35ii8L5uxkc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

MarHill
06-27-2009, 07:50 PM
We hope we have a better plan B. It would be Rasho all over again. No Thanks!!

Yeah but we won a championship with Rasho.

And he's 7 ft and protect the paint. Rasho just made too much money.......

Gortat can do that as well.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Gortat in 3 games that he started during the regular season..

16 points, 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, 7-13 from the field..
4 points, 4 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2-5 from the field..
10 points, 18 rebounds, 2 assists, 4-7 from the field..

1 game where he started in the playoffs..

11 points, 15 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists, 5-8 from the field..

This dude isn't some scrub..

The reason he didn't play more was because he doesn't fit in on the court with Howard at all..Dwight has no jumper at all, and he has no ability to play outside..Gortat doesn't either..

Duncan has a solid J, and has one of the best high-post games in the NBA from a passing and decision-making perspective..

Give me his career numbers... that is what he is... no better.:bang

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 07:52 PM
i dont know why the vids didnt word but just double click the hyperlink and you'll see the footage

Mugen
Gortat/Mcdyess are a very solid Plan B.

MarHill
Give me his career numbers... that is what he is... no better.:bang

I don't care about his career numbers.

Gortat has shown he can defend the post and block shots and rebound.

Championship squads have everyone filling a role and Gortat would help TD tremendously in that area.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 07:54 PM

I agree, we do not need Sheed to win it all. But, he is a better option on offense if Timmy is having a bad night.

So, you guys really think Gortat is a stud??? I have my doubts.

Mal
06-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Gortat doesn't need to score. Just defend the paint, block shots, and rebound.

Use his size

I will say that we need a guy to set tons of pick for Tony and Manu. I don`t think sheed would do that.

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Just imagine Gortat and Blair tearing up the glass and blocking shots while duncan is on the bench resting...
:wakeup

MarHill
I agree, we do not need Sheed to win it all. But, he is a better option on offense if Timmy is having a bad night.

So, you guys really think Gortat is a stud??? I have my doubts.

4Rings,

I never posted that Gortat is a stud.

He just fills a role that the Spurs need. That's all.

The Spurs have enough firepower on offense. I just what like Gortat did in the ECF vs. Cleveland and he played good post defense against Bynum in the Finals.

I think he can be a good role player for the Spurs...nothing more.

4RINGS
Is anyone else making a run at Gortat?

MarHill
06-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I believe the Magic will try to keep him. I don't know about anybody else. But if the Spurs are interested....that will peak interest from other teams as well.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Just imagine Gortat and Blair tearing up the glass and blocking shots while duncan is on the bench resting...

Or tearing up the buffet... :bking

Mugen
06-27-2009, 08:01 PM
My personal preference:

1. Sheed
2. Gortat
3. McDyess
4 Trade For Camby
5. Other Vet Big
6. Gooden

I only put the trade for camby as 4 because i think we would have to give up Mase in doing so and I think hes gonna be benefited by all these moves as much as anyone this upcoming year.

MarHill
Or tearing up the buffet... :bking

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

4RINGS
I believe the Magic will try to keep him. I don't know about anybody else. But if the Spurs are interested....that will peak interest from other teams as well.

No one else is drooling over him, we are the only ones making a market for this guy.:sleep

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:03 PM
My personal preference:

1. Sheed
2. Gortat
3. McDyess
4 Trade For Camby
5. Other Vet Big
6. Gooden

I only put the trade for camby as 4 because i think we would have to give up Mase in doing so and I think hes gonna be benefited by all these moves as much as anyone this upcoming year.

Swap Gooden and Gortat and I like your list. I would welcome Gooden back, he is young and has potential. :lobt:

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:04 PM
My personal preference:

1. Sheed
2. Gortat
3. McDyess
4 Trade For Camby
5. Other Vet Big
6. Gooden

I like it, Mugen.

I would probably switch Gortat and Sheed. I know my buddy SenorSpur has convince a little bit more about Rasheed though. :lol

I don't want to lose Mason as well. I believe he will benefit big time this season...with the changes also. And he has a year under his belt as a Spur. He will play much more instinctively this season too!!!

Mugen
06-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Swap Gooden and Gortat and I like your list. I would welcome Gooden back, he is young and has potential. :lobt:
Gooden isn't that young and he really doesn't have much potential left.

What you see with gooden is pretty much what you're going to get for the rest of his career.

a good low post scorer who has a decent jumper and is a solid rebounder.

but a horrible passer with a low defensive IQ. hes not what the spurs need right now.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree and I think he will be our target. He is used by Orl like we would use him. Hes not gonna get the ball. But he can score on pick and roles, he can put the ball on the floor and he gets alot of trash buckets. He would be the one I hope we get , but if we get Sheed I wont cry.

Thanks Texas 2 Step!!!

At least there is someone on my side!!! :lol

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:07 PM
So Gortat is the guy you are all in love with??? Kinda scary...

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_marcin_gortat.jpg

This guy??? Hmmm...

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Since we already have Bonner i think Sheed is more expendable...
only if we get a solid Big to help Bonner

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I know the Lakers feel threatened, since he PLAYED so well against them in the playoffs. I highly doubt it. I'll pass... RC and POP look elsewhere... PLEASE!

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:11 PM
So Gortat is the guy you are all in love with??? Kinda scary...

4Rings.......:bang

We're not in love with the guy!!!

He fills a need!!

If the Spurs hadn't traded for RJ....I would prefer Sheed over Gortat because he can score in the post and shoot the 3.

However, the Spurs will have at least two guys on the floor at all times that can create their own shot. (TP & RJ, TP& Manu, RJ& Manu)

So that changes the equation for me. I want another big who fill a role to defend the post, block shots, and rebound.

This is the missing piece for the Spurs.....

VivaPopovich
06-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Rasheed. Gortat can't do much else except grab easy rebounds and make open dunks. We're not looking for a long term committment out of Rasheed. Pop has a thing for giving old vets another run (Steve Smith, Mario Elie). We already have big men for the future, Rasheed satisfies the needs of the moment.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Last Three Games
http://www.nba.com/media/homepage/stats_header_lft.gifDateOpponentResultMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AOFFDEFREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTSPlayoffsJun 14vs. LAL (http://www.nba.com/lakers/) 4L 86 - 99 (http://www.nba.com/games/20090614/LALORL/boxscore.html)92 - 40 - 00 - 0000000004Jun 11vs. LAL (http://www.nba.com/lakers/) 4L 91 - 99 (http://www.nba.com/games/20090611/LALORL/boxscore.html)42 - 20 - 00 - 0022001104Jun 09vs. LAL (http://www.nba.com/lakers/) 4W 108 - 104 (http://www.nba.com/games/20090609/LALORL/boxscore.html)50 - 10 - 00 - 0000000010

He killed the Lakers. Let's sign him.

If you are looking at stats...then you're right!!

But if he fills a need....then he's one to go after!!

jj cain
06-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Gortat is nothing like Rasho. Did you guys actually watch him? He is a good athlete. He can get up, he's tough & he finishes at the rim pretty well. He is a good shot blocker & we haven't had that in years.

His numbers don't mean much since he backs up the best C in the game. When he played he made an impact.

He will be a very hot commodity actually, I don't know where some people on here think he won't. He caught a lot of eyes in the playoffs. On a team with 4 18 + scorers, his offense is irrelevant.

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Gortat.

I think it'd be a mistake for the Spurs to get Sheed. He's just as likely to get a T that hurts his team as is he to hit a big 3. He doesn't play in the post at all anymore, taking almost half of his shots from beyond the arc. Poor shot selection. Doesn't rebound up to his ability. Picks and chooses when he wants to bring effort. Lateral quickness is gone. Doesn't get up at all like he used to. Is too slow getting down the court, which was fine when Billups brought the ball up nice and slow, but playing w/ Parker he's going to trailing every single play. And has had injuries, though more on the minor side, the last couple of years.

Gortat establishes good position in the paint. Offers a couple of nice post moves w/ some decent athleticism and quickness. He's active and physical defensively. Can protect the basket. Block shots and rebounds at a much better rate than Sheed. He won't offer the personality issues that come with Sheed. He's younger and possibly going to be a 'break out' type of player going into his 3rd season. Gortat just offers everything you all need. A big 7 footer in the paint. Sheed does not fit that role.

Obviously getting either of them will help the team, but I strongly think you all would be better off w/ Gortat or Dice than Sheed. Just my .02 cents.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Gortat is nothing like Rasho. Did you guys actually watch him? He is a good athlete. He can get up, he's tough & he finishes at the rim pretty well. He is a good shot blocker & we haven't had that in years.

His numbers don't mean much since he backs up the best C in the game. When he played he made an impact.

He will be a very hot commodity actually, I don't know where some people on here think he won't. He caught a lot of eyes in the playoffs. On a team with 4 18 + scorers, his offense is irrelevant.

My point exactly....jj cain! Thanks! :toast

It's not about stats for him. Its about a role the Spurs need and he can fill it.

You need good role players on a championship team......

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Gortat.

I think it'd be a mistake for the Spurs to get Sheed. He's just as likely to get a T that hurts his team as is he to hit a big 3. He doesn't play in the post at all anymore, taking almost half of his shots from beyond the arc. Poor shot selection. Doesn't rebound up to his ability. Picks and chooses when he wants to bring effort. Lateral quickness is gone. Doesn't get up at all like he used to. Is too slow getting down the court, which was fine when Billups brought the ball up nice and slow, but playing w/ Parker he's going to trailing every single play. And has had injuries, though more on the minor side, the last couple of years.

Gortat establishes good position in the paint. Offers a couple of nice post moves w/ some decent athleticism and quickness. He's active and physical defensively. Can protect the basket. Block shots and rebounds at a much better rate than Sheed. He won't offer the personality issues that come with Sheed. He's younger and possibly going to be a 'break out' type of player going into his 3rd season. Gortat just offers everything you all need. A big 7 footer in the paint. Sheed does not fit that role.

Obviously getting either of them will help the team, but I strongly think you all would be better off w/ Gortat or Dice than Sheed. Just my .02 cents.

Thank you Pistons<Spurs!!!

Another one on our side!!! :lol

Mugen
Gortat.

those are all valid criticisms but Sheed is still one of the top post defenders in the game and that is just exactly what the spurs need.

adding sheed probably makes the spurs the best defensive team in the league again.

4RINGS
Rasheed. Gortat can't do much else except grab easy rebounds and make open dunks. We're not looking for a long term committment out of Rasheed. Pop has a thing for giving old vets another run (Steve Smith, Mario Elie). We already have big men for the future, Rasheed satisfies the needs of the moment.

I agree, we do need Sheed for 5 years, we just need him for a year or two while Duncan is still playing at a high level. Gortat can stay with the Magic... if they want him.

jj cain
Oh, and the only game he played significant minutes, which was only 20, against the Lakers he had 4 points, but 8 rebounds, 4 blocks & 2 assists.

As mentioned above, they couldn't play him & Howard at the same time because their offense would shut down.

If he plays 25-30 as the starting C, he probably averages 9-10 boards, 2 blocks & 8-10 points a game. That is perfect for the Spurs.

Mugen
06-27-2009, 08:20 PM
I know the Lakers feel threatened, since he PLAYED so well against them in the playoffs. I highly doubt it. I'll pass... RC and POP look elsewhere... PLEASE!

ask yourself this...who do you want starting?

Bonner or Gortat?

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:22 PM
those are all valid criticisms but Sheed is still one of the top post defenders in the game and that is just exactly what the spurs need.

adding sheed probably makes the spurs the best defensive team in the league again.

Right, Sheed made the Pistons one of the best defensive teams in the league. He knows how to play D. Sheed played good D on Timmy in the Finals... remember.

MarHill

Mugen,

I believe Gortat will make the Spurs the best defensive team in the league more than Sheed would.

Pistons<Spurs posted the differences between the two very well.

Obstructed_View
Since the other thread where I posted this derailed into a big argument about something else:

The rumor that Rasheed was in SA, whether true or not, has likely just driven up his price. If anyone out there was willing to go over the MLE to get him, they're more likely to do so now, which puts the Spurs at a disadvantage.

BUT

Orlando just got Vince Carter, and is probably going to lose Hedo. As a result, they are more likely than ever to be willing to throw money at Rasheed if he's indeed their target. Since Rasheed played in college with Carter, and has said he wants to play for a contender in the EAST, that puts Orlando at the top of his wish list.

The above combination of factors could make matching for a Gortat very expensive for Orlando. Making Gortat a QO could be a great chess move if everything lines up just right. Committing the entire MLE is a risk, but Gortat is young, athletic, smart, a good defender and a big body. He'd be a steal for the Spurs even if they're in luxury tax territory.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Mugen;3501073]ask yourself this...who do you want starting?

Bonner or Gortat?[/QUOTE

Gortat by a mile!!

Bonner was getting abused by other teams post players.

Plus.....we have plenty offensive firepower now and Gortat's defense and rebounding is much better than Bonner.

ginobilized
06-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Sheed brings the swagger, crafty veteran tricks, 3 pt ability and post up game, a bonafide floor spreader.....he's the one for this team I believe. 4 3pt threats in the starting 5 is ridiculous.....Duncan gets single coverage or there's a wide open shooter. The lane will be more open for TP and RJ with Sheed. Gortat is a good player, but more of a 5. Sheed is a 4 in our system and will match up with 4s. Duncan is a 5 from here out I believe.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Since the other thread where I posted this derailed into a big argument about something else:

The rumor that Rasheed was in SA, whether true or not, has likely just driven up his price. If anyone out there was willing to go over the MLE to get him, they're more likely to do so now, which puts the Spurs at a disadvantage.

BUT

Orlando just got Vince Carter, and is probably going to lose Hedo. As a result, they are more likely than ever to be willing to throw money at Rasheed if he's indeed their target. Since Rasheed played in college with Carter, and has said he wants to play for a contender in the EAST, that puts Orlando at the top of his wish list.

The above combination of factors could make matching for a Gortat very expensive for Orlando. Making Gortat a QO could be a great chess move if everything lines up just right. Committing the entire MLE is a risk, but Gortat is young, athletic, smart, a good defender and a big body. He'd be a steal for the Spurs even if they're in luxury tax territory.

Yep....another one for Gortat!!! Whoo-hoo!! :rollin

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:25 PM
If we get Gortat, we WILL NOT be a real threat to win it all. Bring on Sheed.

Plus, Gortat only made $700K last year... are we going to give him a BIG raise???

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Gortat is a good player, but more of a 5. Sheed is a 4 in our system and will match up with 4s. Duncan is a 5 from here out I believe.

The Spurs brought Timmy away from the basket more last year than ever before. I'd rather have Gortat in there taking a pounding on both ends than Duncan.

MarHill

Plus, Gortat only made $700K last year... are we going to give him a BIG raise???

Of course I disagree...we would be a threat to win it all!

Also, Gortat is going to raise from some team either Orl or SA or someone else.....that's the cost of doing business and he's a free agent.

jj cain
Oh, and for what it's worth, Gortat had a better PER this year than Sheed.

I love Sheed & I will be happy if we get him, but Gortat isn't some dead body. He gives us something we haven't had since Dave left. Size & athleticism down low & someone who can alter/block shots.

He's no All Star, but as a starting C, he's an 8-9 point, 9-10 rebound, 2 blocks, 1 steal type player.

Mugen
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Mugen,

I believe Gortat will make the Spurs the best defensive team in the league more than Sheed would.

Pistons<Spurs posted the differences between the two very well.

he very well might and i like Gortat a lot. But i think even if Gortat reached his full potential, it's still not gonna be close to the level that Sheed is at.

Yes, Sheed has lost a step but i thought a lot of his deficiencies last year were due to the fact that he knew Detroit was not going anywhere.

A driven Sheed who wants to win a championship is a very scary player and he might just utilize his endless talent to make this team a championship team again.

That brings up another tiny concern i have with Gortat and whether he'd be still willing to work hard once he gets a raise and whether he can survive under Pop.

we know sheed can when he played for LB and i just think that Sheed wants to win a championship and shut up all his critics.

Chieflion

You crazy? Even if we signed Gortat to a longer deal, he becomes a real good starting center, then it is all worth it. With Sheed, you never know when he will mail it in.

4RINGS
Yep....another one for Gortat!!! Whoo-hoo!! :rollin

I am glad you are not the GM, or you would build a crappy team. :nope

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:30 PM
You crazy? Even if we signed Gortat to a longer deal, he becomes a real good starting center, then it is all worth it. With Sheed, you never know when he will mail it in.

How do you know that he would make a great starting center??? Has he ever been a starting center other that a few games here and there????

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:33 PM
I am glad you are not the GM, or you would build a crappy team. :nope

Oh yeah a crappy team....when you have one of the top PGs in the league, probably the best PF in our generation, the slasher and dynamic SG in Manu, and just traded for the SF that you've needed since Sean Elliott and all we need a legit 6'11 or 7'0 who has proven he can protect the paint and defend bigs and rebound....

Boy I would a be terrible GM...thanks for the compliment!!

:lmao

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Why can't Ian be our starting center??? He is a better opton then Gortat.

Mugen
06-27-2009, 08:34 PM

ian needs to prove that he can stay healthy before we even think of giving up the starting spot.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:34 PM
ian needs to prove that he can stay healthy before we even think of giving up the starting spot.

Thanks....there is some common sense in this thread!!! :toast

jj cain
06-27-2009, 08:35 PM
How the hell is Ian a better option at this point???

Gortat has actually produced, and again, go look at his numbers when he plays 20 or minutes a game.

That's a funny comment considering your post above.

Chieflion
06-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Has Ian even played a playoff game before? Damn it.

Gortat did well closing out the 76ers game with Howard suspended. Gortat is not a stiff either.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh yeah a crappy team....when you have one of the top PGs in the league, probably the best PF in our generation, the slasher and dynamic SG in Manu, and just traded for the SF that you've needed since Sean Elliott and all we need a legit 6'11 or 7'0 who has proven he can protect the paint and defend bigs and rebound....

Boy I would a be terrible GM...thanks for the compliment!!

You would not have traded for Jefferson, you would have traded for Gortat. MR. WEB GM... you rule!!!:toast

Obstructed_View
06-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Oh my God, dude, step away from the fucking crack pipe. Did you see Gortat's stats in the games he started? Did you see him in the playoffs? He's got a big body, great timing and athletecism, he's got soft hands and he's a good finisher and excellent rebounder and shot blocker. He would easily be the best center this team's had since Robinson left.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh my God, dude, step away from the fucking crack pipe. Did you see Gortat's stats in the games he started? Did you see him in the playoffs? He's got a big body, great timing and athletecism, he's got soft hands and he's a good finisher and excellent rebounder and shot blocker. He would easily be the best center this team's had since Robinson left.

So, a bunch of team must be lining up for Gortat. Man, we better hurry up and sign this guy before another contender does.

MarHill
06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
You would not have traded for Jefferson, you would have traded for Gortat. MR. WEB GM... you rule!!!:toast

Oh yes I would have traded for Jefferson!!! Give me a little credit!!!

LOL!!!

I liked your post though......

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I doubt the Spurs are even looking at this guy anyway. I am not worried.

jj cain
06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
In games where Gortat played 20 or minutes: (there were 16 this season/playoffs)

He averaged 8 points, 9 boards & 1.6 blocks. Most of those games were between 20-25, so add a bit to those numbers to project him as a starter.

He had an 18 rebound game & a 5 blocks game in those. In those 16, he had 5 13-15 rebound games & 6 games with 3 or more blocks.

So, Ian, at this point, is a safer bet?

And once again, there will be quite a few teams after him. Hell, google his name, he'll be a hot commodity.

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Yes he's physically and instinctively a great post defender. He can get inside peoples heads better than anyone in one on one battles.

But it's not 2005 anymore. He still shows flashes of it, and I'm sure going to a new team will rejuvenate him. But his body is breaking down. There's too many bigs in the west who are either too athletic or too versatile in their ability to put the ball on the floor to make me think he'd look anything like he did a few years ago in a weak Eastern Conference.

Gasol, West, Dirk, Jefferson, Yao, Aldridge, Gasol, Blake .... etc etc

Seeing that type of player, game after game? No way. He'll end up looking silly more often than not. And don't think about putting him on an outside shooting big man. He's too slow to close out on the perimeter, and rarely quick enough to get back to the basket after it's passed inside.

I'm not trying to crap on him. Like I said, he'd be a great addition and be a big help. I just don't think he should be the prime target for the Spurs. I think there's better options.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
In games where Gortat played 20 or minutes: (there were 16 this season/playoffs)

He averaged 8 points, 9 boards & 1.6 blocks. Most of those games were between 20-30, so add a bit to those numbers to project him as a starter.

He had an 18 rebound game & a 5 blocks game in those. He had 5 13-15 rebound games & 6 games with 3 or more blocks.

So, Ian, at this point, is a safer bet?

And once again, there will be quite a few teams after him. Hell, google his name, he'll be a hot commodity.

So, how much should we pay this guy to come play for the Spurs??? Remember, he made 700K last year... be carefull... think about it. Play GM :wakeup

Chieflion
06-27-2009, 08:49 PM
So, how much should we pay this guy to come play for the Spurs??? Remember, he made 700K last year... be carefull... think about it. Play GM :wakeup
Does that matter? Sheed got 14 million last season and played like crap.

jj cain
06-27-2009, 08:51 PM
If we don't get Sheed, offer him 3-3.5 have a year and go from there. Orlando will probably match anything below and if Turkoglu goes elsewhere & they don't have better options.

Mugen
06-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes he's physically and instinctively a great post defender. He can get inside peoples heads better than anyone in one on one battles.

But it's not 2005 anymore. He still shows flashes of it, and I'm sure going to a new team will rejuvenate him. But his body is breaking down. There's too many bigs in the west who are either too athletic or too versatile in their ability to put the ball on the floor to make me think he'd look anything like he did a few years ago in a weak Eastern Conference.

Gasol, West, Dirk, Jefferson, Yao, Aldridge, Gasol, Blake .... etc etc

Seeing that type of player, game after game? No way. He'll end up looking silly more often than not. And don't think about putting him on an outside shooting big man. He's too slow to close out on the perimeter, and rarely quick enough to get back to the basket after it's passed inside.

I'm not trying to crap on him. Like I said, he'd be a great addition and be a big help. I just don't think he should be the prime target for the Spurs. I think there's better options.

im not looking for sheed to shut down the 4 night in night out. i mean we got by with MATT FREAKING BONNER at the 5 and still gave up the 2nd fewest points in the league.

im talking about a 7 game series against the lakers where Sheed would totally disrupt Pau and give the spurs another outside shooter when they pack in the lane to try and stop Parker.

i could care lesss if the Spurs get the best record in the league next year cuz its gonna all come down to how we match up against the lakers.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
This is the difference--- Teams are after Sheed and teams will settle for Gortat... no one is after Gortat, except WEB GM's

jj cain
06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Sheed has been a 12 & 7 guy for the last 3 years & made around 14 mil last year. He will get the full MLE more than likely. So, for the 5.5 mil you get 12 & 7 w/the positives (jumper, spreading the floor, good D) & negatives (age, typical sheed oncourt bs, lazyness at times).

Gortat will cost between 3 & the MLE & you will get 9-10 points, 9-10 rebounds & a shot blocker with positives (athletic & very active, size down low, take the load off Tim, finisher at the rim) & negatives (lack of mid-range game, not a veteran, not someone a D has to follow outside of 12-15 feet).

I agree that I'd rather have Sheed in a clutch series, but over the course of a season Gortat will take a lot of wear & tear off of Duncan.

I'd love to have Sheed, but Gortat is a hell of a backup plan if we can swing it.

spursbird
06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I want ZaZa. He can defend, and he averaged 12 pts and 8 boards when he was a starter for the Hawks during the season of 05-06.

jj cain
06-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Boston & New York will go after Gortat, that's no secret

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2009, 09:08 PM
im talking about a 7 game series against the lakers where Sheed would totally disrupt Pau and give the spurs another outside shooter when they pack in the lane to try and stop Parker.

This is exactly where we diasagree. I think Gasol would excel in that matchup. His athleticism would be tough for him to go against in a playoff series. Gasol would be the one who could better respond to Sheeds D. His skill set would allow him to react to Sheed's weaskneeses.

And IMO you don't need Sheed on offense at all. And especially not outside. You've got plenty of perimeter threats. But you could use another banger inside getting putbacks and sloppy points. And that's something you will get zero of from Sheed.

Whatever though, either way you guys should be one of the premier teams and I'm curious to see what other moves the team does make and anxious to watch them play .... more than I have been the last year or 2.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 09:09 PM

He will be a great fit for the Knicks. :wgaf:

Chieflion
06-27-2009, 09:09 PM
New York can go jizz themselves.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 09:13 PM
If we sign Gortat it will make the HEADLINES in the local Thrifty Nickel.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Sheed is the more likely addition, simply because it's more substantiated to be a possibility.

The Magic need to try to retain Gortat or else they'll be thin in the front-court even with D12.

I agree, they should give their money to Gortat and play him next to D. Howard. Hell start him. :flag:

Thompson
06-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Since Rasheed played in college with Carter, and has said he wants to play for a contender in the EAST, that puts Orlando at the top of his wish list.

I remember an article earlier this year by Marc Stein saying Rasheed wanted to come to the Spurs to play with Duncan, and others have mentioned he likes Pop. I also remember seeing your assertion that he wants to play for a contender in the east somewhere, but I wasn't sure at the time how reliable that information was.

Pucho!!!
06-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I like Gortat, but the only problem I have with gettn him is havin too many inexperienced players on the frontcourt (haha never thought I'd be sayin that about a Spurs team). Plus I do think Sheed would fit better. His outside shooting, although erratic, is much better than Gortat by far and if u look @ the make up of this team, we're gonna need a shooting Big on the floor esp against the Lakers who like to pack the lane.

Chieflion
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
I like Gortat, but the only problem I have with gettn him is havin too many inexperienced players on the frontcourt (haha never thought I'd be sayin that about a Spurs team). Plus I do think Sheed would fit better. His outside shooting, although erratic, is much better than Gortat by far and if u look @ the make up of this team, we're gonna need a shooting Big on the floor esp against the Lakers who like to pack the lane.
I like Gortat as a rugged rebounder and defender, but inexperienced is not really the word to use for Gortat. He has been in the finals just recently.

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I like Gortat as a rugged rebounder and defender, but inexperienced is not really the word to use for Gortat. He has been in the finals just recently.

5 quick games is not exactly great experiance. :nope

yavozerb
06-27-2009, 10:11 PM
11 minutes a game, 3pts, 3 rebs, .5 blocks a game in the playoffs (which is the reason everyone likes this guy cause his reg. #'s are even worse) Do you really want to give this guy anywhere near our mle?

benefactor
06-27-2009, 10:12 PM
The Knicks just traded QRich for Darko...so I doubt they will be spending anything on Gortat.

It's not secret that I have been pulling pretty hard for Gortat since the first round of the playoffs. The fact that he continued to excel throughout the playoffs really sold me on him. He played big on a big stage and that makes paying him close to MLE money worth it...probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million a year. As I said in the other thread, good bigs are not just falling out of trees. Ones that can run the floor, rebound and defend like Gortat are going to be paid by someone...and with Holt seemingly ready to dole out the cash he is a pretty good option.

Remember...there is not an overabundance of bigs out there this offseason. Our team getting going from elite team to elite title contender hinges on us getting bigger and tougher up front. IMO, Gortat is the best option out there to accomplish this.

benefactor
06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
11 minutes a game, 3pts, 3 rebs, .5 blocks a game in the playoffs (which is the reason everyone likes this guy cause his reg. #'s are even worse) Do you really want to give this guy anywhere near our mle?
Why don't you try watching the games instead of quoting a bunch of stats.

SpursFan0728
06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
For me,

I'll choose Dice, Sheed, Gortat.

Pucho!!!
06-27-2009, 10:20 PM

He's got alito finals experience and an effective rebounder, but he's still relatively inexperienced and this would be his 1st yr on the team. Ur gonna leave Tim to be the lone vet Big, I doubt the Spurs will let that happen. besides Pop likes Bigmen who can shoot. We've got plenty of youth, now we need experience. Sheed brings all that we need with the final piece (i.e. championship pedigree, 10+ yrs nba experience, etc). Him and tim mentoring all those young bigs, wooo weee watch out!

4RINGS
06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Why don't you try watching the games instead of quoting a bunch of stats.

The only stat that counts is wins... Sheed will get us wins.

200 miles
06-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Gortat >>> Rasheed
Zaza >> Rasheed
Dice > Rasheed

That is all. :hat

Pucho!!!
06-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Gortat >>> Rasheed
Zaza >> Rasheed
Dice > Rasheed

That is all. :hat

haha Naw, man, ZaZa is alright, but he's not an NBA starter. Gortat can be one but his offensive game is limited to interior play. A motivated Sheed (if he plays for a contender hopefully the Spurs) will outplay both, u shall see, but if the Spurs do go after Gortat, I won't mind.

smrattler
06-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok, in the event that both of these things happen:

1) We do sign Wallace

2) Blair does what I think he can do, provide energy and rebounding and hustle on the offensive boards and DESERVES to play more.

I hope Pop doesn't go "hopelessly devoted" for Wallace, like he did with NVE, like he did some with Horry when he shouldn't have, like he has with Finley and NOT play a "rookie" as much as he should because he's force-feeding the vet more minutes.

I think he'd play Wallace regardless of how bad he plays or doesn't adapt or fits in and he would play a rookie less to get that done, even if that rookie was deserving of more minutes.

I bet he wouldn't do that for Gortat.

Pucho!!!
06-27-2009, 10:37 PM

1) We do sign Wallace

2) Blair does what I think he can do, provide energy and rebounding and hustle on the offensive boards and DESERVES to play more.

I hope Pop doesn't go "hopelessly devoted" for Wallace, like he did with NVE, like he did some with Horry when he shouldn't have, like he has with Finley and NOT play a "rookie" as much as he should because he's force-feeding the vet more minutes.

I think he'd play Wallace regardless of how bad he plays or doesn't adapt or fits in and he would play a rookie less to get that done, even if that rookie was deserving of more minutes.

Y would the Spurs devote so much time, energy and resources to gather all these young players to do the same mistake they did last year and leave them rotting on the bench? Pops smart (although sumtimes stubborn) , he learned from his priar mistakes. At least I hope haha As long as Bonner's not playin 30+ min a game, I'm happy.

phyzik
06-27-2009, 10:39 PM
For my part, I like Sheeds experience but I also like Gortat's youth. I think the Spurs need some attitude though, not to mention some verteran experience up front, so Im leaning towards Sheed.

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 10:40 PM

1) We do sign Wallace

well he would if Gortat proved he can play well, who would've thought mason would be a starter this last season. anything can happen!

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
I can see a new spurs era being Tony, Blair, RJ, and Gortat

200 miles
06-27-2009, 10:45 PM
haha Naw, man, ZaZa is alright, but he's not an NBA starter. Gortat can be one but his offensive game is limited to interior play. A motivated Sheed (if he plays for a contender hopefully the Spurs) will outplay both, u shall see, but if the Spurs do go after Gortat, I won't mind.

Sheed is just too old and unpredictable, along with the dreaded possibility of another one of Pop's mancrushes for relics, which could hinder Ian's progress in logging heavy minutes.

smrattler
06-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Y would the Spurs devote so much time, energy and resources to gather all these young players to do the same mistake he did last year and leave them rotting on the bench? Pops smart (although sumtimes stubborn) , he learned from his priar mistakes. At least I hope haha As long as Bonner's not playin 30+ min a game, I'm happy.

Is Pop more stubborn than smart, or the other way around?

Sometimes it's tough to tell for me.

Besides, I don't think he thinks he's being stubborn when he does that. I think that's what he calls being loyal. Pop's very loyal to "his guys".

Either way, I would like Pop to play guys that deserve more minutes, regardless of who's feelings might get hurt. But Pop wouldn't be Pop if he did things "bottom line" like other coaches. Maybe this rare loyalty is part of what separates him from the rest.

smrattler
06-27-2009, 10:50 PM
well he would if Gortat proved he can play well, who would've thought mason would be a starter this last season. anything can happen!

What I mean is he wouldn't give Gortat the treatment he'd give Wallace, like he did for Horry, NVE, Fin, etc.

Gortat would just be another guy having to work for his minutes.

In that case, if a rookie like Blair was rolling, minutes would get distributed more fairly. At least in MY eyes, LOL!

I'm getting ahead of myself...

hoopdreams11
06-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Gortat gives you more trading value when Splitter decides to come over or not. You will have Mahinmi, Duncan, Gortat, Blair, Splitter, and maybe even Gist. We will have some young tradeable pieces to rebuild the team.

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Gortat gives you more trading value when Splitter decides to come over or not. You will have Mahinmi, Duncan, Gortat, Blair, Splitter, and maybe even Gist. We will have some young tradeable pieces to rebuild the team.

exactly!!! then go after a decent power forward to start slowly taking tims place....very slowly haha

:toast

EmantheSpursFan
06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
What I mean is he wouldn't give Gortat the treatment he'd give Wallace, like he did for Horry, NVE, Fin, etc.

Gortat would just be another guy having to work for his minutes.

In that case, if a rookie like Blair was rolling, minutes would get distributed more fairly. At least in MY eyes, LOL!

I'm getting ahead of myself...

HAHA i think we all are in one way or another just cant wait for the next season to start!!!

:flag: :lobt2:

Pucho!!!
06-28-2009, 12:20 AM
HAHA i think we all are in one way or another just cant wait for the next season to start!!!

:flag: :lobt2:

Couldn't agree with u more and like I said if the spurs went after Gortat I wouldn't mind. The offense might be reminicent of the twin towers days. And the point someone made about the Spurs having Gortat as a future tradeable asset is intruiging. Either one I think will improve the Spurs chances of gettin that Trophy :flag: : )

lefty
06-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Shortat

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Shortat

Hes about as tall as Tim and the same Height as Dwight Howard
How is that short?:wow

SouthTexasRancher
06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Sheed will have to be happy with our MLE. Reported tonight on Ticket 760 was Sheed really wants to play next season with the Magic. Not sure if this is to throw reporters off track or if he is serious. To get a guy under contract like a Camby will be next to impossible because all we have left to trade are Bonner, Mason & Hill and Pop/Holt/RC won't be giving up all 3 plus a bunch of cash.

It would be nice to get Sheed but, if Manu comes back 100% and Tim doesn't have flareups in his knees we won't necessarily need a lot of offense out of the center position. We will need a defensive presence in the paint to clog it up, take pressure off of Tim, to block shots and most importantly get rebounds. With our offensive lineup of shooters, both starters and bench players, a guy who can give us 5-8 pts per night along with 7-9 rebounds would fit in nicely with Pop's system. Maybe not even those stats would be needed. A center with height, length and flexability who can help us against LA in the WC Finals and against either Orlando, Cleveland or Boston in the NBA Finals.

We should know something in 3 days or so. I doubt the Spurs will let much time go by before signing someone of merit. In Pop & R.C. I trust!!!

Man In Black
06-28-2009, 12:46 AM
My question with all the Gortat lovers is...who could you trust in the post, both offensive and defensive post play IF DUNCAN WAS HURTING?

This is where Rasheed's experience would come into play. Gortat hasn't shown the skill to create a play, pass out of the double team, or patiently hold the ball to let the play develop. I agree his dive cuts to the rim are good, that he does as good a job as any 2nd-tier post player in holding his ground defensively. But if Duncan was hurt, could the Spurs rely on Gortat more than if they had Rasheed?

That is the question that Gortat backers must answer.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Sheed will have to be happy with our MLE. Reported tonight on Ticket 760 was Sheed really wants to play next season with the Magic. Not sure if this is to throw reporters off track or if he is serious. To get a guy under contract like a Camby will be next to impossible because all we have left to trade are Bonner, Mason & Hill and Pop/Holt/RC won't be giving up all 3 plus a bunch of cash.

It would be nice to get Sheed but, if Manu comes back 100% and Tim doesn't have flareups in his knees we won't necessarily need a lot of offense out of the center position. We will need a defensive presence in the paint to clog it up, take pressure off of Tim, to block shots and most importantly get rebounds. With our offensive lineup of shooters, both starters and bench players, a guy who can give us 5-8 pts per night along with 7-9 rebounds would fit in nicely with Pop's system. Maybe not even those stats would be needed. A center with height, length and flexability who can help us against LA in the WC Finals and against either Orlando, Cleveland or Boston in the NBA Finals.

We should know something in 3 days or so. I doubt the Spurs will let much time go by before signing someone of merit. In Pop & R.C. I trust!!!

Beat me to it! ESPN insider said "Sheed could join VC in Orlando"

so what does that tell you about Orlandos situation? is this Gortat insurance? hmmm....
:reading

SouthTexasRancher
06-28-2009, 12:55 AM

so what does that tell you about Orlandos situation? is this Gortat insurance? hmmm....

I think that presently there is all kinds of hype going around. There is no telling what Pop & R.C. will do. They always throw the rest of the NBA some unhittable curve balls. I do think we'll know something definite by Thursday. Teams and players on the move are ready to get things settled ASAP.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 12:56 AM

So, Sheed is in Orlando not SA. But, someone saw Sheed at the airport. :lmao

lefty
06-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Hes about as tall as Tim and the same Height as Dwight Howard
How is that short?:wow

No no no

Sheed+Gortat = Shortat

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
My question with all the Gortat lovers is...who could you trust in the post, both offensive and defensive post play IF DUNCAN WAS HURTING?

This is where Rasheed's experience would come into play. Gortat hasn't shown the skill to create a play, pass out of the double team, or patiently hold the ball to let the play develop. I agree his dive cuts to the rim are good, that he does as good a job as any 2nd-tier post player in holding his ground defensively. But if Duncan was hurt, could the Spurs rely on Gortat more than if they had Rasheed?

According to all of the WEB GM's, Gortat is the key to our next Championship... :wakeup

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 01:03 AM

Is there really anyone who can replace tim?? When Manu went out we were lucky to have Roger Mason Jr there getting some points and running/butchering backup point, its always a gamble the NBA is full of what ifs...

with that said, Gortat would not be Power Forward, he would remain Center, that roll might have to be filled by a youngin' but with Tony Gino RJ and Gortat at least you have 4 solid players who can help someone like Gist/Blair/Ian out, in the other hand with Rasheed, although i like his experience, he's also old who's to say he's not going to be joining tim on the bench hurting.... ???:wakeup

also sheed might be heading to Orlando, does that mean the front office went totally out on there bigs without no real replacements in mind??? Or does that mean that Sheed is more of a fan pipedream and Orlando is getting ready to loose Gortat???

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Is there really anyone who can replace tim?? When Manu went out we were lucky to have Roger Mason Jr there getting some points and running/butchering backup point, its always a gamble the NBA is full of what ifs...

with that said, Gortat would not be Power Forward, he would remain Center, that roll might have to be filled by a youngin' but with Tony Gino RJ and Gortat at least you have 4 solid players who can help someone like Gist/Blair/Ian out, in the other hand with Rasheed, although i like his experience, he's also old who's to say he's not going to be joining tim on the bench hurting.... ???:wakeup

also sheed might be heading to Orlando, does that mean the front office went totally out on there bigs without no real replacements in mind??? Or does that mean that Sheed is more of a fan pipedream and Orlando is getting ready to loose Gortat???

Orlando would rather have Sheed than Gortat... what does that tell you???:bang

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 01:09 AM
No no no

Sheed+Gortat = Shortat

haha :lol
or Gortallace? sounds like a Dinosaur that would just eat rebounds and Block anything trying to get through!

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 01:11 AM

Sheed fits them better right now he can stay on the 3 point line and keep the paint clear for Howard! Gortat works a lot like Howard so i think its an attempt to keep 2 bigs on the floor without clogging the lane.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 01:13 AM

Perhaps that their superstar big man must play close to the basket on offense because he has no jumpshot. The other big on the Magic must be able to play outside.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:17 AM
So, is Duncan or Gortat going to play outside for the Spurs? Or are they going to clog the middle for TP, RJ, and Manu???

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Can Gortat hit a jumper on the pick and roll???

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 01:21 AM
So, is Duncan or Gortat going to play outside for the Spurs? Or are they going to clog the middle for TP, RJ, and Manu???

Orlando doesnt play the same as we do, we know how to work 2 big men in the paint at the same time ie Tim and David AKA the TWIN TOWERS! But i do see your point, we still have Bonner in there just to shake things up if we need to.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 01:22 AM

Duncan is quite capable of playing outside.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Duncan is quite capable of playing outside.

Good Lord, say it aint so, we are pulling our best Post man further from the basket. Try again...:bang

duncan228
06-28-2009, 01:27 AM
Duncan played more outside this past season by design. He and Pop thought it would help preserve his body from the constant beating under the basket.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Good Lord, say it aint so, we are pulling our best Post man further from the basket. Try again...:bang

If you watched the Spurs play last year you would have seen Duncan positioned outside the paint quite frequently. Pop did this to reduce wear and tear.

While perimeter defenders can't make any sort of contact without drawing a whistle, post defenders are allowed to do almost anything short of mounting the offensive player. Of course, Duncan will be on the low post when it matters most, but he is likely to spend more and more time on the high post during the long regular seasons ahead.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Good luck trying to persuade RC and POP on bringing Gortat to SA, but I don't see it happening... nice try though. GO SPURS GO!!!!

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 01:35 AM
You just got to see what he did against the Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3SBbK_QxY

Plus if he gets a 2 year contract we can always trade him and get some decent diverse talent when we ship over Splitter

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Good luck trying to persuade RC and POP on bringing Gortat to SA, but I don't see it happening... nice try though. GO SPURS GO!!!!

The FO has had a pretty good offseason so far, I expect they'll target the man they believe gives the Spurs the best chance to win it all. Before the RJ trade and the draft, I was for going after Gortat. Now I think Dice is the best option.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 01:38 AM
If you watched the Spurs play last year you would have seen Duncan positioned outside the paint quite frequently. Pop did this to reduce wear and tear.

While perimeter defenders can't make any sort of contact without drawing a whistle, post defenders are allowed to do almost anything short of mounting the offensive player. Of course, Duncan will be on the low post when it matters most, but he is likely to spend more and more time on the high post during the long regular seasons ahead.

Of course, or Joey Crawford would call 3 seconds on Tim if he planted himself in the paint. I saw him post up many times last season and he will continue to post up, since that is the best part of his game. :flag:

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 01:38 AM

Also its good option for the pick and roll :wakeup

Man In Black
06-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Gortat lovers have yet to answer the question. Just the question with no other suppositions.

Oh and for some of you, the Spurs are a Lead Guard(Point) Wings, and Posts kind of team.
So that Center, PF traditional positions, only vaguely apply. When DRob was here, there was times where he played in, and then played out. Could Gortat do that? I haven't seen him. Nor have I seen him execute a HI-LO even though he had an excellent alley-oop catcher in Howard. Not saying Marcin wouldn't fit, I'm just saying that he wouldn't fit as well.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Gortat lovers have yet to answer the question. Just the question with no other suppositions.

Oh and for some of you, the Spurs are a Lead Guard(Point) Wings, and Posts kind of team.
So that Center, PF traditional positions, only vaguely apply. When DRob was here, there was times where he played in, and then played out. Could Gortat do that? I haven't seen him. Nor have I seen him execute a HI-LO even though he had an excellent alley-oop catcher in Howard. Not saying Marcin wouldn't fit, I'm just saying that he wouldn't fit as well.

Who would you have at Center?
If Sheed is in the line up at Power Forward for Tim that would be
Tony Manu Sheed RJ and _____?? lets say for arguments sake we throw Bonner in that last spot like last year,then you have 2 guys on the 3 point line, not collecting rebounds when you could have an athletic big like Gortat in there and have a line up like: Tim Tony Manu RJ Gortat and Bonner, it gives you the flexibility that we lost when Kurt/Fab left and if you have Sheed at Center then whos the Power Forward? Ian Gist Blair? people who have never played in a single NBA Game??

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:09 AM

I don't think Gortat spent any minutes on the floor with Howard at any point, he was simply the backup. Robinson was a face up offensive player, but everything he did on defense was traditional big-body center. Gortat plays exactly that. I don't give a fuck if the guy never gets a play drawn up for him or a shot from more than three feet from the rim. We've got four starters on the floor capable of averaging 20 ppg; any points Gortat gets are gravy, but I want him blocking shots and getting rebounds so the other four guys can have more opportunities to score.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't think Gortat spent any minutes on the floor with Howard at any point, he was simply the backup. Robinson was a face up offensive player, but everything he did on defense was traditional big-body center. Gortat plays exactly that. I don't give a fuck if the guy never gets a play drawn up for him or a shot from more than three feet from the rim. We've got four starters on the floor capable of averaging 20 ppg; any points Gortat gets are gravy, but I want him blocking shots and getting rebounds so the other four guys can have more opportunities to score.

Gortat is a spurstalk.com wet dream. :wgaf:

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 02:13 AM

And what exactly makes your opinion so much more worthy of attention?

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:15 AM

He's the best available center, and the Spurs need a center. It's not everyone else's fault you never saw the guy play. If you don't give a fuck, you're certainly spending way too much time defending your poorly thought out position.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:17 AM
And what exactly makes your opinion so much more worthy of attention?

I just DON'T see what the BIG deal is about this ONE guy. Gortat, Gortat, Gortat, is all I hear, NO one else can do what GORTAT can do for the Spurs? That is my main point, I don't see his "special" abilities that you guys see.

I don't see a guy that is that different than what we had in Fab and K. Thomas.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:19 AM
I just DON'T see what the BIG deal is about this ONE guy. Gortat, Gortat, Gortat, is all I hear, NO one else can do what GORTAT can do for the Spurs? That is my main point, I don't see his "special" abilities that you guys see.

Not having watched the guy play, ever, would be your first obstacle to understanding. Those of us that did watch him play are trying to tell you, but you don't seem interested in listening.

BTW, if you're tired of hearing about Gortat, perhaps hanging out in a thread where he's being discussed is be a bad idea.

Man In Black
06-28-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't give a fuck if the guy never gets a play drawn up for him or a shot from more than three feet from the rim.

IMHO, therein lies the problem. In order to win, there needs to be balance on the floor. if Gortat, can't establish himself on the O, then teams will try to get the ball to rotate to Gortat. He needs to be able to pass out of a double-team or be able to split a double and PLAY D. The play D part, he seems to have. But, again...balance is so key. And to me, pretty good d, limited o...not so balanced.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:21 AM
He's the best available center, and the Spurs need a center. It's not everyone else's fault you never saw the guy play. If you don't give a fuck, you're certainly spending way too much time defending your poorly thought out position.

OK, I will leave Gortat alone, he is just a wet dream anyway, we will never sign him.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 02:22 AM

It is one thing to disagree, it is another to point at another opinion with the wgaf sign.

Gortat brings a level of athletic ability that Oberto probably never had and that KT last put on display at TCU.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 02:24 AM

It makes sense when you think about it, IF Orlando gets Sheed then is Gortat a need there? Spurs have a need and have the MLE to offer. He only got paid $711,517 this past season he's looking for a raise and again if Orlando gets Sheed to they have the money to keep him? :depressed NOPE!!!!
That leaves us to offer our MLE and offer him a starting Center position!
:king

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:28 AM
It makes sense when you think about it, IF Orlando gets Sheed then is Gortat a need there? Spurs have a need and have the MLE to offer. He only got paid $711,517 this past season he's looking for a raise and again if Orlando gets Sheed to they have the money to keep him? :depressed NOPE!!!!
That leaves us to offer our MLE and offer him a starting Center position!
:king

No thanks, we will sign Sheed by Thursday morning. :flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Its always going to be a gable personally i think he's going to have a breakout year, where as Sheed is more at risk of having a Breakdown year...
Gortat is younger and if we get him in a 2 year deal we can trade him next year when Splitter comes over and get help what ever area we may need

TimDunkem
06-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Wtf. Gortat is a wet dream and Sheed isn't.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 02:32 AM
No thanks, we will sign Sheed by Thursday morning. :flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Thats the beautiful thing about the off season, the mystery. Who knows maybe the spurs stay with gooden and bonner :lmao
Till then let the good discussion continue

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Thats the beautiful thing about the off season, the mystery. Who knows maybe the spurs stay with gooden and bonner :lmao
Till then let the good discussion continue

Hey Eman, Not bad for your 1st thread. Way to pick a good topic and :stirpot:, I am sure :pop: will add the right guy to our team!!!

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Hey Eman, Not bad for your 1st thread. Way to pick a good topic and :stirpot:, I am sure :pop: will add the right guy to our team!!!

Thanks!

This off season has fully put back faith in our FO, i'm sure pop is just sittin' back drinking some wine and waiting till thursday to finally assemble his team!:whine then we will once again go crazy and talk about how we cant wait till season starts! :flag:

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 03:04 AM
You just got to see what he did against the Lakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud3SBbK_QxY

Plus if he gets a 2 year contract we can always trade him and get some decent diverse talent when we ship over Splitter

If we can sign Gortat or Sheed this guy is available. He has playoff and Finals experience. :wakeup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qCnDmEMEE&NR=1

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 03:12 AM
If we can sign Gortat or Sheed this guy is available. He has playoff and Finals experience. :wakeup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0qCnDmEMEE&NR=1

haha i loved rasho when he played for us, but right now i dont think he's fast enough to play with the young guns. idk that was one of my pet peeves about him was his quickness. Although once he was set it was tough for anyone to get to the basket...hmm i just think if we use the money wisely we could get Rasho 2.0 in Gortat haha

Spurs da champs
06-28-2009, 03:40 AM
LOL..come on now..I'm for 'Sheed too, but there's a reason a number of teams are gonna be looking at Gortat..

Wallace is definitely my #1 option, but Gortat would be a very good Plan B IMO..his defense against Gasol and Bynum in the Finals was very good, which makes it even more appealing..
Far from it.

Sheed can play decent d and can score. We need a long term center though not these one stint guys here.

Mr. Body
06-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Gortat looks passable as a journeyman in those videos, but nothing to hang an offseason bigman's hopes on.

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 03:50 AM
i dont know guys. sheed is a fucking hot head. always has been. you cant teach an old dog new tricks. his ego is bigger than the att center. gortat seems like a better fit. i just saw him pushing around bynum and gasol like bitches. if you think he looked good now consider his current coach. under pop and our system he will look like a fucking allstar. (maybe not an allstar)

Mr. Body
06-28-2009, 03:53 AM
i dont know guys. sheed is a fucking hot head. always has been. you cant teach an old dog new tricks. his ego is bigger than the att center. gortat seems like a better fit. i just saw him pushing around bynum and gasol like bitches. if you think he looked good now consider his current coach. under pop and our system he will look like a fucking allstar. (maybe not an allstar)

Couldn't disagree more.

Darkwaters
06-28-2009, 03:54 AM

What, make too much money? I agree.

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 03:54 AM
Far from it.

Sheed can play decent d and can score. We need a long term center though not these one stint guys here.

sheed aint getting any younger. he does stupid shit like shoot threes left handed. we dont need his scoring. all we need is a rebounder and a shot blocker. i dont see why everyone here want him. we all agreed ben wallace was past his prime. same goes for sheed.

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Couldn't disagree more. with what? the allstar comment.lol :rollin

Mugen
06-28-2009, 03:56 AM
i like gortat but he will never, ever have the talent that sheed possesses.

the league will tremble in fear if the spurs sign rasheed, thats all you need to know.

Darkwaters
06-28-2009, 04:00 AM
the league will tremble in fear if the spurs sign rasheed, thats all you need to know.

I agree with that comment. Regardless of how good Gortat is or can be, the league will serious go into convulsions if we sign Sheed and not Gortat. That alone would be a fun thing to see. I can see Lakers, Cavs, and Magic fans now saying: "have you seen their starting lineup?"

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Wallace

"Yikes!!"

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 05:24 AM
OK, I will leave Gortat alone, he is just a wet dream anyway, we will never sign him.

And in this you are probably correct. He's too risky to make an offer for, and the Spurs can't really afford him. This would be the absolutely perfect place for him, though. That said, Rasheed isn't any more attainable than Gortat is. To get either, they have to want to be in San Antonio.

IMHO, therein lies the problem. In order to win, there needs to be balance on the floor. if Gortat, can't establish himself on the O, then teams will try to get the ball to rotate to Gortat. He needs to be able to pass out of a double-team or be able to split a double and PLAY D. The play D part, he seems to have. But, again...balance is so key. And to me, pretty good d, limited o...not so balanced.

I never said the guy couldn't score. He's a good rebounder, he has good touch around the rim, he's mobile. What I'm saying is that I'd take him on the Spurs if he had zero offensive game and only scored on putbacks and layups. It's a given that the center is going to be given opportunities if he's on the floor with Manu, Parker, Duncan and RJ.

The_Game
06-28-2009, 05:25 AM
i like gortat but he will never, ever have the talent that sheed possesses.

lol nobody is going to be scared of a freaking 35 year old, 40 % shooter...get real.

The_Game
06-28-2009, 05:26 AM
I agree with that comment. Regardless of how good Gortat is or can be, the league will serious go into convulsions if we sign Sheed and not Gortat. That alone would be a fun thing to see. I can see Lakers, Cavs, and Magic fans now saying: "have you seen their starting lineup?"

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Wallace

"Yikes!!"

IT would look great 5 years ago

Duncan is on the decline, sheed is almost done..Manu is coming off a season ending injury...this spurs team is good on paper but they are not the players they were so it is still not the best team.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 05:26 AM
i like gortat but he will probably never, ever have the talent that sheed possessed five years ago.

fify

Mugen
06-28-2009, 05:32 AM
fify

haha im sorry but if tim is still gonna be able to be serviceable at 34 than id like to believe that rasheed is still gonna be also at 35.

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 05:39 AM
IT would look great 5 years ago

Duncan is on the decline, sheed is almost done..Manu is coming off a season ending injury...this spurs team is good on paper but they are not the players they were so it is still not the best team. this is true. i will be pissed if we sign sheed. we need to get younger not older.

BackHome
06-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I just want a center that can bang and rebound and get his points from put backs and dunks. So to me Gor fits that mold and he abused Gasol and Bynum so just for that fact I would sign him over Sheed.

The other thing is that Gor loves to set picks and can actualy do that unlike Gooden who for some unknown reason can't figure how to set a pick?

At the end of the day I don't care who we get just as long as we get a freakinn Center!!!!

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 08:28 AM
haha im sorry but if tim is still gonna be able to be serviceable at 34 than id like to believe that rasheed is still gonna be also at 35.

Fair enough. I've already said that Rasheed could help the Spurs by basically being a better version of what Bonner was last year. He can camp out at the three point line all season long if he plays defense, blocks and rebounds.

That said, there's very little doubt that as traditional centers go, Gortat's the best case scenario for the Spurs. He's 25 years old, he's athletic, he's an excellent rebounder and shot blocker, he has good hands, he's got a high basketball IQ and he's no doubt tired of having to be Dwight Howard's backup. His acquisition also makes Splitter into a gigantic trade asset.

Sissiborgo
06-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Rasheed for sure!:fro

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 09:50 AM
to compare sheed and gortat is like comparing Duncan with mahinmi....There is absolutly no comparison..Gortat's range is about 1ft from the basket and at this point in hs career is a reserve only type player. Sheed will be high on spurs wishlist as gortat should be right around the emergency bigman plan portion of the list..

Slinkyman
06-28-2009, 10:01 AM
to compare sheed and gortat is like comparing Duncan with mahinmi....There is absolutly no comparison..Gortat's range is about 1ft from the basket and at this point in hs career is a reserve only type player. Sheed will be high on spurs wishlist as gortat should be right around the emergency bigman plan portion of the list..

yeah i don't understand the comparison either. Rasheed is a known commodity while Gortat has very little experience, 69 regular season games played and not much to show for it except a few good games. Rasheed will command the full MLE how much would Gortat command? Someone will probably overpay for Gortat hopefully it's not us.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Fair enough. I've already said that Rasheed could help the Spurs by basically being a better version of what Bonner was last year. He can camp out at the three point line all season long if he plays defense, blocks and rebounds.

That said, there's very little doubt that as traditional centers go, Gortat's the best case scenario for the Spurs. He's 25 years old, he's athletic, he's an excellent rebounder and shot blocker, he has good hands, he's got a high basketball IQ and he's no doubt tired of having to be Dwight Howard's backup. His acquisition also makes Splitter into a gigantic trade asset.

Athletic??? I will have what you are having... stop drinking the kool-aid. :drunk:drunk:drunk

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 10:16 AM
yeah i don't understand the comparison either. Rasheed is a known commodity while Gortat has very little experience, 69 regular season games played and not much to show for it except a few good games. Rasheed will command the full MLE how much would Gortat command? Someone will probably overpay for Gortat hopefully it's not us.

Somehow, we will not Gortat to score, just rebound and block shots blah, blah, blah. And Gortat these Gortat lovers want Sheed in Orlando and then we can sign Gortat. We get the leftovers, because he is better... hahahaha:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 10:17 AM

I totally agree...:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Give me the HOT HEAD, I am not scared. It a better option than this mediocure journeyman center, Gortat. Pop will keep Sheed in check. Sheed will take the soft label off of our team... Sheed will be signed by Thursday morning... Go Spurs Go!!!!:toast:toast:toast:toast

The_Game
06-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Give me the HOT HEAD, I am not scared. It a better option than this mediocure journeyman center, Gortat. Pop will keep Sheed in check. Sheed will take the soft label off of our team... Sheed will be signed by Thursday morning... Go Spurs Go!!!!:toast:toast:toast:toast

moron

players can't be signed yet

Shastafarian
06-28-2009, 10:32 AM
moron

players can't be signed yet

The moratorium on signing FA ends on July 1st. Thursday would be July 2nd. Next time know what you're talking about before calling someone a name.

ploto
06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Did some of you even watch Rasheed play this last year?

ploto
06-28-2009, 10:34 AM
The moratorium on signing FA ends on July 1st. Thursday would be July 2nd. Next time know what you're talking about before calling someone a name.

Contracts can not be signed yet then.

Mel_13
06-28-2009, 10:34 AM

The moratorium begins on July 1st and ends on July 8th. Players may not be signed before July 8th.

Shastafarian
06-28-2009, 10:35 AM
The moratorium begins on July 1st and ends on July 8th. Players may not be signed before July 8th.

hmmm. Yeah, looks like I'm the moron.

Shastafarian
06-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Contracts can not be signed yet then.

Yeah, they can agree in principle starting on the 1st. It's what 4RINGS meant. The_Game is just an insecure Lakers fan.

Shastafarian
06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
<--------- http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/fail-owned-double-fail.jpg?w=500&h=375

benefactor
06-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Some of you who are posting in this thread need to either come with some sort of real argument...you know, like ones that come from actually watching a player...or GTFO. Saying things like "Gortat is not athletic" or "What if Tim is hurting" doesn't even require a response because you have already owned yourself completely.

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Some of you who are posting in this thread need to either come with some sort of real argument...you know, like ones that come from actually watching a player...or GTFO. Saying things like "Gortat is not athletic" or "What if Tim is hurting" doesn't even require a response because you have already owned yourself completely.

I have seen gortat play and I simply do not believe he is worth a starting center's salary (mle or more). I do believe he is an adequete back up center and worth having for his 10-12 minutes a game. The title of this thread is gortat or sheed and I choose sheed and believe he is still a bald head and shoulders above Gortat. I believe sheed is still better defensivly and can still stretch a defense with his outside shooting.

vander
06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
neither appeals to me all that much, but if forced, I'd go with sheed because of his apparent connections with Pop and TD.

If Finley re-signs, what are the chances we could package him and something/someone for a guy like Kaman from the clips? just a random thought, but I like Kaman, and the clips are known to make stupid moves to save money.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:42 PM

The Spurs don't have enough scorers on the floor for you? How many basketballs are they going to have on the floor at once? The center's job is to rebound and block shots.

The reason Gortat's a reserve is because he happens to play on a team with the best center in the league. He's gotten double coubles virtually every time he's started for Orlando. He'd probably start for at least 20 other teams.

Ace9
06-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Wow looks like a 50-50 slice through this forum. I think I'd have to go Sheed. He's a talented, vet big and Gortat doesn't really do it for me. I saw all the Finals games and really he wasn't a huge factor. Infact, my biggest memory of him in the Finals was when he missed 2 freethrows...so take whatever you want from that.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow looks like a 50-50 slice through this forum. I think I'd have to go Sheed. He's a talented, vet big and Gortat doesn't really do it for me. I saw all the Finals games and really he wasn't a huge factor. Infact, my biggest memory of him in the Finals was when he missed 2 freethrows...so take whatever you want from that.

Gortat was a bigger factor in the finals than Rasheed was.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

He shoots < 60% from the Free Throw line. Brick city.:bang:bang

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Gortat was a bigger factor in the finals than Rasheed was.

So you are telling me that gortat will increase the chances of a championship over Wallace? Thats what this thread is all about not if gortat can start for 20 other teams cause if that is your arguement then wallace could start for just about 21 nba teams..top that :lol

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 03:49 PM
So you are telling me that gortat will increase the chances of a championship over Wallace? Thats what this thread is all about not if gortat can start for 20 other teams cause if that is your arguement then wallace could start for just about 21 nba teams..top that :lol

Rasheed's mailed it in during the playoffs more than once in the past few years, so don't act like he's somehow this big game player. Some of the biggest playoff highlights of his career involve Spur players shooting threes over him.

People keep using Gortat's status as a backup in attempts to diminish his play. I was simply pointing out that he backs up the best player at his position in the league. It's really great that Rasheed has the capability to play inside and outside at two positions, otherwise he wouldn't even be in this discussion.

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 03:52 PM
Rasheed's mailed it in during the playoffs more than once in the past few years, so don't act like he's somehow this big game player. Some of the biggest playoff highlights of his career involve Spur players shooting threes over him.

People keep using Gortat's status as a backup in attempts to diminish his play. I was simply pointing out that he backs up the best player at his position in the league. It's really great that Rasheed has the capability to play inside and outside at two positions, otherwise he wouldn't even be in this discussion.

still didn't answer the post. Both players are offered mle, gortat or wallace?

Obstructed_View
06-28-2009, 04:06 PM
still didn't answer the post. Both players are offered mle, gortat or wallace?

That wasn't what you asked, but I'll answer, even though you can't offer the MLE to two players.

Rasheed is clearly the first choice, but there's no guarantee you're going to get him for the MLE, and he does have flaws, not limited to his age, his commitment level and conditioning lately, as well as his history of on and off the court issues. He's failed to show up in big moments of playoff games the last couple of years and he's had an on-court meltdown on the officials in crunch time at least once that I remember. There's also the issue that shots are going to be at a premium during the upcoming year, and the Spurs have never had this many guys on the floor at once who will be needing the ball. That's historically been a problem for NBA teams with lots of stars. If the Spurs decide to go with a traditional big-body true center, Gortat could be poised to step in and provide big production and take a lot of pressure off Timmy without needing the ball. That could very well be the better choice, particularly in the long run if you think Gortat's going to be a better NBA center than Splitter.

Man In Black
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Dude, don't test my intelligence. I asked a RELEVANT question. IF Tim was hurting, could Pop run his offense almost as effectively with the relatively inexpereinced Gortat vs. an experienced Wallace. Again, a relevant question.
So just answer the damn question with some worthy insight.

Let's say Tim isn't hurt but he just need his rest during the game and Pop still wanted to run 4-down. Couldn't do it with Bonner or Oberto, had very limited success with Rasho, but Gortat do that? IMO right now, that's a hell no and if you can't see that...well, then you can't be helped. I wonder how many guys thinking Gortat are like the ones who championed SUCKMYWOKANDI all those years ago. so how did that turn out?

I called that just like I'm calling this one. Gortat, while tantalizing, is never going to be more than a JOURNEYMAN.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Somehow, we will not Gortat to score, just rebound and block shots blah, blah, blah. And Gortat these Gortat lovers want Sheed in Orlando and then we can sign Gortat. We get the leftovers, because he is better... hahahaha:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Hhhmmmmm......Orlando is trying to mimic the spurs in a sense they want to have a center who can shoot the 3 ball, now that they lost turk who was what, 6'10 and got a more traditional 6'6 Vince Carter they lost some edge they had when playing teams like the Cavs. Gortat plays a lot like Howard which is good but you cant play him and Howard at the same time b/c they would clog the lane, but suddenly if they get Sheed, he stays on the 3 point like and occasionally grabs a few rebounds while Dwight BANGS up everybody on the inside, while i'm glad all of you think Tim can still Destroy people in the paint by himself but thats not going to be the case when we go against the tall line up that the Lakers have! Gortat has been limited this season by being in the shadow of Howard and since he is still young he can take 82 games playing heavy minutes and being banged up here and there!

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Hhhmmmmm......Orlando is trying to mimic the spurs in a sense they want to have a center who can shoot the 3 ball, now that they lost turk who was what, 6'10 and got a more traditional 6'6 Vince Carter they lost some edge they had when playing teams like the Cavs. Gortat plays a lot like Howard which is good but you cant play him and Howard at the same time b/c they would clog the lane, but suddenly if they get Sheed, he stays on the 3 point like and occasionally grabs a few rebounds while Dwight BANGS up everybody on the inside, while i'm glad all of you think Tim can still Destroy people in the paint by himself but thats not going to be the case when we go against the tall line up that the Lakers have! Gortat has been limited this season by being in the shadow of Howard and since he is still young he can take 82 games playing heavy minutes and being banged up here and there!

Hey Eman, Gortat is a Restricted FA, do you still think we will make a run at him?:flag:

jj cain
06-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Athletic??? I will have what you are having... stop drinking the kool-aid. :drunk:drunk:drunk

So, Gortat isn't athletic? Moron. Now I am convinced you've actually never seen him play. I get it, he's a white 7 footer, so he's obviously slow, can't jump & uncoordinated. Cool. Your comments make you look clueless.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey Eman, Gortat is a Restricted FA, do you still think we will make a run at him?:flag:

Is he a restricted free agent

Restricted free agency exists only on a limited basis. It is allowed following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for first round draft picks (see question number 41). It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who have been in the league three or fewer seasons. However, a first round draft pick becomes an unrestricted free agent following his second or third season if his team does not exercise its option to extend the player's rookie scale contract for the next season. All other free agency is limited to unrestricted free agency.

In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player by June 30. This prevents the team from not offering a contract and waiting to swoop in when the player tries to sign elsewhere. The qualifying offer ensures that the team does not gain the right of first refusal without also offering a contract themselves. The amount of the qualifying offer for players on rookie "scale" contracts is based on the player's draft position (see question number 41). The qualifying offer for all other players must be for 125% of the player's previous salary, or the player's minimum salary (see question number 11) plus $175,000, whichever is greater. The qualifying offer must be for one season. A player can elect to accept his qualifying offer (the qualifying offer must be accepted by March 1) and play the following season under its terms. This is sometimes done in order to become an unrestricted free agent the following summer

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q36

Even if he is i think we can still make a run at him, i think he's looking for more money and since Orlando is looking at Sheed he becomes expandable...

Kori Ellis
06-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, he's restricted.

benefactor
06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Dude, don't test my intelligence. I asked a RELEVANT question. IF Tim was hurting, could Pop run his offense almost as effectively with the relatively inexpereinced Gortat vs. an experienced Wallace. Again, a relevant question.
So just answer the damn question with some worthy insight.

Let's say Tim isn't hurt but he just need his rest during the game and Pop still wanted to run 4-down. Couldn't do it with Bonner or Oberto, had very limited success with Rasho, but Gortat do that? IMO right now, that's a hell no and if you can't see that...well, then you can't be helped. I wonder how many guys thinking Gortat are like the ones who championed SUCKMYWOKANDI all those years ago. so how did that turn out?

I called that just like I'm calling this one. Gortat, while tantalizing, is never going to be more than a JOURNEYMAN.
No...it's not a relevant question...it's a stupid question and the answer is obvious. If Tim is hurting it matters little who is playing center, because we are not going anywhere or doing anything meaningful from a championship perspective. Would we be a little better off functionally with Sheed if Duncan got hurt? Probably. But your argument means absolutely nothing on the grand scheme of things.

The last half of your scenario is even more stupid. Lol...when do we ever run 4 down when Duncan is off the floor? If Duncan is on the bench then the offense will initiated by Tony or Manu...or possibly RJ now that he is a part of the team. We will be running little to no plays for Sheed or Gortat. They will only be there to score from an opportunistic standpoint, where Sheed will hit outside shots when he is open and Gortat will score on garbage points and the pick and roll(which he is quite good at).

jj cain
06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I have seen gortat play and I simply do not believe he is worth a starting center's salary (mle or more). I do believe he is an adequete back up center and worth having for his 10-12 minutes a game. The title of this thread is gortat or sheed and I choose sheed and believe he is still a bald head and shoulders above Gortat. I believe sheed is still better defensivly and can still stretch a defense with his outside shooting.

Like I posted earlier in this thread. Gortat had 16 games this year where he got 20 or more minutes, most of those were 20-25, but he had a few big minute games when Howard was out.

In those 16, he averaged 9 points, 9 rebounds & 1.6 blocks. In those 16, he had 6 13+ rebound games including one with 18. He had 5 games with 3 or more blocks including one with 5.

In games where he got 28 min's or more (which would be a reasonable number as a starting C) he averaged 10 points, 10.7 rebounds, 1.7 blocks & 1.3 steals.

Now please tell me 30 other centers in the league that do better than that.

Sheed averaged 12 & 7 the last 3 years & averaged 1.3 blocks & .9 steals this year. He also missed around 20 games this past season.

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 05:15 PM
like i posted earlier in this thread. Gortat had 16 games this year where he got 20 or more minutes, most of those were 20-25, but he had a few big minute games when howard was out.

In those 16, he averaged 9 points, 9 rebounds & 1.6 blocks. In those 16, he had 6 13+ rebound games including one with 18. He had 5 games with 3 or more blocks including one with 5.

In games where he got 28 min's or more (which would be a reasonable number as a starting c) he averaged 10 points, 10.7 rebounds, 1.7 blocks & 1.3 steals.

Sheed averaged 12 & 7 the last 3 years & averaged 1.3 blocks & .9 steals this year. He also missed around 20 games this past season.

+1

gaspar
06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
"Gortat or Sheed?"
Ask Delambert this question ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzu0A5FKuI especially 4:25-7:35

EmantheSpursFan
06-28-2009, 05:40 PM
He's been living in the shadow in Howard i think if the spurs get him its going to allow him to have a breakout year!

Kori Ellis
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
He's been living in the shadow in Howard i think if the spurs get him its going to allow him to have a breakout year!

So how much do you want to pay him?

Do you think he's worth making an offer to and then having to wait the 7 days (because he's restricted) and maybe missing out on other players during that time?

EricB
06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't get the "Gortats gonna break out"

With what offensive talents?

Hes the turkish Hasheem Thabeet.

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Like I posted earlier in this thread. Gortat had 16 games this year where he got 20 or more minutes, most of those were 20-25, but he had a few big minute games when Howard was out.

In games where he got 28 min's or more (which would be a reasonable number as a starting C) he averaged 10 points, 10.7 rebounds, 1.7 blocks & 1.3 steals.

You dont get what I am trying to say..Ok, once again, gortat will probably command a contract around 4-5 mil which is close to the mle..Would you rather have sheed or gortat playing center next to duncan? Gortat might be a good rebounder, but, does he gel with the spurs team? I think not, when gortat can develop a 10-15 t jump shot then maybe he is worth a shot, until then he would only be a bench player who is not worth a fat contract.

BillMc
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
This is my first thread and i'm kinda new to spurstalk so if this thread exist already, my bad.

Anyways spurs have the MLE to offer i would hope they go after Gortat fisrt, hes younger and has recent finals expirence. Sheed has always been one of my favorite players growing up, watching him and Duncan go after in in 2005 is always going to be one of my favorite Finals match ups BUT lets face is he's not getting younger and we already have Bonner who can create match up problems so Gortat can be our grind out guy to play D and get rebounds...

what do ya'll think?

here are there numbers from this past season
Rasheed> http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=883

Gortat> http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2758

take a look at the minutes comparison before you judge the staight up points and rebounds

anyway i have faith in our FO again and here's to this coming season!

A very interesting thread. And as it was your first thread, thank you. Welcome to the boards.

My personal opinion is Sheed would be better simply because he's so smart with the basketball that he would fit the Spurs system beautifully, finding the open man, maintaining spacing, etc. If Sheed has lost a step, and by some chance Blair blossoms, then Sheed would be a great bench leader. Pairing him with Manu would give us the smartest bench players in the NBA.

I don't know too much about Gortat honestly, but he seems a bit raw from one I read on other posts. He could work in a Spurs system too. Somewhat like Mark Eaton in the old Jazz system. But my first choice would be Sheed.

Best, Bill

jj cain
06-28-2009, 06:07 PM
You dont get what I am trying to say..Ok, once again, gortat will probably command a contract around 4-5 mil which is close to the mle..Would you rather have sheed or gortat playing center next to duncan? Gortat might be a good rebounder, but, does he gel with the spurs team? I think not, when gortat can develop a 10-15 t jump shot then maybe he is worth a shot, until then he would only be a bench player who is not worth a fat contract.

I get EXACTLY what your are saying and you are off. Gortat IS a starting center on just about any team outside of Orlando, LA & a few others. 7 footers that average double/doubles in 28 min's & can block shots & play D ARE starting centers. Those aren't bench player numbers.

And I've already stated multiple times on this thread that I prefer Sheed, but the point is, if he doesn't sign here we still need a big man. Gortat is one of a handful of guys that could make a difference.

Pucho!!!
06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Since sum suggest that the signing of Gortat would spell the end of the Splitter to the Spurs wait and that he would either be used in a trade or sign with sumone else, who is the better young big, Splitter or Gortat?

Man In Black
06-28-2009, 06:37 PM
No...it's not a relevant question...it's a stupid question and the answer is obvious. If Tim is hurting it matters little who is playing center, because we are not going anywhere or doing anything meaningful from a championship perspective. Would we be a little better off functionally with Sheed if Duncan got hurt? Probably. But your argument means absolutely nothing on the grand scheme of things.

The last half of your scenario is even more stupid. Lol...when do we ever run 4 down when Duncan is off the floor? If Duncan is on the bench then the offense will initiated by Tony or Manu...or possibly RJ now that he is a part of the team. We will be running little to no plays for Sheed or Gortat. They will only be there to score from an opportunistic standpoint, where Sheed will hit outside shots when he is open and Gortat will score on garbage points and the pick and roll(which he is quite good at).
Tip toe answer and you know this.

I can't believe I have to OVER simplify this for you but I'm game. Let's not talk about possibilities of championships or series wins or any of that stuff.

Just analyze their skills and then tell us all O WISE ONE, that if the ball was thrown into the post, who could the Spurs trust more...Gortat or Wallace. JUST ANSWER JUST THAT QUESTION. If you tip toe again, then I'll already know what you won't say.

Just looking at relative skill sets. Wallace has forgotten more about low-post moves than Gortat knows. That's the truth. RECOGNIZE.

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 07:10 PM
I get EXACTLY what your are saying and you are off. Gortat IS a starting center on just about any team outside of Orlando, LA & a few others. 7 footers that average double/doubles in 28 min's & can block shots & play D ARE starting centers. Those aren't bench player numbers.

And I've already stated multiple times on this thread that I prefer Sheed, but the point is, if he doesn't sign here we still need a big man. Gortat is one of a handful of guys that could make a difference.

Let someone else experiment with this guy, put the the spurs in the others category! Posting 4 or 5 double doubles in a season during blow out games is not bad, but to pay starter type $ for him, no thanks (hopefully the spurs well agree):nope

BackHome
06-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Well if your starting line up looks like this:

PG. Tony
SG. Manu
SF. Jefferson
PF. Blair
C. Gorat

That group may not beat the Lakers and Cavs but they will win against most teams. In fact I wouldn't mind if Duncan takes a few weaks off that always makes us a stronger team in that people step up and jell faster.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Sheed for winning now while we still have Duncan.

BackHome
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't care who we get but they better be able to guard players like Shaq, Yao, Howard, Nene, and Bynum. So who ever we get they better be hitting the weight room or they going to get punked!

HarlemHeat37
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Bynum was completely shut down by Gortat in the Finals, he couldn't get anything on him at all..he also did a great job on Gasol when he guarded him 1 on 1..

I'll break it down further, just to summarize..

first of all, for those against Gortat, who is your option instead?..I keep seeing people write that Gortat isn't worth starting $, but who is?..we clearly need another big man to start for this team, so getting somebody is a must..there might be somebody, so I'd like to hear your opinions..remember that signing Gortat and paying the luxury tax would also allow us to keep some of our talent like Roger Mason, which wouldn't be a case if we made a trade for a guy like Camby..

Again, my pick is Rasheed Wallace, but I don't really understand the hate on Marcin..

We're going to have FOUR big-time scorers on the floor at the same time..3 of them are ELITE playmakers..so Gortat's 1 on 1 scoring ability is completely irrelevant..

The Celtics have the same guy in Kendrick Perkins..while Gortat isn't Perkins, he plays a similar game..Perkins is one of the best defenders in the NBA, so I'm not saying Gortat is as good..Boston has 3 great scorers on the floor, and 1 good scorer/great playmaker in Rondo..Perkins feeds off of them, plays defense, provides toughness, and rebounds..

Gortat just has to finish, which he clearly can do..he's athletic, and he finishes strong at the basket..there's absolutely NO reason to expect him to go 1 on 1 against anybody..do you guys see any reason to run a play for the 5th guy when you have Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Richard Jefferson on your team?!..obviously not..

For those who still don't understand..Gortat is the backup to Dwight Howard..he can't play next to him due to Orlando's system that causes mismatches with their small PF that shoot, and Howard's lack of versatility in his offensive game..Dwight is also one of the most durable players in the NBA, so his playing time is never a concern..

Tim Duncan is not Dwight Howard..before the injury, Tim was shooting his best % off jumpers in his career..it was clearly a part of his game that he worked on during the off-season..he was using the bank shot more than ever, and he's a better passer than he's ever been..he's going to be playing the high post a lot..

Rasheed is the better option due to his experience, ability to spread the floor, and the fact that he's more talented if he's motivated..Wallace has the same amount of risks though..there's a very possible chance that Wallace is no longer the same impact player that we expected, just like there's the risk that Gortat isn't worth the $ we're going to give him..

How does anybody know which teams are pursuing Gortat?!..teams aren't going to talk about it right now, so how can that be used as a knock against him..

IMO, we can't go wrong with either guy..

benefactor
06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Tip toe answer and you know this.

I can't believe I have to OVER simplify this for you but I'm game. Let's not talk about possibilities of championships or series wins or any of that stuff.

Just analyze their skills and then tell us all O WISE ONE, that if the ball was thrown into the post, who could the Spurs trust more...Gortat or Wallace. JUST ANSWER JUST THAT QUESTION. If you tip toe again, then I'll already know what you won't say.

Just looking at relative skill sets. Wallace has forgotten more about low-post moves than Gortat knows. That's the truth. RECOGNIZE.
I already answered that question...and if you had spent more time reading my post and less time picking which words you were going to capitalize in your response then you would have seen that. It's not like it matters though...because it doesn't change the fact that neither of them will see the ball in the post on an isolation more than a half dozen times next season if they are on our roster.

Both are good options for various reasons. If I am paying the same amount of money and have to choose then I go with Sheed because of his shooting and the fact that there a lot of young bigs on our roster already. Gortat runs the floor better, could guard quicker bigs better and is likely a better shot blocker...and if we are being honest that is all we really need in a big man.

yavozerb
06-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Bynum was completely shut down by Gortat in the Finals, he couldn't get anything on him at all..he also did a great job on Gasol when he guarded him 1 on 1..

first of all, for those against Gortat, who is your option instead?..I keep seeing people write that Gortat isn't worth starting $, but who is?..we clearly need another big man to start for this team, so getting somebody is a must..there might be somebody, so I'd like to hear your opinions..remember that signing Gortat and paying the luxury tax would also allow us to keep some of our talent like Roger Mason, which wouldn't be a case if we made a trade for a guy like Camby..

Again, my pick is Rasheed Wallace, but I don't really understand the hate on Marcin..

We're going to have FOUR big-time scorers on the floor at the same time..3 of them are ELITE playmakers..so Gortat's 1 on 1 scoring ability is completely irrelevant..

The Celtics have the same guy in Kendrick Perkins..while Gortat isn't Perkins, he plays a similar game..Perkins is one of the best defenders in the NBA, so I'm not saying Gortat is as good..Boston has 3 great scorers on the floor, and 1 good scorer/great playmaker in Rondo..Perkins feeds off of them, plays defense, provides toughness, and rebounds..

Gortat just has to finish, which he clearly can do..he's athletic, and he finishes strong at the basket..there's absolutely NO reason to expect him to go 1 on 1 against anybody..do you guys see any reason to run a play for the 5th guy when you have Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Richard Jefferson on your team?!..obviously not..

For those who still don't understand..Gortat is the backup to Dwight Howard..he can't play next to him due to Orlando's system that causes mismatches with their small PF that shoot, and Howard's lack of versatility in his offensive game..Dwight is also one of the most durable players in the NBA, so his playing time is never a concern..

Tim Duncan is not Dwight Howard..before the injury, Tim was shooting his best % off jumpers in his career..it was clearly a part of his game that he worked on during the off-season..he was using the bank shot more than ever, and he's a better passer than he's ever been..he's going to be playing the high post a lot..

Rasheed is the better option due to his experience, ability to spread the floor, and the fact that he's more talented if he's motivated..Wallace has the same amount of risks though..there's a very possible chance that Wallace is no longer the same impact player that we expected, just like there's the risk that Gortat isn't worth the $ we're going to give him..

How does anybody know which teams are pursuing Gortat?!..teams aren't going to talk about it right now, so how can that be used as a knock against him..

No hate for the guy, I would rather see sheed, mcdyess, or birdman, before this guys name even gets mentioned. The title of this post is gortat or sheed and I choose sheed obviously. On the bynum front, who didnt shut him down during the playoffs, he sucked.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Well, if you put it that way, then yes, if we have exhausted all other options first and Sheed and others are gone, then yes, talk to Gortat. But, the thread suggest Gortat or Sheed. I say Sheed first, it is that simple. :flag:

BackHome
06-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't know why you guys are all bitching we freakin were paying Oberto 3 mill last year and Thomas 4 mill. Two freakin old players who could not even dunk the ball were getting almost 8 mill.

I would bet my paycheck that Gorat at 4 mill a year is a hell of alot better then Thomas or Oberto combined! You would have to be an idiot to argue that point.

And Yes both would be good. Oh, one question for Sheed perps if he is so good why were the Spurs going after the Greece boy?

poop
06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
this is a no-brainer, Gortat would be the better choice by far. its not 2004 anymore

Pucho!!!
06-28-2009, 09:32 PM
Oh, one question for Sheed perps if he is so good why were the Spurs going after the Greece boy?

I think they believed that Bourousis would have been cheaper to attain than sum of the top targets on the Spurs list and gives u sum valuable skills that would have fit in with the Spurs. Kind of makes u think that they would go after Sheed seeing how he provides the same skills as Bourousis, if indeed the Spurs were goin after Bourousis

spursnatic
06-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Why does everyone like Gortat so much?...He fucking sucks!!....

Obstructed_View
06-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Let someone else experiment with this guy, put the the spurs in the others category! Posting 4 or 5 double doubles in a season during blow out games is not bad, but to pay starter type $ for him, no thanks (hopefully the spurs well agree):nope

You're aware that he started in the playoffs when Howard was suspended, and got 11 points, 14 rebounds and 4 steals, right?

Obstructed_View
06-29-2009, 12:58 AM
So how much do you want to pay him?

Do you think he's worth making an offer to and then having to wait the 7 days (because he's restricted) and maybe missing out on other players during that time?

Considering what the Spurs have paid for guys like Bonner, KT, Oberto, Rasho, etc., what part of the MLE is unreasonable for someone who's 25, healthy and can start?

He's not worth locking up the money right away with, but if all the other top level guys are going to dick the Spurs around like they usually do, and if Orlando's going to go into luxury tax area, it could be a good gamble.

EmantheSpursFan
06-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Considering what the Spurs have paid for guys like Bonner, KT, Oberto, Rasho, etc., what part of the MLE is unreasonable for someone who's 25, healthy and can start?

He's not worth locking up the money right away with, but if all the other top level guys are going to dick the Spurs around like they usually do, and if Orlando's going to go into luxury tax area, it could be a good gamble.

Especially if they are serious about getting Sheed, we can offer him a 2 year deal and a starting postion on a championship caliber team. Then next year send out Gortat for some money and bring in Splitter!

Chieflion
06-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Why does everyone like Gortat so much?...He fucking sucks!!....
Calm down a bit. Gortat does not suck.

Man In Black
06-29-2009, 02:50 AM
It should really be more like, what has Gortat proven or accomplished? And how does it translate for the Spurs?

There are thoughts and opinions given in this thread and the Top 25 Bigs thread.
Format your thoughts and see if you can sway opinion.

Mugen
06-29-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't get the "Gortats gonna break out"

With what offensive talents?

Hes the turkish Hasheem Thabeet.

Polish.

EmantheSpursFan
06-29-2009, 03:04 AM
I confess i'm split between Rasheed/McDyess/Gortat
Although Sheed is talented and proven, he's old and set in his ways...
McDyess i dont even know if he wants to leave Detroit first of all and like Rasheed hes no spring chicken himself.
Gortat is a guy that i know a lot of are split on, rightfully so he is young and has only been to the finals once last year and he was only a backup center to boot! But then again he plays great D and is athletic and has good #'s while he's starting. A lot of us are falling on either side of the pendulum, Hes going to be a flat out BEAST or Hes a total waste of money and too young! Personally i think he can be Rasho 2.0 somebody who will not score a lot, grab a decent amount of rebounds and block shots here and there. As where you can make the argument about Sheed and McDyess being proven you gotta also take in to consideration with the facts that i mentioned earlier and that those are still in some case BiG NAMES, gortat is a Blue collar guy who i think will work well with Pops philosophy, he can fill the role that we lost when Kurt and Oberto left. Wallace, i love the guy and i would never compare his career of somebody like Bonner but with Bonner we already have the center that can shoot the 3 and i think we need somebody who can just go in there and focus on D and grab rebounds.

another confession i have is i really didnt watch that much Detroit ball last year so i dont know what kind of shape McDyess is in but if you can prove to me he is as "durable" as a youngin' like Gortat and can play all 82 games then by all means lets bring him in!

I was just in the Top 25 Bigs thread and i just posted this there, its good to keep your mind open and thats what i'm trying to accomplish here in this one.

InK
06-29-2009, 03:45 AM
No contest. Rasheed.

Capt Bringdown
06-29-2009, 04:54 AM
I'd rather roll the dice with Gortat, but I don't know if we have a legitimate shot to bring him here.

Sheed is clearly on the decline, and I don't like the baggage he brings. There is a distinct element of stupidity to his game/career. Look at what he did to Detroit last year -childishly pouting and giving up on the team because...who knows? His feelings were hurt and/or he didn't like the way things were going?

I'm a firm believer in the "Be the change" philosophy. Your team sucks and isn't playing up to it's potential? OK, play harder and try to make things better -don't quit, FFS.

Didn't we learn anything from the Rodman fiasco? Players who quit don't deserve to wear the silver and black.

Obstructed_View
06-29-2009, 05:08 AM
Especially if they are serious about getting Sheed, we can offer him a 2 year deal and a starting postion on a championship caliber team. Then next year send out Gortat for some money and bring in Splitter!

Either Gortat's going to break out with starter's minutes or he's going to turn into Erick Dampier. Those questions will be answered in two years and either the Spurs won't be able to afford him or they'll be thanking their personal god that they didn't make him an offer.

4RINGS
06-30-2009, 08:15 PM
No contest. Rasheed.

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Phoenix+Suns+v+Detroit+Pistons+-1FsiCSGbBUl.jpg

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2: