PDA

View Full Version : What could Bonner + Finley bring back?

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes, I know, a pair of shit stained drawers.

Otherwise, what other potential salary dumps lurk for the Spurs? The board seems to assume that the next (and last) major move for the Spurs is to sign a starting big using the MLE. But that might not be the last of their moves this offseason. Plus, I wouldn't assume that a trade would be to return a big back. If they are going for broke now, it would make some sense to find another salary dump ala Jefferson. Maybe there's another 3 who could be had.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 09:52 PM
If Holt really threw caution to the wind, Nocioni would make a lot of sense....

timvp
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
If you spice it up with cash or a draft pick, you might be able to get a Foster, Haywood, Collison or Camby.

Gino2882
06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Seems extremely unlikely. Although Nocioni would be great as he has the size and toughness to play the 4 in smallball. Also his experience with Manu.

SouthTexasRancher
06-28-2009, 10:02 PM
With R.C., I'd expect at least an Ace up his sleeve...especially since he has a couple showing on the table and he just raised. Weds. could prove to be interesting...seeing where Sheed ends up, if the Clips do indeed trade Camby, etc., etc....

Dex
06-28-2009, 10:03 PM
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/Zelda06/Items/MagicBeans.jpg

Flux451
06-28-2009, 10:06 PM
If you spice it up with cash or a draft pick, you might be able to get a Foster, Haywood, Collison or Camby.

All good role players. anyone of them would help our boards go up. Foster seems like a likely candidate since Tyler has Bird swing from the jock. As much as I hated Foster when he played against our team, I wouldn't mind having his tenacity on our side.

Dex
06-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Seriously though, how much can teams stand to gain from taking on Bonner and Finley? How much of their money is guaranteed? If Finley decides to sign, I assume he's trade bait like anybody else?

I could see the incentive if the other team was getting to dump salary plus grab a pick or two, but I have to wonder if the Spurs would be willing to part with that much 'corporate knowledge' at this point. Unless they were able to swing the sign and trade for Fin, then still bring Bowen back, Spurs are going to need to keep some veterans on the floor who already know the system. We've still got to deal with the adjusting period of RJ (which seems to be being overlooked), as well as putting a lot of pressure on the shoulders of rookies and young guns like Hill, Blair, McClinton, Gist, etc. Can we rely on just the Big Three to carryover the Spurs philosophy?

Like it or not, I think either Finley or Bowen has to come back next season for continuities sake. It's pretty much a no-brainer for most people who they'd rather see.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Deal Finley and re-sign Bowen or make him an assistant coach.

spursbird
06-28-2009, 10:14 PM
No team would want Bonner and Finley.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2009, 10:14 PM
I actually think they are going to be dangling Bonner/Mason out there in trade. I'm not sure who they could bring back in, though.

K-State Spur
06-28-2009, 10:18 PM
No team would want Bonner and Finley.

Not about Bonner & Finley, it'd be about the combined 5.5 million in expiring contracts.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
The swingman spot is pretty stacked:

Jefferson/Gist/Bowen?
Mason/Manu/Hairston/McClinton

So I doubt they would go after another 3. With that combo I would like to see Foster or Collison.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
A salary dump would be the only appeal those two have. If Finley does opt in I think what will ultimately happen is the Spurs will keep Bonner and look to dump Finley off on some team under the cap or with a trade exception. We certainly don't want Bonner starting, but he's fine as a role player here.

FvckMavs
06-28-2009, 10:33 PM

How about John Salmons?

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
The swingman spot is pretty stacked:

Jefferson/Gist/Bowen?
Mason/Manu/Hairston/McClinton

So I doubt they would go after another 3. With that combo I would like to see Foster or Collison.

Outside of Manu and Jefferson it's wide open.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:36 PM
How about John Salmons?

Nice, but he's on a rather affordable deal.

SenorSpur
06-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Yes, I know, a pair of shit stained drawers.

Otherwise, what other potential salary dumps lurk for the Spurs? The board seems to assume that the next (and last) major move for the Spurs is to sign a starting big using the MLE. But that might not be the last of their moves this offseason. Plus, I wouldn't assume that a trade would be to return a big back. If they are going for broke now, it would make some sense to find another salary dump ala Jefferson. Maybe there's another 3 who could be had.

Somehow I can't see the Spurs dumping RJ this season. In fact, he'd have to bomb out pretty bad for the Spurs to dump him before his contract expires after the 2011 season.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 10:38 PM
How about John Salmons?

As far as the Bulls are concerned Salmons is untouchable right now because he's their leverage against Ben Gordon.

pad300
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Throw Mason into the pile and you could pick up a contract as big as Troy Murphy's... Such a move would take a lot of the criticality out of the FA market for us.

Duncan, Murphy, Mahinmi, Blair, Gist, FA Big
Manu, Jefferson, Bowen (Resigned), Hairston, McClinton,Williams/FA Wing
Parker, Hill, FA PG (Vet Min)

Looks pretty good to me. Depending on who that FA Big man is, looks really good...

Marcus Bryant
Somehow I can't see the Spurs dumping RJ this season. In fact, he'd have to bomb out pretty bad for the Spurs to dump him before his contract expires after the 2011 season.

I meant that the Spurs could find another team ready to do a salary dump like the Bucks did with Jefferson.

Kori Ellis
If the Spurs strike out in the Rasheed/McDyess department, I can see them putting together a package for Collison. He's not awesome by any means, but he'd actually fit well here.

Marcus Bryant
Throw Mason into the pile and you could pick up a contract as big as Troy Murphy's... Such a move would take a lot of the criticality out of the FA market for us.

Looks pretty good to me. Depending on who that FA Big man is, looks really good...

We have a winner. IMO. :smokin

Behrooz24
06-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Collison wouldn't be bad, pretty good length, hard worker

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:42 PM
...and there's the KU connection.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Then I think you consider a vet backup for the 3, like, um, a Grant Hill.

coyotes_geek
06-28-2009, 10:46 PM

That's a weak bench. Real weak. Murphy, 38 year old Bowen, a vet min pg who won't be much better than Vaughn (if not Vaughn himself), and 7 guys with 1 year of nba experience or less. No thanks.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
RE: Nocioni. It appears that his salary would decrease over time. It was $8.5 mil in 2007-08 (http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries09.txt) and $8 mil in 2008-09 (http://www.eskimo.com/~pbender/misc/salaries08.txt) per Patricia's site. If it continues to decrease at a half mil a season, then the final 3 years would amount to $21 mil. Not cheap by any stretch, but not bad. His deal ends in 2012, which is when TD's will end.

spursbird
06-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I would like to get Collison. He rebounded well.

K-State Spur
06-28-2009, 10:51 PM
How about John Salmons?

a) because our backcourt/wing situation already looks pretty decent.

b) salmons is a bit of a volume player who needs 10+ shots per game to be effective. that wouldn't (and shouldn't) happen with the newly created big 4. he really only makes sense if you're banking on Ginobili going down with another injury. otherwise, for our purposes, mason fills a role better.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:51 PM
That's a weak bench. Real weak. Murphy, 38 year old Bowen, a vet min pg who won't be much better than Vaughn (if not Vaughn himself), and 7 guys with 1 year of nba experience or less. No thanks.

True. Which is why I think if they pull off a trade using Bonner + Finley (and/or Mason) that it would return someone other than a big. Their MLE seems destined to be used on a starting bigman.

dbestpro
06-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Look at it from the other team's perspective. Which teams were the worse 3 pt shooters.

Philadelphia, Washington, Detroit, Utah and OKC were the poorest 3 pt teams. Wash made the trade withe Min and Phil signed Kopono. Oddly enough Detroit will need to fill some spots once they settle on their main free agents. Maybe a sign and trade?

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Holt would probably croak, but Boris Diaw wouldn't be bad...

mingus
06-28-2009, 11:01 PM
I actually think they are going to be dangling Bonner/Mason out there in trade. I'm not sure who they could bring back in, though.

hopefully a guy that can shoot threes because without them the Spurs would be lacking in the three department.

Marcus Bryant
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
How about the Warriors? Do they want to carry both Jack and Maggette?

cheney212
06-28-2009, 11:36 PM
If Holt really threw caution to the wind, Nocioni would make a lot of sense....

im with ya

EricB
06-28-2009, 11:36 PM
They guy out of those two they would want to trade is Maggette and after what I saw of him last year, no thanks.

vander
06-28-2009, 11:45 PM
we need Mason, can't send him away without getting a shooter back.
not to many trades here look the least bit enticing. Bonner IMO has more value to us than anything we could get in a trade for him. I think we add a scrappy defensive center like Andersen or Varejao, bring in some of our existing assets, and call it an offseason.

phxspurfan
06-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Spurs get Andris Biedrins
Jazz get Mggette, Turiaf, Bonner
Warriors get Boozer, Kuofos, Mason, Mahinmi

(this trade succeeded)

Obstructed_View
06-29-2009, 01:29 AM
A Bonner + Finley trade could bring back happy times on Spurstalk.

VivaPopovich
06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
wouldnt get much at this point. this league is already full of "kickout shooters" it isn't always a good move because teams close out on it pretty well especially during the playoffs

i'd suspect they'd have appeal to a team like utah or golden state

Obstructed_View
06-29-2009, 05:03 AM
I'm sure other teams are aware of how good shooters seem to get when they play alongside Tim Duncan. They aren't likely to fall for gaudy numbers.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
How about the Warriors? Do they want to carry both Jack and Maggette?

Seems to me like that was the reasoning behind shipping Crawford out.

SpuronyourFace
06-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I don't know, not really a Collinson fan. Rather have Anderson.

mountainballer
06-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Holt's willingness to pay lux tax opens completely new scenarios. (ignoring that going 5M over the threshold is still much different than to go 15 million over it).
if the Spurs can get either Collison or Foster for this package, they can go much more comfortable into a free agency but still bid for Sheed, McDyess, Pachulia or Varejao.
best case would be they get Foster AND one of this 4 FAs.
(then use the BAE for a player like Quinton Ross, who last season looked as if he has learned to shoot the 3 a bit)

btw. Bonner alone could bring back Turiaf, if the Spurs offer this trade. (I don't know from what date the salary number of the next season are used for a trade. 2008-09 numbers of course don't work streight, 09-10 number would).
if the Spurs land Sheed, Turiaf would make more sense than Bonner. (this doesn't mean that I'm sure that Turiaf is worth the 4 million per. I would of course rather pay 2 million more and get a solid big like Collison or Foster)

Spurs16212
06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
If they can land a free agent big like Wallace or McDyess then I would like to see the Spurs go after John Salmons in a trade for Finley and Bonner.....

twilo73
06-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I love some of the suggestions here... Murphy, Camby and Biedrins would be dreams.

I also love going after Sheed or Verajao (over McDyess).

What about a trade with Phoenix that gets us Barbosa and Lopez? Would do that in a heart beat if we can also sign Tiago.

2pac
06-29-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not saying I would do all these. but.......

Atlanta
Marvin Williams for Bonner/Finley

Boston
Glen Davis, Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo for Manu, Tony, Bonner and Finley

Charlotte
Boris Diaw for Bonner/Finley/Mason
Raja Bell for Bonner/Finley
Gerald Wallace for Bonner/Finley/Mason

Chicago
Ty Thomas for Bonner/Finley
Brad Miller for Bonner/Finley/Mason

Cle:
Z for Bonner/Finley/Mason

Dallas:
Nothing that interests me that Cuban would do. He isn;t giving us Stackhouse.

Denver:
They wouldn't send us JR Smith, Linas Kleiza or Chris Andersen.

Detroit:
Rip Hamilton for Bonner/Finley/Mason

Golden State:
No way we could get Biedrins from them. Not really interested in 4 more years of SJax or Maggette and I doubt they part with their cheap rookies.

Houston:
I'd love Shane, but Morey isn't gonna help us.

Indiana
Troy Murphy for Bonner/Finley/Mason
Jeff Foster for Bonner/Finley

LAClippers
Camby for Bonner/Finley
Kaman for Bonner/Finley/Mason

LALakers:
They aren't helping us.

Memphis;
Under the cap, they dont need to dump salaries, unless it was Jaric or QRich, who I don't want.

Miami:
Haslem for Bonner/Finley

Milwaukee:
Kurt Thomas for Bonner :)
They arent dumping Bogut, no one else is interesting.

Minnesota:
No one that interesting.

New Jersey
Najera, Dooling and Lee for Bonner, Finley

New Orleans:
Tyson Chandler for Bonner/Finley/Mason

New York:
Nothing I really like outside of David Lee
Jared Jefferies/Wilson Chandler for Mason/Bonner/Finley

OKC:
Collison for Finley/Bonner

Orlando:
If they want to Keep Turkey, Pietrus for Bonner/Finley

Philadelphia:
Dalembert for mason/Bonner/finley

Phoenix:
Barbosa for Finley/Bonner

Portland:
Not really shedding money, but
Webster for BonnerFinley

Sacramento:
Nocioni for Bonner/Finley
They wouldn't part with Spender Hawes or KMart.

Toronto:
Don't think they are wanting to dump Calderon or Bargnani, so I dont think there is anyone else here I am interested in.

Utah:
No one I would wawnt. Deron's not leaving, and Millsap and Boozer are free agents.

Washington:
I think Caron isn't touchable for relief.
Jamison for Bonner/Finley/Mason
Haywood for Bonner/Finley
Haywood/Blatche for Bonner/Finley/Mason

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Given the current roster make up I'd be very, very leery about making a trade involving Finley, Bonner AND Mason. We do need a bench afterall, preferrably one that includes some guys who fall somewhere in that happy middle ground between over the hill veteran and unproven rookie. If Finley isn't in the plans then a trade packaging him with Bonner for another big makes sense because you're dumping a guy you didn't want and upgrading from Bonner. But when you start adding Mason in there now you're making a trade to upgrade from Bonner at the expense of creating a hole at backup SG. Obviously if someone is willing to just give away another all-star caliber player for those 3, then sure. But he's got to be a pretty special player. Way more special than the names currently being thrown around.

buttsR4rebounding
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I seriously doubt we trade Finley and Bonner. We need a bench and these guys are reasonably priced back ups that know the system. We need one or 2 bigs out of FA and we should be cocked and loaded.

Sheed/Ian/Bonner
Duncan/Blair
RJ/Finely/Gist
Mason/Manu/McClinton
Parker/Hill

With Ian and Bonner taking up some of the minutes at the 4 and Manu and Mason any additional minutes at the 1 and we are going to be very difficult to beat. I wouldn't have any problem bringing back Oberto or Rasho cheap as an insurance big or a vet pg at the minimum as insurance.:lobt2:

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I have no problem with seeing Bonner and Finley dealt. Assuming that Bowen will be waived and available, Finley is less useful. Plus, even if the Spurs have Ginobili, Jefferson, and Mason in the swingman rotation, Pop will find a way to play Finley 25 minutes a night.

The affair must end.

poop
06-29-2009, 02:12 PM
at this point i dont even care what we get back for bonner, he must go.

bonner is the albatross hes the consumate symbol of all that was wrong with our team last year and a half

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Bonner playing heavy minutes was a symptom of the problem. He's fine as a 4th/5th big. The problem was that the Spurs didn't have anyone else, so you had Bonner as the 2nd/3rd big.

bigdog
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Bonner playing heavy minutes was a symptom of the problem. He's fine as a 4th/5th big. The problem was that the Spurs didn't have anyone else, so you had Bonner as the 2nd/3rd big.

Exactly. If Bonner is used as maybe a 4th big, he's not bad at all, so I would keep him, however, if he must be included in a deal to get a starting-caliber big, I'm all for it. Let him go.

