PDA

View Full Version : Pops Mensa Bonsu

PeterBurns
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Was talking to someone about this earlier.
Was their ever a reason why the Spurs got rid of him? Just curious, as I don't recall them ever really addressing it.

rold50
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Drew Gooden.

Dex
06-28-2009, 07:22 PM
If I remember correctly, he was the odd man out when the Spurs picked up Drew Gooden.

NRHector
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM
he was dunking too much and we all know that Pop doesn't like that

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
He's not any good.

EricB
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Other than the fact he doesn't have any basketball skills?

None I can think of.

exstatic
06-28-2009, 07:31 PM
People kept confusing Pops with Pop, and Greg wasn't havin' any of it.

PeterBurns
06-28-2009, 07:33 PM

None I can think of.

Oh, I forgot. I guess he borrowed some when he went for 21/8 for the Raptors late in the season.

I mean, when hasn't Marcus Williams, and James Gist done the same....;)

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately for Pops, that performance wasn't enough to convince the Raptors that he was someone worth keeping around.

poop
06-28-2009, 09:27 PM

None I can think of.

yes thank god we kept Bonner, JV, and oberto instead, they brought a skillset which proved invaluable to the team's success in the playoffs.

Spursmania
06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh oh Poop,

I remember you were really hot on Pops right? Where is he now?

Twisted_Dawg
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
After we cut him, didn't we bring back in Malik Harrision for a couple of weeks? Maybe Harrison was cut to make room for Gooden.

ulosturedge
06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
His offense had potential but his defense was a project. We needed added defense but we didn't need anymore projects.

VivaPopovich
06-29-2009, 03:27 AM
lol i'll always remember that blowout game against cleveland at SA when the spurs 2nd string almost staged a comeback, at best kept the crowd entertained. i remember the look on lebron's face, watching on. mike brown had to bring back wally and gibson to contain the fire. unfortunately the wally 3 iced it

mensa was on fire that game. last time i remember someone grabbing that many offensive rebounds was when nazr was grabbing them against the suns in the 2005 conference finals. felt good to see a real center out there for a change, not that matt bonner b*******

you my boy mensa. you my boy.

iilluzioN
06-29-2009, 03:28 AM
dont worry, the gist is coming

MoSpur
06-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I think he's got a lot of energy and is a fierce competitor, which the Spurs were in need of and still kind of need it, which is why they drafted Blair. IMO at least. Pops was let go because they were gonna sign Gooden.

manufan10
06-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I don't think it had anything to do with his "basketball skill." It had to do with him being the odd man out and when the Spurs signed Gooden. I wouldn't mind bringing him in to play summer league ball, and an invite to camp. He showed some great athleticism and he's young, both points in which fans have cried that the Spurs desperately need.

hater
06-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Pops is a raw wild animal.

would not mind him as last man on the bench

xLCo66av7KI

c7eAhFgCv5M

Tully365
06-29-2009, 09:37 AM
It's true he might need to focus a little more on fundamentals to make coach Pop happy, but given his energy level and athleticism I still think he's an inexpensive and viable 12th or 13th man option who could be helpful in the event of a short term injury to a back up player. Anyone that wants to say that he is completely devoid of skills and promise should probably re-evaluate Mahinmi too, since Mensah-Bonsu's most recent D-league numbers were quite a bit more impressive than Ian's.

cheney212
06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
hes not that good i mean he played 1 game and did okay in garbage minutes

nkdlunch
06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
dude is a human in-game highlight reel.

I think too many dunks pissed off Pop

manufan10
06-29-2009, 09:52 AM
If you look at his stats, when he played minutes, he put up decent numbers. I don't think anyone is saying he should be a starter for the Spurs, yet. I do think that if given the numbers he can produce. In games where he averaged over 20 minutes per game, he scored 9.5 ppg. He also averaged 7.1 rpg when he played over 20 minutes. To say that the Spurs couldn't use a big who can score 9 ppg and grab 7.1 rpg is lying to themselves.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
If anyone thought Pops could average 9 & 7 over the course of a full season he wouldn't be searching for his 3rd team in the last 4 months.

45 bank shot
06-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Was their ever a reason why the Spurs got rid of him? Just curious, as I don't recall them ever really addressing it.

get off his nuts okay?
this will prolly be another Courtney Sims situation.
btw where are those people who claimed it was the end of the world when spurs passed up Courtney sims to the SUns?

SenorSpur
06-29-2009, 09:58 AM
It's true he might need to focus a little more on fundamentals to make coach Pop happy, but given his energy level and athleticism I still think he's an inexpensive and viable 12th or 13th man option who could be helpful in the event of a short term injury to a back up player.

+1.

For that matter, the Fakers have D.J. "Moose" Bhenga as a 13th man on the end of their bench. He's a raw energy guy too that has provided some jolt in a crunch for them. Certainly Pops could be used in just such a way.

45 bank shot
06-29-2009, 09:58 AM
If you look at his stats, when he played minutes, he put up decent numbers. I don't think anyone is saying he should be a starter for the Spurs, yet. I do think that if given the numbers he can produce. In games where he averaged over 20 minutes per game, he scored 9.5 ppg. He also averaged 7.1 rpg when he played over 20 minutes. To say that the Spurs couldn't use a big who can score 9 ppg and grab 7.1 rpg is lying to themselves.

I watched a lot of his games in toronto since I live Ontario. This guy was far from being efficient, all he did was looking for dunks and sometimes he couldn't finish them. He also wasted a great tip-in chance to win the ball game

manufan10
06-29-2009, 09:59 AM
If anyone thought Pops could average 9 & 7 over the course of a full season he wouldn't be searching for his 3rd team in the last 4 months.

FA haven't been able to sign. We don't know if teams think he can do it or not. We'll find out when teams start signing guys. Of course, he's not going to be the top of everyone's list when there's big time C's/PF's out there. However, he's shown statistically when he gets minutes he can put up some decent enough stats. I think if he's put into a proper situation, it could help him tremendously. I'm not saying he's starting material for any team, yet. I'm saying he can be a productive bench guy for a team.

manufan10
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
I watched a lot of his games in toronto since I live Ontario. This guy was far from being efficient, all he did was looking for dunks and sometimes he couldn't finish them. He also wasted a great tip-in chance to win the ball game

Again, I'm not saying that this guy should be a starter, all-star type guy. I think he can be a good solid bench player if given the opportunity on the right team. I'm not even suggesting that he be a sixth man on a team. I think if a team looking for a cheap in price big, like the Spurs, Pops should be up there on the list. He can make an impact on the team with his hustle.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
We know that before the Spurs picked him up no one was interested in him. We know the Spurs weren't interested in him after having him. And since Toronto could have kept him cheaply, yet decided not to it's apparent that they're not interested in him either. So all the evidence we have to go on right now suggests that the only ones who have any real interest in Pops are fans who saw him dunk a few times.

manufan10
06-29-2009, 10:09 AM
We know that before the Spurs picked him up no one was interested in him. We know the Spurs weren't interested in him after having him. And since Toronto could have kept him cheaply, yet decided not to it's apparent that they're not interested in him either. So all the evidence we have to go on right now suggests that the only ones who have any real interest in Pops are fans who saw him dunk a few times.

No, I think the Spurs were interested, however, when you bring in a guy like Drew Gooden for the season, then it makes someone expendable. Of course, being the new guy, that makes Pops Mr. Expendable. From what I saw, it was more than just the dunks, of course the Spurs were the lowest team with that. I saw energy from him. I saw hustle. I saw effort to go up and get rebounds. There was more to it than just dunks.

Tully365
06-29-2009, 12:37 PM
get off his nuts okay?
this will prolly be another Courtney Sims situation.
btw where are those people who claimed it was the end of the world when spurs passed up Courtney sims to the SUns?

There are many things to like about spurstalk, but the one thing that almost never fails to happen is that when one person suggests a player who might be a plausible and inexpensive 3rd string player in the rotation, some other person will inevitably respond that that player isn't as good as Wilt Chamberlain or David Robinson. NBA rosters are not composed of 15 all stars, and most teams are usually on the lookout for a relatively unknown or recently improved young player like a Mensah-Bonsu, a Courtney Sims, or an Ian Mahinmi.

duncan228
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Raptors make qualifying offer to Mensah-Bonsu (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=255099)

Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - The Toronto Raptors have extended a qualifying offer to forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Per team policy, financial details were not disclosed.

As a restricted free agent, Mensah-Bonsu can sign an offer sheet with another team, but Toronto now owns the right of first refusal.

Mensah-Bonsu, a London native and George Washington University product, averaged 5.1 points, 5.4 rebounds and 13.8 minutes in 19 games with the Raptors last season after signing as a free agent on March 6.

Previously he had signed a 10-day contract with the San Antonio Spurs and appeared in three games. His first taste of NBA action came in 2006-07, appearing in 12 games for the Dallas Mavericks.

EricB
06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Oh, I forgot. I guess he borrowed some when he went for 21/8 for the Raptors late in the season.

He played for the Raptors down the stretch when they were tanking.

If numbers on atanking team were worth a crap then guys like Ricky Davis would be wanted on the Spurs.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Well, I owe Pops an apology. I could have sworn I read somewhere the raps were going to cut him loose. Looks like I picked a bad week to start sniffing glue.

underdawg
06-29-2009, 06:48 PM

If numbers on atanking team were worth a crap then guys like Ricky Davis would be wanted on the Spurs.

10 and 8 after they got bonsu is not a very good job of tanking. When he got decent minutes he had decent stats, but you have to look at Marion's stats too as he did well when he first got there and then the pretty much cashed it in from there - what a surprise. No one seriously thinks this guy is a stud, but to say he'd be of no use to the Spurs is basically an ignorant statement.

underdawg
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM

How were you able to single out his performance as being inefficient compared to the rest of the inefficient raptor players?

EricB
06-29-2009, 06:52 PM
10 and 8 after they got bonsu is not a very good job of tanking. When he got decent minutes he had decent stats, but you have to look at Marion's stats too as he did well when he first got there and then the pretty much cashed it in from there - what a surprise. No one seriously thinks this guy is a stud, but to say he'd be of no use to the Spurs is basically an ignorant statement.

Whos he gonna play ahead of?

Gist?
Blair?
Fa addition?

Theres no room for a player with no offensive talent, mediocre defensive abilties and no basketball skills to speak of.

underdawg
06-29-2009, 06:57 PM

Gist?
Blair?
Fa addition?

Theres no room for a player with no offensive talent, mediocre defensive abilties and no basketball skills to speak of.

I don't know where he would fit in, but I would have liked him in the playoffs this year over bonner.

Tully365
06-29-2009, 07:08 PM

Gist?
Blair?
Fa addition?

Gotta disagree with you on this take... he wouldn't have to play ahead of anyone to earn a potential spot at the end of the bench, just as Yue, Mbenga, Lue, and Foyle didn't play ahead of anyone in last year's finals. No one's saying he's a starter or even a first back up.... every team has one or two cheap parts at the end of the bench just in case... what if, like in years past, no quality FAs want to come to San Antonio? I agree that he's a Plan J or Plan K, after Channing Frye says nope (:lol), but there's no point in writing him off completely....

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't know where he would fit in, but I would have liked him in the playoffs this year over bonner.

Sounds like a good reason to not worry about him anymore. Between Mahinmi, Blair and Gist the Spurs are well stocked in the "project big" department.

manufan10
06-29-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd say you give him a shot, like I said in my initial post, in summer league/training camp. Maybe the Spurs think the Gist isn't ready. Again, not saying he should be a starter or even the sixth man. However, right now the team is short on bigs, and he would fill a need and for cheap. I'm not saying that the Spurs should have Pops on the top of their list, but he should be on their list. If the Spurs are strapped for cash, Pops could be a guy you bring in for cheap. From what I've seen, he's a guy that would be a high energy guy off the bench. Something the Spurs bench has needed for years. This could also help Manu so he doesn't have to be the only spark that comes off the bench. He'd have another energy guy with him. I can understand hesitation, because he would be another big with little to no experience. However, the Spurs shouldn't also try and stockpile old guys with only a little athletic ability left.

Spursfan092120
06-29-2009, 10:01 PM

Yeah...never quite understood the Bonsu hate on here. Guess people just rolled their eyes when people were building him up so high, but the guy definitely does have talent.

benefactor
10-15-2009, 08:18 PM
So far tonight...19 min, 17pts, 7reb(5 offensive), 5blk.

We have Ian though....:stirpot:

dallaskd
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Pops probably wouldnt even be in the nba right now if the mavs hadnt gave him a chance in 2006.

HarlemHeat37
10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Is he playing against the Raptors?..because that doesn't count..

Good for him though..I doubt he gets much PT..

previous 3 preseason games: 5.3 PPG on 25% FG, 0 total blocks..

AussieFanKurt
10-15-2009, 09:04 PM
he could mature into an excellent player, not sure why we got rid of him for gooden

mingus
10-15-2009, 09:15 PM

you gave one example of a guy who's an idiot and a cancer and he's supposed to be representational of every basketball player that plays well on a crap team and puts up decent numbers?

do you actually believe the shit you type?

mingus
10-15-2009, 09:17 PM
oops . . . didn't look at the dates of the posts.

anyway, Pops' recent play speaks for itself and everyone who had his back.

exstatic
10-15-2009, 09:25 PM

He sucked. [/thread]

wijayas
10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
People kept confusing Pops with Pop, and Greg wasn't havin' any of it.

:lmao

spurspokesman
10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
yes thank god we kept Bonner, JV, and oberto instead, they brought a skillset which proved invaluable to the team's success in the playoffs.
:lol

in2deep
10-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Pops > Bonner

Allanon
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Pops dunked waaaayyyy too much and with too much attitude; that's not Spurs basketball, he had to go.

Mel_13
10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Pops dunked waaaayyyy too much and with too much attitude; that's not Spurs basketball, he had to go.

Between the dunking and the headband, he never really had a chance.

djohn2oo8
10-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I think that he was just motivated to play against the Raptors, but it would be great if he could be consistent like last night......Now that Mutumbo is gone, they definitely need a shot blocking presence

8ERdS1rSRD0

EricB
10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Not better than Bonner, McDyess, Blair, Mahinmi, nor Duncan.

Yeah I can see why people would still want him here, I mean theres so many minutes available.....

Allanon
10-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Hahah, never thought about the headband angle. Probably explains Gooden's departure as well. :lol

PDXSpursFan
10-16-2009, 03:56 PM
So Pops can catch the ball and dunk? And block frikin 6'3" Jarett Jack. Wow, we didn't know that :rolleyes

ElNono
10-16-2009, 04:37 PM
He wasn't that good?

poop
10-16-2009, 06:35 PM
he was still miles more effective than what we had at the time.

we were a team DESPERATELY in need of rebounding, energy, and inside presence.

which is EXACTLY what pops brought.

so naturally, we decided to wave the youthful energy and rebounding in favor of keeping jaque vaughn-an ancient 3rd-string pg and keeping matt 'steve kerr' bonner as our starting center.

LMAO it was a total disgrace and blunder.

EricB
10-16-2009, 06:37 PM
he was still miles more effective than what we had at the time.

we were a team DESPERATELY in need of rebounding, energy, and inside presence.

which is EXACTLY what pops brought.

so naturally, we decided to wave the youthful energy and rebounding in favor of keeping jaque vaughn-an ancient 3rd-string pg and keeping matt 'steve kerr' bonner as our starting center.

LMAO it was a total disgrace and blunder.

Yeah cause Pops Mensah fucking Bonsu is the reason they didn't move on in the playoffs.

Do the world a favor and drink a bottle of bleach.

HarlemHeat37
10-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't have minded Pops over Vaughn at all, no question there..Bonner isn't debatable though, Matt is levels above Bonsu as a player..

EricB
10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't have minded Pops over Vaughn at all, no question there..Bonner isn't debatable though, Matt is levels above Bonsu as a player..

They were gonna bring in Drew Gooden.

Its all a fucking moot point cause the players they all have now are all better than this guy anyways.

Blackjack
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Speaking of headbands, did anyone catch the Mavs' act last night?

It seems they're doing some kind of team headband thing and Dirk looks like his last name should be Navratilova...

poop
10-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah cause Pops Mensah fucking Bonsu is the reason they didn't move on in the playoffs.

Do the world a favor and drink a bottle of bleach.

fact is he would have contributed a hell of alot more that the ancient stiffs we waived him for.

your beloved bonner 'contributed' what, 4pts, 3 rb, 0 blks, 0 stls, 0 defense and 20% 3's in that series?

vaughn and oberto even LESS.

he would have at least done a better keeping up with Bass, provided some energy, and done a hell of alot better on the boards and cleanup/tip in duties.

if you dont agree with this its sheer denial.

poop
10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
the mavs are all ugly douchebags,marion is all empty stats and the mavs will fail miserably yet again.

mingus
10-16-2009, 08:04 PM
They were gonna bring in Drew Gooden.

Its all a fucking moot point cause the players they all have now are all better than this guy anyways.

still wondering how the fuck any sane person would honestly use this logic to stay away from a guy like Mensah:

"If numbers on atanking team were worth a crap then guys like Ricky Davis would be wanted on the Spurs."

Roger Mason Jr. would be a guy off the top of my head that that destroys this line of thinking

AussieFanKurt
10-17-2009, 01:59 AM
djohn2oo8 (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=14870)
that was a good video thanks

yavozerb
11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
According to Jonathan Feigen on Twitter, the Rockets are expected to cut Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Our View: The Rockets are already stacked with power forwards, so Pops is expendable. The move would save Houston some luxury tax dollars and open up a roster spot for a backcourt fill-in if the need arises.

Sorry, had to post it....

angelbelow
11-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Is he more serviceable/potential than Ian? :stirpot:

Indazone
11-14-2009, 10:17 AM
dude just cannot get a break

Spursmania
11-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Hahah, never thought about the headband angle. Probably explains Gooden's departure as well. :lol

And Devin Brown:lol

completely deck
11-14-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't get it. Why can't he find a team? I didn't think he was that bad.

exstatic
11-14-2009, 10:32 AM

And Devin Brown:lol

And Steven Jackson.

And DerMarr Johnson.

benefactor
11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Get your money, Pops. Go to Europe.

senorglory
11-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Would ST hate Bonner so much if he weren't a ginger?

ChumpDumper
11-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I wonder if the Toros still hold his D-League rights.

DPG21920
11-15-2009, 01:50 PM

That would be huge, but I cannot see why he would pass up money in Europe to stay in the DL.

SenorSpur
11-15-2009, 01:51 PM

Hasn't he already used up his 2-year D-League eligibility?

ChumpDumper
11-15-2009, 01:55 PM
That would be huge, but I cannot see why he would pass up money in Europe to stay in the DL.I don't know what is available in the way of roster spots and money in Europe at this point. I'm sure it's more than the D-League, but there's always the opportunity for another call up. I could see it going either way. It certainly would help explain the Toros' draft choices.

ChumpDumper
11-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Hasn't he already used up his 2-year D-League eligibility?He can join the D-League as a free agent at any time.

SenorSpur
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I thought that the Raptors were hot on his trail and, provided Pops doesn't accept a rumored standing offer with Macaabi, the Raps were hell-bent on bringing him back.

exstatic
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Hasn't he already used up his 2-year D-League eligibility?

That only applies to being sent down, but kept on the 15 man NBA roster. As CD said, he can accept a d-league contract any time. Europe would pay better, though.

SenorSpur
11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
That only applies to being sent down, but kept on the 15 man NBA roster. As CD said, he can accept a d-league contract any time. Europe would pay better, though.

Thanks to you both for clearing that up.

Now does anyone think Pops is ready for prime time? He's been at this for about 3-4 years now. Any chance on him sticking somewhere?

ChumpDumper
11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I thought that the Raptors were hot on his trail and, provided Pops doesn't accept a rumored standing offer with Macaabi, the Raps were hell-bent on bringing him back.Then how did Houston end up with him in the first place? I was only wondering; haven't kept up on any rumors.

SenorSpur
11-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Then how did Houston end up with him in the first place? I was only wondering; haven't kept up on any rumors.

Houston picked him up over the offseaon, as a FA signing. According to stuff I read, the Raptors had every intention on trying to keep him, but Houston got to him first.

Now that he's been released by the Rockets, the Raptors are dead serious about wanting hm back. They really like him and, of course, he became sort of a cult-favorite, just like he's been everywhere else. I think the ball is in Pop's court. Supposedly, he has an option to go to Europe or resign with the Raps.

FeZZy
11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I'd be down to signing him and sending Ian to the league if it's possible...:downspin: