PDA

View Full Version : Who Improved the Most? Spurs, Magic or Cleveland?

BillMc
06-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Who do you think improved their team the most? (If we can be unbiased as Spurs fans....)

The Spurs acquiring Jefferson...

The Magic acquiring Carter?

Cleveland acquiring The Big Nomad???

And as both Cleveland and the Magic had a winning record against us last year, if you feel the Jefferson trade helped us the most, would you favor the Spurs against either team now? Away or at Home?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Darkwaters
06-28-2009, 01:36 PM
The real question is this:

How much of an improvement is Jefferson over Finley?
How much of an improvement is Carter over Turkgolu?
How much of an improvement is Shaq over Ben Wallace?

I think the biggest improvement is the Spurs when you look at it this way.

sananspursfan21
06-28-2009, 01:38 PM

ummmm, well everybody on your list improved in my book. jeff is younger and more athletic, carter is more athletic and better clutch, shaq is still an all around post player and wallace is a tree stump. i see your point though and yes, jefferson is a major improvement over finley

Spurs16212
06-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Only time will tell...... Pieces are still being put into place on all teams.....

Darkwaters
06-28-2009, 01:41 PM
ummmm, well everybody on your list improved in my book.

No shit Sherlock. But the point is that Finley is a guy that we're seriously considering ditching completely. Whereas the Cavs and Magic would probably like to retain both Wallace and especially Turkgolu. That speaks volumes about our degree of improvement over other people's.

SonOfAGun
06-28-2009, 01:42 PM
"The Big Nomad" lmao :lmao

J.T.
06-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Jefferson may not be the best player who was traded. He's in his prime, while Shaq is past it and Carter will probably have a resurgence playing for a real contender, but I think the Jefferson trade is going to have the most consistent impact on how his new team performs next season. Last year's Spurs roster was one year removed from winning a championship and was playing really good ball before they started getting hit with injuries. If that team stayed healthy, I think Pop would've managed the development of Hill and Mason within the Spurs system a little better than he did. So I think Jefferson, who's coming onto a team that was already #2 in its conference when healthy, is going to be the guy who turns his new team around the most.

I think Blair, if he pans out and makes the team, will help the Spurs become an elite rebounding team, and that should help get the defense back to where it needs to be. But RJ is that missing "athletic forward" that we've been missing, so I'm interested to see how it all looks on the court next season.

sananspursfan21
06-28-2009, 01:44 PM
No shit Sherlock...

well i was thinking the same thing when you posted that so don't be such a smart ass

galvatron3000
06-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Magic and if they sign Sheed would be the favorites to me but as it stands right now the overall improvements are SPURS

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
No shit Sherlock. But the point is that Finley is a guy that we're seriously considering ditching completely. Whereas the Cavs and Magic would probably like to retain both Wallace and especially Turkgolu. That speaks volumes about our degree of improvement over other people's.

Hedo opted out. Magic can no longer afford Hedo and with the addition of Carter, didn't expect to hang on to both. Word is he's going to Detroit.

4RINGS
06-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Right now, the Spurs improved the most with the addition of RJ, because he is an upgrade from Finley. If we can add Sheed, it will be an upgrade from Bonner and we would have improved the most in the off season. Plus, what we did in the draft gives us pieces that can contribute a little now, but could be the start of a nice future. A++ off season for our Spurs so far, be we are not done yet... so it could be even better by next week. GO SPURS GO!!! RC and POP are the best!!!!

InK
06-28-2009, 02:01 PM

If you look at it like that, id go with the Cavs.

Ace9
06-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Well Vince Carter is the best player out of those 3. But when you look at it in terms of who these FA's are kicking out/topping on the depth chart, then I think the award goes to the Spurs. I don't know why everyone is ragging on Finley, but of course I'm biased. My first Spurs game (recently) ended with a buzzer beater 3 point swish by Michael Finley. End score: 95-92 Spurs. :)

Russ
06-28-2009, 02:36 PM
In part to be contrarian, I will propose that Orlando's great season was a one and done occurence.

Dwight Howard's game is not conducive to championships (nor is Hedo Turkoglu's if he's kept). Jameer Nelson's shortcomings were masked by Rafer Alston but they will be at the fore in Orlando's next playoff run.

Vince Carter is a team-killer and a coach-killer (and Stan VanG just needs a nudge at this point anyway).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Orlando implodes ala New Orleans last year (although it's less likely to be apparent until the playoffs than was NO).

rascal
06-28-2009, 02:39 PM

The spurs had more to improve because they were not as good last year as Cleveland or Orlando and that is even with Manu.

galvatron3000
06-28-2009, 02:42 PM
In part to be contrarian, I will propose that Orlando's great season was a one and done occurence.

Dwight Howard's game is not conducive to championships (nor is Hedo Turkoglu's if he's kept). Jameer Nelson's shortcomings were masked by Rafer Alston but they will be at the fore in Orlando's next playoff run.

Vince Carter is a team-killer and a coach-killer (and Stan VanG just needs a nudge at this point anyway).

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Orlando implodes ala New Orleans last year (although it's less likely to be apparent until the playoffs than was NO).

doubtful unless injuries occur. I fully expect them to sign Sheed too so even though teams will gun for them, unless they get immature quick, they'll be in the mix next season. though Howard needs to add a go to move this summer

rascal
06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Magic and if they sign Sheed would be the favorites to me but as it stands right now the overall improvements are SPURS

If Wallace signs with the Magic, the Magic made the most improvements if he goes to the Spurs then its the Spurs.

Flux451
06-28-2009, 03:12 PM
We are the least improve at this moment.
Our front court lacks completion.

mudyez
06-28-2009, 03:51 PM
shaq: what again was clevelands problem? guarding obile players like howard or a freakin D12? dont see shag doing better than Z!

carter: if Hedo i gone its notreally an improvement...Hedo to me is the slightly better player right now...if he stays, Carter+Hedo+Shard+the pick and roll Nelson+Howard is realy good, but chemestry issius could occur

jefferson: filling the need perfectly...no chemestry issius...I think, thats the winner!

ffadicted
06-28-2009, 04:12 PM
In order: Spurs > Cleveland > Magic.

All improved, but I agree with Darkwaters' way of looking at it. Vince over Turkoglu was the lowest improvement, and they're the only team that actually gave up solid pieces (Alston, Lee).

I don't know how well Shaq will fit in cleveland, while Jefferson seems to be a perfect fit. And Jefferson is gonna replace basically garbage (sorry findog), Shaq will send Big Z to the bench and he will produce less.

Leetonidas
06-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Honestly, the Magic. Fuck Shaq, he isn't going to make much of a difference in Cleveland. Maybe if this was 2005, but it ain't. Carter makes Orlando so much more deadly. Giving up Lee and Alston sucks, yes, but they got Ryan Andersen back and they only needed Alston to fill in for Nelson while he was injured. On paper, they're looking scary next year.

Rummpd
06-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Carter is so over-rated by many posters it is a joke. He is a relatively poor defender and decision maker ala an Iverson. Hedo with his versatility was a better and clutch fit for the Magic who fell way behind Cavs with the pick up of Shaq - Shaq will give enough offense and defense to help Cavs and also will allow Z to play less minutes and be more effective.

On paper Cavs improved most then Spurs to me.

raspsa
06-28-2009, 08:17 PM
I look at which player has the chance of making his teammates better, who has a team-first mindset and who is healthy and in a position to contribute over an entire season an playoffs... by these criteria the Spurs are light-years ahead of the Cavs and Magic.

VivaPopovich
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
if you look at 1 player alone, i think cleveland landing shaq will make the biggest difference.

but total net changes, the spurs by far. and we're not even done yet. the magic losing hedo to carter actually got worse.

scottspurs
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Spurs

hater
06-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure Orlando lose Hedo Turkolu. Their 2nd best player, yeah Carter MIGHT be better(in the playoffs) but still, big loss, Turkolu was kicking ass in the playoffs, so that counts Orlando out.

Shaq is gonna help the Cavs, but so is Jefferson the Spurs. That plus the fact that we had a great draft. Makes Spurs the most improved so far...

mystargtr34
06-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I would say its between the Spurs and Cavs, with a slight edge to the Spurs. The Cavs went from an above average starting Center, to a very good one, while the Spurs went from a below average starting SF, to a very good one.

If the Magic somehow sign Sheed, then i think they might be the big winners.

Nelson
Carter
Lewis
Sheed
Howard

That would allow them to continue to spread the floor, and match up with the Lakers better, and other big teams in the West.

Jace
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Magic took a step back by letting Hedo go and replacing him with Carter

hater
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I see Sheed fitting in with Spurs a lot better than in Magic.

Pucho!!!
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
my mind is still boggled as y the magic r tryin to completely dismantle their team. Carter is not an improvement over Hedo, Courtney Lee and Alston. And that's pretty much what they gave up for Carter. And now they're goin after Sheed to fill in the gap of missin Hedo, but what do their reserves look like. They look like a depleted team. Unlike the Spurs who gave up peanuts to get Jefferson. I guarantee u his numbers will look far better than anything bruce (although I know what bowen brings no stat can track), kurt and oberto could do combined. As far as the Cavs, sure Shaq is an improvement over what they had but does he really make them better than the Celts or the Magic. Still gives them a slow big that can't guard Howard. So, after all that I'd have to say so far counting just those transactions that the Spurs have improved the most.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
I too think we improved the most because of what we gave up versus what we received in return. RJ is a phenomenal addition, and we kept our core pieces together. We just got younger, faster and stronger.

Whereas the Cavs got bigger but slower, and I think Timmy can handle Shaq just fine as we have seen him do in the past. Moreover, the Magic gave up some core pieces for Carter. We definitely upgraded the most with the trades we just made.

sook
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM

homeeeeerrr

GooberNuts
06-28-2009, 11:51 PM
They all improved, the Spurs and Cavs more so than the Magic, but in the end I think it depends on where Sheed goes to determine who improved the most.

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Sheed:hungry:

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2009, 12:43 AM
WHOSE comin off the bench for the magic?

BillMc
06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
ESPN discusses the three trades and compares them (Sorry if this is old):

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4289831&categoryid=2459788

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
ESPN discusses the three trades and compares them (Sorry if this is old):

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4289831&categoryid=2459788

Awesome-I sure hadn't seen it.:toast

duncan228
06-29-2009, 09:04 PM
David Aldridge on NBA.com.

Who's the leader in the clubhouse so far for improving its team the most?

With the caveat that free-agent signings and trades could change everything, the leaders so far are the Spurs. They got Manu Ginobili insurance with the acquisition of Richard Jefferson from Milwaukee for none of their core group, and somehow, with nary a first-round pick in sight, still wound up with three excellent rookie prospects out of the second round: Blair, Miami guard Jack McClinton (whom many teams thought could slip late into the first) and Spanish point guard Nando De Colo, who'll likely stay over in Europe for a couple of years to get more seasoning.

Let's review. Last summer, the Spurs drafted point guard George Hill at the end of the first round, and signed free agent Roger Mason, Jr. -- who just may have been the most impactful free agent in the league last season -- for a fraction of the price that Philly spent on Elton Brand. This summer they've gotten Jefferson, Blair, McClinton and De Colo. They also have a great shot at signing Wallace and may well wind up again with Bruce Bowen and Fab Oberto -- sent to Milwaukee and Detroit, respectively, in the Jefferson deal, and who will likely be bought out or released by those respective teams. And San Antonio still has the draft rights to Tiago Splitter, still one of Europe's top prospects.

Even if McClinton and De Colo don't play much next season, and even if young center Ian Mahinmi doesn't pan out as hoped, that's still a fairly quick and painless retooling of a team around its three star players, with Jefferson's $29.2 million remaining the only significant financial commitment past this season. Meaning the Spurs could actually be free agent players next summer if they chose to be. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Ginobili may be getting older, but the Spurs aren't getting any dumber.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/06/29/postdraft/

kromediablo
07-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Problem is who is going to grab those offensive rebounds confucious say old folk don't rebound so well, they stand and watch young gun grab ball....lol

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Magic took a step back by letting Hedo go and replacing him with Carter

they got rid of 3 players in return for 1 player....thats going to hurt them when they have no one to come off from the bench to help

would be funny if they cant hold onto gortat....then they fail this summer