The Truth #6
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Finley isn't going anywhere. Somehow the youth movement excludes Finley. If Pop does play Finley 25-30 minutes a night, then the whole youth movement is a joke and a waste. I'm not even joking.

Yeah, the Finley bashing is harsh but considering how many millions he's made, I think it's part of the territory. Nice guy. Just please retire.

barbacoataco
06-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I have no problem with Finley as the 4/5th swing man. Also his expiring contract could be useful at some point. With all the youth potentially coming in, his experience with the Spurs system will help integrate the new players. If Bowen is on the team somehow then I would say no to Finley.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 02:59 PM
If Finley exercises his option, he's gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs deal every other expiring contract they have at this point (except for Manu & perhaps Mason).

urunobili
06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe Collison?

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 03:32 PM
For the bench, sure.

silk
06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
In an ideal world, bonner+ mason+ splitter's rights for Varejao

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
In an ideal world, bonner+ mason+ splitter's rights for Varejao

???

Varejo is a free agent. They can just sign him outright.

silk
06-29-2009, 03:43 PM
He's a free agent but he will look for more than the MLE, so sign and trade is a good way to get him

Cavs would like shooters to create some space for Shaq and Lebron

xtremesteven33
06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Finley shouldve been the sole reason for the youth movement in San Antonio.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
He's a free agent but he will look for more than the MLE, so sign and trade is a good way to get him

Cavs would like shooters to create some space for Shaq and Lebron

He can look for it all he wants, that doesn't mean he'll get it. Even if he does, fine, let him make his money elsewhere. We're better off using our MLE on someone else and keeping Mason, Bonner and Finley.

silk
06-29-2009, 03:51 PM
I think he can get that. And besides varejao, dice, and sheed, none of the bigs options would have such impact for the rest of duncan's contract here

And, i just think that the team, still payin' the luxury tax, would be less stacked, but more balanced, openin' space for MacClinton and Georgie and Mahinmi, and a little less tax to pay maybe

Dunc n Dave
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Not about Bonner & Finley, it'd be about the combined 5.5 million in expiring contracts.

Finley and Bonner could bring in any player or (combo of players) whose salary is $6.9 million or less this season.

Wanna know who falls into that category?
Jared Jeffries
Joel Przybilla
Martell Webster
Leandro Barbosa (doubt PHX would trade with SA though)
Francisco Garcia
Matt Harpring
Kyle Korver
Andrea Bargnani
Michael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Nenad Kristic
Morris Peterson
James Posey
Jeff Foster
Shane Battier
Jason Maxiell
John Salmons
Tim Thomas
Raja Bell
Nazr Mohammed
Dasagana Diop

There are a few others that I didn't include becuase there's no way FInley & Bonner would convince their team to give them up. The guys above are either attainable or at least POSSIBLY attainable (team trying to dump salary) for Finley & Bonner.

HarlemHeat37
06-29-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree with your point, but I wouldn't want the majority of those guys, even for Finley-Bonner..

ajballer4
06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd take Garcia for the pair and possibly another from SAC but idk the numbers

Dunc n Dave
06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
BTW, to the people who are suggesting we can get Camby for Bonner and Finley; your math is WRONG!

Camby =$9.65 million
Bonner/Finley = $5.5 million

The highest possible salary Bonner & Finley could get us in return is $6.9 million. Camby is not an option unless you throw in Mason too.

DO NOT USE HOOPSHYPE for salaries. Shamsports and ESPN trade machine are more reliable.

Hoopshype says Camby makes $7.65 million
shamsports and ESPN say $9.65 million

EricB
06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Finley and Bonner could bring in any player or (combo of players) whose salary is $6.9 million or less this season.

Jared Jeffries
Joel Przybilla
Martell Webster
Francisco Garcia
Matt Harpring
Kyle Korver
Andrea Bargnani
Michael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Nenad Kristic
Morris Peterson
James Posey
Jeff Foster
Shane Battier
Jason Maxiell
John Salmons
Tim Thomas
Raja Bell
Nazr Mohammed
Dasagana Diop

There are a few others that I didn't include becuase there's no way FInley & Bonner would convince their team to give them up. The guys above are either attainable or at least POSSIBLY attainable (team trying to dump salary) for Finley & Bonner.

Only player on that list I'd want is Pryzbilla, and MAYBE Posey, but Posey I think is on his last legs.

Dunc n Dave
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Only player on that list I'd want is Pryzbilla, and MAYBE Posey, but Posey I think is on his last legs.

Posey is overpaid because of his playoff heroics for Boston. He did not earn his money last season for New Orleans.

Mugen
06-29-2009, 05:48 PM

Jared Jeffries
Joel Przybilla
Martell Webster
Francisco Garcia
Matt Harpring
Kyle Korver
Andrea Bargnani
Michael Pietrus
Nick Collison
Nenad Kristic
Morris Peterson
James Posey
Jeff Foster
Shane Battier
Jason Maxiell
John Salmons
Tim Thomas
Raja Bell
Nazr Mohammed
Dasagana Diop

Battier, Salmons, Pietrus, and Pryzbilla. all would be great fits.

benefactor
06-29-2009, 05:59 PM
CV not getting a QO from the Bucks suddenly makes a S&T more interesting if Finley opts in. If you can get the Pacers to part with Jeff Foster(or OKC with Collison), then sign CV for what his QO would have been you wind up with a pretty damn deep team.

Parker/Hill
Mason/Manu/McClinton
RJ/Hairston/Gist
Duncan/CV/Gist
Foster(Collison)/Mahmni/Blair

EricB
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Foster is constantly hurt, doesn't block shots and stinks.

Collison is another DeJuan Blair no thanks.

Villenueva stinks.

Sheed or Deyss.

mardigan
06-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Villenueva stinks.

16 points, 7 rebounds, and a block in 27 minutes a game does stink. Great call.

benefactor
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Exactly. Add that to someone like Collison who averaged 8 and 7 in 26 minutes and is a good defender and you have a pretty sick lineup. It might actually be a better overall deal than getting Sheed or Dice by themselves.

jdaveah
06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
If we're going for broke this year without normal regard for subsequent years, this makes sense:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=npj8sf

I can see both teams doing it if the Spurs are only focused on this coming season. If you can then sign Sheed/McD, you're fielding:

C - Sheed or McD
PF - Duncan
SF - RJ
SG - Jack
PG - Parker

then your 3 off the bench during playoff time are Manu, George Hill, and Blair. Potentially resign Bruce, and hopefully Ian can provide 10 minutes a game during the regular season. If the FO isn't feeling good about that, I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Mikki Moore was available at or near the minimum. Your remaining two roster spots go to whoever looks best on the Spurs second rounder pu pu platter and maybe one of them even becomes reliable.

GSH
06-30-2009, 03:07 AM
You know... the Blazers have LaMarcus Aldridge, and if they think Greg Oden will finally be healthy enough to play they could afford to deal Joel Przybilla. His salary is a match for Bonner/Finley.

He's not much of a scorer, but he's a decent defender and rebounder. And he's a legitimate 7-footer, and pretty damned strong. Pretty much the things most people agree the Spurs need. Compared to Rasho, Przybilla is younger, quicker, a better rebounder, a better shot blocker (yep), and cheaper (probably). And he gets to the line a hell of a lot more often than Rasho, even though he doesn't knock them down very well.

What's in it for the Blazers? They have a lot of young guys, and could use some experience - especially from a team that knows how to win in the playoffs. Plus they could use a couple of guys who can knock down 3's. And it would put them in incredible salary cap position next year, when they have to start thinking about giving extensions to Aldridge and Roy.

I'm not saying Przybilla would be my first choice. But I'd rather have him than Rasho - especially for less money. And he's better than a lot of the scrubs on the FA lists. He's definitely big and strong enough to defend the other bigs in the league.

EricB
06-30-2009, 03:13 AM

Put up on a Milwaukee lottery team and a coach that couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Yeah I'm sold.

EricB
06-30-2009, 03:14 AM
Exactly. Add that to someone like Collison who averaged 8 and 7 in 26 minutes and is a good defender and you have a pretty sick lineup. It might actually be a better overall deal than getting Sheed or Dice by themselves.

Yeah because McDyess who is twice the player than either one of em who averaged 9 rebounds a game is such a lesser player.

Guess what. Dyess also plays DEFENSE. Something "CV" can't even spell.

scottspurs
06-30-2009, 03:33 AM
I posted this in another thread already but I think it could answer your question.

I can't believe so many people are freaking out about Finley. If he goes great, I wish him the best. If he stays he gives us another expiring contract. Since we've ditched the 2010 plan we could use some of the expiring contracts to pick up someone from a team who does have a 2010 plan. Since it sounds like Holt is willing to pay the tax the possibilities are endless. And if finley is on the Roster he wasn't that bad last season so I wouldn't mind him as a reserve.

we would have about 9.4 mil in expiring contracts:
Finley: 2.5 mil
Bonner: 3.2 mil
Mason 3.7 mil
Manu too but were not trading him unless he gets hurt again and we can rent a championship with someone like Cris Bosh.

With 9.4+(if you trade some cheap Rookie contracts as well) million in trade assets we could get a good player from a team trying to unload a contract that goes beyond 2010. The rights to Tiago Splitter could aslo sweeten a possible deal

Example of possible players that fit this scenario are:

Nick Collison 6.2 mil
Tyson Chandler 11.8 mil
Marcus Camby 7.6 mil
Chris Kaman 10.4 mil
Josh Smith 10.8 mil
Boris Diaw 9.0
Gerald Wallace 9.0 mil
Luol Deng 10.3 mil
Stephen Jackson 7.6 mil
Andrew Bogut 10.0 mil
Samuel Dalembert 11.3 mil
Joel Przybilla 6.8 mil
Andres Nocioni 7.5 mil
Caron Butler 9.7 mil
David West 9.0 mil
Cory Maggette 9.0 mil
Shane Battier 6.8 mil
Andrea Bargnani 6.5 mil
John Salmons 5.4 mil
Troy Murphy 11.0 mil

I know most of these names sound unrealistic, but a team may want to get rid of one of these contracts if the team is not performing well, are having money troubles or if they want to jump in the Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Kobe, Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Raymond Felton, Shaq, Dirk, McGrady, Michael Redd, Ginobili, Bobby Simmons, Amare Stoudemire, Steve Nash, Mike Miller, Brendan Haywood, and Mark Madsen Sweepstakes.

This would most likely not happen, but if it did, it would probably go down during the All-star break or the trade deadline in Feb. To fill up the roster spots that this trade made we could use a combination of Vets and bring in some young players that will spend most of the season with the Austin Toros.

I believe Blair will already be on the team so youngsters who could develop in austin and be brought up once this happened would be:

James Gist-replace Bonner/Finley
Jack McClinton-replace Mason
Marcus Williams-replace Finley
Malik Hairston-replace Bonner/Finley
Nando De Colo-replace Mason

Just one of the Benefits of having the Toros is having more bullets in our gun.

After a trade like this we could also fill up some roster spots with capable and hungry vets that will be cut during the season and available for the minimum being players like:

Bruce Bowen
Robert Horry(Probably not)
Raja Bell
Tim Thomas
Fabricio Oberto
Kurt Thomas
Speedy Claxton
Brian Cook
Brent Berry
Marcus Camby
Udonis Haslem
Mark Blount
Francisco Elson
Brian Cardinal
Etan Thomas
Antonio Daniels
Rasual Butler
Cuttino Mobley
Earl Watson
Chucky Atkins
Damien Wilkins
Anthony Johnson
Ben Wallace
Travis Outlaw
Steve Blake
Shareef Abdur-Raheem
Mikki Moore
Kyle Korver

All these players could be available and possibly cut during this offseason or during the season itself. Alot of these players would already know our system.

I'm just saying, an extra 2.5 million in trade asset is not such a bad thing.

And like I said if he is on the roster I believe he has enough left in him to contribute.

So please don't freak out.

GO SPURS GO

RiverwalkParade
06-30-2009, 01:28 PM
If this package is going to be shipped out, it's not happening until the deadline. We can hope that a preseason playoff team struggles and opts to dump salary at the deadline rather than continue to compete for the playoffs.

Otherwise we could use this combo at the deadline to try and get what we really need after we have a few months to assess what we really need.

I think we will be aggressive in the FA market and then wait it out until February.

TimDunkem
06-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Without Mason we have no depth at SG. I'm for a Finley/Bonner/Williams trade.

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 01:34 PM
If this package is going to be shipped out, it's not happening until the deadline. We can hope that a preseason playoff team struggles and opts to dump salary at the deadline rather than continue to compete for the playoffs.

Otherwise we could use this combo at the deadline to try and get what we really need after we have a few months to assess what we really need.

I think we will be aggressive in the FA market and then wait it out until February.

Voice of reason.

EricB
06-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Those 2010 teams would love to have Bonner and Finley's contracts. What can we get from the Knicks, Nets, or Heat?

Hmm.

Boone? :)

EricB
06-30-2009, 01:47 PM
A million bucks isn't within the 125%?

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Bulls aren't going to do anything with Salmons until they resolve their situation with Ben Gordon. If someone throws stupid money at Gordon they'll let him walk and keep Salmons for themselves.

Foster or Collison are the only two logical targets I see. And the Spurs would probably have to kick in a little extra to get those deals done.

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Those 2010 teams would love to have Bonner and Finley's contracts. What can we get from the Knicks, Nets, or Heat?

Looking those teams I don't come up with much. Unless one of those teams are willing to throw us a good player then I don't know if it's worth it for the Spurs side.

NJ: Battie but that couldn't be completed until August 25th.

Najera/Williams also works.

NY: Jeffries.

Only other option would be to throw in Mason and get Curry.

I guess a S/T option for Lee?

Miami: Jones and Cook works. I guess they'd be willing to part with Cook if it meant getting Jones off the books.

tav1
06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Trade-drunk singalong:

Marvin Williams for a S&T

Dorell Wright and James Jones in a cap dump

Fin, Bonner and Splitter for Tyrus Thomas

Fin and Bonner for Posey---good odds on that one, I bet; NO is desperate to cut cap

Trimble87
06-30-2009, 02:03 PM
not to many trades here look the least bit enticing. Bonner IMO has more value to us than anything we could get in a trade for him. I think we add a scrappy defensive center like Andersen or Varejao, bring in some of our existing assets, and call it an offseason.

I seriously doubt we trade Finley and Bonner. We need a bench and these guys are reasonably priced back ups that know the system. We need one or 2 bigs out of FA and we should be cocked and loaded.

Sheed/Ian/Bonner
Duncan/Blair
RJ/Finely/Gist
Mason/Manu/McClinton
Parker/Hill

With Ian and Bonner taking up some of the minutes at the 4 and Manu and Mason any additional minutes at the 1 and we are going to be very difficult to beat. I wouldn't have any problem bringing back Oberto or Rasho cheap as an insurance big or a vet pg at the minimum as insurance.:lobt2:

+1

I dont expect Bonner or Finley to be traded.

Mugen
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
id love for it to happen but i just dont see Pop trading two more guys who know the system very well for someone who doesn't

prove me wrong Pop.

Bruno
06-30-2009, 04:05 PM
An asset not to forget is Marcus Williams contract.
I don't have the specifics but it's highly likely that he is fully non-guaranteed for the moment. It's a little like with Bowen and Oberto contract: it can provide a team some immediate cap relief.

A Bonner+Finley+Williams can allow Spurs to get a player paid $8.3M. The other team can waive Williams and only have $5.8M in salary. It makes a $2.5M saving for the 09-10 year. You can also imagine a Finley buyout and the other team saving about $1M more.