PDA

View Full Version : San Antoino Spurs Summer League Preview

scottspurs
06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2009/6/28/928730/the-san-antonio-spurs-nba-summer

The San Antonio Spurs NBA Summer League Preview
by AusTechSpur on Jun 29, 2009 9:23 AM CDT 8 comments
As I mentioned, I will be in Las Vegas for the whole thing. Expect a flurry of activity in this here space. Who's going? Why should you care? What to expect? When are the games? Hop your bad self on in and take a peek.

Who's going?

As of right now, I expect the following players to be participating in the NBA Summer League for the Spurs.

George Hill
Ian Mahinmi
Marcus Williams
James Gist
Dejuan Blair
Jack McClinton
Eric Dawson
Other possible participants:

Malik Hairston
Nando De Colo
Why Should You Care?

Free agency starts next Wednesday, and that will have a big effect on the Spurs roster, but as of right now the Spurs only have 8 guys under contract. Michael Finley has yet to exercise his player option and Marcus William's contract is not guaranteed. So the Spurs have up to 7 spots available right now. Compare this with last year, when the Spurs entered the Summer League with 14 guys under contract. There is a LOT of opportunity right now.

What to expect?

Team-wise, this should be a fairly strong Summer League entry by the Spurs. George has a season under his belt, Ian has been in the system, this is the second Summer League for Gist and Hairston, and the third for Williams. But, the Summer League isn't about team success. It is about evaluating players. If I was Gregg Popovich, this is what I would want to see from each player:

George Hill - George is already under contract. He's not playing for a roster spot. I think George has one task and one task only. Run the point effectively. The Spurs are counting on him to be the back up point guard this year. He needs to prove he's ready for it the ballhandling aspects of it. We know he can play defense and we know he can contribute off the ball. But, can he run the team? He had very mixed success last year in this endeavor and he will need the work in Summer League. I want to see him run the break. I want to see him get the team into sets. But, most importantly, I want to see him handle the pressure. Opposing point guards caused him problems last year when the bodied him up at halfcourt. He needs to learn to not be passive. I'd also like to see him show improvement in finishing around the rim. As Stampler said several times last year, he makes his layups more difficult than they need to be. I expect him to get 30-32 minutes/game (It's a 40 minute game) running the show.

Ian Mahinmi - Ian is also under contract and is not playing for a roster spot. I want to see something, anything. Make some shots. Bang in the paint. Grab some boards. Run the court. I'd just want to see him play and get some rhythm. I wouldn't need to see him dominate, but I would need to see him compete on an even level and not look lost. I expect the team will try to run a significant amount of the offense through Ian in the blocks. While Ian isn't playing for a roster spot, I think he is playing for the $2.4 million on his 2011 team option. I think they have to make the decision before the season starts and I don't think it is a gimme at this point. He needs to make it a gimme. That $2.4 million will go a long way toward signing Tiago next summer. Oh yeah, I also want to see him stay healthy.

Marcus Williams - Marcus IS playing for money. He has a non-guaranteed contract for this year and I'm sure the Spurs front office will have an eagle-eye on Marcus. I think he carries the biggest burden on the team. He'll be expected to be the playmaker from the wing creating for others, knocking down shots, and playing some serious defense. Having George around will help him because the offense should flow fairly well. I have no sense for what he can do at this level and I am eager to watch him play again. Last time I saw him was early in the 07-08 Toros season.

James Gist - Another guy playing for a roster spot. If not with the Spurs, then somebody else in the NBA. He needs to play defense, show the ability to rebound using position, and knock down open shots. The man is a great athlete. The team knows he can dunk, run, and leap. He needs to show that he has rounded out his game and improved his fundamentals. His straight up man-to-man defense will be very important because I think they will try to see what he can do with 3's and 4's.

DeJuan Blair - Be a bully. I know that's what I want to see him do. Be a bully in the paint without committing stupid fouls. Don't be a Danny Fortson, be a Jason Maxiell. I would also like to see his all around game. Does he pass? What's his shot like from 10 feet? Can he move laterally?

Jack McClinton - Can he get off his shot against a motivated defender and will he work his butt off on defense? He doesn't have the freak-ish arms that George has that allows him to play the off guard defensively so Jack is going to have to prove he will work harder than everybody on that end.

Eric Dawson - Another guy who is going to have to show he can bang. He's a big man and he will need to show he can be a bully in the paint. He'll also need to hit the 15 footer and prove he can defend mobile 4's.

Malik Hairston - I think Malik has a decent chance to claim the Ime role. The wing defender who handles the more powerful 3's like Artest and Anthony. To get that role, he needs to prove he can defend. Duh. But, he also needs to show he can hit the open jumper. He's already proven to me that he has what Ime didn't have. The ability to finish. Ime didn't have that explosion around the rim. Malik has that.

Nando De Colo - I really doubt he'll be over, but it is possible. I think the Spurs would have to sign him to a guaranteed contract for the season to get him to play in the Summer League. I'd think if he was that interested in coming over AND that good he would have been drafted higher. What do I know? I'd love to see him though.

I think the Spurs would be ecstatic if they could get 3 players, not counting George and Ian, out of the Summer League team. It's possible they get more, but I have my doubts.

When are the games?

The Summer League starts Friday, July 10th. However, the Spurs don't play their first game until Sunday, July 12th. The Spurs schedule is (all times Spurs time):

Sunday, July 12th at 11:00 am vs New Orleans Hornets
Tuesday, July 14th at 5:00 pm vs Denver Nuggets
Thursday, July 16th at 3:30 pm vs OKC Thunder
Saturday, July 18th at 5:30 pm vs Portland Trail Blazers
Sunday, July 19th at 3:00 pm vs Memphis Grizzlies
You can view the entire schedule here. You should be able to watch every Summer League game on NBA.com. They should be streaming them all.

Scott from Ridiculous Upside has a post up beginning to compile the rosters.

I had hoped to have groundbreaking technological experience for you guys, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I'm not sure yet how I'll be covering the games. I might be blogging, I might be taking notes, I might watch all the games by everybody, I don't know. What I do know is that I'll be posting a lot?

For you Twitter hounds out there, we are at @poundingtherock http://twitter.com/poundingtherock

DesignatedT
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
What about Austin Nichols?? Im really hoping this guy is going to be on our SL team.

yavozerb
06-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Great post scott, Looking forward to reading some of your reviews about these players. I remember bruno mentioning a player from france (not nando) who would be on the summer league roster, any news about this player (sorry cant remember his name).

DesignatedT
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I think were talking about the same guy^^^ Nichols played in france and won french league mvp but is an american i believe.

scottspurs
06-29-2009, 01:43 PM
yes Austin Nichols is another guy who could be on the Spurs summer league roster. If he is on the roster he needs show what he can do on both ends of the court. If he impresses the spurs and michael finley opts out then he has a great shot at making the
09/10 roster. We showed potential as a defender in France.

dougp
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Uh, how could Gist play for another NBA team when the Spurs hold his rights?

tomtom
06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
IIRC he's gonna be in the Mav's SL

scottspurs
06-29-2009, 01:51 PM
I would also like to see Viktor Sanikidze come over for summer league and some undrafted rookies like Dionte Christmas or Curtis Jerrells who have potential.

Tully365
06-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I hope there are a couple of centers there too...Dwayne Jones of the the Toros, Darryl Watkins....

scottspurs
06-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Uh, how could Gist play for another NBA team when the Spurs hold his rights?

If Gist doesn't make the 15 man roster for next season I believe he would be a free agent, once he started playing for the Toros he would be up for grabs at any point.

DBMethos
06-29-2009, 02:14 PM
The summer league team should beast this year.

objective
06-29-2009, 02:15 PM
The Spurs don't need to sign Gist to go to training camp, they'd still keep his rights.

Only if they sign him for the season and cut him do they lose their rights.

Summer League doesn't have anything to do with it, just ask Mahinmi and Sanikidze who both played in SL and went back to europe without being signed.

bigdog
06-29-2009, 02:16 PM
If Gist doesn't make the 15 man roster for next season I believe he would be a free agent, once he started playing for the Toros he would be up for grabs at any point.

Yeah, but usually if the Spurs have the 15-man roster, one or two of them could be assigned to the Toros, which could help out Gist a lot, if the Spurs don't want him to go to another team. He would be under contract with the Spurs, just assigned to the Toros.

lurker23
06-29-2009, 02:22 PM
The Spurs don't need to sign Gist to go to training camp, they'd still keep his rights.

Summer League doesn't have anything to do with it, just ask Mahinmi and Sanikidze who both played in SL and went back to europe without being signed.

This is absolutely correct.

The only way the Spurs lose Gist's rights is if:
a.) They sign him for training camp, then release him.
b.) He stops playing professional basketball for a full year.

Even if he were to sign in the D-League on his own accord (which he wouldn't want to do financially, but could if he really wanted to stay in the States), the Spurs would still retain his rights.

scottspurs
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM

your right.

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
The upcoming season is obviously a big one for Mahinmi. Unfortunately he was injured last season, when all the minutes he could have wanted were available.

Spurs fans like to get in digs at Mahinmi, but he's done what has been asked of him.

EricB
06-29-2009, 02:43 PM
The new Spurs fans are the ones that take digs.

The ones who don't know what its like to root for tough to watch teams.

Mr. Body
06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Over/Under on Mahinmi getting hurt within two games?

bigdog
06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Over/Under on Mahinmi getting hurt within two games?

I don't think the Spurs will let Mahinmi play at all until they know his ankle is absolutely 100%

Marcus Bryant
06-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Like I said...

Mr. Body
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't think the Spurs will let Mahinmi play at all until they know his ankle is absolutely 100%

Dude, he gets hurt any which way. He'll fall awkwardly and that'll be it. Hip flexor or whatever.

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
This is absolutely correct.

The only way the Spurs lose Gist's rights is if:
a.) They sign him for training camp, then release him.
b.) He stops playing professional basketball for a full year.

Even if he were to sign in the D-League on his own accord (which he wouldn't want to do financially, but could if he really wanted to stay in the States), the Spurs would still retain his rights.

It's important to remember though that in order for the Spurs to keep Gist's rights they have to make him a qualifying offer every year. Gist can accept that qualifying offer any time he wants and if he accepts it, he's signed. The Spurs would then have to make a decision on whether to keep him or cut him. One scenario where the Spurs could get burned is if they want Gist to go back to Europe, but he doesn't want to. He could tell the Spurs he intends to take the QO and then the Spurs need to decide whether they want to keep him on their roster, or cut him and make him a free agent.

objective
06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
It's important to remember though that in order for the Spurs to keep Gist's rights they have to make him a qualifying offer every year. Gist can accept that qualifying offer any time he wants and if he accepts it, he's signed. The Spurs would then have to make a decision on whether to keep him or cut him. One scenario where the Spurs could get burned is if they want Gist to go back to Europe, but he doesn't want to. He could tell the Spurs he intends to take the QO and then the Spurs need to decide whether they want to keep him on their roster, or cut him and make him a free agent.

are you sure? I just looked through Coon's faq and couldn't find anything like that. I would think that if that was true then Karaulov would have already taken the money and showed up to get his two weeks before getting cut to bask in the dollars he's surely not making in Russia.

---

EDIT

I see that you're talking about the required tender due by September 6th. Is that yearly for each pick?

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 03:36 PM
EDIT

I see that you're talking about the required tender due by September 6th. Is that yearly for each pick?

Yeah I goofed and said QO when I should have said required tender. It is a yearly requirement. That provision is in there to keep teams from drafting a guy and then just holding him hostage forever by refusing to offer him a contract, yet still holding on to his rights. The reason guys like Karalov don't accept it is because it's a 1yr, league min deal unguaranteed. It would be pretty dangerous for these guys to force a team's hand into taking them, moving overseas and then having the team cut you because they don't want you anymore.

objective
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Karaulov should do it and just get a hotel and enjoy his week in camp, and spend the rest of his time at the theme parks and the Alamo.

Spurs Brazil
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
What's the deadline for the Spurs to pick Ian option?

Spurs_9_20_21
06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for sharing, I really wanted to know who was going to be on the roster.

bigdog
06-29-2009, 05:06 PM
What's the deadline for the Spurs to pick Ian option?

I thought they picked up the option for the last 2 years on his contract sometime last year.