PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Fin For Finley? We Should Know Soon

duncan228
06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Fin for Finley? We should know soon (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/06/fin-for-finley.html)
By Jeff McDonald

NBA free agency officially opens at midnight Wednesday. The Spurs' first big decision of free agency will come no later than 24 hours before that.

And it won't even be their decision to make.

Will Michael Finley opt out of the final year of his contract? That is the $2.5 million question.

Finley, who started all but one game for the Spurs last season, is on the books for $2.5 million next season. He could choose to opt out and become a free agent -- or retire -- in which case the Spurs owe him nothing.

In April, a day after the Spurs' were eliminated from the playoffs by Dallas, Finley indicated that his future was up in the air. Two months later, it apparently still is.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said late last week that Finley had given him no indication as to his plans. Finley's agent, Henry Thomas, confirmed as much, saying his client had yet to reach a decision.

This is the typical m.o. for Finley, who usually takes as long as possible to make such business decisions. It was late August 2005 before he signed with the Spurs in the first place. It was mid-August last summer when he opted to re-sign.

Finley's latest deadline is looming. He has until Tuesday to opt out.

The Spurs are awaiting his decision, but not anxiously. It is somewhat of a win-win for them.

Should Finley opt in, he should prove to be a valuable backup to newcomer Richard Jefferson on the wing, even at age 36. He would surely play fewer minutes as somewhat of a spot player, which would probably allow him to be more efficient. Should he opt out, the Spurs -- already likely to be over the luxury tax threshold -- could save some money and replace him with a cheaper piece.

From a finanical standpoint, it only makes sense for Finley to play out the final season of his contract with the Spurs. Unlike Brent Barry, who opted out of San Antonio last summer for a more desirable situation in Houston, Finley is unlikely to find anyone willing to pay him more than the Spurs owe him.

People don't often turn down free money. Not even NBA players who don't neccesarily need it.

ElNono
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Finley, who started all but one game for the Spurs last season...

:bang

Should Finley opt in, he should prove to be a valuable backup to newcomer Richard Jefferson on the wing, even at age 36.

:shootme

BillMc
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
My guess is Fin will take the money. What we do with him (backup or trade) is less clear.

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Somehow I can't see Finley opting out - unfortunately. I just don't want to see another year of him in a Spurs uniform - even in a backup role. In the event that he does opt in, I predict that Pop will find ways to utilize smaller lineups, thereby giving him more time that he deserves.

timvp
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
It would suck for a guy who has made more money playing basketball than Tim Duncan or David Robinson to stick with the Spurs because he'd lose at most $1.2 million by opting out.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Is Dallas still paying him this year, too?

ElNono
06-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Is Dallas still paying him this year, too?

Does it really matter? He would still count against the cap for us.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Does it really matter? He would still count against the cap for us.

True. I just wanted to know how much he was still screwing the Mavs:lol

EricB
06-28-2009, 05:37 PM
It would suck for a guy who has made more money playing basketball than Tim Duncan or David Robinson to stick with the Spurs because he'd lose at most $1.2 million by opting out.

It sucks when people think other people have made too much money and should quit making it.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2009, 05:39 PM
If Finley stays, I don't think it has anything to do with money.

That being said, I don't think he's staying.

timvp
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
It sucks when people think other people have made too much money and should quit making it.

Link to where I said the choker isn't allowed to make money? He can probably go out and get a two-year contract at the minimum ... which would give him more money that he'd make on the Spurs.

mingus
06-28-2009, 05:53 PM

then maybe I should quit thinking that it sucks that drug cartels in Mexico are making too much money and they should quit making it .

EricB
06-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Link to where I said the choker isn't allowed to make money? He can probably go out and get a two-year contract at the minimum ... which would give him more money that he'd make on the Spurs.

You said it would be a shame if he picked up the contract.

So I see he's a choker now :lol

The SPeedy Claxton recollection of Michael Finley is being enforced I see.

I don't want him back, never said I did. But I'm not gonna be pissed at the guy or hold a grudge if he picks u his option.,

The Spurs made the mistake of giving him aplayer option, not Finley.

K-State Spur
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Fin's clearly not the athlete that he used to be and that has had a definite adverse affect on his game, but I disagree with labeling him a "choker" (at least in his post Mav days).

EricB
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
then maybe I should quit thinking that it sucks that drug cartels in Mexico are making too much money and they should quit making it .

Wow way to completely fail on a comparison.

EricB
06-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Fin's clearly not the athlete that he used to be and that has had a definite adverse affect on his game, but I disagree with labeling him a "choker" (at least in his post Mav days).

Agree on all parts.

I said at the end of the year its been nice but he's clearly got nothing left and its time to move on.

I'm not gonna remember the guy as a choker or a piece of crap though if he picks up his option. If someone tells me heres the option no money and Free agency where you'll be lucky to get the minimum from a scrub team, OR, stay here and make 2.5.

ulosturedge
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Finley is going to take the option imo. And I think that would pretty much kill any chance of us resigning Bruce. So we will get the most out of what Finley can give us :rolleyes

mingus
Wow way to completely fail on a comparison.

way too completely fail to understand that you made a pretty generalized statement, and i'm just pull your strings for it. :lol

picnroll
I'm all for earning your money. If you can't earn it then don't take it. I'm also a big fan of making your own way, not falling into mommy and daddy's business. Like Buffet did with his kids.

EricB
06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm all for earning your money. If you can't earn it then don't take it. I'm also a big fan of making your own way, not falling into mommy and daddy's business. Like Buffet did with his kids.

I don't quite follow what that has to do with Michael Finley.

MarHill
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
If Finley stays, I don't think it has anything to do with money.

That being said, I don't think he's staying.

Kori,

I agree with the first sentence and disagree with the second sentence.

I believe Finley.....can see a chance to get another ring the team next season. Even though he will clearly be in a backup role.....he can still hit shots (yes...he's inconsistent) and can be somewhat effective.

I know my buddy SenorSpur disagrees with me....but I would mind him being back next season.

He won't start and coming off the bench is okay for his last season as a Spur.

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 06:56 PM
only upside of finley staying is that we will have to fill up the roster with all the young pieces we have in order to not go to far over the cap.

bless1187
06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
i think M. Finley has been the players who been unfairly given the most criticism by Spurs fan. This guy was brought in to be a spot up shooter; and overall he did his job fairly fine in the 4 years that he was with us. we wouldn't have won our last championship without M. Finley, he has made big shot for Spurs in the playoff; and even last year he was probably our third best performer in the playoff; our two biggest choker in the playoff this past year wasn't M. Finley, it was R. Mason followed by M. Bonner.

Fabbs
4-8 playoff record lifetime vs Dallas. The team thought paid him to leave.
Enough said.

And EricPark still wants to oil up Finley.
Good grief.

bless1187
i think M. Finley fits the backup role just perfectly, he comes in for 10-20 min per night to provide good shooting.

bless1187
06-28-2009, 07:00 PM
009 Spurs Playoffs Statistics
Printable

PLAYER AVERAGES
REBOUNDS
Player G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
Tony Parker 5 5 36.2 .546 .214 .710 .20 4.00 4.20 6.8 1.20 .20 4.20 2.60 28.6
Tim Duncan 5 5 32.8 .532 .000 .607 2.40 5.60 8.00 3.2 .60 1.20 1.40 2.20 19.8
Michael Finley 5 5 28.6 .441 .467 .750 .60 2.40 3.00 1.0 .20 .20 .80 1.60 8.0
Drew Gooden 4 0 17.8 .333 .000 1.000 1.30 2.50 3.80 .3 .25 .25 .75 3.30 7.3
Roger Mason 5 3 21.6 .375 .368 .667 .00 1.60 1.60 1.8 .20 .00 .80 2.00 6.6
Fabricio Oberto 2 0 11.0 .667 .000 1.000 1.00 1.00 2.00 .0 1.00 .00 1.00 1.00 6.0
George Hill 4 0 19.0 .333 .375 .857 .80 1.30 2.00 .5 .50 .25 .50 1.50 5.8
Bruce Bowen 5 2 26.0 .538 .556 1.000 .00 3.00 3.00 .6 .60 .00 .60 2.00 4.2
Jacque Vaughn 2 0 10.5 .400 .000 .500 .00 .00 .00 2.0 .50 .00 .00 .00 3.5
Ime Udoka 5 0 20.8 .350 .125 .400 1.60 3.00 4.60 .8 .80 .20 .40 2.80 3.4
Matt Bonner 5 5 20.0 .217 .231 1.000 1.20 2.00 3.20 .0 .60 .40 .40 2.00 3.0
Kurt Thomas 5 0 16.0 .455 .000 .750 .80 3.80 4.60 .4 .20 .40 .80 2.60 2.6
Team Averages 5 0 240.0 .457 .330 .709 8.8 28.8 37.6 16.0 5.6 3.0 11.0 22.0 90.4
Opponents 5 0 240.0 .463 .382 .842 8.8 32.6 41.4 17.2 7.2 4.6 11.6 18.6 96.4
created: 06/14/2009,11:50 PM

bless1187
06-28-2009, 07:00 PM
M. Finley clearly outperformed R. Mason in the playoff.

Chomag
06-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Kori,

I believe Finley.....can see a chance to get another ring the team next season. Even though he will clearly be in a backup role.....he can still hit shots (yes...he's inconsistent) and can be somewhat effective.

I know my buddy SenorSpur disagrees with me....but I would mind him being back next season.

That would be great in theory but have you forgotten how un-productive Finley is when coming off the bench? Finley has already shown us that he needs to be warm,and he does not have the ability to come in and shoot while cold. I would rather see his (spot) being used to have Bowen back or even used to try to develop a prospect such as maybe Hairston. Finley is a Class-A professional but at this stage he would do nothing but stunt the growth and direction this team needs to go.

BackHome
06-28-2009, 07:07 PM
To be honest I think that he will ask Pop if he wants him back and if he thinks he can help. If Pop says "Yes" then he stays and if he says "No" then he probably moves on.

Either way my main concern is not him but on finding us a freakin center. The only reason I would be OK for him to go is if we could use his salary to get some experience players like Sheed or Gorat and Herman..

EricB
06-28-2009, 07:09 PM
4-8 playoff record lifetime vs Dallas. The team thought paid him to leave.
Enough said.

And EricPark still wants to oil up Finley.
Good grief.

Yeah that whole me saying I don't want him on the team is reallllly good evidence of that you brain dead fucking idiot.

Ocotillo
06-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Heck there is a good chance he comes back for the ring. The odds just went up considerably with Jefferson, Blair and hopefully another vet big.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Bottom line is he's not going to pass up another opportunity to win a Championship. Who would?

whottt
06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
I would just like to see some sort of evidence Finley can be effective or, "more efficient" in a limited role.

Exactly when and where did this happen? When did it even come close to happening? Finley has completely sucked in a limited role as a Spur and it's also a trend in his career...his best years were the years he lead the NBA in minutes played.

Finley is the antithesis of an efficient player, it's exactly the opposite of what he is. He takes a lot of shots, he plays a lot of minutes, that is Michael Finley.

This is what you call saying something without really looking to see if there is any validity to what you are saying, and if you are saying Finley should be more efficient in a reduced role, there is absolutely no validity to what you are saying.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Bottom line is he's not going to pass up another opportunity to win a Championship. Who would?

I don't see Finley as being the type of guy who just wants to sit on a contender's bench hoping to just luck his way in to a ring. He wants to play. He probably wants to play here. But if he didn't think he would get decent minutes I wouldn't be shocked at all for him to not pick up his option so that he could go to a team that would use him.

whottt
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
I worry about Tpark if Finley leaves. TPark has been in a symbiotic relationship with Finley's nutsac for 4 years now. The separation process is going to be painful.

EricB
06-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I worry about Tpark if Finley leaves. TPark has been in a symbiotic relationship with Finley's nutsac for 4 years now. The separation process is going to be painful.

Will go just a tad better than your break up with your assfriend Brent Barry.

Spurs Brazil
06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
The Spurs made the mistake of giving him aplayer option, not Finley.

That's a good question.

Why the hell the Spurs give Finley a option??? He was already terrible in 08 Playoffs and the Spurs gave him a option :bang

boutons_deux
06-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Leave $1.2 on the table? I'll be surprised if he does.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 07:37 PM
That's a good question.

Why the hell the Spurs give Finley a option??? He was already terrible in 08 Playoffs and the Spurs gave him a option :bang

Did you have a better SF option in mind last offseason? One that we could have had without using the MLE, since we had to use that on Thomas. The Spurs were pretty much stuck. They couldn't afford to lose Finley.

Spurs Brazil
06-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Did you have a better SF option in mind last offseason? One that we could have had without using the MLE, since we had to use that on Thomas. The Spurs were pretty much stuck. They couldn't afford to lose Finley.

I'd rather see the Spurs paying Finley a little more last season on a year deal than see they offering a PO for him

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 07:46 PM
I'd rather see the Spurs paying Finley a little more last season on a year deal than see they offering a PO for him

Had the Spurs known back then that they'd be able to trade for Richard Jefferson one year later they might have done exactly that. At the time though they didn't, nor did they have much leverage.

Spurs Brazil
06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Had the Spurs known back then that they'd be able to trade for Richard Jefferson one year later they might have done exactly that. At the time though they didn't, nor did they have much leverage.

I agree witht that but I think they could never offer him a 2 year deal after the terrible playoffs he played in 08. You could see he was almost done

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Kori,

You're right. I don't agree with you, but I do respect your opinion.

I do respect Finley for his shot-making, his professionalism and his career achievements. Yet, in addition to Finley being a player of declining skills, I just never thought of him as being a mentally tough player - and on many occasions he's proven me correct. Even in a backup role, his time on the court has proven to be counterproductive. I've always criticized him for evolving into this one-trick pony: a streaky shooter, who contributes little else while he's on the court. The Spurs will continue to be at a disadvantage whenever and whoever he's matched up against. It's clear that he just doesn't belong in this team anymore.

It's clear the organization has made the difficult decision to move in another direction. In the process. Bruce Bowen - one of the greatest team contributors in franchise history - was traded away. If Finley has any pride about himself, he should recognize that, take the hint, realize that his time is up and elect not come back.

Taking it to the Hole
What are the chances Finley retires and the Spurs owe him nothing?

senorglory
I'd be glad to have Finley back next season, and while I agree he's not the player of his prime, or even of his prime with the Spurs, I don't agree that he's a choker or a dog. I thought he had great stretches of production during the regular season last year, and over all, a good season for the Spurs, and that in particular, his production during the regular season came while the Spurs were struggling, and would have had a hard time winning without his big play.

And yes, I remember his bad stretches too.

MarHill
06-28-2009, 08:13 PM
You're right. I don't agree with you, but I do respect your opinion.

I do respect Finley for his shot-making, his professionalism and his career achievements. Yet, in addition to Finley being a player of declining skills, I just never thought of him as being a mentally tough player - and on many occasions he's proven me correct. Even in a backup role, his time on the court has proven to be counterproductive. I've always criticized him for evolving into this one-trick pony: a streaky shooter, who contributes little else while he's on the court. The Spurs will continue to be at a disadvantage whenever and whoever he's matched up against. It's clear that he just doesn't belong in this team anymore.

It's clear the organization has made the difficult decision to move in another direction. In the process. Bruce Bowen - one of the greatest team contributors in franchise history - was traded away. If Finley has any pride about himself, he should recognize that, take the hint, realize that his time is up and elect not come back.

SenorSpur,

I respect your opinion as well. We can agree to disagree on this one.

However, you make some compelling points on why Finley shouldn't come back.

The big thing is that he has the players option and he still wants to play basketball. So there is 2.5m on the table from a legit championship caliber ballclub where he has played for the last 4 seasons.

I just don't see him walking away from that unless he has another deal in line.

I agree with you and others that Finley has not been effective off the bench. But, if he does come back that will be his role. RJ is the starter now and Finley will have to accept that role.

And I believe his professionalism....is where he can be effective in a limited role. The only thing he is a volume shooter and that will be an adjustment for him.

Like I said this is his last season as a Spur if he accepts the option. So if he has mind set of being an effective backup.....then I'm okay with it for one season.

A good debate though......

:flag:

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-28-2009, 08:13 PM

It sucks when posters want geriatric role players to return that Pop has over relied on in the past to return knowing full well at the first sign of trouble Pop will go back to said geriatric role player when it matters in the post-season.

The only way to ensure Pop doesn't F up next season with Finley is for Finley not to be on this roster.

MarHill
06-28-2009, 08:19 PM
It sucks when posters want geriatric role players to return that Pop has over relied on in the past to return knowing full well at the first sign of trouble Pop will go back to said geriatric role player when it matters in the post-season.

The only way to ensure Pop doesn't F up next season with Finley is for Finley not to be on this roster.

I have to disagree with you...

Pop has known RJ's game since 2004. He knows what kind of a player they traded for.

So unless RJ gets injured....Finley won't be the starter next season.

SpursFan0728
06-28-2009, 08:28 PM
A lot of people here say that it is good for spurs if he is given a "limited role". I have to disagree because if he is only given a limited role, we could easily find some1 with a cheaper price and does the same role (10-15 min spot up shooter).

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 08:29 PM

+1

As brilliant of a coach as Pop is, his mind-numbing, man-crush on Finley is hard to explain. And has been detrimental to team success. Frankly, I've seen enough of this movie to know it stinks.

As Whott suggested earlier, there has been no evidence to suggest where Finley has had any success in the past 2 playoff series. Guess what? It aint gonna start next season either.

Old players don't get any better - they keep getting older. What is that Einstein axiom about repeatedly trying the same thing, yet expecting different results? I realize the decision rests solely with Finley, but another year of him would be idiotic. I'd rather see that roster spot go to someone else.

senorglory
06-28-2009, 08:55 PM
As brilliant of a coach as Pop is, his mind-numbing, man-crush on Finley is hard to explain. And has been detrimental to team success.

But what do you think of this: Finley's season numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=242) look pretty similar to his numbers every year with the Spurs, and his '09 Playoff numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=242) look similar to his '09 season numbers.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't see Finley as being the type of guy who just wants to sit on a contender's bench hoping to just luck his way in to a ring. He wants to play. He probably wants to play here. But if he didn't think he would get decent minutes I wouldn't be shocked at all for him to not pick up his option so that he could go to a team that would use him.

I think Finley has had a great career. But, I really hope he opts out.

timvp
06-28-2009, 09:40 PM
You said it would be a shame if he picked up the contract.It would be. He doesn't help the Spurs anymore. The Spurs never should have re-signed him.

So I see he's a choker now :lolHe's always had choker qualities. Check out last year in the playoffs after Game 1.

The SPeedy Claxton recollection of Michael Finley is being enforced I see.Finley has been here four years and, while he's had his moments, he's been far from spectacular. Add in Pop's over the top love for him and the Finley Era has had more downs than ups.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
The saving grace in Finley picking up his option is that the Spurs could deal him and Bonner to take back a player making around $6 mil instead of using Mason.

timvp
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
But what do you think of this: Finley's season numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=242) look pretty similar to his numbers every year with the Spurs, and his '09 Playoff numbers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=242) look similar to his '09 season numbers.
Take a closer look at his stats. After Game 1, he shot 33.3% from the field and 20% from three-point land. If that's not choking, I'm not sure what is.

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 10:07 PM
The saving grace in Finley picking up his option is that the Spurs could deal him and Bonner to take back a player making around $6 mil instead of using Mason.

Even though RC said that he didn't expect the Spurs to make any more trades, Finley's contract should be the first one dealt - if he elects to exercise that option.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Take a closer look at his stats. After Game 1, he shot 33.3% from the field and 20% from three-point land. If that's not choking, I'm not sure what is.

eh. I've always thought his choking tendencies have been exaggerated. While he's a choker to some extent, I don't think being physically inferior and unable to do what you want to do at any position on the court counts as choking...

bless1187
06-28-2009, 10:24 PM

the biggest choker on our team wasn't M. Finley, it was your beloved R. Mason.

CGD
06-28-2009, 10:26 PM
This probably won't make me popular, but I'll go to bat for Fin.

I think it's easy to get caught up in individual stats, etc. and forget that Fin (and Mason) where asked to be creators in the absence of Manu. Looking at the big picture, role players were asked to step outside their normal roles and play like stars (which they clearly aren't). Pop did the best he could with what he had: Who else could have picked up the slack on last year's roster?

I'd welcome him back, if for his professionalism and mentoring of the young talent alone. I have no problem with 10-12 minutes a game.

timvp
06-28-2009, 10:30 PM
the biggest choker on our team wasn't M. Finley, it was your beloved R. Mason.?

I've admitted Mason choked, too. It's possible for more than one player to choke.

And I'm not sure where you get "beloved". I'm not even sure I want him on the team, either.

polandprzem
06-28-2009, 11:01 PM
?

I've admitted Mason choked, too. It's possible for more than one player to choke.

And I'm not sure where you get "beloved". I'm not even sure I want him on the team, either.

Well you need to have somebody on the roster who will be a bench player

EricB
06-28-2009, 11:04 PM
The Spurs don't get out of the first round in 2007 if Michael Finley chooses to go play in Miami.

But whatever, he was a horrible signing, Devin Brown would've averaged 30 a game in his steed.

The guy has been nothing but class in his time in SA, I can't say the fans returned the favor.

bigdog
06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
The Spurs don't get out of the first round in 2007 if Michael Finley chooses to go play in Miami.

But whatever, he was a horrible signing, Devin Brown would've averaged 30 a game in his steed.

The guy has been nothing but class in his time in SA, I can't say the fans returned the favor.

I agree with everything you just said.

timvp
06-28-2009, 11:14 PM
The Spurs don't get out of the first round in 2007 if Michael Finley chooses to go play in Miami.Finley was the difference between winning in five and losing the series?

The guy has been nothing but class in his time in SA, I can't say the fans returned the favor.I've given him countless props for his intangibles. But there comes a time when he's not going to help anymore. And that was about two years ago.

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
What is that Einstein axiom about repeatedly trying the same thing, yet expecting different results? I realize the decision rests solely with Finley, but another year of him would be idiotic. I'd rather see that roster spot go to someone else.

Albert Einstein Quotes. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Albert Einstein Quotes. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

That's the one.

Thanks

:toast

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
That's the one.

Thanks

Ditto SenorSpur:toast

ivanfromwestwood
06-28-2009, 11:35 PM
That's the one.

Thanks

no problem. i live by that quote. watching finely do nothing for for years has drove everyone here just a bit crazy. :bang

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 11:36 PM
there comes a time when he's not going to help anymore. And that was about two years ago.

That's the real point to all this. This Finley experiement HAS indeed been over for about 2 years. The amazing thing is that we're having to debate to some what should be obvious to all - that he's no longer a consistently productive player.

weebo
06-28-2009, 11:42 PM
the only way this guy opts out is too retire...who would want a washed up 36 year old with an erratic jump shot and plays no defense????

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 11:50 PM
It's funny how the Spurs dumped Hedo after one up and down season, during which he proved that he wasn't ready for primetime and became unglued during playoff pressure. Yet Finley gets 4 seasons, with virtually the same inconsistent, unproductive results.

The difference? Hedo's career was arrowing up, while Finley's skills and career has been in decline since the day he arrived. Hell, he was in decline during his final couple of seasons with the Mavs.

polandprzem
06-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I love you! Liberian giiiiiirl

GooberNuts
06-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I would like to see Finley go as well, but when you look at the roster, we need to be able to keep some of the same core players/chemistry even as we transition to a younger team. Ideally I'd like to see Bowen back and Finley gone, but it seems unlikely that Bowen will be back.

There's got to be a mixture of fresh blood along with our experienced nucleus, and while Finley isn't the main vet I want to see returning to the Spurs roster, he seems the most likely choice. As long as we are still able to add some younger players...Gist, Hairston, etc and develop them, I don't have a problem with keeping Finley one more year.

vander
06-29-2009, 12:08 AM
someone asked if Finley was still making money from the mavs.

I thought I read somewhere that the payout for that amnesty thing became spread out over like 10 years.

loveforthegame
06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
someone asked if Finley was still making money from the mavs.

I thought I read somewhere that the payout for that amnesty thing became spread out over like 10 years.

You're correct. It's $5 million per year and I think runs until he will be 44 years old. Dirk and Damp have the same clause in there contracts but I doubt either will be waived by Cuban.

I'm suprised Fin hasn't spoked with RC by now. Wish we knew whether he's been in contact with Pop at least. I wonder if they even spelled things out to him? Whether they plan on keeping him or not.

GSH
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Whether it's this year, or next year, Fin is going to end his career in a Mavs jersey. Wait and see.

loveforthegame
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't see Finley ever playing for the Mavs again. Not after the crap they pulled.

Is it that unthinkable the Spurs would pay the LT this year and just wait for Finley, Bonner, and Mason to come off the books after this year? Sure, if a deal comes along that clearly upgrades the team or brings in a player without using the MLE I'm sure they won't hesitate.

Sure, we don't know what a free agent signing will cost or what X player will cost through a trade but won't the Spurs only have around $47 million on the books next summer?

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2009, 12:50 AM
he already makes enough money from interest if he invested properly unless he was one of them clowns who had an account with lehmans lol.....

the article is wrong, finley is never efficient in less minutes...this guy is a volume shooter to get going

if he picks up the option, his just sticking it up to the spurs like he did with the mavs...

finley and any over the hill players on this team are a burden to KING DUNCAN and the legion of SPURTAA, we are going to war damn it....this season we dine in hell.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
I don't see Finley ever playing for the Mavs again. Not after the crap they pulled.

how about trading him back to the suns? since they are clearing everything top to bottom, trade finleys ass for matt barnes?

GSH
06-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Cuban said a couple of seasons ago that he hopes Fin will consider playing for the Mavs when his contract with the Spurs is up. I think he'll throw enough money at Finley that he won't be able to say no, just to have him finish up in Dallas, and to try and mend some fences with the fans. It might have meant something a couple of seasons ago, but I think Cuban will still do it anyway. They can talk about how it was just a business decision back when, and how much the city of Dallas loves him, etc.

And Finley will cash another of Cuban's big checks.

Only time will tell - but I think it will happen.

whottt
06-29-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't see any big outcry on the part of Mavfan for the return of Finley, I actually think they're pretty happy with him being a Spur. I mean, what's not for them to like about it?

whottt
06-29-2009, 01:31 AM
If not for Finley we'd have been swept in the first round last year instead of merely losing 4-1 on our own home court to a team that struggled to make the playoffs for much of the year.

Finley totally saved our asses on that one.

Whew!

Obstructed_View
06-29-2009, 01:31 AM
Cuban said a couple of seasons ago that he hopes Fin will consider playing for the Mavs when his contract with the Spurs is up. I think he'll throw enough money at Finley that he won't be able to say no, just to have him finish up in Dallas, and to try and mend some fences with the fans. It might have meant something a couple of seasons ago, but I think Cuban will still do it anyway. They can talk about how it was just a business decision back when, and how much the city of Dallas loves him, etc.

The fans fucking Booed Finley. They're clearly idiots. Cuban doesn't have to mend anything. I for one hope he does it just becuase it'll be funny seeing him waste even more of his money.

Capt Bringdown
06-29-2009, 04:40 AM

Well, the Spurs obviously need to move on from Finley if they want another genuine opportunity to win a championship.

45 bank shot
06-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, the Spurs obviously need to move on from Finley if they want another genuine opportunity to win a championship.

yeah, but will Findog move on?

Capt Bringdown
06-29-2009, 09:36 AM
yeah, but will Findog move on?

That's the problem isn't it?
The Spurs shouldn't be in this position.

I'm happy about this offseason, but it doesn't quite take the sting out of the prospect of seeing Finley suit up again.

We can't afford anymore of his patented 1 for 8 performances.

And he is an absolute master of the momentum-killing ill advised J.

Nice guy by all accounts, but he should have some pride and call it a day.

Dex
06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Isn't it kind of annoying that Finley always takes as long as possible to make his decision? I mean....the Spurs can't do much more until the 1st anyways, but you'd think having a heads up could only help them going forward. Finley likes to pull this mystery-game crap, though.

He'll probably wait until 11:58 tomorrow night to make the call.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Isn't it kind of annoying that Finley always takes as long as possible to make his decision? I mean....the Spurs can't do much more until the 1st anyways, but you'd think having a heads up could only help them going forward. Finley likes to pull this mystery-game crap, though.

He'll probably wait until 11:58 tomorrow night to make the call.

That's his right to wait. Can't fault the guy for not being in a hurry to make a decision that potentially involves walking away from $2.5 million dollars.

SenorSpur
06-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Cuban can have him.

tp2021
06-29-2009, 10:05 AM
The only way I see Cuban taking Mike back is if the other option is paying him not to play, a la AJ.

TimDunkem
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Damn. Finley deleted his Twitter page.

timvp
06-29-2009, 12:11 PM
One of the worst parts about Finley picking up his option is that it makes re-signing Bowen much less likely. :td

mountainballer
06-29-2009, 12:50 PM
on the other hand, if he opts in, he becomes a somewhat useful trade asset in a dump trade.
(the only other salary the Spurs could pair with Bonner if needed is Mason and at this point I prefer to keep Mason)

The Truth #6
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
If the Spurs had any sense they would communicate to Finley that if he returns he won't be playing much. I don't see them doing that but that's how they should approach it so that it's clear what direction they are pursuing.

On another point, I disagree about needing to have Finley next year for continuity or some other vague intagible that involves leadership. The Big 3 are as solid of a veteran core as one could imagine. I don't think we need an old veteran who can't play. If anything that would probably create a lack of motivation for the young players if they realize they're stuck behind Finley no matter how hard or how well they perform.

Furthermore, last season was such a soft, weak disgrace compared to previous seasons that I'm happy to cut ties with whatever vibe was created and bring in young, hungry, confident players who want to fight for minutes.

Finley, Mason and Bonner all needed to start to be productive and get as many minutes as possible to feel comfortable. While I'm not ready to move on from Mason I do think he has something to prove this season. As for Bonner and Finley, I don't think either will be able to handle not getting big minutes, so why even bring them back if we can help it?

BillMc
06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
So it looks like Fin's going to drag this out to the last second...

benefactor
06-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Looks like he is going to wait until the last minute. Kinda stupid. The season ended a long time ago. I am sure by now he has figured out what he is going to do.

Darkwaters
06-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Just cause you made that much money doesn't mean that you have a dime to your name at the end of the day. I'm not saying that Finley is bad with money or that I know anything about his situation. But the trend with professional athletes is that they can't manage money and often end up broke (or broker than they should be by far).

DPG21920
06-29-2009, 04:41 PM
One of the worst parts about Finley picking up his option is that it makes re-signing Bowen much less likely. :td

Don't blame Finley, blame Pop. Pop took Bruce out of the rotation, not Finley.

baseline bum
06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Finley would be awesome in 10 minutes a night. It'll never happen though; if he picks up his option, he's going to get 25+ minutes a night at the expense of Mason and Hill.

:vomit:

I hope he walks or retires.

EricB
06-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Finley would be awesome in 10 minutes a night. It'll never happen though; if he picks up his option, he's going to get 25+ minutes a night at the expense of Mason and Hill.

:vomit:

I hope he walks or retires.

I disagree.

But ok.

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 07:41 PM
So Fin has to decide prior to 12am Wednesday? If so, I would think we will know late tonight or early tomorrow.

BackHome
06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
the biggest choker on our team wasn't m. Finley, it was your beloved r. Mason.

+1

BillMc
06-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Actually, Finn made THE shot in the regular season finale against New Orleans. Since we lost fairly easily to Dallas in the playoffs it turned out to be probably our most important victory of the season.

I hope Fin signs. That way we either have an experienced backup at the SF or another contract for trades.

But I'd rather have Bowen back.

Bender
06-29-2009, 07:57 PM
you mean you hope he stays. he's already signed. I hope he opts out, but wouldn't mind him staying IF he gets limited minutes (severely limited).

vander
06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
so we should know within the next 2:20 right? or did I read that wrong

FvckMavs
06-29-2009, 08:51 PM
so we should know within the next 2:20 right? or did I read that wrong

Plus one day.

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 09:36 PM
He's had plenty of time to make up his mind. At this point, I find it ridiculous that he hasn't conveyed his intentions to the Spurs. Get on with it Fin.

BillMc
06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
he's had plenty of time to make up his mind. At this point, i find it ridiculous that he hasn't conveyed his intentions to the spurs. Get on with it fin.

+1

AFBlue
06-29-2009, 09:40 PM
He's had plenty of time to make up his mind. At this point, I find it ridiculous that he hasn't conveyed his intentions to the Spurs. Get on with it Fin.

Putting his house on the market makes it seem like he's leaning one way over the other.

But one more day doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because the Spurs can't begin to negotiate with potential replacements (should he opt out) until Wednesday.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 09:44 PM

:rolleyes

I'm sure Finley is truly sorry he's not making a decision that involves millions of dollars of his money in the timeframe you would prefer.

loveforthegame
Why shouldn't he take his time? It's not like the Spurs could be signing guys but are hung up waiting on him instead.

NewJerSpur
Mike if you're reading this, give up your spot, please.

Spursmania
Putting his house on the market makes it seem like he's leaning one way over the other.

But one more day doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because the Spurs can't begin to negotiate with potential replacements (should he opt out) until Wednesday.

True, I'm sure the Spurs have plan A and Plan B. But, really I'm sure he's made up his mind but just hasn't come forward yet. :hungry:

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 09:48 PM
:rolleyes

I'm sure Finley is truly sorry he's not making a decision that involves millions of dollars of his money in the timeframe you would prefer.

Is not what I'd prefer that counts, of course, but certainly he should be considering what's in the best interest of the team as well. I think it's rather telling that he hasn't been up front with his decision yet. He's had plenty of time to decide.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Is not what I'd prefer that counts, of course, but certainly he should be considering what's in the best interest of the team as well. I think it's rather telling that he hasn't been up front with his decision yet. He's had plenty of time to decide.

:blah

You're just bothered because you want to know right now and Finley isn't accommodating you.

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 10:02 PM
:blah

You're just bothered because you want to know right now and Finley isn't accommodating you.

That too:lol

loveforthegame
06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are not as worried as we are. Can you imagine the plans they have outlined for either scenerio?

NewJerSpur
06-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are not as worried as we are. Can you imagine the plans they have outlined for either scenerio?

I don't even want to imagine the plans they have outlined for his return, but the alternative on the other hand....

Spursmania
06-29-2009, 10:09 PM

I hope one of their pressing priorities is to get Timmy some help and bring in Sheed.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 10:13 PM

I'm guessing those plans look like this:

Finley takes his option:
1. Get a big.
2. Deal with Finley later.

Finley declines his option:
1. Get a big.
2. Deal with Finley's replacement later.