PDA

View Full Version : Will the Spurs be a 100+ point a game team?

Buddy Holly
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Will they be a 100 plus a game scoring team this season? I know it doesn't matter, but just for shoots and giggles.

Just to offset this, imo they're going to be a much much better defensive team than last year.

DMX7
06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
doubt it because we're still probably going to play half-court slower tempo basketball.

Sotongball21
06-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Hmm, if i am not wrong, there is a statistic that says the spurs are on a streak of not losing a game scoring >100 points?

lefty
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Do I have the fucking crystal ball ?

duncan228
06-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Hmm, if i am not wrong, there is a statistic that says the spurs are on a streak of not losing a game scoring >100 points?

I think that streak was broken, but I can't remember what game.

Anyone know?

duncan228
06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
I think the streak got to 33 , and was broken February 17, 2009, with a loss to the Knicks 112-107.

jaffies
06-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Last year the Spurs were 31-2 when scoring => 100 pts (including a whopping 5 playoff games)

Last 100-pt game lost was vs. Mavs on March 4th (107-102 L)

In 2007-2008 we were 33-1 including playoffs

Spursfan092120
06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
Their streak, if I'm not mistaken, is now home wins when they score 100..not sure where it stands though.

Mr. Body
06-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah they'll score more than 100 ppg.

jaffies
06-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I think the streak got to 33 , and was broken February 17, 2009, with a loss to the Knicks 112-107.

correct.

Their streak, if I'm not mistaken, is now home wins when they score 100..not sure where it stands though.

Current HOME winning streak while scoring at least 100pts: 56 games (including playoffs)
last loss was game 7 vs. Mavs in 2006 WCF, fuck you Dirk!

duncan228
06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Thanks jaffies.

xellos88330
06-28-2009, 01:11 AM
I will have to watch pre season first to see.

ceds
06-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Whats funny is that the spurs now have the most talented starting 1-3 in the NBA. Equally amazing, is the group of athetic wings and bigmen in Gist/Ian/Mcclinton/Wlliams/Hairston and Blair (as a sb center) that should have no provlem running with them.

If we switched styles this team could easily score over 100. Imagine if Pop gave the keys to Manu & TP and let them loose. Manu would become a scoring JKidd averaging 20+ with plent of assists if they let him do his thing in a fast breaking, freelance type of offense.

A possible small ball combo:

TP
Hill
Manu
RJ
TD/Blair/Bonner/Ian/Gist

Mason or Hill to play the point when TP is on the bench can and the new guys (Mcclinton, Williams, Hairston) will backup the 2 and 3. There are plenty of cominations as we have alot of players who can play multiple positions. Also Bonner/Mason/Manu/RJ and hopefully Mcclinton can all shoot the 3 at a high percentage.

Im pretty sure if given the green light we could lead the league in scoring with that team. Probably not as prolific as the suns in their heyday (Unless Ian magically becomes an Amare type) but we would have better rebounders & defense.

Unfortunately the reality is that to win a ship we have to go through the Lakers and we wont be able to beat them playing that style. We (along with suns fans) know that this type of offense is regular season fools gold. When it gets to prime time a good defensive team that can execute in the half court will beat a good running team just about every time.

Also.... just about every other good playoff team in the west (HOU/POR/ UTAH/DEN?) have good size up front court and primarily play a half court game but i think we would beat all of them except maybe Denver playing suns style.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Whats funny is that the spurs now have the most talented starting 1-3 in the NBA. Equally amazing, is the group of athetic wings and bigmen in Gist/Ian/Mcclinton/Wlliams/Hairston and Blair (as a sb center) that should have no provlem running with them.

If we switched styles this team could easily score over 100. Imagine if Pop gave the keys to Manu & TP and let them loose. Manu would become a scoring JKidd averaging 20+ with plent of assists if they let him do his thing in a fast breaking, freelance type of offense.

A possible small ball combo:

TP
Hill
Manu
RJ
TD/Blair/Bonner/Ian/Gist

Mason or Hill to play the point when TP is on the bench can and the new guys (Mcclinton, Williams, Hairston) will backup the 2 and 3. There are plenty of cominations as we have alot of players who can play multiple positions. Also Bonner/Mason/Manu/RJ and hopefully Mcclinton can all shoot the 3 at a high percentage.

Im pretty sure if given the green light we could lead the league in scoring with that team. Probably not as prolific as the suns in their heyday (Unless Ian magically becomes an Amare type) but we would have better rebounders & defense.

Unfortunately the reality is that to win a ship we have to go through the Lakers and we wont be able to beat them playing that style. We (along with suns fans) know that this type of offense is regular season fools gold. When it gets to prime time a good defensive team that can execute in the half court will beat a good running team just about every time.

Also.... just about every other good playoff team in the west (HOU/POR/ UTAH/DEN?) have good size up front court and primarily play a half court game but i think we would beat all of them except maybe Denver playing suns style.

I afraid Gist/Hairston/McClinton/WIlliams and maybe even Ian will not make the big club, they will spend most of their time with the Toros. :flag:

TimDunkem
06-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I afraid Gist/Hairston/McClinton/WIlliams and maybe even Ian will not make the big club, they will spend most of their time with the Toros. :flag:

How would you fill out those roster spots? I don't see how these guys couldn't make the team. They all bring different things.

timvp
06-28-2009, 02:21 AM
I hope the Spurs don't average more than 100 points per game. That would mean their defense is most likely poor. A stout defense would slow the pace to where 100 points per game isn't very possible.

Defense is the key to getting back on top. Even with RJ and a healthy big 3, this team can't win a championship without become one of the top two or three defensive teams in the league.

objective
06-28-2009, 02:23 AM

Ian is not eligible to play in the d-league anymore.

TimDunkem
06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
LOL @ not keeping Ian. The only other bigs would be Bonner, Duncan, and Blair. No one else since Rings thinks we can't find a servicable big in FA.

VivaPopovich
06-28-2009, 02:40 AM
Will the Spurs be a 100+ point a game team?

I doubt that will be their season average, but I bet next season will break the record for how many times they surpass that mark.

ceds
06-28-2009, 02:54 AM
I think this team will have no problem scoring in the half court and should have more opportunities to score in transition then previous versions of the spurs.

Im hopeful that RJ is able to step up and take on the 'stopper' role the spurs have planned for him. A good defensive match up for Gasol gives TD more opportunity to protect the rim. Counting on a rookie is a reach...Sheed is the perfect fit and would probably intimidate him the same way KG did 2008 finals.

Kobe will get his points but RJ will have to at least play at a level where we are not forced to double because he is going for 40+ every game. Maybe hill gets spot minutes....I dont want to see Manu or Mason anywhere near him

spursfaninla
06-28-2009, 02:59 AM
I am hoping for something like these averages:
TP 22
TD 16
Manu 16
RJ 15

That is 69 points. With Mason, Hill, and the two other rotation bigmen probably getting 5-8 ppg as well, we will average between 90-96 points, about what we did last year.

The difference being that Manu and Tim don't have to score as much, which hopefully keeps them fresher for the playoffs, as well as the next 2-3 years.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2009, 03:04 AM
x>100pts = free tacos?

xellos88330
06-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Well, if everything works out like we hope, I would say definitely be 100+ team.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
I just want them to get back to being Defensive stoppers. The offense should come more easily now with RJ in the mix. But I too believe, they will probably break their own record this year in scoring over 100 points a game.

Danny.Zhu
06-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Tony 22
Tim 17
Jefferson 15
Manu 13
Sheed 11
Mason 7
Finley 5
Bonner 4
George 3
Blair 3

That will be 100......

Guajalote
06-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I hope not.

I enjoyed the scores of old (averages of Spurs in the low 90's, opposing team in the mid 80's) for two reasons.

First, that meant we were playing top notch defense. But second, and more important for me, it made everybody else in the league mad because the Spurs were "boring." For us, boring = championships, so bring the pain. :lol

Fabbs
06-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I hope the Spurs don't average more than 100 points per game. That would mean their defense is most likely poor. A stout defense would slow the pace to where 100 points per game isn't very possible.

Defense is the key to getting back on top. Even with RJ and a healthy big 3, this team can't win a championship without become one of the top two or three defensive teams in the league.
yeah because it's impossible to play good defense and good offense. :rolleyes

Current HOME winning streak while scoring at least 100pts: 56 games (including playoffs)
last loss was game 7 vs. Mavs in 2006 WCF < The Manu brain fart which was defensive anyways.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 11:46 AM
yeah because it's impossible to play good defense and good offense. :rolleyes

To Pop good defense and good offense means the opponent is only scoring in the 80s and the Spurs in the 90s. Just because the Spurs are getting younger and more athletic doesn't mean that Pop doesn't want to keep the tempo slow.

spursfan1000
06-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I doubt we will average more than 100 or even 100, but hey im not against it :lol

Fabbs
06-28-2009, 12:24 PM
^^ just because you are keeping the tempo slow does not mean you are playing either good defense nor good offense.

Which part of 56-0 home record over 100 did you miss?

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 12:30 PM
^^ just because you are keeping the tempo slow does not mean you are playing either good defense nor good offense.

Which part of 56-0 home record over 100 did you miss?

Which part of Pop spending the last decade keeping the tempo slow did you miss?

Fabbs
06-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Which part of Pop spending the last decade keeping the tempo slow did you miss?:depressed
The 4-1 asswhoopings by Phil?
I caught all of them. :depressed

2005 was the pinnacle of Spurs D and i was and am fine with it.
If you're all stoked over Poops wins over Jersey and Cleveland, these were two offensively abysmal teams and Cleveland coach Brown learned his plodding O from Pop, so nevermind.

Offense can and does effect a teams defense. Period.

Ace9
06-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I hope not.

I enjoyed the scores of old (averages of Spurs in the low 90's, opposing team in the mid 80's) for two reasons.

First, that meant we were playing top notch defense. But second, and more important for me, it made everybody else in the league mad because the Spurs were "boring." For us, boring = championships, so bring the pain. :lol

Haha, that's an interesting POV on things. I, on the otherhand, love to dominate opponents, offensively and defensively. But tons of points really gets me going. Its great to see the defense play tough and all, but its just not nearly as flashy as the offense. Flashy things are nice. :downspin:

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 01:02 PM
:depressed
The 4-1 asswhoopings by Phil?
I caught all of them. :depressed

2005 was the pinnacle of Spurs D and i was and am fine with it.
If you're all stoked over Poops wins over Jersey and Cleveland, these were two offensively abysmal teams and Cleveland coach Brown learned his plodding O from Pop, so nevermind.

Offense can and does effect a teams defense. Period.

I never said offense doesn't affect a teams defense. The Spurs needed to get better offensively, and they have. But that doesn't mean that the Spurs are all of a sudden going to abandon the philosophy that won them 4 titles and start cranking up the tempo to try to score 100+ every night. This is still going to be a team that will look to play great defense, keep the game a half court one and try to keep opponents below 90 points. A team committed to that identity isn't going to be one that averages 100 ppg.

tomtom
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Probably not but I expect more fun games :)

angelbelow
06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
were definitely capable. but that probably wont be our focus

tim_duncan_fan
06-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh God, I hope not.

We tried the "no defense" philosophy this past year.

It is not a good look for us.

rascal
06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I hope not.

The league has changed since the boring spurs days. There are better teams at the top now then when the spurs won in 2007. The spurs need to bring it on both ends of the court now and that means more easy points on the break and in transition .

rascal
06-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Which part of Pop spending the last decade keeping the tempo slow did you miss?

Pop did not have the horses then. Pop is smart enough to play to his teams strenghts.

Fabbs
06-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Pop did not have the horses then. Pop is smart enough to play to his teams strenghts.
True, TallBall has produced titles.

Play to teams strengths? Like benching GHill and moving Mase to point guard all while playing Fins 30 mpg, oftimes at the 3 or 4 position. One of the most idiotic playoff coaching jobs of all time.

How a team plays offense most definitely affects the defense. The position (or not) the opponent gets off a Spurs miss is crucial. The Stand n Veg offense featuring non stop 3 ball horking was abysmal.